PDA

View Full Version : I must have this one....

ECVMatt
01-29-2020, 09:08 PM
This would be great with a set of stag inserts...I am a 1/2 lug freak and love blued revolvers.

I am on the hunt right now..

OlongJohnson
01-29-2020, 09:50 PM
Not on Ruger's site.

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUSP-332X

Is it out of stock everywhere that lists it because it's old or not out yet?

A nice Mini-Me to this one:

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUGP35751

And where did you find that pic? I can't find anything about this gun anywhere, except the Lipsey's link and the search hits by p/n. Even Ruger forums aren't talking about it.

jandbj
01-29-2020, 09:52 PM
Visually I think the only thing missing is a Bowen rear sight... and maybe a lanyard ring.

Poconnor
01-29-2020, 10:06 PM
Great; another one on the list. I wish they did it in stainless and did a GP100 version in stainless

ECVMatt
01-29-2020, 10:16 PM
I just happen to have an extra Bowen sight in the parts drawer....I was wondering if the SP101 uses the same adjustable sight as the GP100...

okie john
01-29-2020, 10:21 PM
I just happen to have an extra Bowen sight in the parts drawer....I was wondering if the SP101 uses the same adjustable sight as the GP100...

Looks like it doesn’t: http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=579af53d45fef7275192398acfe03f49

Okie John

LittleLebowski
01-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Damn, that’s purty.

OlongJohnson
01-29-2020, 10:40 PM
Looks like it doesn’t: http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=579af53d45fef7275192398acfe03f49

Okie John

Found a post on a Ruger forum where someone said they'd been told by Ruger that the SP101 and GP100 adjustable rears are different. So this is OJ confirming OJ's info.

okie john
01-29-2020, 10:43 PM
Found a post on a Ruger forum where someone said they'd been told by Ruger that the SP101 and GP100 adjustable rears are different. So this is OJ confirming OJ's info.

Thanks, OJ.

Okie John

OlongJohnson
01-29-2020, 10:46 PM
No problem, OJ.

OlongJohnson
01-30-2020, 12:44 AM
If only they'd follow Taurus' lead and make it a six-shooter.

Lester Polfus
01-30-2020, 01:31 AM
Is it out of stock everywhere that lists it because it's old or not out yet?

I can't find it even as a discontinued model. My first thought was it might be a custom, but the hump on the receiver shows it was originally made with an adjustable rear sight. Also, the sight looks to be roll pinned in place, which is a recent development for Ruger.

I kinda want one.

ETA: Just found it here. (https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUSP-332X)

jtcarm
01-30-2020, 09:07 AM
If only they'd follow Taurus' lead and make it a six-shooter.

That would pique my interest.

mtnbkr
01-30-2020, 09:24 AM
That is sexy. The finish appears glossier than previous blued SP101s I've seen, which is nice.

I don't see them ever making a 6-shot 38/357 SP101 though, it would compete with the GP series.

Chris

Dave T
01-30-2020, 12:50 PM
I don't see them ever making a 6-shot 38/357 SP101 though, it would compete with the GP series.

People who want a 6 shot 357 Mag but don't want the bulk and weight of the GP-100 would jump all over an SP made just enough bigger to take a 6 shot cylinder. Ruger may not want to take advantage of that potential market, but it will be their loss.

Dave

OlongJohnson
01-30-2020, 01:02 PM

No, it would be something the GP series cannot be. Given that the SP101 is already bigger and heavier than a J frame or Taurus small frame, a Super SP101 just might take a bite out of the regular SP101's lunch. Perhaps a big bite. In any case, it would do away with any reason I might have for remembering that the Kimber and Colt Cobra exist. And I'd definitely sell all my .38-caliber K frames.

mtnbkr
01-30-2020, 01:28 PM
People who want a 6 shot 357 Mag but don't want the bulk and weight of the GP-100 would jump all over an SP made just enough bigger to take a 6 shot cylinder. Ruger may not want to take advantage of that potential market, but it will be their loss.

