PDA

View Full Version : I want a D (DAO) Beretta 92 Centurion. How do I make it happen?

Greg Bell
02-01-2020, 09:10 PM
It was at the local gun shop today when I saw a Langdon tactical compact with a bobbed hammer and for second thought it was a double action only model. I was preparing whatever lies I was going to need to tell my wife about the credit card when I realized it was not a double action model but just a Bobbed Hammer da/Sa model. If I went ahead and bought it what would I need to change it to a D model?

okie john
02-01-2020, 09:12 PM
Tagged.

Okie John

Joe in PNG
02-01-2020, 09:29 PM
It was at the local gun shop today when I saw a Langdon tactical compact with a bobbed hammer and for second thought it was a double action only model. I was preparing whatever lies I was going to need to tell my wife about the credit card when I realized it was not a double action model but just a Bobbed Hammer da/Sa model. If I went ahead and bought it what would I need to change it to a D model?

It's super easy, and can be reversed if you want to.

1) Get a D hammer. (https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammers/hammer-m92-96d-sku913100549-28360-56663.aspx) This lack the single action notch.
2) Remove the sear (#40 on this diagram (https://www.brownells.com/schematics/beretta-/92-96-fs-d-m-22-practice-kit-sid882.aspx#r35sid882)) and spring.

Reassemble, and have fun. The safety will still work.

You could also order a D Centurion slide (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1128550). Just add the needed slide parts, AND add the D Hammer/ remove the sear as above.

I did something similar when I did a slide swap between my 92D Centurion and my 92FS Compact a few years ago.

OlongJohnson
02-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Lurk on GunBroker and wait. They come up. The last nice one I remember went for close to $500.

rcbusmc24
02-01-2020, 10:24 PM
Bought a police trade in 92D Centurion down in Wilmington NC bout seven months ago.... For $289...Had been languishing in the back of the trade in case for a while. Who could possibly want that carried a lot, hardly shot old thing.... It now has a home with the other Beretta's. Night sights even still slightly work.....

Been thinking about trying to build up a modernized one but have had that project on the very back burner while deployed and focusing on other stuff, both gun projects once I get home in a couple weeks and work stuffs...

Bigghoss
02-01-2020, 10:42 PM
I had a 92D Centurion. I slightly regret selling it. If someone were to offer a new one with a replaceable front sight, beveled magwell and maybe a rail I would be interested.

Bergeron
02-01-2020, 10:58 PM
Bought a police trade in 92D Centurion down in Wilmington NC bout seven months ago.... For $289...Had been languishing in the back of the trade in case for a while. Who could possibly want that carried a lot, hardly shot old thing.... It now has a home with the other Beretta's. Night sights even still slightly work.....

Been thinking about trying to build up a modernized one but have had that project on the very back burner while deployed and focusing on other stuff, both gun projects once I get home in a couple weeks and work stuffs...

I had a 92D Centurion that I picked up cheap and recently gifted. It was neat, and I really liked it. I gave it a LTT TJIAB and stuffed some Wilson goodies into it. I was not aware that bare 92D Centurion slides were out there in the world for purchase. Hmmmmm.

Joe in PNG
02-02-2020, 02:23 AM
Got mine at a gunshow for $300. Got the slide relamped by Trijicon back when it was possible.
It's absolutely on my list of keepers.

Bucky
02-02-2020, 07:43 AM

1) Get a D hammer. (https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammers/hammer-m92-96d-sku913100549-28360-56663.aspx) This lack the single action notch.
2) Remove the sear (#40 on this diagram (https://www.brownells.com/schematics/beretta-/92-96-fs-d-m-22-practice-kit-sid882.aspx#r35sid882)) and spring.

You could also order a D Centurion slide (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1128550). Just add the needed slide parts, AND add the D Hammer/ remove the sear as above.

I did something similar when I did a slide swap between my 92D Centurion and my 92FS Compact a few years ago.

Why replace the hammer? The one mentioned already having a bobbed hammer. If the sear is removed, the sear notch shouldn’t matter, right?

JTQ
02-02-2020, 08:00 AM
If someone were to offer a new one with a replaceable front sight, beveled magwell and maybe a rail I would be interested.
You sound like me, that gun is not what I want, but in this era of a seemingly endless options of Beretta 90 Series guns, after living through a near option-less era, it's the "gee, all those models are great, but if only they offered ..., then I'd be happy".

