PDA

View Full Version : Old eyes and home defense.

jtcarm
01-26-2020, 07:40 PM
It has occurred to me in home defense, I wouldnt have time to don glasses. So today I tried shooting the revolver super-test with just range glasses.

Yikes!

Only familiarity with the gun gave me some clue where the FS was.

My 15-yard target looked like it’d been hit by a load of 000 fired from a rifled barrel.

5 & 10 were close to passable.

The gun is a 3” M-64 with painted FS. Shooting with my grandpa glasses, I normally score 162-172. This is my carry and night stand gun.

I fared a little better with a 4” M66 equipped with a 1/10” FO post.

While there’s nowhere in my house I’d have a 15-yard shot, I’d like to be able to see my front sight when I wake up suddenly in a dark house. Is it time to think about a laser? Red dot? Different gun?

I have a Novak night sight of the same height as the M-64s ramp. I think it’s high time to get it installed.

So you other folks who can’t see an FS without glasses, what’s on your bedside for when something goes bump in the night and you can’t grab your specs?

BillSWPA
01-26-2020, 07:50 PM
Th pistol that is secured for rapid bedside access is a 1911 with a Crimson Trace Lasergrip as well as Novak tritium sights. I can see well enough to distinguish targets from family members without my glasses (although that is certainly a reason I would grab my glasses any time I had the extra couple of seconds to do so), but the front sight would be a problem. The laser sight solves the sighting problem.

My primary carry guns do not have lasers, but most of my tiny backup/NPE guns do have Crimson Trace lasers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingate's Hairbrush
01-26-2020, 08:13 PM
If you don't have time to grab your glasses, you may or may not have time to grab your firearm; either way, distance and front sight won't be a factor.

Dave T
01-26-2020, 09:06 PM
...either way, distance and front sight won't be a factor.

I have heard this time and time again down through the years. Back when i was training cops I got the department to stage a "night training" once a year. Other agencies sent some of their people to get the experience. Every time I ran into an officer who told me he/she didn't have to aim at close quarters, and in poor lighting, I would find they didn't hit very much if at all. This was particularly popular with the Feds who would stop by on occasion (BP, Customs, F&WS). So, in my declining years I remain skeptical. (smile)

Dave

Stephanie B
01-26-2020, 09:07 PM
CT Lastergrips on a S&W Model 65.

Wingate's Hairbrush
01-26-2020, 09:19 PM
I have heard this time and time again down through the years. Back when i was training cops I got the department to stage a "night training" once a year. Other agencies sent some of their people to get the experience. Every time I ran into an officer who told me he/she didn't have to aim at close quarters, and in poor lighting, I would find they didn't hit very much if at all. This was particularly popular with the Feds who would stop by on occasion (BP, Customs, F&WS). So, in my declining years I remain skeptical. (smile)
DaveI'm familiar with the tropes referenced and agree with you.

My point in the scenario OP posits -- which is different than general close quarters in poor lighting -- is that if there's no time to get glasses on it means the target is in the room and upon you, in which case assuming you can get the firearm into play, it's going to be an entangled or contact shot.

Dave T
01-26-2020, 09:25 PM
I'm familiar with the tropes referenced and agree with you.

My point in the scenario OP posits -- which is different than general close quarters in poor lighting -- is that if there's no time to get glasses on it means the target is in the room and upon you, in which case assuming you can get the firearm into play, it's going to be an entangled or contact shot.

Point taken!

Dave

BN
01-26-2020, 09:34 PM
My bedside pistol is a Glock 17 with Ameriglo Tritium sights, CT Laser grips and a big light on the rail.

HCM
01-26-2020, 09:36 PM

Dave

How long ago was this?

Can’t speak to the other agencies but the BP course of fire was the same for a decades prior to me coming in and anything beyond the 1.5 yard retention shooting was sighted fire at eye level. At 3 yards we have traditionally use the term referencing your sites which basically turns in to bring the gun to eye level and aiming with the whole gun instead of just the sights, Crude but it is still a form of sighted fire.

Subsequently in the nuclear night sights era, We officially run a night fire familiarization At 3 yards we have traditionally use the term referencing your sites which basically turns in to bring the gun to I level an email with the whole gun instead of the site we shoot the standard course of fire without light omitting the 25 yard line. Locally, to give a better frame of reference we started shooting out to 25 yards with night sites in low light. What we found wasMany of our marginal performers shot 20 to 30 points higher than their normal qualification scores because they had nothing to look at but the sights.
For the OP, you may want to try and auto pistol with something like the Trijicon HD sites or even the XS sights for no glasses use though a red dot sight or laser would likely be the best soloution.

