View Full Version : Red Dot on G26?

Redhat
02-05-2020, 10:31 PM
Anyone use a red dot on a Glock 26?

What are the options?

Thanks

YVK
02-05-2020, 10:36 PM
Any aftermarket milling option works. I've some experience, not problems with performance, gun or optic.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40208-RMR-ready-Glock-26

RAM Engineer
02-06-2020, 07:05 AM
Glock has made factory MOS G26 for the military. It was some version of the MK26 iirc. Never seen any for sale commercially though.

HeavyDuty
02-06-2020, 08:11 AM
I would consider milling my 26.5, but I’m not entirely sure a RMR cut will still be relevant in 20 or even 10 years. So, I’m waiting for a 26.5 MOS to come along. I would RDS my 26 in a heartbeat.

I saw mention of a new open source mount footprint that was introduced at SHOT... if that gets traction, it would be an option.

TheCarl
02-06-2020, 09:40 AM
In these parts, a G19 plus optic with the grip cut short for G26 mags is more popular, even though it's more finicky and expensive.

Ndbbm
02-06-2020, 11:16 AM
In these parts, a G19 plus optic with the grip cut short for G26 mags is more popular, even though it's more finicky and expensive.

Why finicky?

Jason

TheCarl
02-06-2020, 11:36 AM
Why finicky?

Jason

In my opinion, every custom job carries a risk of something going wrong. There's also the time and potentially a shipping complication.

Using a vetted, reputable shop reduces these risks, but cannot eliminate them. I'm not speaking of purely mechanical matters, though of course that could also occur.

I personally think it's an acceptable risk, and I'm thinking about going this route myself. YMMV

Ndbbm
02-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Ok, thanks for the follow up.

Jason

TheCarl
02-06-2020, 12:05 PM
Ok, thanks for the follow up.

Jason

There are older posts (created years before this subforum existed) with pics and discussion of the cut G19.

HeavyDuty
02-06-2020, 04:28 PM

I’ve test fitted my 19.5 MOS top end with RMR on my 26.5 frame using a Lone Wolf dust cover filler, but I haven’t shot it yet.

Redhat
02-06-2020, 06:04 PM
So chopped G19's, thread drift and stuff aside, how about getting back on target discussing a basic G26 with red dot?

Some questions that occurred to me:

- How much does it defeat the purpose of the G26 (concealability)?

- Since it would be new to me, what are the pro's / con's of going with a dovetail type mount just to try it out before permanently altering the pistol (slide milling)?

- Is there a particular size that works better on smaller pistols?

Thanks again

HeavyDuty
02-06-2020, 06:12 PM
I don’t find my RMR equipped 19 conceals IWB appreciably worse than my iron sighted version. I wouldn’t expect anything different from a 26.

I handled a gun with a dovetail mount, and I felt it was unacceptably tall.

I think I would just go with an RMR - width isn’t a problem, and it would be the same hold as my 19.

757_Magnum
02-06-2020, 06:50 PM
I bit the bullet and had mine milled by Maple Leaf Firearms. They had a package deal that included the front slide serrations, deepening the rear ones, and nitride refinishing. I opted to have the sights placed in front of the optic to reduce the chances of the dot being blocked by a less than perfect presentation. I plan to try out a Dawson fiber optic front soon. It initially had trouble with some light 147gr reloads that my RMRed G19.5 digested easily, but hasn't had any problem with the last 200 rounds after I bumped the load up .2 grains. I know that's not much of a reliability test, but I'll be wringing it out some more in the coming weeks.

I'm a little Asian guy with an athletic build at 5'5" at 150 lbs with a size 30 waist, and I currently carry at 4 o'clock in a JM Custom IWB 3 built for a G19 with zero degree cant. Concealability is reduced for me slightly because I wear my shirts a little on the fitted side and I just don't have much real estate on my body from front to back. The right corner of the RMR prints a little and sometimes keeps some material from dropping back down after I raise my arms, but it really isn't enough to be an issue. Most of you guys should have even less of a problem concealing.

You said this is new to you. Are you referring to shooting an optic mounted pistol in general, or specifically on a G26?

https://i.imgur.com/KTyC4cp.jpg

Redhat
02-06-2020, 07:03 PM
I don’t find my RMR equipped 19 conceals IWB appreciably worse than my iron sighted version. I wouldn’t expect anything different from a 26.

I handled a gun with a dovetail mount, and I felt it was unacceptably tall.

I think I would just go with an RMR - width isn’t a problem, and it would be the same hold as my 19.

Thanks,

"Tall" would be a future issue if I decide I like using a red dot on that little gun.

YVK
02-06-2020, 08:17 PM

- Since it would be new to me, what are the pro's / con's of going with a dovetail type mount just to try it out before permanently altering the pistol (slide milling)?

- Not a whole lot. I have RMR forward of the rear sight on that G26 I posted a link to. That means that RMR is closer to the belt line and conceals better. There is some extra print, but G26 is a chunky little thing so any losses here are nonincremental.

- I owned two dovetail mounts for two different guns and both sucked one way or another. It is probably a smart idea but executions that I've seen were less impressive.

