PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Gun Possession in Philadelphia

Bergeron
01-28-2020, 08:39 PM
Is apparently not such a crime anymore.

Philadelphia’s DA and his Approach to Criminals with Guns (https://newrepublic.com/article/156253/larry-krasners-lonely-radical-crusade-solve-americas-gun-problem)

Yup, the DA is purposefully not charging criminals with possession or carrying of guns. The criminals feel a need to defend themselves, you see.

I didn’t know that I could read something so appalling. UBCs, UBCs everywhere, as far as they eye can see, but a prohibited person, committing multiple felonies- that is a-ok with the DA! Criminals must be allowed to go about their lives as well-armed as they would like, and the DA says that it’s important to let the criminals live that way so that these same criminals might gain respect and trust for the justice system!

I’ve had guns stolen. I know that criminals arm themselves most frequently with stolen guns. All this time and effort expended on communicating the need for gun laws to target criminals while respecting the law abiding, and this idiot coward is doing everything in his considerable legal power to maximize the safety of criminals. Earlier this week my work sent out emails about multiple gunpoint robberies in a nearby parking structure. We good and law-abiding employees are not permitted the liberty the Philadelphia DA permits to violent felons.

C’est la vie. At least the Philly Fraternal Order of Police are apoplectic at the DA’s new policy, and Philadelphia has the highest homicide rate of any of the nation’s 10 largest cities.

Joe in PNG
01-28-2020, 08:46 PM
Question- is this for criminals possessing guns, or possession of a gun in general?

Would a normal, law abiding citizen with no record be so exempted?

blues
01-28-2020, 08:48 PM
So let me see if I can find the bright side...

We go out to a 7-11 and steal a Slim Jim or can of beer while in possession of a firearm. We won't be charged with the gun matter and can get in a diversion program for the minor theft. Expunged within months.

Then we can get on with our lives as happy gun owners.

Simple.

:rolleyes:

Bergeron
01-28-2020, 09:18 PM
For as much of a rolling disaster that the NRA has been lately, I have always admired their efforts to actually spend time, money, and energy having federal laws against prohibited possession enforced.

I can’t count how many times I have given the spiel about who a prohibited person is and what punishments are indicated and available for the armed felon to audiences who started the conversation clamoring for new, fresh gun laws to stop crime.

0ddl0t
01-28-2020, 10:13 PM
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...

If they're no longer enough of a danger to keep behind bars, they deserve the same rights as everyone else. If anyone's risk profile demands carrying a weapon, it is folks living in these crime ridden areas (regardless of their own background).

PS: How many "criminal" gun possession charges are ignored in Sanctuary counties in Virginia & California?

Caballoflaco
01-28-2020, 10:22 PM
From the article:

Kresner made it policy to divert to ARD gun carriers who had previously clean records and had purchased their guns legally

While I don’t agree with a lot of his policies and ideas I don’t have a problem with that.

Bergeron
01-28-2020, 10:47 PM
It is something of a silver lining, and I'd love to see Constitutional Carry established nationwide.

However, I would note from the article that
those convicted of possessing a gun in public in the city without a license to carry - exactly the kinds of defendants Krasner now diverts out of the system paints a different picture. When the article mentions "purchased their guns legally", it goes into no further detail, and it makes me suspicious. Are the Philly police checking NCIC or some state database, or looking at a copy of a 4473? Are they conducting a NICS suitability check? Any of those methods of validation would be surprising to me.

As DA, Krasner has declined to prosecute some nonviolent illegal gun posession cases, typically involving people carrying without a state-issued license (outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvanians can openly carry a weapon with a license.

It may seem cynical on my part, but I doubt that most of these "illegal gun possession cases" are a simple as an otherwise legal and non-prohibited person who would be able to get a CCW license, but who just didn't. Rather, I suspect strongly that these are criminals, who are carrying in guns with the tacit blessing of the DA.

BWT
01-28-2020, 11:30 PM
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...

If they're no longer enough of a danger to keep behind bars, they deserve the same rights as everyone else. If anyone's risk profile demands carrying a weapon, it is folks living in these crime ridden areas (regardless of their own background).

PS: How many "criminal" gun possession charges are ignored in Sanctuary counties in Virginia & California?

Is trolling the forum a past-time?

Prohibited persons are prohibited. What does this have to do with Sanctuary counties?

Dan_S
01-28-2020, 11:35 PM
Is trolling the forum a past-time?

Prohibited persons are prohibited. What does this have to do with Sanctuary counties?

You used to be polite and helpful. What happened?

0ddl0t
01-28-2020, 11:40 PM
Prohibited persons are prohibited.

Unless you have never broken any law - a virtual impossibility - you could be someone else's definition of a prohibited person too.

Tell me, why should a conviction for lying about your income on a mortgage application forever ban you from owning a single shot hunting rifle? Or writing bad checks? Or a college-prank vandalism that exceeded $250 (the felony threshold in that state)?

BWT
01-29-2020, 12:11 AM
You used to be polite and helpful. What happened?

I just asked a question - was it confrontational? Mildly. But, look at 0ddlot’s reply after yours. Do you objectively believe what he poses is common place?

I mean what do you think of his accusing sanctuary cities for permitting this?

I thought I was reasonably respectful, but also direct.

TGS
01-29-2020, 08:09 AM
Unless you have never broken any law - a virtual impossibility - you could be someone else's definition of a prohibited person too.

Tell me, why should a conviction for lying about your income on a mortgage application forever ban you from owning a single shot hunting rifle? Or writing bad checks? Or a college-prank vandalism that exceeded $250 (the felony threshold in that state)?

No, they shouldn’t, which is why those people can usually petition to have their 2A prohibition rescinded.

This is completely different. What this is about is criminals carrying guns, breaking a law, not being prosecuted. This is misguided CJ reform, appealing to the idea that if we don’t charge habitual offenders in blighted communities that it will “break the chain” and they somehow will become productive citizens. This has nothing to do with respecting the 2nd Amendment or any concern about a persons civil rights.

Dan_S
01-29-2020, 09:05 AM
I just asked a question - was it confrontational? Mildly. But, look at 0ddlot’s reply after yours. Do you objectively believe what he poses is common place?

I mean what do you think of his accusing sanctuary cities for permitting this?

I thought I was reasonably respectful, but also direct.

His reply was quite reasonable. Life outside the ‘gun guy’ bubble is less cut and dried than it might seem.