You can mount a red dot sight to most Smith and Wesson and Ruger adjustable sight revolvers without too much trouble if you are more comfortable running a revolver. Do a search as we have a thread going on revolvers with red dots.

A weapon mounted light is the biggest argument for a modern semi auto as a home defense gun all those Smith and Wesson does make the TR8.

Dave T
01-26-2020, 10:39 PM
How long ago was this?

Mid-1980s. All the Federal officers who participated were carrying revolvers, loaded with 110g 38 Special +P+ rounds which seemed to be held in some contempt by most.

Dave

blues
01-26-2020, 10:46 PM
Mid-1980s. All the Federal officers who participated were carrying revolvers, loaded with 110g 38 Special +P+ rounds which seemed to be held in some contempt by most.

Dave

I remember a short period of time where this mode of instruction (and ammo) was provided. Can't remember whether it was in NYC, (Rodman's Neck, NYPD range), or Miami, (Miami-Dade P.D. range). Pretty sure it was in South FL.

Dave T
01-26-2020, 10:54 PM
Blues,

A couple Customs guys showed up one year and one had just transferred to AZ from the NYC area. He was one of the fellows who insisted he didn't need to aim at close quarters. In an exercise that required engaging 3 targets from 3-5 yards and barely visible in ambient light, he missed all six shots firing from a low crouch position. He was kind of embarrassed after the brag but I encouraged him to learn from it.

Dave

blues
01-26-2020, 11:08 PM
Blues,

A couple Customs guys showed up one year and one had just transferred to AZ from the NYC area. He was one of the fellows who insisted he didn't need to aim at close quarters. In an exercise that required engaging 3 targets from 3-5 yards and barely visible in ambient light, he missed all six shots firing from a low crouch position. He was kind of embarrassed after the brag but I encouraged him to learn from it.

Dave

I trained at Marana (FLETC West) in the middle 80's but I don't believe that was where that instruction was received. (Seth Nadel was running the range back then.)

I think it was one of our in-house range officers back in the middle to late 80's. And I think it may have only been at one or two quarterly quals / instruction sessions.

ETA:

P.S. I always use my sights.

Dave T
01-26-2020, 11:18 PM
I trained at Marana (FLETC West) in the middle 80's but I don't believe that was where that instruction was received. (Seth Nadel was running the range back then.)

I used to shoot competition (IPSC & Steel Combat Matches) at Pima Pistol Club with Seth. We first met at Bruce Nelson's place after he moved to Tucson from Calif.

In '85 or '86 I attended a two week officer survival course put on by a guest instructor from the FLETC in Georgia. To show their cooperation with the locals the Feds invited a few firearms instructors to attend along with the regular Customs Class. Myself (Pima County Sheriff's Dept.) and one of the instructors from the Tucson Police Dept. took part.

Dave

Totem Polar
01-26-2020, 11:52 PM
Getting back to the OP for a sec, I’m in the process of transitioning what I can to XS big dots, since my vision is crappy. Glocks are easy, and I’ve even got a project for dovetailing up a Springfield Mil-Spec in the hopper, because, I can’t quit the 1911.

Incidentally, vision is why I’m getting away from the G42 and going LCR for low-profile (they both have XS sights); the main advantage of the mini-glocks, IMHO, is that they’re way easier to shoot at distance, and that remains true for me. However, despite retaining the ability to punch B8 paper at the end of the range with a G42, I’ve lost the real-world ability to determine "iphone" from "Saturday night special" at those distances, so I may as well take the more effective projectile for "inside the length of an SUV" duty.

There’s something to be said for revolvers when your detail vision starts to go for good.

Sammy1
01-27-2020, 07:41 AM
Not a target sight but should be good for home defense ranges; https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993754&CAT=8373

revchuck38
01-27-2020, 07:58 AM
It's funny the way things work out sometimes. A few years back, the retina in my right (dominant) eye detached. My vision has always been weird; my left eye was close to 20/20 but my right got as bad as 20/400. After the surgery to re-attach the retina, my vision in that eye actually improved to the point where I can see the front sight fairly sharply without glasses. My nightstand gun is an M&P40 mounting a TLR1 and the sight picture is pretty good with no glasses and the light on.

