PDA

View Full Version : Karrying the Kahr

DrDave
03-15-2011, 06:07 AM
After a year+ of waiting for the licence I finally got my new Kahr K9 yesterday! :D

Kahrs are rare in this neck of the woods so does anybody have any pearls of wisdom to share on the weapon? Apparently they can be rather finicky with reloads.

I have a box of 147Gr Golden Sabres which I plan to function test with the aim of carrying these. Failing which I have a box of 100 GD bullets that I need to load up.

Could anyone recommend a decent tuckable strong side IWB holster? I carry my G17 in an MTAC every day, which conceals well. I also work in a permissive environment so it's not an issue. If I can save enough cash to go back to medical school next year I will rather carry the Kahr as it is a strictly NPE.

Unfortunately we are unable to try holsters before we buy them. I bought a Shirt Tucker but I find that it creeps up and clips off the belt. I also find that the top of the slide pushes out and creates a bulge

Pistol Shooter
03-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Congratulations on your new licence and Kahr pistol!

I have no experience with Kahr products so I can't answer your questions.

Sorry. :(

However, I'm sure some Kahr aficionado will be along to answer your questions.

What exactly is the process for buying and carrying a handgun in SA, I'm curious ?

JodyH
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
The Kahr's prefer 115 and 124gr. ammo.
The 147's profile tends to bump the slide stop and cause the slide to lock open prematurely.

SecondsCount
03-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Congrats!

I run Hornady 124 XTP's in my K9 because that is what I had originally tested it with years ago. One of these days I am going to pickup something more modern to try in it.

Bob G
03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
I have a CW9 that I have put over 250 rounds of 115gr reloads in and no problems..Added the Crimson trace laserguard yesterday..Great CCW package.. You got a great gun...Learn the trigger with dry fire practice. It has really improved my shooting..

eagle
03-23-2011, 09:43 AM
I have carried a p9 for over 5 years now I use a fobus paddle and a bianchi shoulder holster and a uncle mikes ankle holster. I have shot all kinds of ammo including my own reloads I carry 124 hydra shocks or pmc 124 starfires for ccw. It is accurate with both
these loads.

Jason
03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I have 147 Gr GDHP in mine and have function tested it with over 200 rounds of it without issue. A Kahr cannot be treated like many of the full-sized polymer pistols can be. You can't just load them up and run with it. I recommend function testing with at least 200 rounds of your duty ammo AFTER you have done the required break in of 500 rounds (using FMJ). If your particular example is reliable with your duty ammo then you should be GTG. Do not judge your specific Kahr based on the experience of others with their specific example of the pistol model, they are not the same pistol; do not treat them as such. For the record, my PM9 has been very reliable.

Also, keep in mind these are not high volume pistols. Establish reliability with duty ammo, then shoot it just for fam fire on occasion. I wouldnt run them into the high round counts that you would a glock 19 or P30. They are small, light weight, and as a result will wear faster.

Holsters: I carry mine in a CCC Versaclip (with loop) or Mitch Rosen ARG

LittleLebowski
03-23-2011, 10:02 AM
I found that a light polish using chrome polish and a felt wheel on a Dremel across the outside of the barrel and barrel hood worked wonders on reliability and sped up "break in" considerably.

DrDave
03-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks a million guys! Lots of good tips. I hear you on the round count. This is particularly relevant in South Africa where we don't have a local agent and spares will have to be imported. My main "shooting" gun will be my G17 but I'll shoot the Kahr in the occasional BUG shoot just to keep my hand in.

I might go with another MTAC for the Kahr. I'm well past the 30 day exchange limit but seeing as the holster is unused I'll try and get Comp-Tac to credit it on an MTAC

JodyH
03-23-2011, 02:49 PM
I shoot my Kahr PM9 regularly.
Your hand will give out in a range session long before the gun calls it quits.
Just keep a fresh recoil spring in it and the PM9 will hold up to as many rounds as you can afford to feed it.
I use Wolff extra-power 20.5# recoil springs and change them out every 1000 rounds

SLG
03-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't want to derail this thread, so if any staff want to start a new thread, I'll do so.

I'm curious to hear about current reliability with K9's and P9's. I carried a K9 for a while back in the late 90's and found it to be a superb gun. I've since heard that current QC is not up to par, but I have no experience of my own. It seems that a bunch of forum members own and shoot this gun, so I'd like to hear just how good they are today. A CW9 (is that the cheaper one?) passed through my hands about a year ago, and though I didn't shoot it, it seemed reasonably well made. Thoughts? Experiences?

JodyH
03-26-2011, 02:09 PM
I have a CW9 with a few hundred rounds through it and it's been 100%.
My PM9 has well over 1k rounds downrange with zero malfunctions.
From the reading I do on the Kahr forums, the majority of issues are shooter induced.
The biggest one is people insisting on overhand racking the slide when the owners manual specifies using the slide release lever. They then bitch when they get a feed ramp nose dive.
For some reason people seem to install the recoil spring backwards as well, which causes malfunctions.
The other big issue I see is with the extended magazines.
They don't work.
I have no idea why Kahr even puts them in the box.

Assemble your gun correctly (Todd does NOT need to own a Kahr :p).
Only use the flush fit magazines.
Chamber the first round with the slide release lever.

SecondsCount
03-27-2011, 10:45 PM
About four years ago my brother in law and another friend bought CW9's and they are very happy with them. They don't shoot them a lot, about 250 rounds a year, but have had no issues. There was one complaint I saw on a forum last year about one that was having issues out of the box but the factory took care of it.

I have a K9, not sure as to the year of manufacture because I picked it up used, that runs like a top. The same goes for the E9 I have had since the late 90's which has been thoroughly abused yet keeps on going.

DrDave
03-28-2011, 06:19 AM
I don't want to derail this thread,
Not at all. Personally, I'm keen to soak up any info on the Kahrs. My K9 is a Circa 1998 model, so hopefully pre-dates any QC issues.

The biggest one is people insisting on overhand racking the slide when the owners manual specifies using the slide release lever.
I honestly had no idea that this was an issue. I have always been trained to overhand rack the slide on an auto. I'll need to change this approach with the Kahr

Bob G
03-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I just ordered another Kholster for my CW9 w/CT laserguard..I really like these holsters.. Made very well and comfortable at a reasonable price $50.. For a discount use this code 12-7334 in the special instruction box for 10% off..