PDA

View Full Version : Have you Been in a situation to need your weapon? Conceal & Carry,or Home, Story pls

Rhino
01-27-2020, 10:22 AM
Hello,
I am considering getting a CCW. (Conceal and Carry) My wife is not very keen on the idea of guns around the house or in a vehicle. I try to let her know that it is a shield for us, and you don't need it until you need it, so preparation is the key.
For those who do Conceal and Carry or even those who keep it for home defense, can you share any story when having your weapon was needed and affected the outcome.
Thanks
Rhino

Duces Tecum
01-27-2020, 10:36 AM
I'm pretty sure there are abundant examples on-line. The NRA once published a monthly column on these incidents in the American Rifleman, and perhaps still does.

JohnO
01-27-2020, 10:51 AM
I'm pretty sure there are abundant examples on-line. The NRA once published a monthly column on these incidents in the American Rifleman, and perhaps still does.

Didn't they (https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/)

Perhaps you may want to look at the work of John Lott or Gary Kleck.

Tom Givens (Rangemaster) who is a member here has a well documented tally of his students defensive use of firearms.

snow white
01-27-2020, 10:53 AM
Dont know if most of the members here are willing to put thier stories on the internet. The only time I've ever drawn my pistol with the idea I might actually need it is when I came home from work to find the door to my apartment wide open. Knowing my wife was at work this was obviously not a normal thing. I drew my pistol and entered my apartment in a low ready position. Ended up being nothing, no missing items or anything out of place. I dont think my wife shut the door all the way before she left for work. But seeing that door open and knowing I have allot more guns and ammo in the house, I was happy to at least have my pistol when I went in.

HCountyGuy
01-27-2020, 10:58 AM
A quick Google search will yield an abundance of results which I imagine would satisfy your query.

If the goal is to convince your wife that having a firearm around is a good idea, perhaps look at the local crime stats in your area and share them with her. It would also be a great idea to understand her reluctance and make efforts, through training and research, to help get both of you comfortable with firearms.

Here in this site we do have the good fortune of a higher signal-to-noise ratio than other firearm centric forums, primarily due to a healthy number of recognized Subject Matter Experts and current or former armed professionals who have been there, done that (dealt with criminals for a living and had good cause to utilize violence in defense of self or society).

So if you’d care to outline specific curiosities or what specific information you’re after, I believe the community here will be glad to help.

Darth_Uno
01-27-2020, 11:06 AM
Shooting incidents in the news.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=18787&share_tid=3346&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpistol-forum%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D3346&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casual Friday
01-27-2020, 11:10 AM
Just stories of random people needing a gun might not be enough to sway someone away from thinking it's a bad idea to own one or have a concealed carry permit...but I agree with HCountyGuy that local crime data is a good place to start.

It took my friend's wife watching someone get stabbed in their apartment complex parking lot to change her mind.

pooty
01-27-2020, 12:02 PM
Could have been forced to use deadly force twice in my life, both times I got really lucky and saw the groups before they could rob me. Of course when I talk about this there are those who reply "you should just give them the money" as if thugs aren't into violence for the fun of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CavkSl2gyc

You show her this video and tell her "if I don't get a ccw, this could happen you" and let her wonder what you mean, exactly.

Clusterfrack
01-27-2020, 12:17 PM
It's hard to convince someone who doesn't have self-defense as a core value that carrying a gun, or having one in the house will make them safer. I've seen multiple examples of guys whose wives are convinced that having a gun will somehow magically attract danger--including my wife. It's like she thinks a gun has some sort of danger gravity, and bad people are pulled toward it.

I've needed a gun for self-defense in multiple encounters with humans and large animals. Fortunately I have never had to fire. But my wife still doesn't like me carrying one all the time. She's ok with it under some circumstances, but it still makes her feel uneasy when we are in places that are familiar and "safe".

Good luck. It takes time and patience, and I am still working on her.

mtnbkr
01-27-2020, 12:33 PM
Could have been forced to use deadly force twice in my life, both times I got really lucky and saw the groups before they could rob me. Of course when I talk about this there are those who reply "you should just give them the money" as if thugs aren't into violence for the fun of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CavkSl2gyc

You show her this video and tell her "if I don't get a ccw, this could happen you" and let her wonder what you mean, exactly.

