PDA

View Full Version : Glock 45 vs Sig P320

Runt1122
01-28-2020, 11:50 PM
Looking for opinions on the Glock 45 9mm vs a Sig P320 X Compact and any noticeable differences in accuracy, performance, and reliability. Please don’t go down the road that it’s a Sig, don’t drop it...lol.

PNWTO
01-29-2020, 12:20 AM
Wouldn’t the X Carry be a better comparison?

Regardless, both 320s and the Gen 5 Glocks are pretty well documented here. I doubt either would give you any problems. I would lean to the G45 myself but I’m pretty Glock-biased.

Bucky
01-29-2020, 05:50 AM
Looking for opinions on the Glock 45 9mm vs a Sig P320 X Compact and any noticeable differences in accuracy, performance, and reliability. Please don’t go down the road that it’s a Sig, don’t drop it...lol.

IMO, both guns shoot very differently. Is there a range you could rent both? I think it’d be pretty clear choice if you could.

PS: Don’t drop the Sig. ;)

Sammy1
01-29-2020, 05:59 AM
I have both, G45 and P320 carry. It's a toss up as to which one is better. I go back and forth on which one I like better. I did get an X series grip module for the P320 and it's more Glock like (grip angle) but again, not sure which one I like better. The G45 has never had a hiccup whereas my P320 did have failure to extract but Sig replaced the extractor assembly for free and no issues since.

Guinnessman
01-29-2020, 07:52 AM
I have zero input on the Sig, but my two G45’s are accurate and reliable. The new barrel on the G45 makes a difference in the pure mechanical accuracy of the Glock. The G45 carries flat in a JM Custom Custom 2.5, and conceals well under a properly fitting T-shirt.

It’s recoil impulse isn’t as soft as a HK P30, but it’s a flat shooter. It’s my favorite Glock flavor at the moment, and I prefer it over the 19 because of the grip length. Good luck in your search!

Nephrology
01-29-2020, 08:02 AM
I don't trust SIG products so the glock.

cornstalker
01-29-2020, 08:15 AM
For me. Switching to a P320 from a Glock 19x led to measurable improvements in my several of my drill times. It also indexes much more naturally. Accuracy is outstanding with both. I have had zero malfunctions with either, with the exception of when some old Fireclean turned to sludge and brought the 19x to a stop. One-handed shooting is much easier for me with the Sig, and I can reach and operate all of the control without breaking my firing grip with the small module or X-compact module installed.

None of that may matter to you, so you just about have to try it.

All of that aside, as a "bet my life on it" pistol, I am beginning break-in, zeroing, and vetting of a 19.5 MOS this evening. I will sacrifice a small but measurable performance gain for day-to-day confidence in my carry piece.

In short, I guess it depends on what you want it for. For a range or competition gun, pick the one you like the best after shooting. But for me, as a defensive gun, I will likely never stray from Glock or HK again.

lwt16
01-29-2020, 10:30 AM
I have both the P320 Carry (also certified Sig P320 armorer) and was just issued the Glock 45 at work. I only have about 900 rounds through the G45 but so far, it's checking all the boxes for me on duty as well as off duty.

My times across the board are faster with it compared to all my other platforms as well as some well ran G17.4s. Right out of the box, the G45 was a shooter whether it was slow fire bullseye, steel, or running around the range shooting fast.

When we transition at work, there is always a few issues that crop up during qualifications. So far, out of 400 plus copies, we had one with a bad rear Ameriglo sight that had to be replaced. One....out of 400 plus pistols.

Our cops aren't shooters but the G45 has received rave reviews and almost no gripes......which is shocking....because if cops aren't griping about something.....check their pulses.

I'm responsible for almost 40 P320s as part of an off duty venture and we have had parts failures and issues with our P320 carry models as well as a few x carrys. Some were obvious QC issues that Sig should have caught, some were magazine issues, we had a bad extractor, a bad take down lever, a bad RSA....I've kept a list and there's 9 pistols that had issues. Nothing major but issues nonetheless. At the armorer level, the worst part was sourcing parts as Sig wasn't exactly fast in replies nor the cheapest place on the net for OEM parts. My promised "armorer discount" sort of vaporized on my last call to them...even though my certification doesn't expire until next year.

None of that may matter to you as Sig seems to fix their pistols.

