PDA

View Full Version : Does no one make furniture out of real wood these days?

RevolverRob
02-04-2020, 06:47 PM
Seriously...

I'm in need of some shelves to hold vinyl. I inherited a sizeable collection of 33s, 45s, and 78s from my father, plus the already sizeable collection I had...storage for probably 350 records + expansion space is what I need. And all I can find locally to me is shitty particle board/MFD crap. Not even good wooden bookcases really seem to exist out there anymore.

Anybody got any suggestions for good wood? Because I can't find any wood right now.

(Yes blues, you may now begin).

Blades
02-04-2020, 06:55 PM
Some of Ikea's (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ivar-2-section-shelving-unit-pine-s49248354/) products are real wood.

LittleLebowski
02-04-2020, 06:59 PM
Right here on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/LITTLE-TREE-Industrial-Bookcases-Bookshelf/dp/B07DWRG1YH

SAWBONES
02-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Solid teak bookcases are certainly available, but not cheap.
Much that appears to be oak or maple is only veneer over particle board, unfortunately.

LittleLebowski
02-04-2020, 07:04 PM
I inherited solid cherry bedroom furniture made in the 60’s. It’s remarkable how light, strong, and easily disassembled/assembled it is.

JM Campbell
02-04-2020, 07:13 PM
Have you looked at Amish furniture makers? My parents purchased some book cases in PA when they lived in Maryland a few years back. Solid wood no mdf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoug
02-04-2020, 07:19 PM
Yep, look for an Amish furniture place near you. May not actually be Amish, but it's all pretty much solid wood.

Second choice is to find a local craftsman and have them make you one. One of my friends makes his living making 17th and 18th century reproduction furniture from cherry and maple. Don't be in a hurry, though. Most of these guys aren't custom 1911 lead times, but close.

txdpd
02-04-2020, 07:22 PM
I once volunteered myself to help a friend move his vinyl collection. Those suckers are heavy, with everything loaded I scaled over 31k lbs. 50,000 records came out to about 14,500lbs.

I don't think many bookshelves should be counted on to take the weight of vinyl. Anything over 2 rows needs to be anchored to a wall or floor.

Farmplast S-crates (https://www.amazon.com/S-crate-S-Crate/dp/B00NZIWCGO) are a stackable option. If you're getting into a serious expansion, building your own shelves out of 2x4s will be better than something bought at a similar price.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
02-04-2020, 07:47 PM
IKEA has affordable solid pine storage and furniture. We use it quite a bit when possible, it is well thought out generally.

StraitR
02-04-2020, 07:54 PM
My awesome retired neighbor does. His stuff is both beautiful, and heavy. =/

Guerrero
02-04-2020, 07:55 PM
There's a Penny Mustard in the Chicago area. Check them out.

RevolverRob
02-04-2020, 08:11 PM
I once volunteered myself to help a friend move his vinyl collection. Those suckers are heavy, with everything loaded I scaled over 31k lbs. 50,000 records came out to about 14,500lbs.

Damn, now that's a record collection.

Vinyl is definitely heavy and 78s are thicker and heavier than the average 33, despite being 10" in diameter. That said, I only have ~6-8-crates of vinyl at around 40-pounds/crate. So, that's 3-400'ish pounds, with plans to expand another 100 or so pounds at some point in the next decade. I'm unlikely to inherit another big vinyl collection anytime soon. As long as a given shelf can hold 50-pounds, I should be okay.

Right now, I'm looking at this birch cubby-style bookcase from Crate & Barrel Kids (I know right?). https://www.crateandbarrel.com/sprout-natural-6-cubby-birch-bookcase/s533098 - It is birch plywood, so partly manufactured wood, but is also made in the USA, and won't run me an arm and leg in price. Looks like capacity is around 60-pounds per shelf. At 13x13x13" shelves, each one is roughly crate sized.

Should be about perfect.

txdpd
02-04-2020, 08:16 PM
https://www.crateandbarrel.com/sprout-natural-6-cubby-birch-bookcase/s533098

Nope.

We have something from Crate and Barrel similar to that, it's been a great toy organizer and dresser. It's made to hold boxes on the shelves filled with toys or clothes. That thing would sag in the middle and eventually buckle if you load it up with records.

Joe45
02-04-2020, 08:22 PM
Have you looked at Amish furniture makers? My parents purchased some book cases in PA when they lived in Maryland a few years back. Solid wood no mdf.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkExactly. Doesn't come cheap though...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Darth_Uno
02-04-2020, 08:25 PM
Call a local cabinet shop, they can make one. Won’t be cheap though.

RevolverRob
02-04-2020, 08:32 PM
Nope.