Holy crap.

I initially thought the whole thing was too casual to be a stranger-on-stranger attack, especially with the kid apparently not responding at all, but I found an article where the guy was captured, tried, and sentenced. He apparently has a history of this sort of thing. They are truly not like us.

Chris

Grey
01-27-2020, 12:39 PM
Holy crap.

I initially thought the whole thing was too casual to be a stranger-on-stranger attack, especially with the kid apparently not responding at all, but I found an article where the guy was captured, tried, and sentenced. He apparently has a history of this sort of thing. They are truly not like us.

Chris

Fucking chilling.

Le Français
01-27-2020, 12:40 PM
My wife is not very keen on the idea of guns around the house or in a vehicle.

Just in case you were considering such a thing: Please do not keep unsecured firearms in vehicles, even briefly. This is how a lot of guns get into the wrong hands.

BehindBlueI's
01-27-2020, 12:41 PM
Off duty, the only time I've fired a gun to prevent further injury was a pitbull that took me by surprise. I was jogging and heard the click of claws on pavement just before it jumped on my from behind and got me on the arm. I'd been attacked by an Akita before and that left scars on my arms for years. This time I got one bite and the dog got a .38 in the chest, ending the attack. That was also the last time I jogged with headphones in.

I'm recommend getting some credible training, especially if you are new to firearms. Firearms safety and fundamentals, pre-assault indicator and managing unknown contacts/scenarios, basic medical/stop-the-bleed, and the basics of self-defense law in your state will cover the vast majority of problems you're likely to be confronted with.

41magfan
01-27-2020, 12:58 PM
To be quite honest, I'm not real keen on the idea of "guns around the house and in vehicles", as well. For the most part, guns are immediate use tools that need to be carried on you … not stashed somewhere. But having said that, there are numerous ways to effectively secure unattended firearms in your home and vehicles, so the safety concern she has is misguided. Educate her on these particular elements of being ready and able and perhaps she'll feel differently.

Rhino
01-27-2020, 01:26 PM
To be quite honest, I'm not real keen on the idea of "guns around the house and in vehicles", as well. For the most part, guns are immediate use tools that need to be carried on you … not stashed somewhere. But having said that, there are numerous ways to effectively secure unattended firearms in your home and vehicles, so the safety concern she has is misguided. Educate her on these particular elements of being ready and able and perhaps she'll feel differently.

I did not state that very well. None would be lying around. All would be properly secured. Thank you, that is a good reminder to so so and to communicate more effectively/ clearly.

Also, someone stated that, showing her a few responses may not convince her. (paraphrasing a bit) This is true, without question educating is a better way to go. There is an old saying: Facts tell, story's sell. Not that I am selling anything, but I think you get the point. The video was plenty graphic to quickly tell of nearly the worse case scenario. :eek: I was just curious as to the frequency of use for the individuals who visit this site.

41magfan
01-27-2020, 01:56 PM
I did not state that very well. None would be lying around. All would be properly secured. Thank you, that is a good reminder to so so and to communicate more effectively/ clearly.

Also, someone stated that, showing her a few responses may not convince her. (paraphrasing a bit) This is true, without question educating is a better way to go. There is an old saying: Facts tell, story's sell. Not that I am selling anything, but I think you get the point. The video was plenty graphic to quickly tell of nearly the worse case scenario. :eek: I was just curious as to the frequency of use for the individuals who visit this site.

I used those words because in truth, that may be exactly what she's thinking and might be the root cause of her concerns. Show her the ways your gun(s) can be secure yet accessible to alleviate those fears.

As to the matter of "need", I view frequency, probability and odds like this;

A full appreciation for the law of randomness makes those dynamics rather moot. It's also a bit like shark attack statistics. If you go in the water, and there are sharks inhabiting those waters at the same time, the published odds of being bitten should offer little comfort to the enlightened. So, I am cognizant of the fact that there are sharks in all of the waters I swim in (metaphorically speaking) and I prepare accordingly by being armed all the time.

