PDA

View Full Version : Someone is going to get banned for

LittleLebowski
01-25-2020, 08:34 PM
Not telling me how delicious Suntory Toki whiskey is. Who will it be then?

Clusterfrack
01-25-2020, 08:39 PM
It is tasty. A buddy of mine bid on and won Bernie Madoff’s liquor cabinet. Suntory was in it. Among some other stuff that I’ll really never be able to afford.

Grey
01-25-2020, 08:41 PM
Nothing beats Buffalo Trace in my opinion so far (for the cost).

"For a relaxing times, make it Suntory Time."

Borderland
01-25-2020, 09:13 PM
Evan Williams on payday. Then PBR for about 3 weeks. :)

SeriousStudent
01-25-2020, 09:34 PM

My bad. I always assumed you knew. :(

If you have a particular fondness for Japanese liquor, I do have a small selection of their interpretation on single malt Scotch. And by small, I mean a dozen or so bottles.

You coming down for Tac-Con? That's a hint, by the way.

Totem Polar
01-25-2020, 09:39 PM
It is tasty. A buddy of mine bid on and won Bernie Madoff’s liquor cabinet...

Waaaaitwaitwitaminnute here, back the truck the fuck up. You need to flesh this one out a little. What’s the scoop, and what else was in there?
:D

Clusterfrack
01-25-2020, 09:59 PM
Waaaaitwaitwitaminnute here, back the truck the fuck up. You need to flesh this one out a little. What’s the scoop, and what else was in there?
:D

This was about 10 years ago, so the details may be sketchy. Especially since there was quite a bit of alcohol involved. My buddy is a Silicon Valley founder, so he had some cash to throw around. He bid on two Sotheby’s lots of Madoffs liquor collection. He didn’t expect to get even one, but ended up winning both. $6k total, I think. It showed up in crates, with evidence tags still on some of the bottles. There was... everything. Macallan, Ardbeg, Balvenie, Talisker, and a lot more including Suntory. All old top shelf 25 yr plus. Also bourbon. Bookers, Pappy VW, etc. Unbelievable. We toasted Bernie Madoffs ill health, and got smashed on the best whiskey I’ll ever drink. It’s great to have generous friends.

Totem Polar
01-25-2020, 10:06 PM
This was about 10 years ago, so the details may be sketchy. Especially since there was quite a bit of alcohol involved. My buddy is a Silicon Valley founder, so he had some cash to throw around. He bid on two Sotheby’s lots of Madoffs liquor collection. He didn’t expect to get even one, but ended up winning both. $6k total, I think. It showed up in crates, with evidence tags still on some of the bottles. There was... everything. Macallan, Ardbeg, Balvenie, Talisker, and a lot more including Suntory. All old top shelf 25 yr plus. Also bourbon. Bookers, Pappy VW, etc. Unbelievable. We toasted Bernie Madoffs ill health, and got smashed on the best whiskey I’ll ever drink. It’s great to have generous friends.

Damn, that’s a good story. :cool:

Bigghoss
01-25-2020, 10:39 PM
Fuckin' A right that's a good story.

I'm originally from east Oregon so everyone drinks Pendleton whiskey.

Totem Polar
01-25-2020, 10:56 PM
Fuckin' A right that's a good story.

I'm originally from east Oregon so everyone drinks Pendleton whiskey.

I have been known to do Pendleton rye in a Manhattan, as recently as this week.

Bigghoss
01-25-2020, 11:05 PM
I have been known to do Pendleton rye in a Manhattan, as recently as this week.

Bernie Madoff wouldn't drink it. But for those of us that blow our paychecks on guns and truck parts it's pretty damn good.

Totem Polar
01-25-2020, 11:11 PM
Bernie Madoff wouldn't drink it. But for those of us that blow our paychecks on guns and truck parts it's pretty damn good.

If either of us ever get to visit bernie, however unlikely, we should pinky swear right now to tell him that it tastes like "freedom." Freedom in Manhattan. I bet he’d get the joke.

Bigghoss
01-25-2020, 11:20 PM
If either of us ever get to visit bernie, however unlikely, we should pinky swear right now to tell him that it tastes like "freedom." Freedom in Manhattan. I bet he’d get the joke.

I should make up some bullshit about writing a book or something just so I can do this.

Baldanders
01-26-2020, 12:41 PM

Not me, I have never sampled it.

There is a reason why I mostly buy rum and it's called "I like underpriced booze."

If anyone would like to educate me however....