I also don't care for the bore axis height on the P320 but that's personal preference. If I were you, I'd rent or borrow both and run a few boxes of ammo through each and then go from there. Buy the one that fits you the best.

As far as accuracy, I get better 25 yard off hand groups on Glocks than I do on the P320. I haven't tried all the loads for it yet but the Glocks are just much easier for me to "all black" a B8 at that distance. So far, I haven't seen an improvement in groups with the gen 5 Glock "marksman" barrel but I do like the crown on the barrel. Maybe I need more time behind the sights or need to play around with better ammo. With it's .200 height Ameriglo Pro Glo sight, I do have to cover the bull with the dot so that may have something to do with not seeing tighter 25 and 50 yard groups. I hate that arrangement but that's not the gun's fault and I can't change it out due to it being a department issued weapon.

So for me it's the Glock 45. Between that, all the other Glocks, my son's VP9, my S&W M&P 2.0, 1911's and revolvers, I probably shoot the P320 the least of all of them. I still manage to run a case a year through it to stay proficient with it and I have some testing to do with it in 2020 so it'll see more use soon.

But that's just me.

Regards.

Danjojo
01-29-2020, 11:37 AM
For me the X Compact isn't big enough to run like a service pistol even though it's as tall or taller than and heavier than the ones I usually carry. For it's size the grip is small.

Would be better with a 4"+ barrel and slightly longer grip like the Carry or Full size...or a G19/45, PPQ, P10C, VP9/P30, M&P, XD, etc.

Unless you really need a shorter slide keep in mind with 9mm pistols there is often a bigger velocity difference between a 3.5" barrel and 4" than between a 4" and 5.3". Service calibers aren't optimized for sub 4" barrels.

Shorter slides tend to be more touchy cycling due to ammo length/shape/charge, grip variation, lubrication and cleanliness, etc. while giving you less sight radius and a higher chance even the better jhp designs underperform when any clothing or other barrier is involved.

Basically they are only worth the squeeze if height and weight are also in the subcompact category or your bodytype really can't get comfortable with a 4" iwb.

For bigger models I would still go Austrian, German, or Czech.

LittleLebowski
01-29-2020, 02:07 PM
I don't trust SIG products so the glock.

Kirk
01-29-2020, 02:11 PM
Really going to depend on which you like best, but the Gen 5 Glocks are just solid. The G45 is my favorite, too. I'm setting another one up to run in steel matches now.

vcdgrips
01-29-2020, 02:39 PM
Sig's QC would have me gravitating toward the Glock. Market support re parts, holsters, pouches, sights and ease of maintaining the gun make the choice a no brainer.
If you can't or won't learn to master the trigger, I would pivot to a 2.0 M&P, add Apex trigger bits and drive on

LockedBreech
01-29-2020, 02:54 PM
The 45 is a great Glock even by Glock standards. Awesome gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonInWA
01-29-2020, 06:05 PM
First, for a true "apples to apples" comparison, it should be the Glock G45 versus the SIG P320 Carry/X Carry, not P320 Compact, as both the G45 and P320 Compacts run a 17 round magazine; the P320 Compact runs a 15 round magazine (the 17 rounders can be used, but they'll protrude beneath the bottom of the frame).

While I don't personally have a G45, as I'm pretty darn satisfied with my Gen 3 G17 and G19, I've heard pretty much nothing but sterling reports regarding Gen5 G45/G19X.

On the other hand, I've to date had sterling results with my October 2019 production P320 RX, which I've run both in its original configuration as a P320 RX Compact and in it's current (and likely permanent) P320 RX X Carry configuration.

Historically (particularly in the past 5 or so years), I'd be predisposed to give Glock the nod due to their aftermarket support, but since Oct 2019 I've received excellent after-market support from SIG.

In this case, while Glock might still have a slight intrinsic edge, I'm a lot more open-minded to SIG these days, at least regarding their P320, P2022 and M400 rifle platforms-to the point of basically suggesting trying both, and go with the platform that works best for you and your criteria matrix.

Best, Jon

YVK
01-29-2020, 08:35 PM
Looking for opinions on the Glock 45 9mm vs a Sig P320 X Compact and any noticeable differences in accuracy, performance, and reliability

If I were to ask this question, I...wouldn't. I don't think you'll find enough people who have both and who have dedicated an equal and significant amount of time and effort to come with a meaningful comparison. Most (not all) strong shooters here are monogunmous at any given moment in time. G45 is a solid gun, and I am sure that current 320s will hold their own. I'd roll with whatever is more appealing to you.

