PDA

View Full Version : Whoops... I bought a Glock 37

raks
05-03-2012, 12:37 AM
"I read about these things on the Internet but I never dreamed it would happen to me"

I never thought I'd buy a Glock, always hated the way they 'pointed' etc... But my brothers 21SF always shot well for me and seemed like a nice piece... So the other day a friend at a local sports store calls, he's found a consignment gun in the back of the safe that they have to get rid of... at an almost crazy low price.

Its an immaculate, unfired G37 and it was the best deal I've had yet on a gun. As excited as I am about .45 GAP (somewhat) ammo is hard to come by in this region, but tonight I met a guy at my range tonight who had a G17 and a .22 conversion for it. Both slides fit the G37 frame and cycled by hand. I didn't want to press my luck with live fire, but does anyone here have experience converting a G37 with a G17 (or G22) slide & barrel??

Any issues I should know about? It really seems as though the frames are 100% identical.

WDW
05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
If you want to convert it, whydya buy it? Also, G17 slides ain't exactly lying around. Also, 99% sure you can't interchange them. Every source for Glock parts I've ever seen has the 37 listed separate from thev17/22. They look similare but are dimensionally different.

JHC
05-03-2012, 04:50 PM
"I read about these things on the Internet but I never dreamed it would happen to me"

I never thought I'd buy a Glock, always hated the way they 'pointed' etc... But my brothers 21SF always shot well for me and seemed like a nice piece... So the other day a friend at a local sports store calls, he's found a consignment gun in the back of the safe that they have to get rid of... at an almost crazy low price.

Its an immaculate, unfired G37 and it was the best deal I've had yet on a gun. As excited as I am about .45 GAP (somewhat) ammo is hard to come by in this region, but tonight I met a guy at my range tonight who had a G17 and a .22 conversion for it. Both slides fit the G37 frame and cycled by hand. I didn't want to press my luck with live fire, but does anyone here have experience converting a G37 with a G17 (or G22) slide & barrel??

Any issues I should know about? It really seems as though the frames are 100% identical.

A little oddball caliber but it's got it's cult following in certain places. Principally on GlockTalk which the rest of the internet loves to hate because it's got a LOT of foolishness but there's also a lot of experience and knowledge about the guns in there too. Somebody there has done it if it can be done or will know how bad it'll be if it shan't be done.

JHC
05-03-2012, 04:57 PM
It's not looking good.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419207

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399550

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386098

Up1911Fan
05-03-2012, 06:30 PM
The GAP slides are a little wider than the 9/40's. I put a Glock 38 top end on a Gen3 G19 frame, using the correct THB/ejector. The only difference between a G17 frame and a G37 frame are the trigger bar (G37 is where the gen4 bump started) and the ejector.

Kyle Reese
05-03-2012, 09:18 PM
I used to own a Glock 37 right after they were introduced. I think I sold it within 3 weeks of purchase. I'd just sell it if I were you.

jlw
05-03-2012, 10:26 PM
The frames are the same size, but the slide rails are different to accomodate the wider slide of the GAP.

I enjoy shooting the GAP and often carry either a G37 or a G38.

raks
05-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Awesome, thanks for the thoughtful replies. I have not dared venture onto G****talk

The G17 slide I tired (3rd gen with scallops) fit perfectly and the Advantage Arms G17 .22 kit functioned 100% (albeit I only shot 1 mag) so I was hoping the conversion could be done. I'll have to look closer at the frames next time and see if there really is a difference.

If anyone else has more info I'd love to hear from you.

vcdgrips
05-03-2012, 11:25 PM
I would be meticulous about saving brass and I would buy a Dillion reloader (SDB or 650.)

Nephrology
05-04-2012, 07:39 AM
You can only really shoot .45 GAP successfully if you are going to reload. Otherwise I would get rid of it and buy one of the more traditional caliber (9mm/.40/.45) glocks.

jlw
05-04-2012, 07:45 AM
I have never had an issue finding GAP ammo. In fact, I have been able to find it when I couldn't get other calibers. It runs the same as ACP ammo.

JDM
05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I have never had an issue finding GAP ammo. In fact, I have been able to find it when I couldn't get other calibers. It runs the same as ACP ammo.

The GSP uses G37s don't they? That may have something to do with the popularity/availability of that round around there.

jlw
05-04-2012, 12:55 PM
The GSP uses G37s don't they? That may have something to do with the popularity/availability of that round around there.

The GSP does use it, and I have gotten ammo from the same source they use.

JonInWA
05-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't think that the G37 is a bad pistol per se, but in a sense I think that it's been rendered somewhat obselete by the Gen4 G21 with it's revised/revisable rear backstrap profile. In one sense, it's somewhat analogous to buying a HK USP 45 instead of an HK45-the USP is still a very, very good gun, but the HK45 has some superior features (and ergos) for not too much more of a buy-in price.

