PDA

View Full Version : Unity Tactical Atom 2

js475
01-25-2020, 10:26 AM
Looking through SHOT Show stuff and this really caught my eye.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7lpKoKhV6Z/

Open license and cross-platform compatibility with the same plates is a really good idea. I was thinking about sending off another slide for an optic cut, but now I'm considering waiting for this instead. Did anyone here who attended SHOT get a first hand look at this system? Any info on release dates or which companies will be offering slide cuts?

I'm also wondering if this will work with the G43/43X/48. From pictures it looks like all that's needed will be a single set screw in the back plus whatever keymod looking thing is in the middle. It doesn't seem to be limited by slide width. The Holosun 507k looks promising, but with slimline pistol RDS's being such a new thing, I feel hesitant to get something milled for the RMSc/507k footprint only for something better to come out in the next year or two using a different footprint.

Erick Gelhaus
01-26-2020, 10:56 AM
Yup, saw it & like it. There's bias on my part as I have been happy with the version 1 Atom mount - with the exception that they never went commercial the beta-tested M&P version. DocGKR has multiple slides done that way. I've been waiting for either Agency or Unity to release their systems for the M&P.

I talked with one of the Unity staff at TNVC's booth. It'll be an open license on the dimensions, spec'd for the slide machining - cuts, milling. Once Unity sees (a) completed slide(s), not sure how many, and they meet the standard, Unity will approve them as a vendor. The plates will be sold by Unity; I didn't ask about potential re-sellers, retailers. Boresight Solutions was the one named company, by the Unity rep, as already being on-board. I queried Ben but I haven't heard back about when & how much. Somewhere, I can't recall where, I saw that Primary Machine is also in the mix.

Keymod isn't what comes to mind with the reference point in the middle, though it makes me think of an old door mechanism. The end cuts are done so that as the mount rotates in, the openings go from open to narrow. The set screw is the lock-up (if I'm phrasing that right).

The new Holosun offerings are kind of a pretty good argument for this - I think. Their enclosed emitter model will not work on the Acro footprint, their 507K needs front bosses but can't have rear bosses in the cut - which the Shield RMS is set for (per the Holosun rep in their booth). If optic companies are going to continue producing different footprints, then something like is needed because not everyone can afford to keep having slides cut differently.

I took a couple photos but that IG link had very similar ones.

Super77
01-26-2020, 01:43 PM
I was just ready to go for Agency Arms AOS universal plates. This looks really good too. I guess it will come down to who get the optic lower on a Glock.

bravo7
01-26-2020, 02:44 PM
So does this wipe out BUIS, or am I missing something?

YVK
01-26-2020, 02:59 PM
Based on photos, the BUIS is a part of the plate.

Tod-13
01-26-2020, 03:40 PM
Based on photos, the BUIS is a part of the plate.

Someone else explained it to me in a different thread. The plates are longer, to support the ACRO, so the rear sights go on the plate.

Erick Gelhaus
01-26-2020, 04:23 PM
So does this wipe out BUIS, or am I missing something?

Several of the pictures at that link have BUIS.

bravo7
01-26-2020, 04:45 PM
Several of the pictures at that link have BUIS.

Sorry, I just viewed the one pic. Thanks

Savage Hands
01-26-2020, 06:37 PM
So this or Agency?

Mirolynmonbro
01-26-2020, 09:10 PM
So this or Agency?

I'll pick this because primary Machine said it MIGHT work with the P07 🤞🏽

Erick Gelhaus
01-27-2020, 02:52 AM
So this or Agency?

For my M&Ps, this.

Just checked Agency's site, the AOS still isn't available for the M&P.

Savage Hands
01-27-2020, 03:03 PM
So this or Agency?

For a Glock 🙂

Thy.Will.Be.Done
01-27-2020, 03:51 PM
A definite step in the right direction, but I still wager we are nowhere near having 1913 rail type adoption levels as .MIL didn't birth this upon the world.

YVK
01-28-2020, 01:55 AM
For a Glock 🙂

To me the Agency appears to have some options and features that this new Unity doesn't.

backtrail540
01-28-2020, 08:22 AM
Thinking out loud - I wonder if this would be an easier and more cost effective way to mount a dot on a P30, if compatible. Obviously we don't know the price, but it seems like a less complicated machining process to my untrained eye. Maybe Mark Housel or other potentially privy members would have thoughts? Or maybe I'm way off base.