TheNewbie
01-29-2020, 08:40 PM
I wasn’t blown away by the G45 like maby here are. It’s a good gun, but I prefer the G17.

Between any Glock and any Sig, I would take the Glock. That’s not based on personal experience , but what I’ve read and my lack of trust in Sig.

Clearly both work for a lot of people, and I think the G45 is a good option.

Mitch
01-29-2020, 08:48 PM
I would really like to get a j frame, a P365, and a P320 and call it good with hand guns.

The problem is I just don’t trust a 320 to never fire unless the shooter presses the trigger. And there’s no way I’m stuffing a gun like that in an AIWB holster.

sikiguya
01-29-2020, 09:09 PM
The more comparable Sig would be the X Carry. I think or is a tossup. Try them at the rental range and go with your gut

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crow Hunter
01-29-2020, 09:24 PM
If I were to ask this question, I...wouldn't. I don't think you'll find enough people who have both and who have dedicated an equal and significant amount of time and effort to come with a meaningful comparison. Most (not all) strong shooters here are monogunmous at any given moment in time. G45 is a solid gun, and I am sure that current 320s will hold their own. I'd roll with whatever is more appealing to you.

I'm sorry, I don't have a useful comment.

But, I had to log on just to say: That was awesome.

:D

GJM
01-29-2020, 10:29 PM
You need to decide whether you want a Gen 5 pistol, the Glock 45, or a Gen 1.5 pistol, the Sig, where the Gen 1 version definitely had fleas. The reason I would carry a Sig striker is because I was issued or competing with a 320, and I wanted commonality, or I was a very small statured person and the 365 let you carry a 9 instead of a .380.

Kirk
01-30-2020, 12:36 AM

Definitely agree here. I dont think many have a ton of rounds through *both* guns, so it's all subjective. I have owned both, but not experience enough to offer any more than a personal opinion on a comparison.

Bigghoss
01-31-2020, 08:03 AM
Glock has the best aftermarket support of any gun on the market. Any sights you could want, any holster, any conceivable wizz-bag dodad is made for the Glock. So even if everything else was equal (and I don't feel it is) that is a very compelling reason to go for the Glock. And as far as handguns go Glock mags are pretty inexpensive.

Gadfly
01-31-2020, 09:20 AM
Recently switched from my 17-4 to a 320 Xcarry. I am in the minority here in that, in spite of 20 years of using, and 10+ years of daily Glock carry, I seem to shoot the 320 a little better. I score perfect on our Agency qual with each one (our qual is easy, so that is not a boast), but I notice the group size is tighter with the 320. Same with my 365 vs my 26-4...

BUT, the 20 years of use and 10 years daily carry have made me TRUST my glocks. The are reliable and easy to work on if needed. I carry my Sigs now, but don't fully trust them yet. Not because hey have ever had an issue, (they have not), but because I don't have a long term track record with them yet.

Our agency roll out of the 320 seems to be going well, with several thousand in the field now. Of course, we have a special SKU gun, that is not sold to the public, and we cant use an off the shelf gun. How different is our gun from commercial? I was told it was internal coatings that we specify. AND they are afraid of someone trying to put a non drop safe commercial gun into duty use. There are still tens of thousands of original non upgraded 320s floating around, so I can see the concern.

Tough call to make. Glock is proven, Sig has regain the trust it lost when it shit the bed on the original 320 roll out. But the Sigs I have seen in service are running and running well. Still, if I had to get dropped into Tora Bora tomorrow, I would take the Glock.

SIDE NOTE, we still dont approve Gen 5 Glocks in our agency. They have been tested twice now, and both times have not passed. Trigger springs breaking like crazy.

JonInWA
01-31-2020, 10:22 AM
That's the first I've heard of Gen5 trigger spring issues (and for that matter, Glock trigger spring issues in general for quite some time).

Can you elaborate in greater detail? Causal factors?

Best, Jon

M2CattleCo
01-31-2020, 11:11 AM
I would bet the little plastic guide rod on the trigger spring breaks.