Dave
I agree. I'm one of those potential customers myself. I felt the GP100 was too big for the cartridge, but would like to have one more shot than the SP101 offers. I've been eyeballing the Kimber as a result.

No, it would be something the GP series cannot be. Given that the SP101 is already bigger and heavier than a J frame or Taurus small frame, a Super SP101 just might take a bite out of the regular SP101's lunch. Perhaps a big bite. In any case, it would do away with any reason I might have for remembering that the Kimber and Colt Cobra exist. And I'd definitely sell all my .38-caliber K frames.
You mean like the Speed/Security Six series guns they no longer make? That's why I don't think they'll make one, they already had something in between the two guns and dropped it.

I'm just not convinced Ruger will reduce the safety margin of this gun by adding another chamber, nor will they see it being a different enough gun to slot in between the two existing ones.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this. :)

Chris

jtcarm
01-30-2020, 05:52 PM

I’d be down with that.

The SP is currently neither fish nor fowl. Too heavy for a pocket, but putting on a belt you may as well have six.

My GP100 MC has been cutting in to my K-frame range time lately. Never imagined[emoji15]

David S.
01-30-2020, 06:06 PM
How much bigger is the GP’s cylinder compared to the SP?

I’d be interested in a 6 round SP, even if they had to limit it to .38 Special only for durability.

OlongJohnson
01-30-2020, 07:09 PM
Kimber's ad copy says the cylinder is smaller than its competitors, which at the time and in context seemed to be referring to J frames and the SP101. I don't have an SP101 or K6s to measure; it could be they were talking about the K frame, although if so, it certainly managed to confuse me, and I read and write at a high grade level. I'm not sure how big a circle it takes to keep six .38/.357 caseheads at or perhaps a hair over SAAMI max diameter from running into each other*, but it's annoying that the K6s doesn't use K frame speed loaders. The Taurus 856 does use K frame speed loaders. I kinda feel like the benefit of using K frame speed loaders would outweigh the downside of a few grams and a mm or two of cylinder diameter.

*The GP100 seven-shot .357 has problems with SAAMI max diameter case heads jamming, apparently a fundamental failure to perform GD&T in the design stage.

The Bud's deal on the 3-in. Kimber has me thinking hard about it, but I keep coming back around and bouncing off how ugly it is. Even the Taurus is better looking.

Jared
01-30-2020, 09:46 PM

A “Super SP101” as a six shooter would likely kill the OG SP101 since the LCR is out there now. Still though, I love the idea of the SP101 getting the extra round and really really being worth the weight penalty that carrying one comes with.

OlongJohnson
01-30-2020, 10:24 PM
Kimber's ad copy says the cylinder is smaller than its competitors, which at the time and in context seemed to be referring to J frames and the SP101. I don't have an SP101 or K6s to measure; it could be they were talking about the K frame, although if so, it certainly managed to confuse me, and I read and write at a high grade level. I'm not sure how big a circle it takes to keep six .38/.357 caseheads at or perhaps a hair over SAAMI max diameter from running into each other*, but it's annoying that the K6s doesn't use K frame speed loaders. The Taurus 856 does use K frame speed loaders. I kinda feel like the benefit of using K frame speed loaders would outweigh the downside of a few grams and a mm or two of cylinder diameter.

I suppose if a Super SP101 (SP102? SP202? SP106?) adopted the cartridge circle of the K6s, then there would be two, which would favor development of speed loaders for that spec. And would apparently keep the cylinder a little smaller. As it is, the Kimber is about two ounces lighter, maybe more, than a comparably-speced SP101. The Ruger does look a heck of a lot better, though.

Getting back on the topic of this thread, we should all start bugging Bowen, D&L, and any other likely candidate to come up with a replacement for the SP101 adjustable rear sight that isn't subject to the stock sight's wobbliness (assuming that it's the same design and will have the same shortcomings as the GP100 sight). A Bowen Rough Country on the revolver in the OP would be sweet.