RevolverRob
01-27-2020, 02:26 PM
There are two issues here. The first is convincing a spouse/partner that you are safe and capable of owning and operating a firearm. The second is the need for such a device.

To address the first issue; before you buy a gun, go take a training course. An intro to pistol shooting course and you can take your concealed handgun licensing course. If you can convince her, have her take the course(s) with you to understand and go through the same training.

To address the second point - this is more difficult and some people are unlikely to establish the cognitive framework for "need" until an event occurs in which the need is abundantly clear. Hopefully, your wife is not such a person.

Start by having her read Gavin de Becker's "The Gift of Fear": https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440508835/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0 - Note de Becker isn't just some "crazy" talking about these things, quite the contrary, he is a well paid and highly respected security consultant including to many famous and wealthy people (like Jeff Bezos).

If she can make it through The Gift of Fear without becoming cognizant of a need for proper training, protection, and armament - then it is very unlikely that she will establish such a mindset absent a life changing event.

richiecotite
01-27-2020, 03:00 PM
I'll go ahead and share mine....

This happened back in 2008/2009. At the time, me and wife were living in NE DC in a semi decent apt complex (3 blocks from Catholic U and 2 from the Basilica). I was working a 9-5, and bouncing at a college bar in College Park 11-2, 3 or 4 nights a week. Pretty used to keeping strange hours and getting by on limited sleep.

At this time daughter was a few months old and was waking up every 2 hours on the dot during the night. Car rides put her to sleep good and quick, so I strapped her in and decided to go for a drive. She wasn't going down, and I was bored, so I decided to go to a buddy's house around 12:30-1 (we were roommates and I knew he was always up late). Went to his place, hung out for a few, and left out the back (his apt was in the basement). Opened and closed the fence gate and starting walking to the sidewalk when I noticed a couple of dudes less than half a block away. I swear something felt off, but at the time I was 25 and tired, plus I used to live in the neighborhood and was cool with the dopeboys and crackheads in around the way. Was also thinking since I'm a big ass black dude (6'2" 280), and could halfway throw hands, I didn't look like bait.

Walking across the street to my car I could hear them saying something to each other and they started to split, one started crossing the street 30 feet away from me and the other dude started coming up to me from behind (I could hear his steps and pace increase). I decided my best course was to try pull the roscoe, open the door, toss baby girl in the car and start busting. Got out my keys, threw them in the left hand, had my daughter in my left arm and an fnp9 in my right hand. Soon as I pulled out, I heard the dude behind start booking the opposite way he had just come, his buddy just kept walking on towards the main drag. I'm 100% sure those dudes were gonna rob me specifically because I had the baby and would be less likely to fight back.

Darth_Uno
01-27-2020, 03:27 PM
There are two issues here. The first is convincing a spouse/partner that you are safe and capable of owning and operating a firearm. The second is the need for such a device.

To address the first issue; before you buy a gun, go take a training course. An intro to pistol shooting course and you can take your concealed handgun licensing course. If you can convince her, have her take the course(s) with you to understand and go through the same training.

To address the second point - this is more difficult and some people are unlikely to establish the cognitive framework for "need" until an event occurs in which the need is abundantly clear. Hopefully, your wife is not such a person.

If you can convince her to take the concealed carry class with you, she'll likely see that everyone else in class is fairly normal, and you're not stepping into a world of gun nuts, vigilantes, and danger.

AKDoug
01-27-2020, 03:34 PM
I have worn my seatbelt every single time I've driven a car since 1985. I've logged over a million miles in commercial vehicles, and probably that many in private cars. I have not been in an accident yet where my seatbelt was a factor. Yet, I still where it because I know what couldhappen.

Likewise, we have kept fire extinguishers in our house for the last 32 years and never once used them. But I know what couldhappen.

I carry a firearm because I have a responsibility to my employees, my family and myself because of what could happen. I haven't used it yet, but won't hesitate to do so in the appropriate situation.