5pins
02-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Why replace the hammer? The one mentioned already having a bobbed hammer. If the sear is removed, the sear notch shouldn’t matter, right?

Right. No need to replace the hammer. Just remove the sear and install a "D" spring to bring down the trigger pull.

Oh, wait. According to the LTT website, the compact is a "G" model. In that case, it wouldn't make any sense to have a double action with a decock only.

Bergeron
02-02-2020, 08:33 AM
It might also be worth switching to the D-style single piece firing pin. It requires less impact from the hammer to achieve reliability in ignition, so you can step down in the hammer spring further than possible in a FS/G gun.

Bucky
02-02-2020, 09:18 AM
It might also be worth switching to the D-style single piece firing pin. It requires less impact from the hammer to achieve reliability in ignition, so you can step down in the hammer spring further than possible in a FS/G gun.

Doesn’t the slide dictate which firing pin can be used?

beenalongtime
02-02-2020, 10:04 AM

Order from LTT a Centurion and ask them to do the TJ and remove the sear, while using the bobbed hammer. Then enjoy.

Bergeron
02-02-2020, 11:44 AM
Doesn’t the slide dictate which firing pin can be used?

I was thinking along the lines of getting a FS/G Centurion and then swapping in a D Centurion bare slide.

Joe in PNG
02-02-2020, 03:04 PM

It will still work as a DAO, but the D hammer is a bit smoother. Plus, it's cheap.
Might as well do it right.

Gadfly
02-02-2020, 03:57 PM
I bought a 96D and dropped in a 92 barrel and mag. Has run 100% so far. But 96Ds are not as easy to find as once upon a time.

I have a 90-TWO I have considered converting to D for a house gun.

TheNewbie
02-02-2020, 04:55 PM
Can the Beretta factory do these conversions? Any Beretta smiths do them?

I know about the Langdon DAO pic , but that was a one time special deal.

AdioSS
02-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Beretta would probably make them if you ordered enough at a time.

TheNewbie
02-02-2020, 07:14 PM
Beretta would probably make them if you ordered enough at a time.

They would. The two I would eventually order probably aren’t enough. :p

Willard
02-02-2020, 08:32 PM
Probably unlikely, but maybe we could do a group buy (I know...these never go well)?

beenalongtime
02-02-2020, 10:39 PM
Can the Beretta factory do these conversions? Any Beretta smiths do them?

I know about the Langdon DAO pic , but that was a one time special deal.

Full size 92 Centurion slides as well as compact with fixed front sight, can be found. (forums, gun parts places, etc)
The issue I see and why I say enjoy a current model and ignore the levers, is finding a slide with a replaceable front sight. At some point, you might end up with a fixed sight model and sending it to Amerigun to have them cut the groove.

willie
02-02-2020, 10:54 PM
I had a DAO and regret selling it. I shot it extremely well. To me they make sense.

SeriousStudent
02-02-2020, 11:15 PM
I bought a 96D and dropped in a 92 barrel and mag. Has run 100% so far. But 96Ds are not as easy to find as once upon a time.

I have a 90-TWO I have considered converting to D for a house gun.

Wow, that is very cool! I did not know that.

I have a spare 92FS barrel. A buddy has a 96D. If I swap barrel, it will work? he's been trying to sell it to me, and this could work out well for both of us.

Thanks again, that's really neat!

Gadfly
02-03-2020, 08:36 AM
Wow, that is very cool! I did not know that.

I have a spare 92FS barrel. A buddy has a 96D. If I swap barrel, it will work? he's been trying to sell it to me, and this could work out well for both of us.

Thanks again, that's really neat!

I don’t know if I would carry it for defense. Mine has run just fine, but you have breach face cut for .40, and extractor set up for .40... but it seems to run fine for me. Just like a conversion barrel for a Glock. I do it because the .40 beast the Beretta pretty bad. Even though I have a Brig slide that’s made to handle the .40, I just find it more pleasant to in 9mm.

Ask him if you can borrow his 96D... drop I. Your barrel and give it a run. See what you think.

Welder
02-03-2020, 08:54 AM
I've been working on a 92D Compact frankengun for awhile. M9A1 Compact frame w/ the grip serrations and rail, mated to a 92D Centurion / Compact slide. Sear removed, D hammer. I think the only thing lacking right now is a rear sight...this reminds me I need to get off a $10 bill and pick up a used sight.

