PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning with Simple Green?

KentF
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
In reviewing my AGI DVDs for the Browning Hi-Power and HK USP pistols I noticed that the gunsmith, Robert Dunlap, uses Simple Green to clean the firearms. I've been looking for a less toxic "solvent" and I'm wondering if anyone here uses Simple Green.

JDM
03-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Simple green and hot water on the frame. Mpro 7 on the upper.

Automatic transmission fluid and TW25 to make it slippery.

(the above applies to plastic guns obviously.)

John Ralston
03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Keep it away from Aluminum...not good

SecondsCount
03-14-2011, 10:18 PM
MPro7 is the non-toxic cleaner that I use. Simple Green will attack certain plastics if you are not careful.

JM Campbell
03-14-2011, 10:24 PM
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/09-00809.php

I have used this for another hobby for some time that involves a lot of alum/alloys and have never had any issues. It also Meets Boeing D6-17487 Revision P

Link to Boeing spec and test of another product to show what they test for...
( http://www.ecolink.com/sectors/support_pdfs/ecolink-3005SMI_boeing.pdf )

Simple Green product info http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

Kyle Reese
03-15-2011, 03:04 AM
I used to use Simple Green when cleaning up Russian Capture K98's back in the day, or the odd Yugo SKS. Works great in conjunction with scalding hot water to remove cosmoline.

For cleaning handguns, I, like others, use M-Pro 7 as a non toxic cleaner and lube with Enos Slide Glide Lite.

JM Campbell
03-15-2011, 07:59 AM
I've been using Enos Slide Glide with great results also, stays where I put it and wipes/cleans off with no problems. Going to pick up some Militec1 to see how it is and continue with which ever one I like best.

JV_
03-15-2011, 08:03 AM
stays where I put itThat's exactly why I moved to it. I use the lite version, it's been going well so far.

Kyle Reese
03-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks for turning me onto that stuff.

That's exactly why I moved to it. I use the lite version, it's been going well so far.

KentF
03-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the comments. I'll check out the M-Pro 7 and the Enos Slide Glide.

John Ralston
03-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Slide Glide Lite is THE stuff - put that on the slide rails and many other places you would typically oil, and it will be there until you clean the next time.

mnealtx
03-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Slide Glide Lite is THE stuff - put that on the slide rails and many other places you would typically oil, and it will be there until you clean the next time.

How is it different from a light grease like the Wilson offering?

John Ralston
03-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Really not sure, but it works very well by all accounts. There are so many lubes, oils and greases out there it is mind boggling. If you have something that works, stick with it. If you are getting failures from ineffective lube, then give it a try.

mnealtx
03-15-2011, 12:51 PM
I appreciate the info, thanks.

Odin Bravo One
03-15-2011, 03:24 PM
I use Simple Green and water to clean everything. Plastic guns, steel guns, aluminum guns, alloy guns. Then again, I don't spend much time cleaning either. I really only clean a gun when it needs it. But it does make for a much more pleasant experience than most of the solvents, is easy to dispose of, and doesn't eat the skin off my hands. And it is cheap.

LittleLebowski
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Recommend diluting Simple Green with aluminum. I've seen it turn an AR purple.

I prefer a can of non chlorinated brake cleaner. Cheap, fast, and easy. Just do it outdoors.

I also do not clean much.

johnemckenzie
03-17-2011, 10:11 AM
I've experienced good results from Mil-Comm MC25. It is non-toxic, non-flammable, biodegradable, and water-based with no harmful solvents. After cleaning with MC25, I rinse with 91% isopropyl alcohol ($0.99 at the drug store).

Perhaps, rinsing Simple Green off with the higher concentration alcohol will prevent the negative effects experienced by some users. I submerge the various parts of the firearms in MC25 and scrub with a toothbrush. The following submergence in 91% isopropyl alcohol removes all the residual MC25 from all the crevices and preps the part for Mil-Comm's TW25B grease or MC2500. It has worked well with my stuff so far.

I'm unsure if the high-concentration alcohol will help with Simple Green, but you can give it a shot.

orionz06
03-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Pretty sure the alcohol will be almost as effective as other cleaners to begin with. I have some of the MC25 that I have not used yet, might give it a shot.

SkyRock
03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Spray with 50% solution of Simple Green and water, brush, rinse in hot water, dry under a fan, lubricate per manual and reassemble. Barrel bore gets an additional solvent cleaning.

Been doing this for years with all my Glocks, but only once with a Commander. :(

EVP
03-26-2011, 11:51 PM
I would just get M-pro 7. It is made to be safe for polymer pistols and is non-toxic and really does not have any strong odor. Then lube with the product that you desire.