HCM
01-27-2020, 03:34 PM
Hello,
I am considering getting a CCW. (Conceal and Carry) My wife is not very keen on the idea of guns around the house or in a vehicle. I try to let her know that it is a shield for us, and you don't need it until you need it, so preparation is the key.
For those who do Conceal and Carry or even those who keep it for home defense, can you share any story when having your weapon was needed and affected the outcome.
Thanks
Rhino

Snow white is spot on that no one sensible is going to be posting about their defensive gun uses on the internet.

There is more to preparation than merely possessing a gun as if it was a ballistic lucky rabbits foot that will somehow ward off evil. Guns are part of a layered system which includes awareness and training. Getting a gun and getting training in its safe handling and use, especially beyond whatever is the mandatory minimum in you state may go a long way to easing your wife's concerns. Every American male thinks he is born an expert in firearms, driving etc. For those of us that do guns for a living, there is no greater danger signal than "I been shoot'in fer years."

When you say " guns around the house or in a vehicle." are you talking about guns stashed all over the house or left in a vehicle in lieu of carrying?

I think you will find most here of the opinion that guns should be carried on the person when ever possible and secured when not under your immediate control. We have a thread about "lounge around guns" i.e. smaller easy to carry guns worn around the house or yard when one would not normally be fully armed.

There are times when guns must be temporarily secured in vehicles due to going somewhere carry is prohibited. a small console safe or lock box secured to the vehicle via chain or cable helps mitigate the risk.

Otherwise, a car is not a holster and permanent "car guns" or "Truck guns" are simply the mark of someone too lazy to actually carry their gun. There are two issues- one is that at the speed bad things happen in real life accessing a gun in a vehicle, especially if you aren't in the vehicle is unrealistic. Second is that in my experience unsecured guns in cars sooner or later get stolen and become "crime guns." Some address this by buying cheap "expendable" guns as if their personal financial loss excused the moral issue of knowingly arming a criminal.

While residential burglaries are less common than car burglaries, we have at least one member here who had a fellow officer killed by a suspect using an unsecured gun stolen in a residential burglary immediately prior to the police encounter.

pangloss
01-27-2020, 03:59 PM
I don't have the file or a link, but there is a 911 recording of a woman named Karen and her baby being murdered in her bedroom by a stranger with a hammer. If I recall correctly, they never caught the guy. It's sickening to listen to and not something you need hear more than once.

I feel that I have a moral duty to use every means available to protect my family. However, having a gun does introduce the risk of accidental shootings. Being a responsible gun owner is key to making the risk assessment work. This includes safe storage and proper training.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

RJ
01-27-2020, 05:00 PM
Been CCWing for approximately four years. I’ve fortunately been paying attention to my surroundings enough to keep out of any need to draw or use my firearm. To borrow a phrase from I believe Mr John Farnham, I avoid dong stupid things in stupid places with stupid people. But having taken Mr Tom Givens Rangemaster Defensive Pistol Class, I understand you can still get killed in the most normal situations.

To answer your question, I have had my hand discreetly on my gun in two situations I’d rather not go into online. Neither incident proceeded further.

Wise_A
01-27-2020, 07:08 PM
If you can convince her to take the concealed carry class with you, she'll likely see that everyone else in class is fairly normal, and you're not stepping into a world of gun nuts, vigilantes, and danger.

Speaking as an RSO/assistant to a non-trivial number of those classes...depends on the class. More than once, I've had some idiot in one of mine that's read one too many issues of American Handgunner. Fortunately, they've always managed to fail, either the written or the shooting portion. Almost universally, they've been older men. I did, however, have a young guy in a wheelchair tell me he wanted to get a gun, "in case he saw something, like some guy smacking around a girl". Fortunately, he was receptive when I pointed out all the ways that was stupid. He wasn't a bad guy, just un-learned, and I think, kinda feeling down on himself for being in the chair.

It's not fucking hard--it's not can you shoot, it's must you shoot.

For the most part, guns are immediate use tools that need to be carried on you]

I would also point out that carry is one of the more effective forms of care/custody/control.

