PDA

View Full Version : Want to be a Maine game warden?

Wendell
02-05-2020, 09:28 PM
The Maine Warden Service will open a hiring process for game wardens in April, and is staging a series of 13 informational sessions across the state for those who might be interested in becoming a warden. Candidates must be 21 years old to apply, or be 20 and have accumulated 60 college credits. A list of other qualification standards and frequently asked questions is available here: http://mainegamewarden.com/gethired (http://mainegamewarden.com/gethired) Potential applicants who are unable to attend an informational session can send email to John.MacDonald@maine.gov and set up a meeting with a recruiter.
https://bangordailynews.com/2020/02/05/outdoors/want-to-be-a-game-warden-info-sessions-can-help-you-decide/

Dan_S
02-05-2020, 09:39 PM
That’s a good opportunity. Can’t think of too many nicer places to be, much less be a game warden.

ccmdfd
02-05-2020, 09:43 PM
Just stay away from Derry, Jerusalem's Lot, Chester's Mill, and .........

Coyotesfan97
02-06-2020, 03:06 AM
Just stay away from Derry, Jerusalem's Lot, Chester's Mill, and .........

Castle Rock don’t even think about going there.

ccmdfd
02-06-2020, 09:29 AM
Castle Rock don’t even think about going there.

I heard they had a feral dog problem there, or at least they did at one time.

I've also been told they have the neatest little curiosity shop downtown which is run by the most amazing little devil of a man

In reality, Derry isn't that bad of a place to live especially if you don't have kids or never plan on having them. That is if you don't mind the occasional mob violence in the street, Clan firebombing a restaurant, or exploding factories. Interesting enough they seem to happen on 27 year Cycles. So check with the newspaper to see how close are far away you are to the next one.

If you're planning on having children though, errrrrrr, almost certainly better places to go.

Chester's Mill isn't too bad so long as you stay away from the dividing line between it and the surrounding community. And I mean yards if not miles away. Personally I would stay on the outside of that line, the townsfolk can be a little overpowering with their friendliness. Wouldn't want to live there though if you plan on flying airplanes or hot air balloons, Etc

As for Jerusalem's lot, probably not a bad place to visit but be sure you leave before the sun sets.

Josh Runkle
02-06-2020, 10:54 AM
After reading about John Nores HAHO jumps into the wild to call in air strikes on Muj in state parks - but you get to go sleep in your own bed every night and have very little job oversight - I’m pretty sure I might take a massive pay cut to be a game warden right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
02-06-2020, 11:35 AM
Want to be a Maine game warden?

Kinda.

Like kinda a lot.

Le Français
02-06-2020, 11:44 AM
I’ve known several Maine Game Wardens. The hiring process is very selective, the training is long and not easy, and it seems that job satisfaction is high. They get a lot of good equipment, and a lot of autonomy.

Northern and western Maine constitute a huge patch of wilderness. There are bears and moose, and the occasional wolf and mountain lion. The lakes, mountains, and rivers are beautiful.

Pistol-related: Last I knew, they issued the DA/SA P226 in .357 SIG.

blues
02-06-2020, 12:26 PM
I’ve known several Maine Game Wardens. The hiring process is very selective, the training is long and not easy, and it seems that job satisfaction is high. They get a lot of good equipment, and a lot of autonomy.

Northern and western Maine constitute a huge patch of wilderness. There are bears and moose, and the occasional wolf and mountain lion. The lakes, mountains, and rivers are beautiful.

I'm guessing they rely on the staties for backup? For those who have not worked with state or federal officers doing this line of work, it is not without a variety of risks. That shouldn't stop you, but you should be cognizant.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-06-2020, 12:42 PM
There is a TV show about them on Animal Planet. Northwoods Law. My wife and like to watch it.

Le Français
02-06-2020, 12:50 PM
I'm guessing they rely on the staties for backup?

Not exclusively; sometimes a marine patrol officer, local PD officer, deputy sheriff, or USBP agent is closest. It’s a job that requires initiative and courage, for sure.

blues
02-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Not exclusively; sometimes a marine patrol officer, local PD officer, deputy sheriff, or USBP agent is closest. It’s a job that requires initiative and courage, for sure.

No doubt. That squares with my recollection from those I've come across over the years in various parts of the country.

JTQ
02-06-2020, 02:50 PM
There is a TV show about them on Animal Planet. Northwoods Law. My wife and like to watch it.
My wife and I also have watched that on occasion. My wife's a native Mainer, and I lived up there for about 8 years in the 1980's - 1990's.

We initially watched it to see if we could notice any familiar locations, or possibly a Warden she may have known.

We quickly realized, just like the Maine Cabin Master show, basically all of it is shot south of Bangor. We lived in Caribou, if you can find it on a map. South of Bangor and north of Bangor are two completely different states.

I've driven the chunk of I-95 north of Bangor many times, and on occasion not seen another car on the entire trip. They even have off ramps on I-95 when heading north, that if you get off, you can't get back on to go north. You need to drive south to the next ramp (or turn on the median) to turn around to head north again.

Poconnor
02-06-2020, 03:25 PM
If I wasn’t broken or was younger I would apply

blues
02-06-2020, 03:33 PM

mtnbkr
02-06-2020, 06:13 PM
My wife and I like that North Woods show too.

I asked my wife tonight if she fancied being the wife of a Maine Game Warden. She said "they have snow up there". She doesn't like snow. So much for my dreams of escaping the rat race. :rolleyes:

Chris

Glenn E. Meyer
02-06-2020, 06:19 PM
You might lose the moose race, though. Maine has major demographic problems that are affecting their university educational system. We looked at the Portland area for housing. Didn't impress us, wasn't bad but not worth a move. I'm not being negative, I liked the area, just didn't work for us.

JTQ
02-06-2020, 09:02 PM
The University of Maine is in Orono, that's a completely different place than Portland.

Of course, depending on what you didn't like about Portland, Orono could be even worse, or better.

Screwball
02-06-2020, 09:21 PM

We had a two head up into Canada to pick up some test results... and that is correct. Had to store the guns for them prior to going into Canada.

However, one of the guys was carrying a P239 in .357 SIG.