PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer Mosquito firing problems and Trigger observations

HJB
01-29-2020, 02:24 PM
I sent my own S&W M&P 22 compact off to S&W because of constant and ongoing fails to extract issues a few days ago. So, I borrowed my Son-in-law's Sig Mosquito 22 to go to the range today.

I completely cleaned the gun before I took it to the range.

Shot first some Federal 36 grain, hollow-point, 1260 FPS ammo through it. Although I did not have any "fail to extract" issues, I had a significant number of fail to eject and feed another round problems with it.

I then changed to Blazer Brass 40 grain, lead round nose ammunition through it and had fewer fail to eject and feed issues, I still had some. Maybe half as many as with the Federal ammo.

So, my conclusion is this gun is also not dependable for anything other than range use.

One other thing I noticed, and really did not like about the gun, is the trigger. The trigger was very, very soft and required a really long and deep pull to fire the gun. Was difficult to shoot because I actually thought many times that the next round failed to feed because the gun would not fire, when that was not the case. Just a very, very "deep" pull to fire the gun. I'm sure if I shot it all the time, I could adapt to it, but definitely did not like it.

So, will probably not shoot it much but my wife will have to shoot it until the M&P is returned. I will go back to shooting my 1960 vintage High Standard Double Nine revolver when I want to shoot .22

Anyone else have observations or experience with the Sig 22 Mosquito ?

Clusterfrack
01-29-2020, 02:42 PM
Worst. Gun. Ever.

PNWTO
01-29-2020, 02:52 PM
My buddy’s example couldn’t chew through a mag without a stoppage or two and it also seemed to change POI/POA according to the phase of the Moon. He experimented for a long time with many parts and ammo varieties and nothing seemed to work.

He replaced it with a PMR30 and couldn’t be happier.

HJB
01-29-2020, 03:26 PM
My buddy’s example couldn’t chew through a mag without a stoppage or two and it also seemed to change POI/POA according to the phase of the Moon. He experimented for a long time with many parts and ammo varieties and nothing seemed to work.

He replaced it with a PMR30 and couldn’t be happier.

Well, I'm just going to use it until I get my S&W 22 back, hopefully they will have fixed that thing. If it is not reliable after that, I am definitely considering the new Glock 44. I've seen some people have had issues with that also, so king of waiting to see how those things perform after they have been out for a while.

I'm glad I don't own the Sig and my son-in-law really doesn't shoot it often at all either. He hates the trigger too ! He bought it to teach his young girls to shoot and i guess it's OK for that.

HCountyGuy
01-29-2020, 03:32 PM
Any brief internet search will flood you with information on how much of a POS Sig Mosquitos are. They’re not even really made by Sig but by GSG, and Sig just slaps their name on it.

I shot one a while back and remember loathing the trigger because it almost had to be touching the frame before it would fire. I think I’ve read maybe one positive review of the gun ever.

Suvorov
01-29-2020, 03:35 PM
Worst. Gun. Ever.

Well...... I can think of a few that are worse but yeah........

I have a Mosquito and the only reason I keep it around is to train manual of arms for a classic DA/SA pistol.

The guns come with two recoil springs, a heavy one and a lighter one. I found that by using the lighter spring I have greatly reduced my failures to eject and the general reliability has gone way up, though still not anywhere close to my Ruger MK45. The lighter spring may reduce it's life expectancy but I'm not really too concerned as I don't shoot the pistol much and if it breaks........ Well, Bye......

There is a mod out that will reduce the DA pull of the pistol but it really hasn't been a burning concern of mine since it gets shot so rarely.

Clusterfrack
01-29-2020, 04:08 PM
I don't know why the Mosquito pisses me off even more than the crappy Umarex toys with zinc slides, like the Walther P22. Maybe it's that the Sig was sold as a real gun? I don't know anyone who has got one to actually work.

HJB
01-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Well...... I can think of a few that are worse but yeah........

I have a Mosquito and the only reason I keep it around is to train manual of arms for a classic DA/SA pistol.

The guns come with two recoil springs, a heavy one and a lighter one. I found that by using the lighter spring I have greatly reduced my failures to eject and the general reliability has gone way up, though still not anywhere close to my Ruger MK45. The lighter spring may reduce it's life expectancy but I'm not really too concerned as I don't shoot the pistol much and if it breaks........ Well, Bye......

There is a mod out that will reduce the DA pull of the pistol but it really hasn't been a burning concern of mine since it gets shot so rarely.

Well, I'm not interested in doing anything to this one because I only plan for my wife to shoot it for a month or two while my S&W is at the factory. This gun has the "lighter" spring in it and I would think that would be the one that most likely would not have this problem, and I think that is what the literature says.

I think I read somewhere that Sig has discontinued this gun anyway. But the problem with the trigger is not a who or where it is made issue, it is just a crap design. It's not workmanship I'm sure.

Thanks for telling your experience too.

Suvorov
01-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Well, I'm not interested in doing anything to this one because I only plan for my wife to shoot it for a month or two while my S&W is at the factory. This gun has the "lighter" spring in it and I would think that would be the one that most likely would not have this problem, and I think that is what the literature says.

I think I read somewhere that Sig has discontinued this gun anyway. But the problem with the trigger is not a who or where it is made issue, it is just a crap design. It's not workmanship I'm sure.

Thanks for telling your experience too.

For what it's worth, I think Sig recommended CCI mini-mags since they tended to have the power to cycle the slide and had a nice round point for feeding. You might try them out.

I typically run the Federal 36 grain fodder like you....

Good luck with it.

HJB
01-29-2020, 04:23 PM
For what it's worth, I think Sig recommended CCI mini-mags since they tended to have the power to cycle the slide and had a nice round point for feeding. You might try them out.

I typically run the Federal 36 grain fodder like you....

Good luck with it.

Thanks. I'm sure they would like people to use mini mags because I think those are pretty much universally accepted to be the most reliable 22 ammo. But, it costs double what the other junk costs and I'm just using this thing for my wife to bore holes in the air and not really interested in paying double for her to do it.

What gun are you running the 36 grain fodder in, what brand do you use ?

What, if any, problems do you have with that ?

Suvorov
01-29-2020, 04:50 PM
What gun are you running the 36 grain fodder in, what brand do you use ?

What, if any, problems do you have with that ?

I'm referring to the Federal Bulk Pack 22 HPs. I don't do much 22 shooting these days as range sessions are rare enough (1-2X per month) I can afford the full caliber stuff. That said I run that Federal Bulk HP thought just about all my 22s (22 AR, 10-22).