We have something from Crate and Barrel similar to that, it's been a great toy organizer and dresser. It's made to hold boxes on the shelves filled with toys or clothes. That thing would sag in the middle and eventually buckle if you load it up with records.

Damn. I haven’t seen it in person, maybe they meant 60 pounds for the whole shelf...

RevolverRob
02-04-2020, 08:57 PM
Right, so I’m basically seeing that either what I want is going to get quickly into four-digit cost category, or I’ll end up with some cheap ass MDF crap if I buy it.

Time to sit down and figure out how to make it and head over to architectural salvage place and pick up some materials.

I could build you a house, but a shelf? Eh...my ventures into furniture making have been...uhh...middling at best, so far.

But hey that side table next to the couch made from two pieces of reclaimed barn wood and a two old stair balusters is still standing.

flyrodr
02-04-2020, 08:59 PM
Dated, as many offices have changed to modular, steel furniture, but some years ago the company I worked for was basically making that conversion and held a big auction to get rid of all the wooden desks, bookcases, etc. (yes, some were laminates, but some were solid wood). They announced that if employees wanted to buy any of their "own" furniture (stuff in their work areas), they could do so before the auction and haul it home. Truly fire sale prices. I got some bookcases from a storage area that were solid wood, with adjustable-height shelves, 7 1/2 feet tall and 4 feet wide. Best I recall, they were $10-20 each. Might check around to see if any state/local gov'ts/schools, businesses, etc. are having similar house cleanings. Don't expect you'll find any $10 bargains though.

txdpd
02-04-2020, 09:35 PM

Something like this out of 2x10 or 12's would hold up fine to weight. It's not fine furniture but we are talking about storing vinyl records and not displaying a classic book collection.

Cory
02-04-2020, 09:40 PM

Something like this out of 2x10 or 12's would hold up fine to weight. It's not fine furniture but we are talking about storing vinyl records and not displaying a classic book collection.

Speak for yourself. I think that's stylish as hell.

-Cory

BehindBlueI's
02-04-2020, 09:41 PM
I could build you a house, but a shelf? Eh...my ventures into furniture making have been...uhh...middling at best, so far.

Call it "rustic" or "industrial" and then call it a day.

Look into black iron furniture. I built my son's computer desk out of solid wood and black iron.

Plenty of ideas here: https://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/projects/59-diy-shelf-ideas-built-with-industrial-pipe

It's not the cheapest option, but it'll outlive you.

FNFAN
02-04-2020, 09:44 PM
Edit: Whoops BBI, sorry, didn't look at your post before I posted.

I've always liked the look of these style shelves using heavy slabs and steel pipe. May be too industrial looking for some.

Linky (https://www.etsy.com/listing/196853006/industrial-tv-stand-iron-and-wood-for-46)

I think it would be easy to cut the price by half or more if you made it yourself.

There's a lady that makes similar shelves with thick, plank reclaimed wood. I will look for her info.

Poconnor
02-04-2020, 10:00 PM
I live near Amish communities and a lot of my furniture is from them. I bought a wall of shelves (12 ft wide 8 foot tall; it’s actually 4 bookshelves with a solid cap) from an Amish cabinet maker named Stolzfus twenty years ago for 800 bucks. Today I would still look at the Amish and Mennonite communities but many of them have gotten really expensive. For example if they have a storefront it’s too expensive. A co op shop or a family stand is usually better. The best is getting directions from a roadside vegetable/ egg stand to an Amish guys farm. I bought most of mine right at the shop. If you see chickens running around and lots of barefoot little kids working you are in the right place. If Amish is not an option I would check second hand furniture stores; including good will places and then check Craig’s list. Don’t forget used metal office furniture. I found a set of metal drafting/plan draws off craigslist. I also bought a bunk bed for my grandkids off craigslist. I found a guy that builds bed as a side hustle. It’s not fancy but it is real wood and solid. It’s also huge. It’s a queen bed with a full bed over it with a twin trundle bed. Finally build it your self. I recently built a DVD shelf out of pine. I bought a chop saw which makes it easier to build things.

Borderland
02-04-2020, 10:06 PM
I inherited solid cherry bedroom furniture made in the 60’s. It’s remarkable how light, strong, and easily disassembled/assembled it is.

That helps.:D

Darth_Uno
02-04-2020, 10:09 PM
Ive built shelves, end tables, and our kitchen table. It’s really not hard, especially if you’re not overly particular about hiding fasteners.

RevolverRob
02-04-2020, 10:14 PM
I was actually thinking that 3/4” steel pipe nipples + fittings will allow for a 13.5” shelf height, perfect for records. Make the shelves out of hardwoord 2x10s in ~26” lengths would allow me to make a unit standing 36” high (without feet) and have six “cubes” that are effectively 13x13x10” in size.