The D series of the 9x pistols has an excellent, excellent trigger. I've had a couple of the full-size and Centurion D models for awhile. The trigger is comparable to a factory S&W revolver DA trigger. The only thing keeping it from being absolutely perfect is a very slight pressure increase that can be felt when the firing pin block begins to raise. It is completely unlike the DA pull in a DA/SA 9x gun.

The slick slide is nice for carry, too.

Geno
02-03-2020, 09:49 AM
I've been working on a 92D Compact frankengun for awhile. M9A1 Compact frame w/ the grip serrations and rail, mated to a 92D Centurion / Compact slide. Sear removed, D hammer. I think the only thing lacking right now is a rear sight...this reminds me I need to get off a $10 bill and pick up a used sight.

The D series of the 9x pistols has an excellent, excellent trigger. I've had a couple of the full-size and Centurion D models for awhile. The trigger is comparable to a factory S&W revolver DA trigger. The only thing keeping it from being absolutely perfect is a very slight pressure increase that can be felt when the firing pin block begins to raise. It is completely unlike the DA pull in a DA/SA 9x gun.

The slick slide is nice for carry, too.

I don't see a 92X D model listed on Beretta's site, what is the model number of your 92X D Centurion ? Thanks

TheNewbie
02-03-2020, 12:03 PM
I don't see a 92X D model listed on Beretta's site, what is the model number of your 92X D Centurion ? Thanks

There are no 92x D models. He was making a fraken gun and/or using the x as a place holder.

Welder
02-03-2020, 01:35 PM
There are no 92x D models. He was making a fraken gun and/or using the x as a place holder.

Correct. Keeps me from having to say "92 and 96" every time I'm trying to talk about the 90 series. But I forgot about the new X models and understand the confusion.

I bought an old 92D Compact / Centurion slide, used, sans rear sight. I bought a used Inox M9A1 Compact frame, removed the sear, and put a D hammer in it. Put an old style Elite extended mag release in it. Poof, a compact 92D with the modern serrated grip and rail that I much prefer. Idk when the last D models were made, but it's probably been quite awhile. My newest dates to 2004.

Geno
02-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Correct. Keeps me from having to say "92 and 96" every time I'm trying to talk about the 90 series. But I forgot about the new X models and understand the confusion.

I bought an old 92D Compact / Centurion slide, used, sans rear sight. I bought a used Inox M9A1 Compact frame, removed the sear, and put a D hammer in it. Put an old style Elite extended mag release in it. Poof, a compact 92D with the modern serrated grip and rail that I much prefer. Idk when the last D models were made, but it's probably been quite awhile. My newest dates to 2004.

I understand now, just didn't know the lingo.

I guess I was hoping my dreams came in and there was a 92X Centurion D no rail. Thanks TBone !

Rhino
02-03-2020, 09:59 PM
Greg Bell... Check your Private Message. Thanks

SeriousStudent
02-08-2020, 10:57 AM
So my buddy decided to keep his 96D, and buy a new 9mm barrel after those nice folks at Beretta USA had a discount code. Can't say I blame him a bit.

I did find a 96D in good shape for under $300 on Gunbroker. So I'll take a spare 9mm barrel I had replaced with an LTT barrel, and drop that in when it arrives. It will, of course, get another set of upgrades from LTT - new thin grips, CS springs, replacement locking block, etc. Depending on how it shoots, I may send it in to have the barrel shortened and crowned.

Now if those 92X Compact models with no rail and a decocker would just start shipping.......

Hambo
02-08-2020, 11:29 AM

That's cool, but to me the coolest part of read D models is the slide without a safety. If I have to have safety levers, it might as well be a DA/SA with a bobbed hammer.

Gadfly
02-08-2020, 08:16 PM
So my buddy decided to keep his 96D, and buy a new 9mm barrel after those nice folks at Beretta USA had a discount code. Can't say I blame him a bit.

I did find a 96D in good shape for under $300 on Gunbroker. So I'll take a spare 9mm barrel I had replaced with an LTT barrel, and drop that in when it arrives. It will, of course, get another set of upgrades from LTT - new thin grips, CS springs, replacement locking block, etc. Depending on how it shoots, I may send it in to have the barrel shortened and crowned.

Now if those 92X Compact models with no rail and a decocker would just start shipping.......

Let us know how it runs for you! Mines a great fun gun, good to teach the art of DA trigger roll.

(Did you and your buddy at least try out his 96 with a 92 barrel??)