Hello,
Thanks
Rhino

Fun times. Now, understand when you read the following, I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm trying to be honest. I don't know you, I don't know where you live, and I don't know if a gun is the right choice for you. Or maybe you're lazy, uncommitted, or just plain make dumb decisions. All of which are okay, but all of which will also get you murdered with your own piece, or let you experience the joy of a surprise neutering. Also understand that I think we'd all be better off if more people carried.

First off, a gun does not protect you. You protect you. Lots of guys walk around thinking, "Oh, I'm cool, if X Y or Z happens, I'll just shoot a fool." But the fact of the matter is that once you shoot said fool, no matter how gun-friendly your local jurisdiction may be, your life is irreversibly altered. Whether that means a protracted legal battle for your freedom, your marriage ending, your friends ditching you because they're creeped out, or having to explain to every future employer about your fool-shooting excursion, shit's gonna be different. A gun is a self-defense accessory. Real security comes from things like awareness, verbal skills, commitment to strategic planning (i.e.--fueling up the day before so you don't have to visit the gas station at 4AM), and home security. Literally, out of every situation I've ever been in that could have escalated to deadly force, the solution was: verbal, awareness, verbal, awareness, verbal, verbal, verbal. About half those dudes had a definite plan to fuck me up. At least one of them would have been a non-survivable scenario if I had been armed but unaware.

The verbals are kinda funny, because I'm not physically impressive, but seem to have a knack for command presence. I don't get it.

Second, carrying a gun is a lifestyle choice. There will be shit you can't do anymore. No more bars. In fact, if you're carrying, I would go as far as to say any alcohol in public at all is a bad idea--I sure don't drink if I'm packing, and that means not a single drop. When you're carrying, no more flipping people off in traffic. Your mantra should be "Just let it slide". Every situation and conflict in public must be viewed through the lens of "How can I avoid escalating this?". Because if you don't do that, you're gonna look awful stupid explaining how you had to shoot a guy because he cut you off in traffic. And all of that is on top of all the banal considerations you must make because you have a lump of metal and plastic on your belt. You'll need to dress differently. Hell, you go to the supermarket? Get ready to re-learn how to pick up a can off the bottom shelf, my friend. Carrying a gun is not fun, it's a fucking hassle.

And yes, the stories are true, you will have to re-learn how to use the bathroom. A couple weeks into my CCW career, I dipped into a local bathroom, and as I opened the door, a guy standing at the urinal managed to fumble and drop his S&W M&P 9mm on the floor. Cheap-ass holsters, man...

Third, carrying a gun is a never-ending commitment to safety. Take a look at this piece of shit:

https://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/leather-holster-ad-nd-1.jpg

Dumb as hell, right? Who would carry a gun in a holster like that? Lots of folks, if you give them enough time. If you're not going to regularly inspect your gear, and replace it as soon as it shows signs of deterioration, then do yourself (and your balls) a favor, and leave the gun in the safe.

Ditto for inspecting yourself. You have to make a commitment to following safe gun handling procedure on a daily basis. Since you're going to be carrying on the reg, instead of just once a week or once a month when you hit the range, it's gonna be real damn easy to get complacent. There was a great story on YouTube of some guy--normal dude, not a genuine Stupid Person--who managed to shoot his finger off. He was practicing drawing from concealment, AIWB, while apparently meandering around his house. Eventually, he finished getting ready, loaded and chambered his gun, and re-holstered it. Then, for some reason, his brain went, "Aw, one more rep!" and he drew his gun, and fired while muzzling his hand. Bye-bye finger.

Anyways, he spent like 10 or 15 minutes explaining how the discharge happened, what he did wrong in his draw stroke, where his support hand should'be been, blah blah blah, whatever.

No, you shot your finger off because you were playing with your gun. It wasn't your draw stroke, you just stopped treating the thing like a serious implement, and started treating it like a toy, because you handle it every day.