That said about a month ago, at my favorite salvage place, I bought two 36”x16”x2” oak batwing bar doors. I was going to make a coffee table or side tables. Now I’m thinking they would make a very solid top and base, or excellent sides for for a vinyl storage shelf.

Get a couple of the 24”x48” hobby sheets of 3/4” birch plywood to use as shelves and the top and bottom...hmm...it’s coming together.

Borderland
02-04-2020, 10:34 PM
Gorilla racks.:D

We wuzz lucky. We had oak floors installed about 10 years ago. Cost was crazy expensive. Cost a kidney now. Good luck.

FNFAN
02-04-2020, 11:04 PM
I was actually thinking that 3/4” steel pipe nipples + fittings will allow for a 13.5” shelf height, perfect for records. Make the shelves out of hardwoord 2x10s in ~26” lengths would allow me to make a unit standing 36” high (without feet) and have six “cubes” that are effectively 13x13x10” in size.

That said about a month ago, at my favorite salvage place, I bought two 36”x16”x2” oak batwing bar doors. I was going to make a coffee table or side tables. Now I’m thinking they would make a very solid top and base, or excellent sides for for a vinyl storage shelf.

Get a couple of the 24”x48” hobby sheets of 3/4” birch plywood to use as shelves and the top and bottom...hmm...it’s coming together.

This is the ad that I was thinking of. Lady makes her own shelves -even using solid plank wood puts out a reasonable cost product.

0ddl0t
02-05-2020, 12:26 AM
I could build you a house, but a shelf? Eh...my ventures into furniture making have been...uhh...middling at best, so far..

How about creating a built-in?

http://nextluxury.com/wp-content/uploads/impressive-built-in-drywall-floor-to-ceiling-bookshelves-ideas.jpg

RevolverRob
02-05-2020, 01:15 AM
How about creating a built-in?

http://nextluxury.com/wp-content/uploads/impressive-built-in-drywall-floor-to-ceiling-bookshelves-ideas.jpg

My landlord probably wouldn't appreciate that.

For now, it should be mobile. :D

Guerrero
02-05-2020, 10:15 AM
My landlord probably wouldn't appreciate that.

For now, it should be mobile. :D

Neighbors would probably appreciate it less

txdpd
02-05-2020, 12:20 PM
I would never do built in shelves.

I lived in a place that had built in shelves that were about the size of the ones pictured. Good for text books and cook books, and lots of wasted space. I had a large DVD collection at the time and it 2 deep and 2 high on each shelf, (that's when I had the mental capacity to sit down for 2 hours and just watch a movie), if they are more than long term storage spaces they need to be correctly sized and you're very limited in how your space can change with you.

I went from about 2,000 DVD's to 200 and only 30 of those are not in storage. I bought DVD display shelves were really only good for DVD's and paperback books, getting rid of those shelves for more kid friendly options wasn't a big deal since they weren't built into the house.

TCB
02-05-2020, 12:43 PM
Many years ago (12+) I had custom Mission style cabinets with glass front doors made to hold my record collection and one for my turntable / power amp. It wasn’t cheap but I was able to have it matched to our other Stickley style stuff and am very happy with it. Quality hardwood furniture will last a lifetime.

rob_s
02-05-2020, 01:03 PM
Edit: Whoops BBI, sorry, didn't look at your post before I posted.

I've always liked the look of these style shelves using heavy slabs and steel pipe. May be too industrial looking for some.

Linky (https://www.etsy.com/listing/196853006/industrial-tv-stand-iron-and-wood-for-46)

I think it would be easy to cut the price by half or more if you made it yourself.

There's a lady that makes similar shelves with thick, plank reclaimed wood. I will look for her info.

This is the ad that I was thinking of. Lady makes her own shelves -even using solid plank wood puts out a reasonable cost product.

this style has largely gone out of fashion but it was HUGE a couple of years ago. I built some furniture in this style back in the 90s when I was in college and it really does just require a hand drill for the most part. Home Depot will even cut the boards to length for you.

the latter example is less gooder, IMO. You can resist the moment (racking) forces by over-tightening the fittings to clamp down on the wood, but adding 90s and horizontal pipe sections, and screwing the flanges to the wood on each shelf, will make it more rigid.

Darth_Uno
02-06-2020, 03:05 PM
I threw this together in a couple hours, including a trip to the lumberyard. Not counting stain, obviously.

I’d beef it up if it was holding vinyls, but it’s pretty solid as-is.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200206/af38e02796830047b8b7d4fe860b7095.jpg

15# dog for scale:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200206/338dd3a14fe20aa774c3dd64845db08a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk