PDA

View Full Version : What model is this?

UNK
01-25-2020, 02:55 PM
I want to find two 6 shot snubbys +P 38. One with adjustable sights and one fixed. DAO with enclosed hammer on the fixed and would prefer the same on the adj sight model
What do I need to be on the lookout for. Model wise and generation wise.

Jim Watson
01-25-2020, 04:16 PM
That's a tough one.
The Smith 242 is a SEVEN shot L frame Ti-Lite Centennial.
A 66 with bobbed hammer is as close as I can come for adjustable sights.

A real Colt Cobra and a Diamondback with the ugly hammer shroud.

The Kimber revolver might do.

Wingate's Hairbrush
01-26-2020, 08:33 AM
Happy to be mistaken, but I'm virtually certain that among reputable revolver manufacturers you're not going to find a DAO enclosed hammer snubby with adjustable sights.

What's your intended use and how much wiggle room in desired set-up? Also, are you open to any maker, or only certain ones?

mmc45414
01-26-2020, 09:22 AM
I want to find two 6 shot snubbys +P 38. One with adjustable sights and one fixed. DAO with enclosed hammer on the fixed and would prefer the same on the adj sight model.
There is a racing adage that says "Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two" and I think this is that dilemma. You can get what you want in five shot, or bobbed hammer instead of enclosed. And some of them are not all that "snubby", and most of those options are 357, if that bothers you.
Ruger is showing this 2.5" GP as an exclusive right now, it looks kinda cool, but they aint small:

UNK
01-26-2020, 11:06 AM
Thx for replying. I really know very little about revolvers except what i read here. What has piqued my interest is the statements about how much better the triggers are on the larger revolvers. I have two j frames one aluminum and one scandium with the big dot. The triggers have been worked over by a S&W armorer. They are great to carry but not a lot of fun to shoot. They are just too small for my size hands but enclosed backstrap grips help.
I guess Ill have to wait for COLT or S&W to come out with what I am looking for. I think ideally an alloy frame in a Colt Night Cobra with a shroud would be perfect. Or maybe an alloy Smith 66 . Not sure about that Ill have to look for one of the steel frame models next week to check the size.
Ideally this revolver would have a front sight with options and rear blade options as Id really like to have the rear notch outlined in white and various notch sizes. But thats just because of my aging vision issues.
I bought but sold the model 60 but one the tritium was damn near invisible and i couldn't find any options and the rear notch was way too small and again no options.
I have started doing research on the older models but the only thing that bothers me about that is who am I going to send them to if I want to have something done to them.

mmc45414
01-26-2020, 11:34 AM
Ideally this revolver would have a front sight with options and rear blade options as Id really like to have the rear notch outlined in white and various notch sizes. But thats just because of my aging vision issues.
The C&S Fixed rear is back in stock:
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=ExtremeDuty

Hizzie
01-26-2020, 12:21 PM
The Kimber K6 comes closest to what you want.

UNK
01-26-2020, 05:18 PM
Im sure Ill see this first hand next week if I can find the samples, does anyone know how the cobra compares in frame size to a k frame? Im staring to gather from online reading the K frame is larger.
What is S&W frame that is comparable to the Cobra in size?

Zeke38
01-26-2020, 06:19 PM
You can find both at Kimber. The DAO and the DA/SA. 6 shot 25oz revolver in 357 that shoots 38+P with ease. Uses the D Frame Colt speedloader and carries like a J frame. Great trigger, rear adjustable sight and accurate at speed.

Wingate's Hairbrush
01-26-2020, 08:04 PM
You can find both at Kimber. The DAO and the DA/SA. 6 shot 25oz revolver in 357 that shoots 38+P with ease. Uses the D Frame Colt speedloader and carries like a J frame. Great trigger, rear adjustable sight and accurate at speed.Technically, Kimber doesn't offer an adjustable sight model in DAO or snubby configuration, but I agree the K6s line-up comes closest to OP's otherwise "doesn't exist" parameters.

OP, are you in the mood for serious coin dropped on gunsmithing, or are you cool with compromise and if so what's your hierarchy of requirements?

Bottom line thus far is Kimber does get you nearest.

LtDave
01-26-2020, 09:30 PM
You can find D frame Colt Detective Specials with a shroud and perhaps a 2.5” Diamondback for your adjustable sighted gun. They are getting pricey, especially the Diamondbacks. Not sure I’d mess around trying to convert the older Colts to DAO. You could also do a S&W Model 10 and a Model 15 in 2” versions, but neither will have an enclosed hammer. You could bob the hammers and make them DAO pretty easily. They would be my choice. A Ruger Speed Six and a Security Six with 2.75” barrels and spurless hammers?

UNK
01-27-2020, 11:44 PM
Technically, Kimber doesn't offer an adjustable sight model in DAO or snubby configuration, but I agree the K6s line-up comes closest to OP's otherwise "doesn't exist" parameters.

OP, are you in the mood for serious coin dropped on gunsmithing, or are you cool with compromise and if so what's your hierarchy of requirements?

Bottom line thus far is Kimber does get you nearest.
Im in the process of looking at older models and gunsmithing now. Im going to rule out the kimbers as I like to have options. Seems like its down to Smiths and Colts. Ill b hitting a lgs that specializes in older guns tomorrow.
AIWB holsters seem to be a problem however. My experience is I need a foam pad and something to push the grip in. That combo and for anything besides a j frame is elusive.