Poconnor
01-26-2020, 01:31 PM
I will have to try some. My go to blended whisky is famous grouse

Yung
01-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Good rum, like any other liquor, isn't always going to be inexpensive just because it's rum.

If you consistently enjoy cheap booze, you may as well carry on as you are. I'll never look down on a 2 liter of diet Sierra Mist and a ten-dollar bottle of Grande Amber.

If you are comfortable with the idea of possibly buying something pricey only to be disappointed regardless of what all your research and others' reviews say, you may find yourself in a similar place like the OP.

fly out
01-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Are you Pendleton drinkers drinking the 1910?

SeriousStudent
01-26-2020, 02:33 PM
I will have to try some. My go to blended whisky is famous grouse

Agreed.

When I want Scotch, it's almost always a good single malt with a tiny bit of water to open the nose.

But in the summertime, a glass of Famous Grouse on the rocks is indeed a guilty pleasure. And the handle jug is not very expensive at all.

theJanitor
01-26-2020, 04:38 PM
LL. There’s actually Suntory restaurant here. Incredible table side cooking and all the whisky variants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigghoss
01-26-2020, 05:07 PM
Are you Pendleton drinkers drinking the 1910?

Nope, just the regular stuff. I don't even think they had 1910 or any variants back when I drank that stuff much. Or at least I hadn't seen it.

Kanye Wyoming
01-26-2020, 05:29 PM
I have an unsophisticated whiskey palate. I can appreciate the really good stuff but probably can't differentiate between the really good stuff and the great stuff. With that caveat, about a year ago my son and I arrived early to dinner at a high end Japanese restaurant and had a drink at the bar. We asked the bartender to suggest a good Japanese whisky and Kurayoshi Malt Whisky 12 is what he gave us. Damn!

I made a mental note to buy a bottle, and like most of my mental notes it disappeared into the ether. This thread prompted to write it down and get 'er done this week.

LittleLebowski
01-26-2020, 06:15 PM
It is tasty. A buddy of mine bid on and won Bernie Madoff’s liquor cabinet. Suntory was in it. Among some other stuff that I’ll really never be able to afford.

Banned.

Clusterfrack
01-26-2020, 06:58 PM
Banned.

Dammit! Wait. Now I have free time.

Baldanders
01-28-2020, 12:16 AM
Good rum, like any other liquor, isn't always going to be inexpensive just because it's rum.

If you consistently enjoy cheap booze, you may as well carry on as you are.

There`s a reason I said "underpriced" not "cheap". Whiskey, and whisky, are extremely popular now. Rum has seen declining sales for a while now in the US. I find I can find more "bang for the buck" in rum. And many pricy rums are bland and heavily sugared.

But also, I could give a shit about anyone else's notion of the hierarchy of quality. Give me a bottle of Wray and Nephew overproof, some limes, and some tonic and I'm happy.

I depend on gifts for stuff like Ardbeg.

Baldanders
01-28-2020, 12:17 AM
Banned.

Yeah, fuck that guy.

Baldanders
01-28-2020, 12:25 AM
Agreed.

When I want Scotch, it's almost always a good single malt with a tiny bit of water to open the nose.

But in the summertime, a glass of Famous Grouse on the rocks is indeed a guilty pleasure. And the handle jug is not very expensive at all.

Monkey Shoulder ain't bad. About the only Scotch I'd call underpriced. 😉

Outlier
02-01-2020, 11:21 PM
Man, you guys have disappointed me for a second time. I don't know... maybe I got a bad bottle but this stuff is terrible.

SeriousStudent
02-01-2020, 11:59 PM
Out of pure idle curiosity, I am wondering if the OP has ever tried Hibiki?

Yung
02-02-2020, 12:27 AM
Out of pure idle curiosity, I am wondering if the OP has ever tried Hibiki?

Second that. The Hibiki and the Yamazaki were my jam when I was drinking whiskey more often.

SeriousStudent
02-02-2020, 01:29 AM
Yamazaki 12 is my favorite somewhat available Japanese whiskey.

orionz06
02-02-2020, 12:34 PM
If you think that's good, try it in a whiskey sour.

NEPAKevin
04-06-2020, 03:03 PM

As its basically a simple variation on a Leprechaun (Irish Whiskey and Tonic Water) I looked to see if there was something similar in Japanese Folklore to give this drink a name and discovered that Japanese folklore is kind of disturbing.

mtnbkr
04-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Japanese folklore is kind of disturbing.
Someone doesn't like tentacles. :rolleyes:

Chris

Totem Polar
04-06-2020, 03:28 PM
Someone doesn't like tentacles. :rolleyes:

Chris

Man, 20 yen is 20 yen.

Bigghoss
04-06-2020, 10:36 PM
Man, 20 yen is 20 yen.

I got 18 cents. Hell, I'm feeling generous, I'll give ya a whole quarter.

Totem Polar
04-06-2020, 11:06 PM
I got 18 cents. Hell, I'm feeling generous, I'll give ya a whole quarter.

First you show me the tentacles, then I get into the van. I’m not ‘tupid.

Yung
04-07-2020, 01:10 AM
--simple variation on a Leprechaun (Irish Whiskey and Tonic Water) I looked to see if there was something similar--

Did you see these yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanuki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maneki-neko

NEPAKevin
04-13-2020, 04:18 PM
Did you see these yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanuki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maneki-neko

Thank you. I knew of the fox one but had only seen the "good luck cat" in Chinese restaurants and did not know its meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHEbDYF9v4w

ReverendMeat
04-13-2020, 11:22 PM
Got some right now actually, it's a good blend and compares favorably to single malts at the same price point, but going forward I'll be spending the extra ten bucks or whatever for Hibiki which is one of my favorite Whiskies, blend or no.

jc000
04-14-2020, 11:28 AM
I haven’t figured out a good enough reason to crack this open yet.

littlejerry
04-14-2020, 02:09 PM
I can't keep track of the Japanese whiskey types. I typically just buy a $30-50 bottle when flying through Narita or Hong Kong and it usually tastes good.

Last time I was in Taipei I picked up a bottle of Kavalan which was fantastic. It was a bit more expensive but truly great. That and Suntory Chita have been the more memorable ones lately.

awp_101
05-03-2020, 09:21 AM
Smithsonian Channel has been running a series on the WWII in the Pacific recently. I don't remember if it was on Okinawa or Saipan, but there was footage of a cleanup going on and there was a Suntory crate visible. Just an interesting note I suppose...

5pins
05-03-2020, 09:38 AM
Evan Williams on payday. Then PBR for about 3 weeks. :)

Do you mean PBR Whisky? Aged five seconds you know.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/a26838477/pbr-whiskey-five-seconds-interview/

Borderland
05-03-2020, 09:45 AM

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/a26838477/pbr-whiskey-five-seconds-interview/

Nope. Never heard of it. That looks like it would go down real smooth. :rolleyes:

ReverendMeat
05-03-2020, 06:34 PM

I unironically want to try this.

5pins
05-03-2020, 07:10 PM
I unironically want to try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Xiw7V2TfQ&t=292s

Clay1
05-03-2020, 09:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Xiw7V2TfQ&t=292s

I use to watch those guys. Not sure if it's their sense of humor and my lack of it but I find their videos extremely frustrating. I avoid their stuff like the plague / Covid.

JM Campbell
03-26-2022, 06:23 PM
I picked up a bottle today. Paired it with a Patel Edge tonight and am enjoying it very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4RNR
03-27-2022, 07:55 AM
Since this was resurrected...... I had a short but deep dive into Japanese whiskey a couple years ago. There's a lot of good stuff but it's a very shady business. You'd be surprised at how much of it today is just re-bottled/rebranded Irish whiskey. Yamazaki 12 was great but not for the price it's going for today. 15 years ago I was buying it for $39.99 now it's in the $150 range here

Check out Indian and Taiwan whiskeys. Some good stuff. Amarut, Paul John and Kavalan should be available in most places

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RoyGBiv
03-27-2022, 08:14 AM
Since this was resurrected...... I had a short but deep dive into Japanese whiskey a couple years ago. There's a lot of good stuff but it's a very shady business. You'd be surprised at how much of it today is just re-bottled/rebranded Irish whiskey. Yamazaki 12 was great but not for the price it's going for today. 15 years ago I was buying it for $39.99 now it's in the $150 range here

Check out Indian and Taiwan whiskeys. Some good stuff. Amarut, Paul John and Kavalan should be available in most places

I'm not a big fan of Japanese whisky but really enjoy the Nikka Coffey MALT (not the grain).
Still haven't seen the PBR anywhere

4RNR
03-27-2022, 08:30 AM
I'm not a big fan of Japanese whisky but really enjoy the Nikka Coffey MALT (not the grain).
Still haven't seen the PBR anywhereI've had the Coffey but don't remember it. I did like the grain but like with Yamazaki, the explosion in popularity of Japanese whiskeys in the US market has caused it to go up considerably in price. I first tried it around 2015 and it was in the mid $50 price range. Within a year or two it was $20 more. I haven't looked lately but wouldn't be surprised if it is over $100.