Half Moon
01-30-2020, 10:29 PM
How much bigger is the GP’s cylinder compared to the SP?

I’d be interested in a 6 round SP, even if they had to limit it to .38 Special only for durability.

From what I'm seeing online SP101 1.348" versus GP100 1.557"

Some others:

J frame

K6S

new Cobra

K frame

Security 6

L frame

N frame

Redhawk

Not sure how much that tiny fraction between an SP101 and the K6S makes but maybe just a hair too small for 6 shots?

OlongJohnson
01-30-2020, 10:41 PM
It's about 0.021" radius difference ("about" due to the difference in reported significant figures). If Ruger adopted the K6s cartridge circle diameter, I'd think it should be doable with slightly different machining of the frame window. Barrel centerline would have to offset slightly, but I don't see that being a problem.

Biggest gotcha I see now would be how the Kimber places the stop notches well between cartridge holes. What this means is that the cylinder stop is moved way to the right side of the frame. In the sideplate removed photo on Lucky Gunner, it's evident that the stop bears against the side plate, not the frame. (At first glance, this seems like a weakness, but it's conceivable that the flexibility of the sideplate could act as a spring and absorb the impacts from rapid DA manipulation, reducing or eliminating peening of the notches, the stop itself, and the frame window.) Don't know if Ruger could get to the same stop location, so they may not be able to go as small on the cylinder OD even with the same cartridge circle diameter.

OlongJohnson
01-31-2020, 12:20 PM
For those who might be a little confused, a single discussion has been going on in both this and the 640 Pro VS Kimber K6S (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?39393-640-Pro-VS-Kimber-K6S&p=988684&viewfull=1#post988684) thread about, "Wouldn't it be awesome if Ruger made a K6s-like gun based on the SP101?"

That has led me to go down a rabbit hole on the K6s like I never have before, and I ultimately reached the same conclusion I have been at all along. To my eyes, that gun fell out of the old-growth ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. There is hardly a single detail on it that isn't just ugly-ugly to me. I think with a couple weekends worth of free time with files and maybe some mill setups, it would likely be possible to give it some contours that weren't painful to look at without impairing its structural integrity. But I have other stuff involving revolvers and making chips that I'm a lot more interested in investigating.

And then I come back to the OP in this thread, and that little Ruger simply looks perfect the way it is.

I can't really say that either one would be a better choice than a 3953 in my pants, so choosing either, at least for me, comes down to aesthetics. There is no contest.

I reached out to Bowen, and the man himself said if they can get caught up on production of their existing sights, they will at least look at making one for the SP101 factory adjustable applications. I'm not the first to ask. It probably wouldn't hurt if a bunch of y'all added to the signal...

OlongJohnson
02-05-2020, 08:32 PM
I don't think we ever answered the question of where the pic in the OP came from. It was posted on Lipsey's FB page during SHOT.

03RN
02-05-2020, 09:30 PM
Im a buyer with 6 shots

OlongJohnson
02-05-2020, 11:18 PM
Unlikely to happen without a new frame casting, I reckon. Could happen, but unlikely.

On my personal list of unlikely things I'd like to see Ruger do, a fixed-barrel PCC comes way ahead of that.

HeavyDuty
02-06-2020, 07:26 AM
Damn but that’s sweet. And even a gold bead... I agree, add a Rough Country rear and this thing would be ideal.

Poconnor
02-06-2020, 09:02 AM
I have wished Ruger would bring back the security six series but maybe a better solution would be an SP101 with a 6 shot cylinder.

okie john
02-06-2020, 09:13 AM
I think this might be it: https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUSP-332X

No pics, though.

Okie John

OlongJohnson
02-07-2020, 10:54 AM
That link finally has a photo up. Pretty weak-sauce photochopping of the background. Guess they were under some pressure.

https://www.lipseyscloud.com/images/rugersp101357mag2b170.jpg

HeavyDuty
02-07-2020, 12:51 PM
Made it move...

Poconnor
02-19-2020, 08:18 PM
Has any body found one yet?