Mark Housel
01-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Congratulations Trent, this looks really cool.

This new design does seem to address some of the slide width and side profile complications around the original ATOM adapter design and should make it more flexible in that regard. It also appears to be a simpler machining problem to solve. Well for us that don't have 4+ axis CNC machines anyway. :rolleyes:

WRT to HK slides it might provide something depending on whether the 'key' feature milled into the slide doesn't interfere with, or can made to accommodate the firing pin block and roll pin holes that make the HK slides more difficult to install optics on.

Trent is a really clever guy so if there is a way I'm sure he will figure it out.

The integral rear sight as shown seems to be limited to a plain black sight since the fore/aft dimension looks too thin to take a Tritium vial. Of course that may well be in the works.

The same problems remain WRT optics that have different 'deck heights' since the rear sight height needs to vary to maintain a consistent engagement in the optic window (or even be visible in the case of the DP Pro). So front sight would need to be varied to accommodate the taller/shorter integral rear sight.
Also, the height relationships between rear and front sights vary wildly across slide models, calibers, etc. All variables that get taken into account in installing an optic on a slide.

Like any integral rear sight solution (e.g. Trijicon 1911 RMR adapter) on slides with out a windage adjustable (dovetail) front sight may not have much in the way of windage zero control. This is primarily Glock, CZ and Walther.

This presumes that a precise zero of the irons is even required.

These take nothing away from Trent's design and are just things that need to be solved for backup sights on optics equipped pistols.

backtrail540
01-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Congratulations Trent, this looks really cool.

This new design does seem to address some of the slide width and side profile complications around the original ATOM adapter design and should make it more flexible in that regard. It also appears to be a simpler machining problem to solve. Well for us that don't have 4+ axis CNC machines anyway. :rolleyes:

WRT to HK slides it might provide something depending on whether the 'key' feature milled into the slide doesn't interfere with, or can made to accommodate the firing pin block and roll pin holes that make the HK slides more difficult to install optics on.

Trent is a really clever guy so if there is a way I'm sure he will figure it out.

The integral rear sight as shown seems to be limited to a plain black sight since the fore/aft dimension looks too thin to take a Tritium vial. Of course that may well be in the works.

The same problems remain WRT optics that have different 'deck heights' since the rear sight height needs to vary to maintain a consistent engagement in the optic window (or even be visible in the case of the DP Pro). So front sight would need to be varied to accommodate the taller/shorter integral rear sight.
Also, the height relationships between rear and front sights vary wildly across slide models, calibers, etc. All variables that get taken into account in installing an optic on a slide.

Like any integral rear sight solution (e.g. Trijicon 1911 RMR adapter) on slides with out a windage adjustable (dovetail) front sight may not have much in the way of windage zero control. This is primarily Glock, CZ and Walther.

This presumes that a precise zero of the irons is even required.

These take nothing away from Trent's design and are just things that need to be solved for backup sights on optics equipped pistols.

Thanks for the perspective Mark!

backtrail540
01-02-2021, 05:21 PM
https://www.boresightsolutions.com/product/duty-series-glock-model-21-gen-4-45-acp-pistol/

First gun i've seen in the wild that was milled for this cut. Hopefully that changes and we see some shops offering it up. It's been long enough I had written it off as not coming to market.

Inkwell 41
02-19-2021, 05:28 PM
https://www.boresightsolutions.com/product/duty-series-glock-model-21-gen-4-45-acp-pistol/

First gun i've seen in the wild that was milled for this cut. Hopefully that changes and we see some shops offering it up. It's been long enough I had written it off as not coming to market.

I’ve been waiting for this to come to market. As a slow learner, last year I finally came to the conclusion that an RDS on my carry gun makes sense for my aging eyes. Took shooting my sons G34.5 with a dot to get there. The kid is smarter than his old man. With MOS Glocks being ridiculously overpriced due to the current state of affairs, I has hoping to go the ATOM 2.0 route on my G19.3. Failing the ATOM 2.0, is the AOS viable or should I just get the slide milled for a direct mount? Is ATEI still THE choice for direct mill?

Thanks!