PDA

View Full Version : Press-Out and Vertical Movement

JV_
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
At the recent AFHS class in VA, ToddG mentioned that my weak thumb was moving a lot during my press-out. It turns out that I wasn't locking my wrist that last little bit, which was a new problem that developed after moving to the 226. With Glocks, I locked my wrist out and rested my thumb at the top of the trigger guard, under the rail. With the 226, that ledge area is much smaller, and I wasn't indexing it consistently.

Previously, I was getting a lot of vertical variation in my press-out's first shot, it's now fixed (or at least minimized). I spent a bit of time last night watching my sights, and changing around the wrist lock, and it looks like they're very much related.

I have no idea if that's something that's unique to me, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone has a similar issue.

I still have a problem of not focusing on my front sight, when I'm cold, but that's a discussion for another thread.

MEH
05-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Often a little suggestion or "hey I noticed" can bring light to something we might not otherwise notice. At the Tuesday's KSTG match it was noticed (thanks JV) that I was over rotating my support hand so much that my index and middle finger were pointing up. I've spent the last two nights re-learning my grip and press out. Gonna test it live this Friday at the range. I hoping it helps my first shot at low percentage targets, which I think has been degrading over the last month.

rsa-otc
05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
The importance of another person looking at you from off to the side can not be underestimated. Just little things here & there they notice that are unnoticed and fester when you train alone.