When I was deciding on a .45 Glock, I was pretty open minded between the G37 and the G21. After firing both, both administratively and in competition, I went with a Gen 3 G21, as I felt the G21 in .45 ACP had a less punishing recoil with less muzzle flip.

However, there are greater selections of .45 GAP cartridges/bullet weights/configurations. While the .45 GAP is a bit more expensive that comparable .45 ACP, it's not that much of a stretch. If you like the G37's ergos and characteristics, spend some time and training on it, and I don't think you'll regret it.

Best, Jon

JHC
05-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Somebody around here has some interesting experience putting a .40 barrel in the G37 upper. Apparently a very impressive performing package. Maybe what the original G22 should have been - goes the argument.

jlw
05-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't think that the G37 is a bad pistol per se, but in a sense I think that it's been rendered somewhat obselete by the Gen4 G21 with it's revised/revisable rear backstrap profile. In one sense, it's somewhat analogous to buying a HK USP 45 instead of an HK45-the USP is still a very, very good gun, but the HK45 has some superior features (and ergos) for not too much more of a buy-in price.

When I was deciding on a .45 Glock, I was pretty open minded between the G37 and the G21. After firing both, both administratively and in competition, I went with a Gen 3 G21, as I felt the G21 in .45 ACP had a less punishing recoil with less muzzle flip.

However, there are greater selections of .45 GAP cartridges/bullet weights/configurations. While the .45 GAP is a bit more expensive that comparable .45 ACP, it's not that much of a stretch. If you like the G37's ergos and characteristics, spend some time and training on it, and I don't think you'll regret it.

Best, Jon

The 21 in any of the factory varieties is too big for my hands.

steve
05-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I had one and liked it. I would still have it if the ammunition wasn't such a pain to find. If the Clinton gun ban was still nationwide and capacity was limited to 10 rounds I think it would have been a home run. Glock was about 4 years to late getting this calibre to market.

JonInWA
05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
The 21 in any of the factory varieties is too big for my hands.

My hands certainly DISPLACE differently on the large frame G21, compared to the standard frame G17 (or, in this case, the G37). However, I find that I actually index and achieve operationally control quite effectively with a G21-and mine is "the largest of the large"-a Gen 3 non-SF G21.

I have no trouble whatsoever in trigger finger positioning, index, sight acquisition, and handling of the gun. To me, a gun achieves a "too big" status when I have difficutly in achieving a natural index and trigger finger positioning/operation, or if I have to go through interesting unnatural gyrations to reach any of the other controls; that's simply not the case for me with my G21.

Is the gun large?-Sure, particularly compared to a G17/G37 or G19. But that said, I've had no trouble in carrying it concealed with the right holster (usually a Blade-Tech IWB), belt, and judicious clothing selection (and trust me, I do not need to wear a XXXL sweatshirt to achieve successful concealment for carry).

I'm not trying to steer you away from a G37. But the supposed size difficulties others have attributed to the G21 are a non-issue for me, and I suspect many others.

Best, Jon

Steve S.
05-10-2012, 05:34 PM
One of my guys wears a G21 and a spare mag everyday. He's about 5'11" and like 160 lbs. He wears a size 30" jeans and carries OWB. With some sort of button up, it's been no problem concealing it. He has other smaller guns too, just prefers his Gen3 21 (non SF).

The grip is a tad big for my tastes, but I have no problems shooting it. It's actually an incredibly accurate pistol. I find it more accurate then the 9mm Glocks - but I notice .45 versions of most pistols tend to be the most accurate.

After he read more on ballistics, he's strongly considering making a G19 his EDC though.

My hands certainly DISPLACE differently on the large frame G21, compared to the standard frame G17 (or, in this case, the G37). However, I find that I actually index and achieve operationally control quite effectively with a G21-and mine is "the largest of the large"-a Gen 3 non-SF G21.

I have no trouble whatsoever in trigger finger positioning, index, sight acquisition, and handling of the gun. To me, a gun achieves a "too big" status when I have difficutly in achieving a natural index and trigger finger positioning/operation, or if I have to go through interesting unnatural gyrations to reach any of the other controls; that's simply not the case for me with my G21.

Is the gun large?-Sure, particularly compared to a G17/G37 or G19. But that said, I've had no trouble in carrying it concealed with the right holster (usually a Blade-Tech IWB), belt, and judicious clothing selection (and trust me, I do not need to wear a XXXL sweatshirt to achieve successful concealment for carry).

I'm not trying to steer you away from a G37. But the supposed size difficulties others have attributed to the G21 are a non-issue for me, and I suspect many others.

Best, Jon

jlw
05-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Best, Jon

I'm glad it works for you. It doesn't work for me. I can shoot a 30, but not the 21 as it comes from the factory. I could sent one off for a grip mutilation, but that's not my cup of tea.