JATA
02-09-2020, 07:33 AM
I hope you find what you are looking for. It is an unusual want. I've heard folks say just the opposite - they found a deal on a DAO and wanted to know how hard it would be to make it NOT. Honestly, using the little bit I know about how guns work, I would have to assume turning one from Safety Decocker to DAO would be MUCH easier (for a skilled smith) than converting a DAO to Safety Decocker. I'd get on the phone to Langdon and Wilson, I really can't imagine this being a problem for them. Heck, I'd even check a few local smiths first because it really doesn't sound too complex.

I have always had a HATRED for DAO. I was at a store, picking up a gun I won on GB. He mentioned a DAO he had. I told him I HATE them. He asked me to just dry fire it once. I agreed. After doing so, I asked him to please give me 24 hours, ran home and found someone to buy the pistol I just bought, went str8 back and bought it. I guess what I am saying is - the RIGHT DAO is awesome and I totally get why you want one.

camsdaddy
02-09-2020, 09:15 AM
DAO fascinates me. I enjoy shooting revolvers and a dao semi is a fast reloading higher capacity revolver.

SeriousStudent
02-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Let us know how it runs for you! Mines a great fun gun, good to teach the art of DA trigger roll.

(Did you and your buddy at least try out his 96 with a 92 barrel??)

My benevolence knows no bounds. I loaned him a 92FS barrel and magazine, so he could take it to a range and try it.

Gadfly
02-09-2020, 02:23 PM
I guess what I am saying is - the RIGHT DAO is awesome and I totally get why you want one.

Drink that Kool Aid!

I too hated it. I typically thumb cocked my first shot growing up. I loved 1911 cocked and locked.

When I got hired by the old INS, I had the option of learning to run the 96D or being unemployed. Once forced to master the system, with no optional gun available, I slowly started to come around. After several thousand rounds, I got very comfortable and confident with it. I still kind of suck with it one handed, but with both hands, I can really run it.

Enjoy it. It will take a while to master, but you will. Just be patient.

JonInWA
02-09-2020, 05:29 PM
I hear your pain on the one-handed thing with the 92D... Best, Jon

JATA
02-09-2020, 11:23 PM
DAO fascinates me. I enjoy shooting revolvers and a dao semi is a fast reloading higher capacity revolver.

Only a GOOD DAO feels like a revolver. I had a KelTec P11 (when they first came out 98ish), hated that trigger pull. It stacked so bad - changed weight as it got closer to breaking. Felt like a toy gun. The one that did it for me was a Sig P250. The trigger felt like a tuned revolver (I like revolvers) - light, smooth, consistent front start to break. To this day, I honestly don't know if I have ever had a pistol I shot quite as good as that bone stock P250. I stood side by side with guys (who could shoot) running thousand dollar 1911's and held my own. FULL DISCLOSURE - light strikes were a common place, when I was using Tula. So..... that smooth, light trigger came at a price - it wouldn't pop ALL primers. Maybe I should've worked around it, but I'm kind of a dick when it comes to picky guns - if they can't eat a crap diet and be happy, they're not riding with me. I feed my kids, wife, and dog well BUT my car better run on 87 octane and my guns better run with wtvr I find laying around :)

Have we heard back from the OP? Has he checked on getting the work done yet?

Greg Bell
02-10-2020, 11:54 PM
I hit up Langdon but haven’t heard back. I wish someone made plugs for the safety holes.

AdioSS
02-11-2020, 08:58 AM
If you want to make a 96 into DAO then all you need to do is take the grips off & knock out the sear pin. Personally, whenever I mess with a 92 sear I try to just push the pin out toward the spring side enough to get the sear loose while keeping the spring captured. It is easier for me to wiggle the sear in under the spring than to get the spring in.

If you want you can switch to a bobbed hammer. I have those on my 96G Centurion & my PX4 compact. But without the sear to catch the SA & half-cock notches it is just going to be a smooth DA pull.

If you want to go further then you can find a D slide. That DAO LTT above looks to have a 96D Vertec slide. You don’t see too many of those out in the wild!

Or if your slide has safety levers then you just made a DS model. DAO with a safety.

If your slide has decocker only levers then I guess you just made a new model, a DG :D

OlongJohnson
02-20-2020, 09:09 PM
NIB example just sold on GB for $605. That's a bit higher than the next cleanest one I've seen go, which was a year and a half or so ago.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856405012

I thought about it, but for that plus a Wilson trigger bar kit, I can get a pair of P250s that are lighter and not so big.