EricG
01-27-2020, 09:35 AM
I quit playing the corrective lens game. My thoughts are, glasses may become dislodged and putting in contacts isnt an option.

So my bedside and carry guns host red dots. I can see the dot in all conditions, with or without corrective lenses.

Consistent low to mid 80's B8's at 25 yds without corrective lenses and I'm good.

Of course, pistols and rifle related...not revolvers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Alpha Sierra
01-27-2020, 11:19 AM
I quit playing the corrective lens game. My thoughts are, glasses may become dislodged and putting in contacts isnt an option.

So my bedside and carry guns host red dots. I can see the dot in all conditions, with or without corrective lenses.

How well can you see the dot? I have significant myopia and without corrective lenses the dot (pistol or rifle) is a diffuse red blob.

But your thought gives me an idea: I need to see how far I can shoot, and to what degree of accuracy, using iron and RDS sighted pistols without my vision correction.

Tom Duffy
01-27-2020, 11:20 AM
My nightstand gun is a HK P30L with an RMR, night sights, and a Surefire light attached. I've been shooting regularly with a red dot for about 4 years now and am confident that I can find the dot reliably without a problem. If you're not, I think a green CTC laser is the way to go.

Alpha Sierra
01-27-2020, 11:22 AM
It has occurred to me in home defense, I wouldnt have time to don glasses.

I'm not sure what your setup is, but every night right before I go to bed I make damned sure both my glasses and my pistol are in the same exact spot they're supposed to be.

I can put my glasses on within 2-3 seconds of becoming awake in pitch black darkness.

revchuck38
01-27-2020, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure what your setup is, but every night right before I go to bed I make damned sure both my glasses and my pistol are in the same exact spot they're supposed to be.

I can put my glasses on within 2-3 seconds of becoming awake in pitch black darkness.

Same here, phone too.

willie
01-27-2020, 11:56 AM
Blues,

Dave
Once I tried to learn shooting from the low crouch position as was taught to FBI agents. No success. My teacher, though, was great. He had the ability to hit cans in the air with a sling shot. He could shoot skeet from the hip. He was an expert stunt shooter. The man had fired a train load of handgun ammo. I wondered just how many folks had mastered this trick.

Poconnor
01-27-2020, 12:33 PM
When my eyes started going bad I changed from liking all black sights to loving front sight with bright color and a wide rear notch. My favorite rear sight for autos is the 10-8; they come in different rear sight widths. Currently I like the .140 rear. They also come in .156. I think heinie sights also are available with wide rear notches. I no longer want tritium night sights. After you fire at night you can’t see them anymore not to mention they don’t last forever ( nothing does) my sight alignment comes from my grip. The flash sight picture verifies my alignment. today I much prefer a grip laser and a white light to tritium sight. - getting back to the original post- I have been thinking about adding dovetail sights to a Smith and Wesson model 64. It’s funny. It’s like we came full circle. We used to take a colt government 191 to a gunsmith to add sights and trigger work. Now I’m thinking of doing it to a S&w model 64. I was searching gun broker for a police trade in/ cheap model 64. I realized that by the time I had everything done to a model 64 I might as well have bought a Smith & Wesson model 66 and just added a cylinder and slide rear sight or a DL rear sight. I will post my model 66-4 when I am done. Check out tiger mckee’s website. He was working on a model 66-1. He added a big dot front sight and was going to add C&S sights next. Louis Awerbuck wrote several articles in Swat magazine about about old man sights as has Erik who posts here. The cheap , fast , good solution is to put a set of crimson trace laser grips on your revolver. For low light and house hold distances if I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your hits. Bring the pistol up to eye level as normal-then Look over the sights to see the laser. I do a parallel laser zero. I do not adjust the grip laser to hit point of aim for a set range. It will be off the closer or farther you are from the sight in range. Unless you want it dedicated to house ranges.

JAH 3rd
01-27-2020, 02:39 PM
My bedside pistol is a Glock 17 with Ameriglo Tritium sights, CT Laser grips and a big light on the rail.

Asking because I haven't thought about 'til your post. I like the options here. My question is will the rail light wash-out the laser dot on the target?

SAWBONES
01-27-2020, 02:55 PM
With vision becoming less sharp with age, I too have found a wider rear notch coupled with a wider front sight post (with a big white dot), to be helpful.