Gadfly
01-31-2020, 12:36 PM
That's the first I've heard of Gen5 trigger spring issues (and for that matter, Glock trigger spring issues in general for quite some time).

Can you elaborate in greater detail? Causal factors?

Best, Jon

All the reports I have on testing are labeled "For Official Use Only"... So I am hesitant to throw quotes out. But it is a consistent problem. We approve the 17-3&4 and 19-3&4, but have no luck with the Gen 5s. Strangely, the 26-5 performed flawlessly in the recent test, and the 43 (which is a Gen 5 type) has been Approved.

AMC
01-31-2020, 12:47 PM
Glock has the best aftermarket support of any gun on the market. Any sights you could want, any holster, any conceivable wizz-bag dodad is made for the Glock. So even if everything else was equal (and I don't feel it is) that is a very compelling reason to go for the Glock. And as far as handguns go Glock mags are pretty inexpensive.

For better or worse, I don't believe this is going to continue to be true. Glock has dominated the service pistol market for years, for a number of compelling reasons. That is beginning to change. The military's adoption of the 320 platform, its adoption by several large federal agencies, and its continued winning of police service pistol contracts are already causing an industry pivot. I don't think they're going to stop making stuff for Glocks, but everything made for a Glock will also be available for a 320. And the modularity of the pistol means that some products like grip modules, etc., will pop up for the 320....things you can't do the same way for Glock.

I share the disdain for Sig corporate practices over the last several years.....but the product has evolved and improved, and continues to do so. I'm optimistic about its prospects.

Navyguns
01-31-2020, 01:10 PM
As the world's first and only Chief Firearms Aesthetic Analyst (CFAA), the Glock 45 and P320 are not what I would call pretty guns. However, between the two I put my highly credible analysis in favor of the G45 of being more aesthetic pleasing to the eyeballs than the P320. Why, you ask?

I'm not sure who or what the first incidence of a company putting an accessory rail on a pistol was, but they make every pistol less aesthetically pleasing than without one. This is science. A neuroscientist Zanvyl Kreiger (real guy, I wouldn't put my credibility on the line as the worlds only CFAA) did a study entitled "Beauty and the Brain.' In this study he found that people like "gentle curves instead of sharp points." What we can deduce from this research test conducted by Mr. Kreiger is that a jutty (my word) dust covers that have a rail is going to be less aesthetically pleasing. The rail on the G45 is more subtle than the P320. It is there but appears to flow more seamlessly with the lines of the Glock than with the P320. Also one last point, the proportions are much better on the Glock versus the Sig. The Sig P320 looks like someone wearing a disproportionately tall hat and they're only five foot one. And, the Sig P320 just feels cheap kind of like a Chrysler 200.

So, there you have it. The Glock 45 is more attractive than the P320.

AMC
01-31-2020, 02:04 PM
I asked some of the guys from the LE side at the Sig booth specifically about spec'ing the M17 type internal coatings for our SKU, should we end up going that route. I was told that so many agencies are asking for that, it's going to be standard for the LE Pro series guns.

I get that folks buying commercial line Sigs are pissed about buying a second tier product. I probably wouldn't buy one myself for that reason. I agree it's a crappy way to do business. Market demand does seem to be moving them on this stuff, though. The Pro Optics cut, for example, is becoming standard for all commercial products going forward. Let's hope they continue to improve the whole product line.

Leroy
01-31-2020, 03:11 PM
I barely have given the P320 a thought since it hit the market. Frankly I am at the point that plastic 9s basically all do the same thing and when I shoot one for a month or two the performance is roughly the same.

But I finally fingered several configurations of the P320 at the gun counter and I was really suprised by a few things.
1. The full size is very heavy for a plastic 9.
2. The thunb safety was superb on the 15 round 4" version, really good safety setup.
3. The total trigger travel was really short.

I am suprised that these guns have done so well in law enforcement sales with the weight and short tigger travel because I imagine that the non thumb safety models are the ones selling.

Mitch
01-31-2020, 03:28 PM
I asked some of the guys from the LE side at the Sig booth specifically about spec'ing the M17 type internal coatings for our SKU, should we end up going that route. I was told that so many agencies are asking for that, it's going to be standard for the LE Pro series guns.

