PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy adjustable sights?

randyflycaster
01-27-2020, 04:23 PM
I've been pistol shooting for almost 3 years now. My target gun is a CZ 85 9mm. I've tried every technique possible, yet I'm still shooting low. My last instructor told me to get adjustable sights. (He has them on his gun.) I am wondering if competition shooters have adjustable sights. Also, if I do make the jump, do I need both rear and back sights or just a rear sight?

How many of you folks have adjustable sights on your target guns?

Thanks,

Randy

Zincwarrior
01-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Wait there are people with competition guns without adjustable sights? :cool:

RJ
01-27-2020, 04:51 PM
I do not.

I shoot the ammo I plan to use in my competition gun (AE115, Glock 19.5), then select a front sight height to achieve PoI = POA using my preferred hold (Drive the Dot) (0.180” for me).

RJ
01-27-2020, 04:52 PM
I've been pistol shooting for almost 3 years now. My target gun is a CZ 85 9mm. I've tried every technique possible, yet I'm still shooting low. My last instructor told me to get adjustable sights. (He has them on his gun.) I am wondering if competition shooters have adjustable sights. Also, if I do make the jump, do I need both rear and back sights or just a rear sight?

Thanks,

Randy

Sounds like you need a shorter front sight.

JHC
01-27-2020, 04:56 PM

Thanks,

Randy

I like quality adjustable rear sights a lot. I'm thinking of my S&W revolvers and Wilson CQB Elite. Has your instructor or other skilled shooters shot your pistol to confirm it's POI?

Does it manifest hitting low at 25 yards or at 7 yards? How much?

nwhpfan
01-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Adjustable sights are great, for example, if you go from 115 grain to 147 grain bullets regularly because the point of impact is going to be different.

But if you are always shooting low, you probably just need the correct height sights. This calculator will help you out.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

randyflycaster
01-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Today I was shooting at 15 yards. Often, I shoot at 10 yards. I'm low at both distances.

Randy

RJ
01-27-2020, 07:17 PM
Today I was shooting at 15 yards. Often, I shoot at 10 yards. I'm low at both distances.

Randy

How low, say, in inches?

What ammo are you using?

Clusterfrack
01-27-2020, 07:24 PM
When I shot Glocks I had Dawson adjustable rears. On my Sig320s, I didn't have adjustable sights, but it was easy to buy a Dawson fiber optic sight to match POI for whatever match loads I was using. Those guns are gone, and I'm back to adjustable sights on my Shadow2s. It's hard to imagine going back to fixed. I have tuned my POI several times over the last few years, and it's nice to be able to make those fine adjustments without buying new blades.

randyflycaster
01-27-2020, 07:25 PM
I was using inexpensive Federal 115 grain. I always shoot 115 grain. At 14 yards most of my groupings were about 4 inches low. I guess I could just use my fixed sights but change my sight picture so that the front sight is higher than the rear sight.

Randy

Alpha Sierra
01-27-2020, 07:36 PM
At 14 yards most of my groupings were about 4 inches low.

That's a LOT

Have you ruled out any marksmanship fundamental issues? Have you given your pistol to someone else who you know is better than you to see what he or she gets?

I shoot USPSA competitively and don't have adjustable sight on any of my semi auto pistols.

RJ
01-27-2020, 07:45 PM
I was using inexpensive Federal 115 grain. I always shoot 115 grain. At 14 yards most of my groupings were about 4 inches low. I guess I could just use my fixed sights but change my sight picture so that the front sight is higher than the rear sight.

Randy

I could not find the sight radius of a CZ 85/75 online quickly, so I used a Glock 17 (6.5") to do the calculation. At 14 yards (42 feet, 504 inches), 4" of vertical distance corresponds to a shortening of the front sight of 0.0516", if I did the math right. That is a fair amount.

My Glock sights are typically 0.180" high, a shorter version is 0.165", for a comparison.

revchuck38
01-27-2020, 07:47 PM

Randy

That's pretty low. Assuming you're using a good sight picture, you'll need a taller rear sight or a shorter front sight. Also, going to a heavier bullet will raise the POI, but probably not as much as you need.

RJ
01-27-2020, 08:00 PM
Randy - Do any of these sight pictures look like what you use?

If so, which one?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200128/23a03a4ce95da2f88634f24fcdfa159a.jpg

Oldherkpilot
01-27-2020, 09:11 PM
I could not find the sight radius of a CZ 85/75 online quickly, so I used a Glock 17 (6.5") to do the calculation. At 14 yards (42 feet, 504 inches), 4" of vertical distance corresponds to a shortening of the front sight of 0.0516", if I did the math right. That is a fair amount.