Anyways, good luck. I hope my rantings were illuminating. Without knowing your personal situation or precisely how many ninja gangbangers have sworn blood vendettas against you, I would suggest not pushing too hard. If she's not comfortable with it, she's not comfortable with it, and it's her house, too. I may be a huge gun guy, but I'd much rather have a wife than a gun.

idahojess
01-27-2020, 09:14 PM
Lots of good books out there -- Massad Ayoob, Dave Spaulding, Ed Lovette -- I'm reading Tom Given's book right now.

If you are looking for stories of self defense with a firearm-- this was a pretty good book, with lots of analysis of incidents. I read the old version -- I haven't read the updated one.

https://www.amazon.com/Thank-God-Had-Gun-Self-Defense/dp/098359015X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=thank+god+i+had+a+gun&qid=1580177214&sr=8-1

Oldherkpilot
01-27-2020, 09:19 PM
Can't remember where I heard this but it is a truism beyond refute: " Pistols and parachutes are a lot alike: if you ever need one and don't have it, you probably won't need one again".

Cory
01-27-2020, 09:51 PM
Speaking as an RSO/assistant to a non-trivial number of those classes...depends on the class. More than once, I've had some idiot in one of mine that's read one too many issues of American Handgunner. Fortunately, they've always managed to fail, either the written or the shooting portion. Almost universally, they've been older men. I did, however, have a young guy in a wheelchair tell me he wanted to get a gun, "in case he saw something, like some guy smacking around a girl". Fortunately, he was receptive when I pointed out all the ways that was stupid. He wasn't a bad guy, just un-learned, and I think, kinda feeling down on himself for being in the chair.

It's not fucking hard--it's not can you shoot, it's must you shoot.

I would also point out that carry is one of the more effective forms of care/custody/control.

Fun times. Now, understand when you read the following, I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm trying to be honest. I don't know you, I don't know where you live, and I don't know if a gun is the right choice for you. Or maybe you're lazy, uncommitted, or just plain make dumb decisions. All of which are okay, but all of which will also get you murdered with your own piece, or let you experience the joy of a surprise neutering. Also understand that I think we'd all be better off if more people carried.

First off, a gun does not protect you. You protect you. Lots of guys walk around thinking, "Oh, I'm cool, if X Y or Z happens, I'll just shoot a fool." But the fact of the matter is that once you shoot said fool, no matter how gun-friendly your local jurisdiction may be, your life is irreversibly altered. Whether that means a protracted legal battle for your freedom, your marriage ending, your friends ditching you because they're creeped out, or having to explain to every future employer about your fool-shooting excursion, shit's gonna be different. A gun is a self-defense accessory. Real security comes from things like awareness, verbal skills, commitment to strategic planning (i.e.--fueling up the day before so you don't have to visit the gas station at 4AM), and home security. Literally, out of every situation I've ever been in that could have escalated to deadly force, the solution was: verbal, awareness, verbal, awareness, verbal, verbal, verbal. About half those dudes had a definite plan to fuck me up. At least one of them would have been a non-survivable scenario if I had been armed but unaware.

The verbals are kinda funny, because I'm not physically impressive, but seem to have a knack for command presence. I don't get it.

Second, carrying a gun is a lifestyle choice. There will be shit you can't do anymore. No more bars. In fact, if you're carrying, I would go as far as to say any alcohol in public at all is a bad idea--I sure don't drink if I'm packing, and that means not a single drop. When you're carrying, no more flipping people off in traffic. Your mantra should be "Just let it slide". Every situation and conflict in public must be viewed through the lens of "How can I avoid escalating this?". Because if you don't do that, you're gonna look awful stupid explaining how you had to shoot a guy because he cut you off in traffic. And all of that is on top of all the banal considerations you must make because you have a lump of metal and plastic on your belt. You'll need to dress differently. Hell, you go to the supermarket? Get ready to re-learn how to pick up a can off the bottom shelf, my friend. Carrying a gun is not fun, it's a fucking hassle.

And yes, the stories are true, you will have to re-learn how to use the bathroom. A couple weeks into my CCW career, I dipped into a local bathroom, and as I opened the door, a guy standing at the urinal managed to fumble and drop his S&W M&P 9mm on the floor. Cheap-ass holsters, man...

