PDA

View Full Version : NRA ballots are out, any point in using it?

bofe954
01-24-2020, 12:44 PM
I'm a life member because a range I used to go to required membership...Anyone actually involved and have voting rec's that might improve the org?

Totem Polar
01-24-2020, 12:49 PM
I may have messed up. I cancelled my print subscription a while back, and I have grown so accustomed to throwing all their "urgent" and "win all these gunz" over-thick envelopes into the bulldog shredder while holding down the ‘extra power’ button... I may have disenfranchised myself.

Goddammit. I was so looking forward to writing in Taran Butler, too.

Borderland
01-24-2020, 01:38 PM
They won't let me vote yet. But yeah, I got it but I thru it in the recycle. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a check box for WLP's ouster.

I have to stop posting because I'm on my way to the range.:)

BN
01-24-2020, 01:50 PM
I got my magazine with the ballot and was wondering the same thing. 39 names on the ballot that were chosen by the NRA Nominating Committee. We vote for not more than 31. Biographies are in the February magazine.

Who is the least bad among them? :(

ranger
01-24-2020, 02:22 PM
I have same question - I would be interested into suggestions for who might have best chance of changing NRA from "inside".

andre3k
01-24-2020, 03:00 PM
I wonder what perks come with being a board member.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jim Watson
01-24-2020, 03:16 PM
Neal Knox used to recommend five or six and no more. Voting for just a few you really favor is supposed to give them a mathematical advantage.

41magfan
01-24-2020, 04:07 PM
I think it's safe to say the Board has collectively abrogated its oversight responsibilities and is nothing but a rubberstamp for WLP's corruption and cronyism. I intend to communicate that sentiment with my ballot which will be void of any votes for ANY of the nominees. The Board is clearly part of the problem and I will not vote for any of them until they prominently become part of the solution.

Borderland
01-25-2020, 10:17 AM
I wonder what perks come with being a board member.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

$979K for general consulting services.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-hammer-investigation-results-20190823-e7z2fup24fcb5mtffw45qnmvyi-story.html

blues
01-25-2020, 10:19 AM
I'll save the ballot just in case someone here can provide a compelling reason to vote for any of the candidates.

SAWBONES
01-25-2020, 11:51 AM
But yeah, I got it but I thru it in the recycle. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a check box for WLP's ouster.

I considered checking certain boxes, then thought better of it and tossed it out. AFAIC, it's all pretend until WLP is out and the organization becomes trustworthy again.

(No option for getting rid of WLP was provided, just a note ostensibly from him encouraging voting, and stressing how important protecting the 2A was, IIRC.)

blues
01-25-2020, 11:56 AM
I considered checking certain boxes, then thought better of it and tossed it out. AFAIC, it's all pretend until WLP is out and the organization becomes trustworthy again.

(No option for getting rid of WLP was provided, just a note ostensibly from him encouraging voting, and stressing how important protecting the 2A was, IIRC.)

At least Tam had an article on guns of many colors...

Sigh.

Wise_A
01-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Tamara articles in Shooting Illustrated are really the only reason I have for staying. That and the whopping $5 I save renewing my instructor certs. Although frankly, aside from CRSO, the only value of instructor certs is to build a client list for non-NRA classes. And most of the guys I know that work that shit are moronic sleazebags that suck at shooting (worse than I suck, I mean).

WLP needs to go. He's the worst of all WLPs. At least the other kind works good in .44 and .45. Dude's not even a Gun Guy, he's just a professional lobbyist. I'd rather see someone in that seat that was less effective, but 100% passionate about firearms.

I would also like to see Shurriff Jim Wilson get replaced. His "columns" are boring, middle-of-the-road, zero-thought, don't-piss-anyone-off lukewarm swill. To make matters worse, he said a bunch of shit on BookFace that, frankly, no writer for the journal of a national organization should be saying.

BN
02-21-2020, 09:31 PM
Any updates on this? I have 7 names I think I will vote for.

Totem Polar
02-21-2020, 09:50 PM
FWIW;

https://www.savethe2a.org/vote/

Totem Polar
02-22-2020, 10:08 PM
Done; mailed.

Time to wait and see how everyone else feels about things.

Borderland
02-22-2020, 10:31 PM
I noticed that the NRA affiliate at my range finally responded to my interest in an NRA sponsored RSO class. Only took him 3 years to take his affiliate status seriously. I actually talked to him at a meeting and he gave me his card but he never answered my emails or my phone calls. After I thought about where the money goes for the class ( to the NRA ) I just decided to donate it to the club. At least I get to vote for the e board officers. NRA can keep their "the sky is falling" org and their million dollar executive salaries. They don't need my 50 bucks.

Willard
02-23-2020, 12:17 AM
I'd asked to not receive their magazine for years on a benfactor membership to help them save money.

Last time they contacted me for money I asked them to just delete me as a member. Will find a less corrupt organization to support.

BN
03-17-2020, 07:42 PM
I marked my ballot and it is ready to mail. I voted for 6 people.

blues
03-17-2020, 07:48 PM
I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago and used suggestions offered here as well as on the S&W forum to find some candidates worth supporting.

Totem Polar
03-17-2020, 10:26 PM
It turns out that I did NOT shred mine; it came a couple of weeks ago, and I voted for 6 people, per the save the second crew, because at least those guys are raising a big stink. They may turn out to be the Trumps of the NRA, and that works for me, for now.

Wish I could have just voted for Julie 6 times and called it good, but that ship has sailed.

Seven_Sicks_Two
03-18-2020, 04:17 PM
Goddammit. I was so looking forward to writing in Taran Butler, too.

Make the NRA Precious Again?