UNK
01-27-2020, 11:47 PM
You can find D frame Colt Detective Specials with a shroud and perhaps a 2.5” Diamondback for your adjustable sighted gun. They are getting pricey, especially the Diamondbacks. Not sure I’d mess around trying to convert the older Colts to DAO. You could also do a S&W Model 10 and a Model 15 in 2” versions, but neither will have an enclosed hammer. You could bob the hammers and make them DAO pretty easily. They would be my choice. A Ruger Speed Six and a Security Six with 2.75” barrels and spurless hammers?

Ive been looking at the colts and S&W online. It seems if you’re patient and dont want a collectors piece u can get something pretty reasonably priced.

mmc45414
01-28-2020, 07:23 AM
AIWB holsters seem to be a problem however. … That combo and for anything besides a j frame is elusive.
Smith K & L are in the AIWB list at JMCK.

UNK
01-29-2020, 10:57 AM
I had the opportunity to handle a model 12 snubby and the original Colt Cobra. Its a shame S&W didnt make a model of the same size as the Cobra. It seemed perfect to me. Im going to have to give this some more thought. Reading the comments here about the difficulty of working on a Cobra didnt give me a full understanding of how difficult they are to service which I now have. I think I need to find a model 12 with the rounded butt combat grips to handle if not shoot.
Thanks for all the input.

deputyG23
01-29-2020, 11:01 AM
I had the opportunity to handle a model 12 snubby and the original Colt Cobra. Its a shame S&W didnt make a model of the same size as the Cobra. It seemed perfect to me. Im going to have to give this some more thought. Reading the comments here about the difficulty of working on a Cobra didnt give me a full understanding of how difficult they are to service which I now have. I think I need to find a model 12 with the rounded butt combat grips to handle if not shoot.
Thanks for all the input.

Smith made a Model 73 “C” frame six shot .38 that was intended to compete with the Colt D frame in the early ‘70s. Less than twenty exist of the 5000 produced.
It was essentially a J frame with a K cylinder fitted to it.
It was deemed to be unsafe and all but a few were destroyed.

UNK
01-29-2020, 11:15 AM
Smith made a couple of prototypes of a “C” frame six shot .38 that was intended to compete with the Colt D frame in the early ‘70s.

That would be perfect. I wonder how the 2017 Colt Cobra is doing sales wise. I am tempted to go look at the Rock Island .38 considering some reviews I have read.

HeavyDuty
01-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Am I nuts, or do I remember 3” J frames back in the 90s with lugged barrels and a choice between fixed and adjustable sights? Only five shots, but it’s close.

Personally, I think it’s a mistake for you to not consider the Kimber. I have a 3” DA, and the fixed sights are very nice.

penates
01-29-2020, 03:05 PM
Am I nuts, or do I remember 3” J frames back in the 90s with lugged barrels and a choice between fixed and adjustable sights?

In the 90's Smith and Wesson made limited runs of the 36 and 60 with 3 inch barrels and adjustable sights. I think the runs were between 500 and 1500 pieces.

Wingate's Hairbrush
01-29-2020, 04:36 PM
In the 90's Smith and Wesson made limited runs of the 36 and 60 with 3 inch barrels and adjustable sights. I think the runs were between 500 and 1500 pieces.Correct; but the "Target" Model 60 remains in production, in standard and Pro Series varieties; J-frame, .357 rated, 3" lugged barrel, adjustable sights.

UNK
01-29-2020, 10:22 PM
Am I nuts, or do I remember 3” J frames back in the 90s with lugged barrels and a choice between fixed and adjustable sights? Only five shots, but it’s close.

Personally, I think it’s a mistake for you to not consider the Kimber. I have a 3” DA, and the fixed sights are very nice.

Ok thanks I will if I can find one.

UNK
01-30-2020, 03:07 PM
The Kimber K6 comes closest to what you want.

Thanks guys. You were correct. Handled two today. 2”&3” If I can find a holster with foam pad and tuck and an enclosed backstrap grip this will most likely be the one.

HeavyDuty
01-30-2020, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys. You were correct. Handled two today. 2”&3” If I can find a holster with foam pad and tuck and an enclosed backstrap grip this will most likely be the one.

We talked about these grips recently:

https://store.kimberamerica.com/k6s-control-core-grips

UNK
01-30-2020, 04:27 PM
We talked about these grips recently:

https://store.kimberamerica.com/k6s-control-core-grips

Just talked with Kimber. They said they sell out of those grips as soon as they get them in and they should be back in stock within two to three weeks.

There is a model not on their website CC concealed carry it has a blasted finish, non tritium sights and the core grip. The 3” is at Buds for 650 and weirdly enough the two inch is 799.

OlongJohnson
01-30-2020, 04:50 PM
That Bud's price is $100 less than any on gun.deals. Occasionally, Bud's totally drops its shorts on an item to move some volume. This appears to be one of those times.

UNK
01-30-2020, 05:14 PM
That Bud's price is $100 less than any on gun.deals. Occasionally, Bud's totally drops its shorts on an item to move some volume. This appears to be one of those times.

I asked the guy at the counter about that. He said they update prices every 20 min. So even if they have it at another location and the distributor has it cheaper you get the distributor price. What doesnt make sense to me is that the 2”
Was 150 more than the three inch. Im guessing but dont know the two inch with the core grip is in higher demand so a distributor is gouging.
Or you could be correct and they just want to move them. Kimber said they had zero inventory on the 3” but had inventory on the 2”
You would think a non tritium gun would have a lower price and the 650 made sense.
Unfortunately they don't have any in the rental counter so I didn't get a chance to shoot one.