An unavoidable but acceptable degree of sacrifice in precision occurs, while essential accuracy is maintained.

BN
01-27-2020, 02:58 PM
Asking because I haven't thought about 'til your post. I like the options here. My question is will the rail light wash-out the laser dot on the target?

I had to go try it.

Yes it does wash out some, but the laser is still usable, just not as bright. I figure the light won't be on steady anyway.

Crazy Dane
01-27-2020, 04:31 PM
I graduated from single vison to multifocal progressive lens the last time I went to the eye doc. In short this just means I cant see shit while standing in it with or without glasses. This makes me very grateful for my 3 Great Danes and mini weeny dog, he's got the ankles. If someone enters my house uninvited, I (should) will have ample time to don my eyeglasses and possibly even pants and shoes while the dogs play with their newfound chew toy. If things go sideways or the dogs have a change of heart and invite said bad guy in, I'm grabbing a M&P-15 with a T-1 set to the lowest setting I can see in a lit room in the house. At "in my house" distances, the dot, even though it blooms a lot, no glasses, gives me A zone hits all night long. A big colorful dot on the front sight and black rears are what seems to be working the best on my hand guns. I am getting a bloom with any type of glowing sight be it tritium or FO and its "just annoying" especially in low light.

Baldanders
01-27-2020, 05:40 PM
I have 20/200 vision, severe atigmatism, and crystallized protein clusters stuck in the dead center of each eye.

Forget the sights, I have trouble identifying what race people are at 5 yards in broad daylight w/o glasses.

I am very careful about where I put my glasses when I`m going to sleep.

Probably need to get a spare set to keep inside the night stand.

Baldanders
01-27-2020, 05:50 PM

I also make damn sure there is nothing beside the bed or on/in the nightstand that SHOULDN'T be there. Having to try to find my glasses with an obstacle in the way puts me in a shit mood for a while, not to mention the problems for self-defense.

Poconnor
01-27-2020, 07:38 PM
When I run a white light and a grip laser I don’t use all them at the same time. When my trigger finger is indexed on the slide and my grip has activated my crimson trace grip laser the laser is blocked by my finger (I am right handed) .
In low light the laser dot is very visible on the target (once I move my finger) . When the white light is on in lowlight the sights are silhouetted and very visible. If you cannot see the sights clearly use the white light is to illuminate and identify the threat/ target; turn light off - use the laser and target focus to aim .

1Rangemaster
01-27-2020, 07:43 PM
To the OP, background: 67th birthday in a couple of weeks. Lens replacements and retinal tears (repaired) in both eyes. Prescription glasses for distance, driving, etc. That said, I am surprised no one(I think) has mentioned a hand held light.
I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. But first, I would get the most powerful hand held I could afford-and Lord there are a bunch. Streamlight, SUREFIRE, Maglight has a new rechargeable, etc., etc. I personally like 1000+ lumens, rechargeables won’t ruin you over battery costs, and a light is useful in many circumstances.
Want gun hardware? The suggestion of laser grips is a good one; when I had a knee replaced, a snub nose with laser grips rode in my sweat pants for awhile.
Tom Givens and others have written on setting ones house up; long lasting light bulbs in big rooms, layers of doors, etc.
You want new gear? I have a G19, red dot sight and mount a big Streamlight with white light and green laser. One could
go on and on with shotguns, rifles, etc.
But please consider a really good hand held, and practice one handed shooting with the light(suggest temple index to start). You can practice live on a lit range and dry fire, too!

BN
01-27-2020, 08:14 PM
This shows the XS sight on a revolver and the .140" wide Warren Tactical tritium front sight on a Glock. The Warren is not quite as big as the XS but it shows up pretty well for me. Plus it has a traditional flat top and I use the superior Warren Wave rear sight.

Totem Polar
01-27-2020, 09:30 PM
But please consider a really good hand held, and practice one handed shooting with the light(suggest temple index to start). You can practice live on a lit range and dry fire, too!

This is a good point. It’s been years since I went to the range without a leg of practice firing SHO with a surefire in my support hand. Even during the day, 450+ lumens does great things to an XS big dot out front.

UNK
01-27-2020, 10:33 PM
Getting back to the OP for a sec, I’m in the process of transitioning what I can to XS big dots, since my vision is crappy. Glocks are easy, and I’ve even got a project for dovetailing up a Springfield Mil-Spec in the hopper, because, I can’t quit the 1911.