My Glock sights are typically 0.180" high, a shorter version is 0.165", for a comparison.

Your formula is good but the sight radius is a half inch shorter than your Glock. Actual height reduction would be .0475" or 3/64" would be very close. For the OP, I'd probably order a front sight in lieu of filing if you care about the luminous dot.

randyflycaster
01-28-2020, 09:00 AM
Now I'm now using sight picture one (posted above.) I'm covering the small target bullseye with the dot on the front sight.

I am certainly not ruling out marksmanship issues, but I just do not know what to do anymore, as I've tried every possible correction, and the results are the same.

I don't remember if the instructor fired my CZ, but I remember him saying that each shooter has a different facial structure, and that a handgun that fits him might not fit me. (Almost like a shotgun.)

At the time I didn't buy the instructor's suggestion of getting adjustable sights, so I never took another lesson from him.

Randy

Alpha Sierra
01-28-2020, 09:51 AM
Deleted

randyflycaster
01-28-2020, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry. I mean sight picture 3.

Randy

Alpha Sierra
01-28-2020, 10:37 AM
I'm sorry. I mean sight picture 3.

Randy

Can you post a profile picture of your hands holding this pistol, from both sides? I suspect a grip issue.

Jim Watson
01-28-2020, 10:37 AM
A change of .0475" is a good deal of movement.
An adjustable sight might or might not have enough range of movement to correct. Of course it might be taller to start with, but it might be too tall.

Dawson has a wide range of front sight heights.
If you buy a front and rear set, they guarantee "Perfect Impact." If the sights do not zero, they will send you a replacement of the correct height.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/cz-sights/

randyflycaster
01-28-2020, 11:04 AM
I've tried every grip possible. When I dry fire with a laser light my sights do not move.

Randy

P.S. I just dry fired. Everything was fine. Then, on purpose, I jerked the trigger, and my laser light dipped. I'm wondering if, when I live fire, I have sort of a flinch that is causing me to jerk the trigger without my realizing it.

I do remember awhile ago when I was practicing, my initial shots were on the money, but then every went low.

Perhaps a lighter trigger would help.

Randy

Alpha Sierra
01-28-2020, 11:07 AM
When I dry fire with a laser light my sights do not move.

That's not necessarily what will happen with a live round in the chamber. I'm speaking from personal experience.

lwt16
01-28-2020, 11:37 AM
I've tried every grip possible. When I dry fire with a laser light my sights do not move.

Randy

P.S. I just dry fired. Everything was fine. Then, on purpose, I jerked the trigger, and my laser light dipped. I'm wondering if, when I live fire, I have sort of a flinch that is causing me to jerk the trigger without my realizing it.

I do remember awhile ago when I was practicing, my initial shots were on the money, but then every went low.

Perhaps a lighter trigger would help.

Randy

I would have a second shooter who is solid try the pistol before I spend money on sights and triggers. If you don't have anyone like that in your mix of buddies, I'd get a couple of dummy rounds and have someone else load up a mag and see what happens when you get a click instead of a boom.

Regards.

Clusterfrack
01-28-2020, 11:48 AM
randyflycaster, this is a great opportunity to make a big leap in skill. Truly seeing your sights during the entire firing process will transform your shooting ability.

When you graduate from "I'm not sure if my sights moved before the gun fired" to "My sights did/didn't move before the gun fired", you will be able to make much faster progress in so many other areas, including faster followup shots, better draw, and practically everything else.

The mystery of misses will disappear, and be replaced by cause-and-effect. That's not to say you won't miss--but you'll have a real clue about why.

It takes serious work to learn how to do this, and the first step is making sure you aren't blinking. Double plugs, and consciously keeping your eyes wide open can help. Watch the corners of the notch and the blade, and try to construct a movie in your mind, from the moment you align them, and ending well after the gun fires.

After you work on this for months, you will easily be able to see if the sight dips before you fire.

CCT125US
01-28-2020, 12:20 PM
Clusterfrack for truth.

Reading through the thread again, I see that the OP uses sight picture 3. Nothing wrong with using that option at all, however, what made you choose that method? I ask because depending upon where the dots are located (related to the top edge) can affect point of impact. Have you experimented with options 1 and 2?

Clusterfrack
01-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Clusterfrack for truth.

Reading through the thread again, I see that the OP uses sight picture 3. Nothing wrong with using that option at all, however, what made you choose that method? I ask because depending upon where the dots are located (related to the top edge) can affect point of impact. Have you experimented with options 1 and 2?

