PDA

View Full Version : Can G19 have a trigger reach as short as M&P with aftermarket options in 2020?

frozentundra
02-04-2020, 02:12 PM
I have been hesitantly planning to switch over to M&Ps because of the small grip frame. My daughter is old enough to shoot these types of pistols now, and I also much prefer the shorter trigger reach, especially for one handed shooting. However, I prefer 9mm Glocks in every other respect, the Gadget being perhaps foremost among them.

This year's SHOT show seemed to be the year of aftermarket Glocks. Can any of the aftermarket frames come close to M&P ergonomics for small hands?

Are there any aftermarket trigger options that reduce trigger reach without compromising safety and reliability?

Is it realistic to chase the idea of double-stack Glocks with reduced bulk and trigger reach, or should I just give up on Glocks and switch to different brand?

edison
02-04-2020, 02:26 PM
Maybe the Overwatch falx trigger? It looks like it curves more. I felt like the p10c & apx has easier trigger reaches.

I have small hands, I rotate my grip to get more finger on the trigger with a glock.

10mmfanboy
02-04-2020, 02:38 PM
I'd stick to the glock personally. There are plenty of aftermarket frames available. About the only gen I don't know of a frame for is a gen 5.

Overwatch precision takes up the most uptake and still keeps the safeties in tact. I don't know if the trigger reach would be shorter or not.

TicTacticalTimmy
02-04-2020, 02:42 PM
If an aftermarket Glock trigger reduces the pretravel a large amount, it probably also compromises the internal drop safeties.

Have you considered a G48? Should fot better in smaller hands.

mistertwo
02-04-2020, 02:54 PM
The Agency Arms and Apex triggers both decrease trigger reach from what I've experienced. I recall hearing that the Shadow Systems MR918 or MR920 Glock based pistols provide a shorter reach to the trigger as well. I tried a M&P 9C briefly but just didn't like it compared to Glocks and other offerings. Sig has a few grips that work well with small hands as well if you're willing to try them out.

frozentundra
02-04-2020, 02:56 PM
I'd stick to the glock personally. There are plenty of aftermarket frames available. About the only gen I don't know of a frame for is a gen 5.

Overwatch precision takes up the most uptake and still keeps the safeties in tact. I don't know if the trigger reach would be shorter or not.

I know there are plenty of frames, but it's hard to tell which, if any, will address the specific issue I'm concerned about. It seems like trigger reach, or bulkiness of grip, are things that don't translate well into numerical measurements anyway.

On top of that, there is a trend in the firearms industry to not list the relevant information on specialty firearms parts. For example, BCM doesn't list the weight on any of their lightweight uppers. Likewise, the new Brownells WWSD 2020 super lightweight polymer lower AR's don't list a weight in the specifications. :confused: Many manufacturers make 'compact' pistols and don't list the height dimension. Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get that off my chest. :D

frozentundra
02-04-2020, 03:03 PM
If an aftermarket Glock trigger reduces the pretravel a large amount, it probably also compromises the internal drop safeties.

Have you considered a G48? Should fot better in smaller hands.

I have, but for this application I'm looking for guns that are as shooter friendly as possible. Think flat-shooting with soft recoil and plenty of rounds on board.

claymore504
02-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Long trigger reach is one of the reason I got away from Glock. The M&P trigger reach is perfect for me as well as the Beretta APX.

10mmfanboy
02-04-2020, 03:28 PM
You can't really go wrong with either, but I figured if you already had glock, then it would be cheaper trying out some frames then having to buy holsters and mags and everything else. I wish the m&p had the same trigger reach only the trigger broke further away from the frame, when I had the 1.0 's I had to install the large grip to try to move the break point of the trigger further out.

So far I haven't tried the Vicker's flat face trigger shoe on my double stack glocks, but it made a huge improvement shooting the slimline glocks. It makes finding the right finger placement easier. Usually shooting double stack glocks, I use the first joint in my finger and that works well, but if I couldn't reach that far into the trigger I think I would try a flat face trigger.

Danjojo
02-04-2020, 03:33 PM
Perfect reason to take her with to next gun show or nearest decent gun shop.

My 11yo daughter likes the SP-01 best out of all she's tried along with 5" PPQ. Easy to reach and pull single action triggers, basically. For the CZ, Mec Gar 19rd mags are cheap and plentiful with recoil about half that of a G19. Super easy pistol to shoot.

M&P controls are difficult to reach even though trigger reach is short...including for me despite using a large beavertail backstrap on Glocks.

I'd also check out P10 series and HK VP9 if you want to stay strikers.

Aftermarket Glock frames still stick to the 2 or 3 pin design and placement so there isn't much they can do for trigger reach.

JTQ
02-04-2020, 03:35 PM
The M&P trigger reach is perfect for me as well as the Beretta APX.
If you're looking for an M&P alternative with a short trigger reach, as claymore504 said, you may want to look at the Beretta APX if haven't tried them before. They are fairly small hand friendly.

Jaywalker
02-04-2020, 06:04 PM
Not always true. See Tom Jones comments at post #5: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27262-CMC-flat-drop-in-Glock-triggers

Olim9
02-04-2020, 06:32 PM
I’ve heard people with smaller hands liking Boresight’s grip size reductions and there is always the slimline Glocks

Wendell
02-05-2020, 08:53 PM