Incidentally, vision is why I’m getting away from the G42 and going LCR for low-profile (they both have XS sights); the main advantage of the mini-glocks, IMHO, is that they’re way easier to shoot at distance, and that remains true for me. However, despite retaining the ability to punch B8 paper at the end of the range with a G42, I’ve lost the real-world ability to determine "iphone" from "Saturday night special" at those distances, so I may as well take the more effective projectile for "inside the length of an SUV" duty.

There’s something to be said for revolvers when your detail vision starts to go for good.

I was on XS Sights website today. They also make sights for RDS/Suppressor height. https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9440

1Rangemaster
01-28-2020, 12:04 PM
This is a good point. It’s been years since I went to the range without a leg of practice firing SHO with a surefire in my support hand. Even during the day, 450+ lumens does great things to an XS big dot out front.

Thank you. I’m ok with 450 lumens-my “training” flashlight is a Streamlight ProTac 2L-X which can take a rechargeable. I usually carry a SUREFIRE “Tactician”.
Point is, get a light and train/practice with it.
Good hunting!(in the dark)

jtcarm
01-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.

A couple years ago I bought a Novak-style tritium FS on close-out somewhere. It’s the same height & width as the front blade on my M-64, so I’ll be getting that installed soon.

I’m kicking myself for trading away my 325 PD. With that big dot front it would’ve been an excellent NS gun.

srcochran49
01-28-2020, 05:03 PM
This was a very timely thread for me. Age 70, and finally lost ability to keep front sight in sharp focus, even with corrected vision. Ordered a set of Crimson Trace laser grips for one of the j frames. Hopefully this will prove to be beneficial.

Redhat
01-28-2020, 06:15 PM
Good discussion especially for those wearing glasses or the chance that you could not put them on in time.

Anyone considered what would happen if your glasses got knocked off or broken?

This is a problem I'm working as well.

PNWTO
01-28-2020, 06:25 PM
Good discussion especially for those wearing glasses or the chance that you could not put them on in time.

I keep my spare set of “summer” glasses with transition lenses in my work bag. It’s at least between me and the front door. Not optimal but that way they are always in the same building or vehicle as I am.

Fortunately my vision without glasses is still “somewhere on the IPSC at 15” good.

BillSWPA
01-28-2020, 09:14 PM

Definitely a problem worth considering. I would think that if your glasses were knocked off, it is because the problem is sufficiently close to you that you are engaging in unarmed techniques while trying to create the opportunity to shoot while simultaneously preventing the problem from creating that opportunity to shoot you.

I have seriously considered adding lasers to more of my carry guns but the biggest limiting factors are holster availability and in some cases sacrificing a good grip on the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Rangemaster
01-28-2020, 09:58 PM
Apologies in advance if this sounds like a broken record, but, please consider a hand held light of 300-1000 lumens and practice with it. Erick G., a GUNSITE Instructor, pointed out to me a “temple index” which would illuminate iron sights and not reflect off a red dot sight lens.
A slightly larger light could be an impact weapon. Regardless, more light(and laser) can’t be a bad thing. I would encourage dry practice and confirm if and when you can with live fire.

Wingate's Hairbrush
01-29-2020, 06:51 PM

This is a problem I'm working as well.This is why the majority of my day is spent in contact lenses and glasses are generally for evening/bedtime. If the situation permits for glasses getting knocked off or broken presumably by a threat, that threat's close enough that detailed vision isn't absolutely mandatory, and ones entangled skills are probably going to be more important than anything else.

It's ain't ideal, but it's doable.

Wingate's Hairbrush
01-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Apologies in advance if this sounds like a broken record, but, please consider a hand held light of 300-1000 lumens and practice with it. Erick G., a GUNSITE Instructor, pointed out to me a “temple index” which would illuminate iron sights and not reflect off a red dot sight lens.
A slightly larger light could be an impact weapon. Regardless, more light(and laser) can’t be a bad thing. I would encourage dry practice and confirm if and when you can with live fire.Good points all, but I will say that indoors -- particularly with light colored walls and small rooms -- there is such thing as too much light; it bounces back and can wash everything out, leaving you as blinded as the target.