I missed that he was using a “drive the dot” sight picture. I find it hard to shoot precisely with a gun set up that way. I use sight picture (2), top of blade for all of my guns.

Borderland
01-28-2020, 01:03 PM
My target guns (S&W 19, Ruger MKII and Colt GC) have adj. sights. Why not? A few revolvers and a bunch of my pistols don't have adj. sights. No need for them. Combat sights have their place in this world. Depends on how you plan to use the firearm.

I don't shoot in pistol competition so personally I wouldn't know what's being used there. I suppose it depends on what type of competition we're talking about. According to some articles I read Glock 34 is a favorite with IDPA shooters and can be purchased with adj sights. You could probably do just as well without adj. sights. Service pistol IDK.

Alpha Sierra
01-28-2020, 01:49 PM
My target guns (S&W 19, Ruger MKII and Colt GC) have adj. sights. Why not? A few revolvers and a bunch of my pistols don't have adj. sights. No need for them. Combat sights have their place in this world. Depends on how you plan to use the firearm.

I don't shoot in pistol competition so personally I wouldn't know what's being used there. I suppose it depends on what type of competition we're talking about. According to some articles I read Glock 34 is a favorite with IDPA shooters and can be purchased with adj sights. You could probably do just as well without adj. sights. Service pistol IDK.

Probably 85 - 90% or better of metallic sight semi auto pistols used in practical pistol competition (USPSA and IDPA) have fixed rear sights and fiber optic front sights.

JonInWA
01-28-2020, 02:16 PM
I use sight picture #2 as well. Strongly concur in having another experienced shooter try you pistol. Then I'd mechanically bench zero-i.e., from a stable seated position, with the gun in a rest or sandbag, carefully and deliberately zero.

Once you've done that, then try zeroing offhand.

I'd also suggest using a quality factory 124 gr load-my personal go-to's are either Sellier & Bellot or American Eagle. European 9mm's seem to be oriented around 124 gr more so than 115 gr.

If you still have issues, then re-sighting might be called for. And, FWIW, there are some good durable adjustable sight options available, but I'd hold off until you've tested things as they are to your satisfaction to effectively assess what, if truly any issues exist with the OEM sights.

Best, Jon

Zincwarrior
01-28-2020, 02:35 PM
Randy - Do any of these sight pictures look like what you use?

If so, which one?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200128/23a03a4ce95da2f88634f24fcdfa159a.jpg

Slightly OT but is there an issue related to this? When I bought my new pistol with a FO sight I went with 3 as I wanted the "dot" right on top of what I was aiming at.

JonInWA
01-28-2020, 03:05 PM
Slightly OT but is there an issue related to this? When I bought my new pistol with a FO sight I went with 3 as I wanted the "dot" right on top of what I was aiming at.

That sounds like an eminently sensible approach for fiber optic sights-and makes me think it would be particularly useful if you're concurrently running one gun with fiber optics, and another with a RDS.

But for irons or irons with dots, I think #2 still works best for me.

Best, Jon

Alpha Sierra
01-28-2020, 03:25 PM

No real issues. I drive the dot with irons simply because I'm unable to focus on the top of the front sight.

Sight picture 2 (what I call center of mass from my service rifle days) doesn't give me any better accuracy and is slower.

It's also why every handgun I own gets a fiber optic front if it's possible.

Zincwarrior
01-28-2020, 04:32 PM
No real issues. I drive the dot with irons simply because I'm unable to focus on the top of the front sight.

Sight picture 2 (what I call center of mass from my service rifle days) doesn't give me any better accuracy and is slower.

It's also why every handgun I own gets a fiber optic front if it's possible.

Indeed, I partially bought the new pistol because it is RDS compatible. I haven't made the jump but likely in a year.

randyflycaster
01-28-2020, 05:29 PM
Folks,

Thanks so much for your wonderful replies. I think the next step for me is to go back to the range and really work on my trigger press.

The reason I started using sight picture 3 is because someone suggested it try using it.

Randy

Alpha Sierra
01-28-2020, 05:34 PM
The reason I started using sight picture 3 is because someone suggested it try using it.

My personal rule is that I always ask for the "why" behind every suggestion I get. If the person offering advice can't articulate the reason for or benefit of their advice, I'm inclined to ignore it.

edison
01-28-2020, 05:50 PM
I like deep notches; like .120 or .130. I haven't found an adjustable with deep notches.
So I'm stuck with fixed sights.