I get that folks buying commercial line Sigs are pissed about buying a second tier product. I probably wouldn't buy one myself for that reason. I agree it's a crappy way to do business. Market demand does seem to be moving them on this stuff, though. The Pro Optics cut, for example, is becoming standard for all commercial products going forward. Let's hope they continue to improve the whole product line.

Is the coating thing really that different than Glock only doing ndlc for the FBI though?

Bigghoss
01-31-2020, 05:51 PM
For better or worse, I don't believe this is going to continue to be true.

That day may come, and I hope it does because Glock has some glaring deficiencies that they refuse to address, but I don't see it happening for a long time.

HCM
01-31-2020, 08:57 PM
Recently switched from my 17-4 to a 320 Xcarry. I am in the minority here in that, in spite of 20 years of using, and 10+ years of daily Glock carry, I seem to shoot the 320 a little better. I score perfect on our Agency qual with each one (our qual is easy, so that is not a boast), but I notice the group size is tighter with the 320. Same with my 365 vs my 26-4...

BUT, the 20 years of use and 10 years daily carry have made me TRUST my glocks. The are reliable and easy to work on if needed. I carry my Sigs now, but don't fully trust them yet. Not because hey have ever had an issue, (they have not), but because I don't have a long term track record with them yet.

Our agency roll out of the 320 seems to be going well, with several thousand in the field now. Of course, we have a special SKU gun, that is not sold to the public, and we cant use an off the shelf gun. How different is our gun from commercial? I was told it was internal coatings that we specify. AND they are afraid of someone trying to put a non drop safe commercial gun into duty use. There are still tens of thousands of original non upgraded 320s floating around, so I can see the concern.

Tough call to make. Glock is proven, Sig has regain the trust it lost when it shit the bed on the original 320 roll out. But the Sigs I have seen in service are running and running well. Still, if I had to get dropped into Tora Bora tomorrow, I would take the Glock.

SIDE NOTE, we still dont approve Gen 5 Glocks in our agency. They have been tested twice now, and both times have not passed. Trigger springs breaking like crazy.

I’m in the same boat. Shoot the 320 slightly better despite chingos of rounds through Glocks but I just don’t trust the 320. Plus the Xgrip is too slick, especially at the top.

JonInWA
02-01-2020, 03:11 PM
I’m in the same boat. Shoot the 320 slightly better despite chingos of rounds through Glocks but I just don’t trust the 320. Plus the Xgrip is too slick, especially at the top.

If you're talking about the top of the sides, I actually like that-it makes it easier for my fingers to travel to and activate the unfenced slide release. I find the stippling on the X grips to be about as good as HK's.

I guess we'll find out this year if my trust in a late-production 2019 P320 (a Romeo1 RX with an X Carry grip module) is warranted-so far, so good...

Best, Jon

HCM
02-01-2020, 08:47 PM
If you're talking about the top of the sides, I actually like that-it makes it easier for my fingers to travel to and activate the unfenced slide release. I find the stippling on the X grips to be about as good as HK's.

I guess we'll find out this year if my trust in a late-production 2019 P320 (a Romeo1 RX with an X Carry grip module) is warranted-so far, so good...

Best, Jon

Today my other issue with the P3 20 X grip reared its head. When doing speed work I often find I am unintentionally activating the slide catch with my support hand in the middle of a string a fire. The slide failing to lock back on the last round I can live with but inducing malfunctions in the middle of a string of fire is unacceptable. I have an experience this with the conventional 320 grip, just with the X trip. I’ve had a couple coworkers have the same issue.

JonInWA
02-02-2020, 11:10 AM
Today my other issue with the P3 20 X grip reared its head. When doing speed work I often find I am unintentionally activating the slide catch with my support hand in the middle of a string a fire. The slide failing to lock back on the last round I can live with but inducing malfunctions in the middle of a string of fire is unacceptable. I have an experience this with the conventional 320 grip, just with the X trip. I’ve had a couple coworkers have the same issue.

HCM, Other than slightly modding grip to avoid, and then building up muscle memory on it, I guess I really don't have any brilliant suggestions-particularly that could be applied to an organizational duty pistol where presumably allowable mods to the gun are very limited.

Would experimenting with the SIG grip size variations (either standard or X Carry) make a constructive difference?