1Rangemaster
01-29-2020, 07:40 PM
Well, granted. I’ve searched homes, and been dazzled when my light hit a mirror and reflected back. I can come up with scenarios where a light is a “bullet magnet”-but I don’t wish to argue.
The OP was about sighting in a home defense situation, shooting with less than optimal eyesight. As many have commented before, e.g., the “Tactical Professor”, target ID is critical.
To the OP, I’d go with a good hand held light first, then laser grips, then up the scale with new gear, etc. If one could fight effectively in low light, great! That is assuming one has identified the target, etc. My personal preference, but I will
take more light, perhaps to “power through” any reflections, other lights, etc.
YMMV.

Poconnor
01-29-2020, 07:43 PM
When searching a house with a white light; try using the splash of the light to see but not blind yourself. With a high Lumen light you don’t have to point the light directly at something. Often the light pointed down will illuminate the room. It works well with weapon mounted lights and muzzle discipline

Redhat
01-29-2020, 09:06 PM
This is why the majority of my day is spent in contact lenses and glasses are generally for evening/bedtime. If the situation permits for glasses getting knocked off or broken presumably by a threat, that threat's close enough that detailed vision isn't absolutely mandatory, and ones entangled skills are probably going to be more important than anything else.

It's ain't ideal, but it's doable.

I wan't narrowly referring to hand to hand, there are other situations where the glasses can come off. Trip and fall being the easiest. We typically consider what type glasses allow us to shoot to our optimum ability, but what about a set-up that gives best capability without "lenses"? I don't see this as a consideration for home defense scenarios only.

Didn't something of this nature happen to one of the agents in the Miami shoot-out?

deflave
02-04-2020, 08:52 PM

Dave

I've known more than one BP Agent that served in that era and the last thing I'd call them was a poor shot.

blues
02-04-2020, 09:02 PM
I've known more than one BP Agent that served in that era and the last thing I'd call them was a poor shot.

Back in the early 80's when I first attended FLETC, the BP agents would be up before the rest of us, raising the flag, getting their PT done and handling their business. Their shit was tight and they made the rest of us look like slackers.

Alpha Sierra
02-04-2020, 10:51 PM
Anyone considered what would happen if your glasses got knocked off or broken?.

Point shoot (metal on meat) the fucker

Baldanders
02-04-2020, 11:45 PM

This is my only option as well.

Dryfire drills in the dark with a flashlight are great if you can see the sights at all, but I would have to put the gun 3" from my face and squint.

Thanks Alpha, now I have a new mantra that will hopefully play in my head if I am in the fighting near-blind situation. Catchy. 😎

And it's another reason to stick with revolvers, not that I need one.

Stephanie B
02-05-2020, 07:55 AM
Back in the early 80's when I first attended FLETC, the BP agents would be up before the rest of us, raising the flag, getting their PT done and handling their business. Their shit was tight and they made the rest of us look like slackers.

I most definitely don't want to know what business they were "handling", but hopefully, they used protection.

Stephanie B
02-05-2020, 08:02 AM

That's where I am, too. I can see the laser dot, but fine-focus on the sights isn't possible without glasses. More than likely, a metal-on-meat shot will be a Bobbittizing event.

Alpha Sierra
02-05-2020, 08:15 AM
More than likely, a metal-on-meat shot will be a Bobbittizing event.

LOL

That'll hurt

Alpha Sierra
02-05-2020, 08:18 AM
I might've mentioned this before but shooting uspsa targets without my glasses at ever increasing distances is on my to do list for my next range trip.

I'd like to know what to expect.

revchuck38
02-05-2020, 08:30 AM
I might've mentioned this before but shooting uspsa targets without my glasses at ever increasing distances is on my to do list for my next range trip.

I'd like to know what to expect.

FWIW, I did a low-light class a couple of months ago and part of the drill was shooting IDPA targets at five yards without lights when it was too dark to see your sights. Keeping shots in the -0 was no problem. We didn't shoot farther than that, but I think that seven yards would've worked out okay too.

Danjojo
02-05-2020, 09:27 AM
Talk to many people who have defensively shot other people, from 0-10 yards majority never used sights in the manner they and most all train to...top of firearm is in your vision typically just under line of sight. Looking over it basically. Same same often with clearing houses.

Bright front sight or electronic dot on target is mo'better but as long you know it's definitely a deadly threat, at short range sight picture isn't a real issue IMO. The worry with poor vision is precision shot with a more distant target.

Something to think about as far as home defense goes. Just like training WHO or SHO if you wear glasses it would be good to do some training with them off. Also try strong tape on rear sight, dominant eye closed or blocked off, etc.