- G26 has a standard width slide so I don't see a reason for anything other than RMR.

Redhat
02-06-2020, 08:19 PM
- Not a whole lot. I have RMR forward of the rear sight on that G26 I posted a link to. That means that RMR is closer to the belt line and conceals better. There is some extra print, but G26 is a chunky little thing so any losses here are nonincremental.

- I owned two dovetail mounts for two different guns and both sucked one way or another. It is probably a smart idea but executions that I've seen were less impressive.

- G26 has a standard width slide so I don't see a reason for anything other than RMR.

Copy thanks

HeavyDuty
02-06-2020, 09:12 PM
Thanks,

"Tall" would be a future issue if I decide I like using a red dot on that little gun.

That’s a good point - a dovetail mount might make a decent reversible proof of concept.

HCM
02-06-2020, 09:33 PM
So chopped G19's, thread drift and stuff aside, how about getting back on target discussing a basic G26 with red dot?

Thanks again

Another option - Brownells makes an RDS ready G26 slide, though I believe it is only compatible with gen 3.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/rmr-slide-window-for-glock-26-gen-1-4-ss-nitride-sku078000479-123831-228134.aspx

awp_101
02-06-2020, 09:40 PM
Thanks,

That’s a good point - a dovetail mount might make a decent reversible proof of concept.
That's exactly what I used this mount for on my 19 and if I was considering a 26 I'd do the same thing. Completely reversible and after 2 range trips with this setup I'm ready to either have this slide milled or to pick up a proven aftermarket slide.

Redhat
02-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Another option - Brownells makes an RDS ready G26 slide, though I believe it is only compatible with gen 3.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/rmr-slide-window-for-glock-26-gen-1-4-ss-nitride-sku078000479-123831-228134.aspx

Thanks. Mine is G4, but I'll check it out.

ETA - It says it fits Gen 1-4

Redhat
02-06-2020, 09:53 PM
That's exactly what I used this mount for on my 19 and if I was considering a 26 I'd do the same thing. Completely reversible and after 2 range trips with this setup I'm ready to either have this slide milled or to pick up a proven aftermarket slide.

Thanks,

How much does that much offset affect your POI from say 5-25 yards?

UNM1136
02-07-2020, 05:14 AM
There are several threads on G-19Ls and G-17Ks. The consensus is on just about any pistol the butt is more apt to print when concealed (phrasing...) and the trend of smaller carry guns is shorter butt, and narrower frame if possible. This is super true for IWB, and can be less so for OWB. I think I am leaning to a chopped 19 rather than a 26, but I am fickle, and until I have to put down a deposit don't know which I would do for sure.

As far as getting the chop done right there have been a few tutorials around, and for a work gun I would avoid doing the work myself. Robar used to have a really neat chop job. David Bowie would be my choice today at http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/ He was also an early miller of the slide for MRDS.

pat

awp_101
02-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Thanks,

How much does that much offset affect your POI from say 5-25 yards?
Honestly, I have no idea. I’ve only done a rough zero at 15yds and all shooting has been offhand at 15-20yds.

Redhat
02-07-2020, 08:47 PM
Went to the range today to try out the new TLR-6 light / laser and stopped by their gun shop after. They had a few pistol type red dots, mostly Holosun and Vortex. I looked at the Vortex Venom for a minute just to see what it was like to look through.

Talked to Vortex CS later and since they don't make mounting plates...they recommended Evolution Gun Works.

Dave303
02-11-2020, 04:40 PM
The Brownell's RMR cut slide for the 26 works fine on Gen 4, the only issue I've had was some residue in the extractor spring/depressor channel that had to be polished out.
I just need some taller sights to co-witness.

Gumbo
02-11-2020, 08:26 PM
I would consider milling my 26.5, but I’m not entirely sure a RMR cut will still be relevant in 20 or even 10 years. So, I’m waiting for a 26.5 MOS to come along. I would RDS my 26 in a heartbeat.

I saw mention of a new open source mount footprint that was introduced at SHOT... if that gets traction, it would be an option.

And here I was thinking I was the only one waiting for a 26.5 MOS to drop...

earlan357
02-12-2020, 08:43 AM
I had JagerWerks mill my gen4 G26 about two years ago. Occasionally carried it with the 10 round mag but usually with 12.

I ended up using it on the 2nd day of a vehicle class when the front iron sight on my G19 came loose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxK1uAsQLo&feature=youtu.be

Details and pics here.
http://minivandoorgunner.blogspot.com/2016/11/jagerwerx-glock-rmr-cut-and-cerakote.html

Later I added a 2-port comp since the extra length didn't effect concealment. Runs 115 to 147 just fine with the factory spring. Shoots about as flat as a stock G17. In retrospect, it would have made more sense to just pick up a 2nd G17 frame, have it chopped for G26 mags, and swap my 17 slide onto it as needed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6eVOyh99gLc/XkP_kUHTq0I/AAAAAAAAD2Y/hAJWfu2e6ekewIA35WgOkZgt0EM4qmefwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/IMG_7026.JPG

HeavyDuty
02-12-2020, 09:51 AM
I had JagerWerks mill my gen4 G26 about two years ago. Occasionally carried it with the 10 round mag but usually with 12.

