PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Hummer

BehindBlueI's
01-31-2020, 08:09 AM
https://electrek.co/2020/01/30/general-motors-confirms-gmc-hummer-ev-for-fall-2021-see-superbowl-clips/

The only part of the vehicle revealed so far is the grille, a glowing sequence of vertical lights set inside a restyled but familiar Hummer front-end design. The GMC Hummer EV will be fully revealed on May 20, 2020, at General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant, where the vehicle will be built. Here are the only specs released so far:

1,000 horsepower
11,500 lb-ft of torque
0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds
So, no info yet about range, price, or volume. However, Stuart Fowle, GMC Communications Manager, told Electrek, “Range will absolutely be competitive with the other electric trucks that have been announced.”

Greg
01-31-2020, 08:44 AM
Does it smell like a steak and seat 35?

JHC
01-31-2020, 09:02 AM
Crimony! 11.5K lb/ft of torque. Will that rip layers of asphalt? :D

Chance
01-31-2020, 09:42 AM
Color me curious. If they can make a vehicle that is obviously a Hummer, but not only doesn't require its own oil derrick but doesn't need fuel at all, this could be a major signal to consumers that electric vehicles have really arrived.

Hopefully it doesn't look like a second grader's drawing of a DeLorean.

BehindBlueI's
01-31-2020, 09:46 AM

Yeah, I don't know nothing about nothing but I was wondering if that's a typo. That's roughly half a modern train locomotive or 8-ish Kenworths worth of torque if true.

Borderland
01-31-2020, 09:52 AM
Electric trucks will have even more appeal than electric cars. More power, more economical and reduced emissions.

I drove a diesel pickup for 12 years so I know the expense involved. Electric will replace diesel pickups, probably in five years or so. Not sure about transports because of range but I could see some being used for local delivery. Just a wild assed prediction.

Rivian looks to be the first on the market this year. Not even a full sized pickup yet they claim 11K towing capacity. To put that into perspective, the new diesel Colorado is rated at 7700 lbs. That's just a diesel killer right there.

Guerrero
01-31-2020, 10:24 AM
I love a good Hummer.

Spartan1980
01-31-2020, 10:52 AM

In my state it sure would. Our roads are a bad joke.

To the thread: If this had a turbo diesel I'd be seriously interested. My SIL's loaded out 6.2L gasser is the most comfortable truck I've ever driven. Never was a fan of Hummers until I drove his. I was an instant convert. INSTANT. The only thing it needs is forced induction. It'll pull some serious weight, but fast it isn't. Still nice as hell though.

ralph
01-31-2020, 11:01 AM
So, what are we looking at price wise with this thing?.....$150,000?

1911Nut
01-31-2020, 01:48 PM
That torque number HAS to be a result of measuring from a different than standard location (at the engine vs. at the wheels?). I have to think that if measured normally, it will come out to about 1/10 or less of the cited figure.

willie
01-31-2020, 02:21 PM
Hummer? I thought ya'll were talking about a 1950's Harley.

LOKNLOD
01-31-2020, 02:23 PM
Color me curious. If they can make a vehicle that is obviously a Hummer, but not only doesn't require its own oil derrick but doesn't need fuel at all, this could be a major signal to consumers that electric vehicles have really arrived.

Hopefully it doesn't look like a second grader's drawing of a DeLorean.

It will require plenty of fuel, it’ll just be burned “not in my backyard” and everyone will pretend it’s free and magical.

BehindBlueI's
01-31-2020, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I don't know nothing about nothing but I was wondering if that's a typo. That's roughly half a modern train locomotive or 8-ish Kenworths worth of torque if true.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gmc-hummer-ev-torque/

"Most EVs have a final drive reduction ratio of about 8:1 (Tesla Model X is 8.28:1, for example)," Sam Abuelsamid, principal analyst at Navigant Research, told me. "With 11,500 lb-ft and 8:1, that would translate to motor torque of a bit over 1,400 lb-ft, which sounds right with 1,000 hp. [Chevy's] Bolt has a final drive of 7.05:1, while [Tesla's] Model 3 is 9:1, so 8:1 is a reasonable guess until we know more about the Hummer."

Borderland
01-31-2020, 04:31 PM
It will require plenty of fuel, it’ll just be burned “not in my backyard” and everyone will pretend it’s free and magical.

Well, Lithium-ion batteries require a lot of energy to produce. That has to be figured into the equation. Also, how is the electricity produced? China, who will have a large share of the worlds electric vehicles, will probably produce it with coal.

txdpd
01-31-2020, 05:14 PM

Best case we’re only getting about 25% of the energy of a gallon of gas to the wheels. There are roughly 33 kWh in a gallon of gas. If we believe the 8kWh of electricity to produce a gallon of gas number, we are using almost 3/4 of a gallon of gas worth of electricity to get a gallon of gas.

NH Shooter
01-31-2020, 05:58 PM
I suspect the decimal point drifted one digit to the right on the torque value.

But the cool thing about electric motors is they produce massive torque at zero RPM.

Borderland
02-01-2020, 10:58 AM
I suspect the decimal point drifted one digit to the right on the torque value.

But the cool thing about electric motors is they produce massive torque at zero RPM.

Probably why locomotives use electric final drive. I think the diesel is used to generate the electricity.

Spartan1980
02-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Probably why locomotives use electric final drive. I think the diesel is used to generate the electricity.

You are correct. It's also so they can reverse the current and use the drive motors for braking.