Best, Jon

HCM
02-02-2020, 01:41 PM
HCM, Other than slightly modding grip to avoid, and then building up muscle memory on it, I guess I really don't have any brilliant suggestions-particularly that could be applied to an organizational duty pistol where presumably allowable mods to the gun are very limited.

Would experimenting with the SIG grip size variations (either standard or X Carry) make a constructive difference?

Best, Jon

Based on my positive experience with the size large standard 320 grip, the mythical size large X carry grip which was supposed to be delivered as part of my agency’s contract may well be the answer to this issue.

The problem with modifying the grip is a default to the grip I’ve used on the Glock for 10 years. I might be able to switch if I went all in on the 3 to 0 but at this point modifying the grip to avoid the slide release unnecessarily slows me down.

Gadfly
02-02-2020, 03:37 PM
Side note:
Still waiting on the inevitable 3rd party grip modules that allow use of Glock, Beretta or M&P mags... Sig mags are stupid expensive for what they are. I have tons of other mags... would be cheaper to buy multiple grip modules for the mags I have than to buy new mags.

Just a thought.

John Hearne
02-02-2020, 06:04 PM
Side note:
Still waiting on the inevitable 3rd party grip modules that allow use of Glock, Beretta or M&P mags... Sig mags are stupid expensive for what they are. I have tons of other mags... would be cheaper to buy multiple grip modules for the mags I have than to buy new mags.

Just a thought.

Have you seen the 80% Glock lower that runs P365 mags?

Gadfly
02-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Have you seen the 80% Glock lower that runs P365 mags?

Not those, but I have seen the 320 module that takes 365 mags.

I know molds are expensive, but I could see it being a big seller if someone was willing to put in the R&D time.

John Hearne
02-02-2020, 06:23 PM
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/new-glock-43-80-frame-will-let-you-use-sig-p365-10-15-round-magazines-in-your-g43-video/

Jared
02-02-2020, 06:26 PM
I’ve got a G45 and a SIG 320 XCarry. Right now I’m at a total crossroads with them. I trust Glock more as a company but I can’t shoot the G45 near as well as I would like. I’d thought it was me, but every time I’ve had it I’ve also had a Gen 5 G17 along and got along very well with the G17. I’ve put some rounds on my 320 and I’m shooting it much better than the G45.

Every damn day I think about selling that 320. About the time I get it in my head I’m gonna do it, I shoot it again. I really do shoot that gun well. Then I start learning about magazine fiascos and whatever other bad press is out there on the 320 and I’m back in the mood to sell it again. If SIG would just stop being SIG, this would really be a no brainer for me.

I’ve actually got a Beretta APX Centurion on the way right now. I had a great experience with the full sized one I had and honestly wish I’d never let it go. If the Centurion works out like that full size did, I may just use the APX line for my striker fired 9mm handgun of choice and dump the SIG and the Glocks. If the APX ends up sucking (I doubt it as well as I liked the full sized one I had) I’ll be back to where I am now.

M2CattleCo
02-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Get rid of the Sig and the 45 if you shoot the 17 better.

Those full size grip/compact barrel guns are goofy anyway.

TheNewbie
02-02-2020, 08:15 PM
I’ve got a G45 and a SIG 320 XCarry. Right now I’m at a total crossroads with them. I trust Glock more as a company but I can’t shoot the G45 near as well as I would like. I’d thought it was me, but every time I’ve had it I’ve also had a Gen 5 G17 along and got along very well with the G17. I’ve put some rounds on my 320 and I’m shooting it much better than the G45.

Every damn day I think about selling that 320. About the time I get it in my head I’m gonna do it, I shoot it again. I really do shoot that gun well. Then I start learning about magazine fiascos and whatever other bad press is out there on the 320 and I’m back in the mood to sell it again. If SIG would just stop being SIG, this would really be a no brainer for me.

I’ve actually got a Beretta APX Centurion on the way right now. I had a great experience with the full sized one I had and honestly wish I’d never let it go. If the Centurion works out like that full size did, I may just use the APX line for my striker fired 9mm handgun of choice and dump the SIG and the Glocks. If the APX ends up sucking (I doubt it as well as I liked the full sized one I had) I’ll be back to where I am now.

The G45 did not do for me what seems to be results for most here. If I end up going back to Gen 5s, I’ll go G17 or G19.

Bucky
02-02-2020, 08:36 PM
Get rid of the Sig and the 45 if you shoot the 17 better.