I ended up using it on the 2nd day of a vehicle class when the front iron sight on my G19 came loose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxK1uAsQLo&feature=youtu.be

Details and pics here.
http://minivandoorgunner.blogspot.com/2016/11/jagerwerx-glock-rmr-cut-and-cerakote.html

Later I added a 2-port comp since the extra length didn't effect concealment. Runs 115 to 147 just fine with the factory spring. Shoots about as flat as a stock G17. In retrospect, it would have made more sense to just pick up a 2nd G17 frame, have it chopped for G26 mags, and swap my 17 slide onto it as needed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6eVOyh99gLc/XkP_kUHTq0I/AAAAAAAAD2Y/hAJWfu2e6ekewIA35WgOkZgt0EM4qmefwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/IMG_7026.JPG

That JagerWorks cut looks great, but I just priced it out - over $200 with nitriding. Ooof.

earlan357
02-12-2020, 10:48 AM
That JagerWorks cut looks great, but I just priced it out - over $200 with nitriding. Ooof.

I'm willing to pay a few extra $ for a tight optic fit.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZKtVaOl8yl

MAC Defense does a fantastic job as well and won't charge you to Cerakote just the cut area if you're trying to RDS on a budget. https://www.macdefenseindustries.com/online-store/Dedicated-Optic-Cuts-p132658915

Redhat
02-12-2020, 07:09 PM
The Brownell's RMR cut slide for the 26 works fine on Gen 4, the only issue I've had was some residue in the extractor spring/depressor channel that had to be polished out.
I just need some taller sights to co-witness.

That's a pretty clean looking set up.

How well does it carry?

How well does it shoot?

Dave303
02-13-2020, 09:43 AM
I find it’s no harder to carry that before I added the optic. I carry AIWB.
The Brownell’s slide took a little break-in but is now trouble free.
I decided to give optics a try when I started to get back into competitive shooting after a couple decade absence. I shot a bowling pin match and a USPSA style match and found I was really hampered by my crappy eyesight and progressive bifocals. Close range was ok, as I could just index the gun and get a flash sight picture but anything past about 7 yards had me tilting my head way back to try and see the sights, I could make the hits but was very slow. There is a training curve for me as this is the first optic I’ve had on a pistol.
Nothing shows your short-comings like shooting against a timer or another person under pressure!

HeavyDuty
02-13-2020, 09:48 AM
I need to test this - my 45 top end works fine on this 26.5 frame, and I have no reason to expect my 19.5 MOS upper won’t be the same.

I really need to finish that adapter...

JN01
02-13-2020, 05:05 PM
I had a Gen 3 milled by Mark Housel at L&M Precision several years ago, he does excellent work: https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/product/trijicon-rmr-optic-installation-on-your-slide/#slide-model
For great holsters, Dale Fricke makes the IWB Gabriel: https://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/gabriel-rmr-strong-side-carry-iwb-holster/ and OWB Micheal:https://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/michael-rmr/

I find it’s no harder to carry that before I added the optic. I carry AIWB.
The Brownell’s slide took a little break-in but is now trouble free.
I decided to give optics a try when I started to get back into competitive shooting after a couple decade absence. I shot a bowling pin match and a USPSA style match and found I was really hampered by my crappy eyesight and progressive bifocals. Close range was ok, as I could just index the gun and get a flash sight picture but anything past about 7 yards had me tilting my head way back to try and see the sights, I could make the hits but was very slow. There is a training curve for me as this is the first optic I’ve had on a pistol.
Nothing shows your short-comings like shooting against a timer or another person under pressure!

I'm thinking of doing another RMR'd G26 for a spare, but may do a separate slide rather than having mine milled. Trying to decide between the Brownell's and Suarez International. Brownell's is $100 cheaper, but I don't really care for the front slide cutout. Can you elaborate on what issues you had with breaking in your Brownell's slide?

Dave303
02-13-2020, 05:24 PM
I'm thinking of doing another RMR'd G26 for a spare, but may do a separate slide rather than having mine milled. Trying to decide between the Brownell's and Suarez International. Brownell's is $100 cheaper, but I don't really care for the front slide cutout. Can you elaborate on what issues you had with breaking in your Brownell's slide?

The Brownell's slide had some residue in the extractor depressor channel that I polished out. It had bound the extractor slightly when I first tested it.
With the stock barrel it shot fine after that. I did put in a threaded True Pression barrel that “felt” tight when manually cycling the slide, but ran fine in shooting with all the bullet weights I tried including my preferred carry ammo.
I and am going to use it in a bowling pin match next week to see how the set-up works on the clock.

JN01
02-13-2020, 05:28 PM
Thanks.

10mmfanboy
02-14-2020, 04:36 AM
A lonewolf frame could be an option too, as far as a grip chopped g17 or g19.

xmanhockey7
02-17-2020, 11:01 PM
Yes. I'm a fan. To me it's better to do the straight G26 than a 26L. I get being able to throw it on a 19 frame and if you already have that setup I understand. But having shot a straight G26 with red dot I was a believer.