I really have to start buying cases of stuff I like if for no other reason than investment. I can think of at least 4 different names that were inexpensive a decade ago and now are double or triple the price and hard to find.
Yamazaki 12, Col Taylor, Eagle Rare, Nikka malt, Laphroaig 18. All were available and relatively inexpensive just a decade ago

NEPAKevin
09-23-2022, 09:27 PM
I've had the Coffey but don't remember it. I did like the grain but like with Yamazaki, the explosion in popularity of Japanese whiskeys in the US market has caused it to go up considerably in price. I first tried it around 2015 and it was in the mid $50 price range. Within a year or two it was $20 more. I haven't looked lately but wouldn't be surprised if it is over $100.

I was killing time, while a backup is running, checking prices and availability and 12YO Yamazaki is $149.99/available and 18YO is $534.99/"coming soon"

and then there's this stuff... Yamazaki 55 (https://whisky.suntory.com/en/na/yamazaki-55)

4RNR
09-23-2022, 09:32 PM
I was killing time, while a backup is running, checking prices and availability and 12YO Yamazaki is $149.99/available and 18YO is $534.99/"coming soon"

and then there's this stuff... Yamazaki 55 (https://whisky.suntory.com/en/na/yamazaki-55)In 2008-10ish it was $40 here

JRB
09-23-2022, 10:18 PM
My first exposure to Suntory was at a classic base house party with some buddies of mine.

A few fellow NCO's decide to throw a Saturday night rager at a close buddy's place on base because his wife and two daughters were visiting grandma in Dallas for some specific 'girl time' get together and he had the place to himself.

We invite the whole crew. One of whom we'll call SGT G. SGT G is a blonde half-Hispanic no-bullshit hottie 9.0/10 bad chick. We love her because she uses her looks to get people to underestimate her all the time. She's also a Kenpo and Muay-Thai enthusiast and generally kicks ass as a Soldier. But she tends to date dudes that are, well, goobers.

Her goober de jour rolls in with her carrying a brown paper bag. In it is a 7/8ths full bottle of Suntory Yamazaki 18yr old. "My Dad brought it home from a business trip for me, it tastes weird" he said.

I was no-shit drunk when they showed up, but I knew well enough to make a bit of a scene when they started pouring that in shot glasses. I grab the bottle and it's freezing cold... goober kept it next to his Jager in the fridge. Ugh. Goober!
I shot a stink eye at SGT G and she gave me a look of 'well he's my date so deal with it or I'll kick your ass' so I just got some ice and the closest thing I could find to proper rocks glasses in an E6's house and we poured it proper.

It was simply delicious. Outstandingly smooth, smoky up front with caramel and creamy apple-berry-fruit notes in the finish.
My dearest friends simply didn't get it, so they either poured pepsi over it, or left them sitting around the house as they went back to their Rum & Coke or shots of Jameson.
So I played a drunken scavenger hunt all over that house looking for the abandoned glasses of Suntory and I made it my purpose in life to enjoy every one and not leave a drop.

And to the tune of about 2/3rds of that bottle, I drank every single glass that was poured and abandoned for so much less. Video exists of me dancing and singing to a Justin Timberlake song this same night and I blame that whisky.

The following morning was when my girlfriend-now-wife saw me absolutely demolished by a hangover. She cranked up the A/C, brought me applesauce and gatorade, and otherwise left me to figure it out between the bed and the bathroom until around 1500 when I could stomach some ramen. She didn't complain, she just smugly commented 'you enjoyed enough whiskey that I knew I'd have today to myself, so I planned accordingly' or something to that effect. I've avoided going that hard ever since, because it's only getting more and more difficult as I get older.

I remember looking up the bottle post-hangover and the cheapest I could find it was $650 or so. Discovering your girlfriend is marriage material by drinking ~$400 worth of some goober's fancy whisky is a lot better than the hangover that came with it, but I'm glad for it nonetheless.

So I'll always have a soft spot for Suntory, but I'll never drink that much in one night again.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-24-2022, 08:30 AM
I have a Japanese bottle that I've been hording. Now, you are tempting me to open it. During the week, as tomorrow is a match (if we don't get rained out). Need to able to find the dot.

littlejerry
09-24-2022, 01:49 PM
Pre pandemic I had pretty regular travel to Osaka for work(in addition to Hong Kong and Taipei). I made a point of bringing home my duty free limit every time I passed through Narita. The Coffey malt was exceptional and back in the day was only ~$30 a bottle in the airport.

Today my go-to is The Chita single grain. Get a bottle.