Third, carrying a gun is a never-ending commitment to safety. Take a look at this piece of shit:

https://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/leather-holster-ad-nd-1.jpg

Dumb as hell, right? Who would carry a gun in a holster like that? Lots of folks, if you give them enough time. If you're not going to regularly inspect your gear, and replace it as soon as it shows signs of deterioration, then do yourself (and your balls) a favor, and leave the gun in the safe.

Ditto for inspecting yourself. You have to make a commitment to following safe gun handling procedure on a daily basis. Since you're going to be carrying on the reg, instead of just once a week or once a month when you hit the range, it's gonna be real damn easy to get complacent. There was a great story on YouTube of some guy--normal dude, not a genuine Stupid Person--who managed to shoot his finger off. He was practicing drawing from concealment, AIWB, while apparently meandering around his house. Eventually, he finished getting ready, loaded and chambered his gun, and re-holstered it. Then, for some reason, his brain went, "Aw, one more rep!" and he drew his gun, and fired while muzzling his hand. Bye-bye finger.

Anyways, he spent like 10 or 15 minutes explaining how the discharge happened, what he did wrong in his draw stroke, where his support hand should'be been, blah blah blah, whatever.

No, you shot your finger off because you were playing with your gun. It wasn't your draw stroke, you just stopped treating the thing like a serious implement, and started treating it like a toy, because you handle it every day.

Anyways, good luck. I hope my rantings were illuminating. Without knowing your personal situation or precisely how many ninja gangbangers have sworn blood vendettas against you, I would suggest not pushing too hard. If she's not comfortable with it, she's not comfortable with it, and it's her house, too. I may be a huge gun guy, but I'd much rather have a wife than a gun.

This is one of the best posts about this topic I've read in a long time. I will likely be linking similar threads to it in the future.

-Cory

Casual Friday
01-27-2020, 10:06 PM
It's hard to convince someone who doesn't have self-defense as a core value that carrying a gun, or having one in the house will make them safer. I've seen multiple examples of guys whose wives are convinced that having a gun will somehow magically attract danger--including my wife. It's like she thinks a gun has some sort of danger gravity, and bad people are pulled toward it.

I've needed a gun for self-defense in multiple encounters with humans and large animals. Fortunately I have never had to fire. But my wife still doesn't like me carrying one all the time. She's ok with it under some circumstances, but it still makes her feel uneasy when we are in places that are familiar and "safe".

Good luck. It takes time and patience, and I am still working on her.

It took being somewhere familiar and "safe" and nearly having to use it for it to completely click with my wife why I was carrying it everywhere.

Inspector71
01-27-2020, 10:30 PM
For zero knowledge going in, consider starting your education firearms training with the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting. It is an eight hour course that covers the fundamentals. You get a very nice student manual that goes more in depth than you think. Includes a modest shooting test at the end that most students will complete with a .22 Not high speed stuff, but for most people the training will be local and affordable.

VT1032
01-27-2020, 10:48 PM
Hello,
Thanks
Rhino

As others have said, I doubt many people will post their stories here, but if you are looking for a never ending repository of reasons why you should carry, check out active self protection on youtube. He has hundreds of videos of real defensive encounters and some pretty decent commentary on them. It can definitely be a rabbit hole once you start watching.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2z1NrvF2ImeNWh84mw

I won't get into a full description but the closest time I ever came to drawing on someone was on Christmas eve a few years ago when my wife and I were taking our 6 month old to have her picture taken with Santa at a local mall, and it was a road rage incident where some nut ran us off the road and blocked our car in during the middle of a snow storm because some snow came off my roof and hit his windshield. I was able to de-escalate and get away from him and drove to a police station and filed a report, but it just shows that bad stuff happens anywhere, and when you least expect it. What was strange too, was that I had a "sixth sense" sort of deal that morning. At the time, I'd been lazy quite a bit and had just been throwing a G43 in a pocket holster, but some voice in the back of my head told me to strap on the G19 that morning. I didn't end up needing it, but I had a much greater warm and fuzzy feeling knowing I had my G19 and a 21rnd happy stick for a reload if push came to shove.