Those full size grip/compact barrel guns are goofy anyway.

:) :)

Zman001
02-04-2020, 09:30 AM
I own a G45, and had a 19x, and a friend owns a 320 X carry.

After about 500 rounds, and less than 3 weeks of being carried IWB, the gun had light surface rust on the slide, the mag release button, slide release, and takedown lever had pitting. A few days after this was noticed, the magazine release assembly was rusted to the point of getting stuck in when activated, meaning a new magazine would not lock in place unless you pushed in the opposite side of the button.

https://youtu.be/idxJNmtwOE8

He contacted sig about this, and they said because of where we live (Texas Gulf coast), and due to the Ph levels in sweat, there was no issue with the gun, but if he paid shipping and a service fee, they would "take a look at it"

I know Glocks can and will rust, but none of mine have had any issues like his sig has had, and I've got much higher round counts and general wear on my guns

98z28
02-04-2020, 05:00 PM
I own a G45, and had a 19x, and a friend owns a 320 X carry.

After about 500 rounds, and less than 3 weeks of being carried IWB, the gun had light surface rust on the slide, the mag release button, slide release, and takedown lever had pitting. A few days after this was noticed, the magazine release assembly was rusted to the point of getting stuck in when activated, meaning a new magazine would not lock in place unless you pushed in the opposite side of the button.

https://youtu.be/idxJNmtwOE8

He contacted sig about this, and they said because of where we live (Texas Gulf coast), and due to the Ph levels in sweat, there was no issue with the gun, but if he paid shipping and a service fee, they would "take a look at it"

I know Glocks can and will rust, but none of mine have had any issues like his sig has had, and I've got much higher round counts and general wear on my guns

While I am no Sig apologist - I got burned with a safe full of 320's in dropgate and I do not recommend them to anyone - I'd say Glock has spoiled us in this regard. Metal rusts when exposed to moisture, including stainless steel. Glocks just don't have as much exposed metal (the mag button is plastic) and the metal they do use has fantastic corrosion resistance (or rather the treatment they use has fantastic corrosion resistance).

My 320s will also develop rust on the mag button and takedown lever after riding against my skin in South Mississippi, though I have yet to see any on the slide. I periodically have to remove the mag button from the grip module and wipe it down. I had one completely frozen because of rust, but the surface rust cleaned off with oil and the button is back in use on a practice gun. I had to do that even more frequently back when I was issued a 1990's vintage p-series Sig. If you looked at those guns with moisture in your eyes they would develop surface rust. It is just part of the game. If you make the part out of metal, it will need to be wiped down and treated with oil regularly.

HK kills it with corrosion resistance, too. I don't think I've ever seen rust on any HK I've owned. Nothing else comes close to HK and Glock in my experience.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

lwt16
02-04-2020, 05:20 PM

Several of ours did that as well. It was a healthy mix of OWB carry and IWB carry.

I pulled them all in, disassembled the mag releases, and treated them with Eezox. To date, we haven't had any more issues. Several of the guys brought me their P365s to treat while I was at it.

One guy was carrying AIWB in a kydex rig and his P320 was a horrid mess. I had to replace his magazine release/catch completely as I no longer trusted it.

Texaspoff
02-04-2020, 05:36 PM
If you shoot the 17 best, then stay with it. I have a few 320's and I still carry Glocks for duty. Hurricane Harvey gave me some good insight on different platforms, and being exposed to rain, mud, dirt, you name it. Here in our city, we waded in water up to our chest daily for almost 2 weeks.

The first ones to develop issues, were the two guys that were carrying XD's. Just about every part on the guns rusted, except the slides. That was with cleaning and wiping them down daily. Each day they rusted.

Next was the 320's. Again the sights, mag release, guide rods, and triggers developed rust in them. Again cleaning regularly and keeping them oiled and wiped down when possible.

Next was the two 1911 guys. One stainless, the other Black oxide. Surprisingly, the oxide one suffered very minor surface rusting, that wiped off easily. The stainless had rusting on the mag release, and sights.

Lastly was the Glocks. One developed rust on the rear sight, Hienie sights, and rust on the pin that held the polymer trigger on the trigger bar. No problem cleaning it up.

One of the others got a slight amount of rusting on the mag release spring. Again it wiped away.