OlongJohnson
02-19-2020, 08:26 PM
I contacted Lipsey's through the web site about a week ago. They told me they don't have a firm date to get them from Ruger. "Spring 2020" is as good as the rep said he had at that time.

Baldanders
02-20-2020, 01:08 AM
Why do Rugers have to keep getting prettier?

It's tormenting my Smith-centered heart!

Wise_A
02-20-2020, 02:30 AM
That's pretty?

I mean, the new MkIV is pretty sharp compared to the III, and many of their rifles aren't bad to look at, but...it's a Ruger. And that one's not even a particularly attractive one. It looks like a rubber gun somebody half-melted.

Baldanders
02-20-2020, 02:06 PM
That's pretty?

I mean, the new MkIV is pretty sharp compared to the III, and many of their rifles aren't bad to look at, but...it's a Ruger. And that one's not even a particularly attractive one. It looks like a rubber gun somebody half-melted.

I am of the opinion that newer Rugers seem to have better finishing than ones from 30 years back (if the 6" GP-100 I have current possession of is anything to go by)

I think of it as "de-horned."

coldcase1984
02-29-2020, 10:24 AM
That would be a dandy 6- or 7-shot (if possible) .327 Federal Magnum for woodsloafing or farm chores...

TheNewbie
04-09-2020, 09:06 PM
This is one of the better looking revolvers I have seen in a while.

Sorry for the pic size, but I have no idea how to size them down.

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/15707.html

https://ruger.com/productImages/15707/detail/5.jpg

https://ruger.com/productImages/15707/detail/1.jpg

OlongJohnson
08-14-2020, 12:31 PM
A little birdie told me that these should be shipping soon.

JAH 3rd
08-14-2020, 04:14 PM
https://gunblast.com/MATT-RugerSP101Lipseys.htm

Ruger model number 15707 in .357 caliber.

OlongJohnson
08-14-2020, 05:58 PM
I'm just waffling at this point. The price of the new Lipsey's gun is around what it would take to get a

Ruger SP101 32 H&R with four-inch barrel and drift-adjustable rear sight, just like this one. (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?34643-Ruger-SP101-32-H-amp-R)

when the next one comes up. Don't need both. Having enough trouble justifying one. They also get close in price to picking up another M&P 340. For about the same weight as carrying one SP101, I could carry two scandium frames.

Poconnor
09-02-2020, 09:48 AM
I saw two listed on gunbroker yesterday. I just ordered one from a place in Texas. I am looking forward to this one. I hope they make these in SS

Ptero
09-12-2020, 06:20 PM
I saw two listed on gunbroker yesterday. I just ordered one from a place in Texas. I am looking forward to this one. I hope they make these in SS

I just picked mine up from my FFL. Bought it off of GB. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but overall, I'm digging it. I just ordered a Wolff spring kit for it. The trigger pull is stupid heavy. The hammer is interesting in that its got a framed checkered area rather than the typical serrations. With the factory hammer springs, its a little tough to thumb cock (yeah, I know, I should be shooting it DA).

The bead front is nice too. Once I get the trigger weight sorted out it will be a great "in the woods gun".

ECVMatt
09-15-2020, 09:55 PM
I am fired up to hear how she shoots. Please keep us updated!

Ptero
09-16-2020, 03:58 PM
I am fired up to hear how she shoots. Please keep us updated!

Will do. The hard part is finding the time to actually hit the range.

OlongJohnson
09-21-2021, 07:34 AM

I just picked mine up from my FFL. Bought it off of GB. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but overall, I'm digging it. I just ordered a Wolff spring kit for it. The trigger pull is stupid heavy. The hammer is interesting in that its got a framed checkered area rather than the typical serrations. With the factory hammer springs, its a little tough to thumb cock (yeah, I know, I should be shooting it DA).

The bead front is nice too. Once I get the trigger weight sorted out it will be a great "in the woods gun".

Did anyone else get one of these? Any range reports?