Joe in PNG
02-20-2020, 09:56 PM
I hit up Langdon but haven’t heard back. I wish someone made plugs for the safety holes.

A D conversion would be pretty sweet.

Shorikid
02-23-2020, 03:56 PM
I have seen a couple of D Centurions on gun broker for sale at reasonable prices. I think you could have one for under $400 before shipping etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
02-23-2020, 05:10 PM
Another one clean enough that I'd buy it if I was going down this road:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856796197

SeriousStudent
02-23-2020, 09:10 PM

Is that being bid on by someone here? If it is, I will not bid against them.

Bergeron
02-23-2020, 09:13 PM
I had a D-Cent that I picked up to use for dry fire training and as defensive gun for newbies. It's since been passed on to close friends who are not gun people, but who did recognize their need for armed personal defense.

Great guns at an inexpensive price, handily improved with thin G-10 grips and LTT's magnificent TJIAB.

OlongJohnson
03-09-2020, 03:54 PM

Well, only had to bump it $5. Wasn't going to chase it, but when the price stayed where it is, I kinda had to go for it. Picked it up today. Don't remember how many years I've had that search active, but it's been a few. They don't come around often, and all the ones before this have been either pristine and gone for more than I wanted to pay or totally beat to heck and not something I wanted to own. This is just right: slightly used, but not abused, not worn out. Just enough to keep the price right. Should be a good shooter. I do indeed like the balance of the Centurion better than the full size model. It's basically the same proportions as the USP and P226, so the "standard" model is kind of the outlier in 9mm service pistols. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and shot.

JonInWA
03-09-2020, 04:59 PM
Nice pick-up. It's a Police Special, which at that point in production meant that the upper slide texturing might exhibit some chatter marks from the final cutter passes-on the Police Specials, the cutters were allowed to remain used for a longer period of use than the ones used for the commercial (i.e., non Police Special) production pieces. As the cutters became more worn in use, the top slide metalwork aft of thew breach grew progressively rougher in appearance (somewhat like WWII Spreewerk 1945 production P.38 slides).

Operationally, it's a complete non-issue, and how "textured" a Police Special slide top is simply depends on where the cutter life was when it came to that particular slide's manufacture.

Other than that, the Police specials were distinguished by a simpler font "PB" logo, and a simple font "PS" shield slide rollmarkings. Police Specials were available with both standard or tritium sights.

Essentially, they provided price-conscious organizations a slightly less expensive 92FS and 92D (including Centurion) options. Eventually, the designation became meaningless and just went away-Beretta simply went with the limited cutter use standard inherent to the commercial pistols.

Your pistol's photos show that it apparently has a Check-Mate hardened steel basepad magazine, but as far as I know the Police Specials all came with standard Beretta 92 magazines as the OEM magazines.

Definitely know how it shoots. While the balance probably is a tad bit better with the abbreviated slide/barrel, it not really all that much shorter-but let us know. In my experience, it's the combination of long DAO triggerpull (with the necessary finger movement/transitions inherent to the pull process) and then the relatively long slide/barrel which make for a challenging single-handed shooting experience-particularly regarding support-hand only shooting....but it's the triggerpull distance and movement that's the predominating factor, with slide length/weight secondary in terms of contributory difficulty.

Best, Jon

Bigghoss
03-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Well, only had to bump it $5. Wasn't going to chase it, but when the price stayed where it is, I kinda had to go for it. Picked it up today. Don't remember how many years I've had that search active, but it's been a few. They don't come around often, and all the ones before this have been either pristine and gone for more than I wanted to pay or totally beat to heck and not something I wanted to own. This is just right: slightly used, but not abused, not worn out. Just enough to keep the price right. Should be a good shooter. I do indeed like the balance of the Centurion better than the full size model. It's basically the same proportions as the USP and P226, so the "standard" model is kind of the outlier in 9mm service pistols. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and shot.

Nice. I kinda regret getting rid of mine but I have a FS Centurion to play with. And the guy I sold it to loves the crap out of it so I'm not getting it back from him any time soon. I do like the balance on the Centurion a little more also.

AdioSS
03-13-2020, 10:30 PM
This thread needs some pictures, so here’s the 96D Centurion I just bought.
https://i.imgur.com/3zJ1nsfl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7RIVxn7l.jpg

I’ve been wanting to paint a frame for a while, so here it is after a little work.
https://i.imgur.com/MFwziN5l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BWtjKUTl.jpg