The other Glocks had zero issues, no rust, nada.

Just for poops and grins, I purposely carried one of my 4th Gens for a week before I cleaned it at all. I did take it down, each night to make sure there were no obstructions, or debris in the pistol after being underwater that day. I also carried a second on in my unit high and dry in the event something popped up with my pistol. After a week, I had one small rust spot develop on the same pin that holds the polymer trigger. Nothing else anywhere, and this was a 4th Gen FS 19, with the crappy finish.

I'm not saying they are perfect, but my experience is that Glocks finish general holds up pretty darn well, especially with minor maintenance.

TXPO

Zman001
02-04-2020, 06:06 PM
While I am no Sig apologist - I got burned with a safe full of 320's in dropgate and I do not recommend them to anyone - I'd say Glock has spoiled us in this regard. Metal rusts when exposed to moisture, including stainless steel. Glocks just don't have as much exposed metal (the mag button is plastic) and the metal they do use has fantastic corrosion resistance (or rather the treatment they use has fantastic corrosion resistance).

My 320s will also develop rust on the mag button and takedown lever after riding against my skin in South Mississippi, though I have yet to see any on the slide. I periodically have to remove the mag button from the grip module and wipe it down. I had one completely frozen because of rust, but the surface rust cleaned off with oil and the button is back in use on a practice gun. I had to do that even more frequently back when I was issued a 1990's vintage p-series Sig. If you looked at those guns with moisture in your eyes they would develop surface rust. It is just part of the game. If you make the part out of metal, it will need to be wiped down and treated with oil regularly.

HK kills it with corrosion resistance, too. I don't think I've ever seen rust on any HK I've owned. Nothing else comes close to HK and Glock in my experience.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

A good point, but i have walthers, s&w's, SAI's, and Berettas that have held up better.

Despite being constantly in contact with a rusty part, the mec-gar mags have zero rust, and they are blued.

I want to like sig, they have some neat ideas, but their execution is, dare i say, on par with Taurus. If it were some light surface rust, no big deal, but the mag button sticking open is about as close to an automatic disqualification for a carry gun

John Hearne
02-04-2020, 06:14 PM
Sigs rusting isn't exactly news. The classic series rusted in all the same places. It's been the wisdom for years that if you wanted rust proof, you bought a Glock. As an alternative data point, I carry a P320 concealed but almost always have a very thin t-shirt between me and the gun. I haven't noticed any rusting after two Mississippi summers.

Doc_Glock
02-04-2020, 06:45 PM
Nothing else comes close to HK and Glock in my experience.

This is true in more ways than corrosion resistance...

StraitR
02-04-2020, 08:14 PM
Nothing else comes close to HK and Glock in my experience.

This is true in more ways than corrosion resistance...

FreedomFries
02-04-2020, 10:01 PM
Despite being constantly in contact with a rusty part, the mec-gar mags have zero rust, and they are blued.

Mec-Gar also makes a series of magazines with a proprietary "anti-friction coating." Is it possible that you have the coated magazines?

Zman001
02-05-2020, 12:07 AM
Mec-Gar also makes a series of magazines with a proprietary "anti-friction coating." Is it possible that you have the coated magazines?

Its not my pistol, so I'm not sure. They feel similar to my mec gar 18 round beretta mags, so you may be right

FreedomFries
02-05-2020, 06:59 AM
Its not my pistol, so I'm not sure. They feel similar to my mec gar 18 round beretta mags, so you may be right

Product description on some P320 mags on some online vendor's site says, "High quality steel construction and finished with an advanced anti-friction coating." I wonder if all the different 3 or 4 manufacturers that Sig uses for magazines have the same type of coating or if each uses their own proprietary coating.

I want to like sig, they have some neat ideas, but their execution is, dare i say, on par with Taurus.

Going back to another thing you mentioned... since I ordered a new P320 (320C-9-BSS-MS), I've been tempted to also get the new Taurus G3 15 round compact and see which one runs better over the long-term. Similar size, striker fired, manual thumb safety equipped pistols. One is $550 and the other is $240, but similar MIM parts probably.

BigT
02-08-2020, 01:40 PM

Thats really interesting, I don't think we've replaced a single gen5 trigger spring yet. And we supply the whole country. If you are ever authorised to share I would be very keen to hear.