PDA

View Full Version : AIMPOINT ACRO P-1 Torture Test

Amp
02-02-2020, 05:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAdWWuF0X-k&feature=youtu.be

GJM
02-02-2020, 06:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAdWWuF0X-k&feature=youtu.be

I would never have guessed the LAV was a Military Arms Channel fan boy.

Sigfan26
02-02-2020, 08:10 PM
I would never have guessed the LAV was a Military Arms Channel fan boy.

I’m sure he does what he’s told. He doesn’t want to be warned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willard
02-02-2020, 08:30 PM
I didn't watch it....have they improved the battery run time? What is it now?

GJM
02-02-2020, 08:47 PM
I didn't watch it....have they improved the battery run time? What is it now?

I put a fresh battery in before half time, and it is still running. What do you want?

secondstoryguy
02-02-2020, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty happy with mine despite the battery life. It's put up with a good amount of abuse (LEO/SWAT) to include a six foot fall onto concrete with the sight hitting first(no loss of zero and only a slight amount of cosmetic damage). I change batteries every couple of months which totals about one Starbucks drink a year of battery costs. Super easy to change zero and if for whatever reason it does need to go back because I was stupid and break it one torx screw and it comes off in 10 seconds. I think the quick on and off and ease of battery change would be a good thing for broad spectrum issue to a bunch of folks.

Amp
02-07-2020, 05:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYuz29IBDqA

Alpha Sierra
02-08-2020, 10:29 AM
What did this guy do that Aaron Cowan didn't already do to it?

I get that none of these youtube torture tests are run to a military or industry standard, but Cowan's 10K round test seems the most thorough and consistently done of them all.

Poconnor
02-08-2020, 10:40 AM
I do not understand the battery life issue. If they can make T1s and T2s what’s the problem?

Savage Hands
02-08-2020, 10:45 AM

I get that none of these youtube torture tests are run to a military or industry standard, but Cowan's 10K round test seems the most thorough and consistently done of them all.

Well one huge difference is a that Vickers is testing the revised ACRO, Cowhan has the original one that didn’t have easily replaceable protective windows.

pooty
02-08-2020, 10:57 AM
What did this guy do that Aaron Cowan didn't already do...

be in Delta Force

Alpha Sierra
02-08-2020, 11:24 AM
be in Delta Force

Irrelevant

Alpha Sierra
02-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Well one huge difference is a that Vickers is testing the revised ACRO, Cowhan has the original one that didn’t have easily replaceable protective windows.

That's a difference for sure. Huge? Disagree. Anyway, did Aimpoint fix the dismal battery life yet?

pooty
02-08-2020, 02:54 PM
Irrelevant

That unit does equipment testing for the Department of Defense, in laboratories equipped with first class scientific nerds.

Sage Dynamics methodology = 'hold my beer'

TicTacticalTimmy
02-08-2020, 03:01 PM
That unit does equipment testing for the Department of Defense, in laboratories equipped with first class scientific nerds.

1. Vickers is making a video for Youtube, not testing optics as part of some DoD procurement project.

2. If you watched the Sage Dynamics Acro video, or any of his PMO testing videos, you cant possibly say this Vickers video is more rigorous testing.
For example, Cowan actually shoots the gun before and after from a rest at a paper target to test zero shift. Vickers shoots what looks like a 4" group from 15 yards offhand. By the end of the video he shoots a similar size group which is significantly low left of the first group. Im not saying the Acro lost zero, just pointing out the video was less of a test and more of a commercial.

The replaceable front lens is badass though.

Alpha Sierra
02-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Stop being a fanboy and follow what we're talking about. What Larry Vickers did 30 years plus ago has nothing to do with him driving a truck over a pistol with a red dot, tossing it in the mud, and then shooting it.

Someone else already explained why Aaron Cowan's testing methods are a cut above most every other youtube personalties' so I won't belabor the point.

In any case, I'm pretty sure OD-D doesn't actually have labs for instrumented firearms life cycle testing. I'm pretty sure DoD uses other facilities for that or subcontracts commercial testing firms to do it.

TicTacticalTimmy
02-08-2020, 03:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYuz29IBDqA

Savage Hands
02-08-2020, 04:00 PM
That's a difference for sure. Huge? Disagree. Anyway, did Aimpoint fix the dismal battery life yet?

Not sure why it added in huge, but it’s enough of an evolutionary change. Who gives a shit of more than one person made a review? Nobody is forcing you to watch it.

Xhado
02-09-2020, 12:20 PM

Larry was dropping aimpoints out of helicopters long before Aaron had a youtube channel.

Alpha Sierra
02-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Larry was dropping aimpoints out of helicopters long before Aaron had a youtube channel.

A test without repeatable, consistent methodology is worthless no matter how long ago it was done, or by whom.

GearFondler
02-09-2020, 12:33 PM
I do not understand the battery life issue. If they can make T1s and T2s what’s the problem?They put a weed eater gas tank on a riding lawnmower.

Xhado
02-09-2020, 12:34 PM
A test without repeatable, consistent methodology is worthless no matter how long ago it was done, or by whom.

It's all anecdotal information packaged as in an entertaining form.

Poconnor
02-09-2020, 01:48 PM
So they didn’t fix the battery life?

secondstoryguy
02-19-2020, 09:06 PM
I dropped my pistol from about 4-5 feet onto concrete a few weeks back(it was unloaded and I was moving gear around in my patrol vehicle). The sight was still functional and kept zero but there was a very small piece of debris (gasket material?) inside the front lens. The sight was completely functional and it was my fault that this happened so I decided to sent it back to get the object removed from the lens. It must also be clarified that considering the nature of the abuse that I have subjected the sight to(I have dropped it several times onto concrete and banged it in to a lot of door-frames and other shit) I don't blame the sight.

To say I'm impressed with Aimpoint's customer service would be an understatement. They send me a completely brand new sight via UPS 2-day. I got it about 4-5 days after I sent the old one in, installed it on the gun, and had the gun up/sighted in and ready for duty about 30 minutes after I received it.

As I think I have mentioned in a different post I think that the ACRO mounting system lends itself better to agency/unit wide issue as sights can be quickly/easily removed and replaced. The mounting plate also fills the MOS slot nicely so even with the ACRO removed the gun looks and functions as normal. With this and the easily replaceable battery the ACRO would be one of my first choices if I was going to issue a red dot on a pistol.

We shall see if the battery lasts longer than my first gen ACRO....

Erick Gelhaus
02-20-2020, 11:46 AM
So they didn’t fix the battery life?

It starts with a size issue. As I understand it, to keep the optic within a certain size they had to use a smaller battery than the 2032. Reduced size all across the board results in a reduced capacity.

There have been improvements in both LED construction and wiring that seems to have had a positive impact on battery life. Longer than what it started with but not T1 lengths.