PDA

View Full Version : Taurus, Really?

Jim Watson
01-20-2020, 09:50 AM
Taurus is showing the Defender 856 family of three inch round butt sixshooters. New at SHOT? New to me, anyhow.
https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/taurus-defender-856/

Now I know we are generally disdainful of Taurus firearms, so just think of this as something to work on your carry and draw with while you wait for your custom gunsmith to get around to sawing off that police tradein M64 fore and aft.

Note that there is a lightweight model at 16 ounces; shades of the M13 Aircrewman.

RevolverRob
01-20-2020, 10:03 AM
“Night Sight with Bright Orange Outline”

Bad day for Smith and Wesson when Taurus is a full step ahead of you.

Interesting guns.

Taurus opened a new Georgia-based factory last month too - https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/09/taurus-to-hold-grand-opening-of-new-georgia-facility/

Perhaps we will soon see a turn in quality from them? We can only hope.

Duelist
01-20-2020, 10:23 AM
If the triggers don’t suck, and they are assembled correctly? Hmm.

Bigghoss
01-20-2020, 10:23 AM
Only things it needs is a decent rear sight and to not be made by Taurus.

Dave T
01-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Six-shot, three inch, round butt, shrouded ejector, and a decent front sight from the factory. They call it a "small frame" so I'd guess something like the D-frame Colt size. Oh, and they offer various finishes and a light weight version.

If the quality is decent Taurus just kicked the (expletive deleted) out of S&W, Ruger, and Colt.

Dave

Greg
01-20-2020, 12:14 PM
You go first.

Stephanie B
01-20-2020, 12:21 PM
“Night Sight with Bright Orange Outline”

Bad day for Smith and Wesson when Taurus is a full step ahead of you.

Interesting guns.

Taurus opened a new Georgia-based factory last month too - https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/09/taurus-to-hold-grand-opening-of-new-georgia-facility/

Perhaps we will soon see a turn in quality from them? We can only hope.

Maybe, but in their minds:

Taurus®, manufacturer of premium handguns

Are they doing standup, now?

Having snarked that, if S&W has to have an IL, I wish they'd drop their crappy design and license the one Taurus uses. It's a lot less offensive to the eye.

Baldanders
01-20-2020, 12:35 PM
It's not like Taurus has never put out a decent gun--my mid-80s PT92 is very much a M92 with a rougher trigger, but otherwise a solid gun.

How is the QC on the Taurus 85? They sell shit tons of them. Do they get shot enough for any general statements on QC?

The main problems I hear about with Taurus wheelguns are: 1)don't work out of the box, and more often, 2) the lockwork has a pretty short lifespan compared to a Smith. The ones I have fondled in the past ten years or so seem to have way better finish than current Charter Arms guns. Given the choice between a Bulldog and a M85, I'd go M85.

That being said, $ is tight right now, and I really can't afford something that won't work. Anyone willing to try these? We will give you moral support! 😇

Baldanders
01-20-2020, 12:41 PM

Having snarked that, if S&W has to have an IL, I wish they'd drop their crappy design and license the one Taurus uses. It's a lot less offensive to the eye.

I'm not smart enough to include your quote, but keep in mind Budweiser is considered America's top selling premium beer, according to Google.

By that standard, I guess Tauri are "premium" handguns. I think that just means, "not an RG."

ETA: I drink some shitty domestic beer, but I will only drink "Bud" if it's free.

OlongJohnson
01-20-2020, 12:42 PM
I'm not smart enough to include your quote, but keep in mind Budweiser is considered America's top selling premium beer, according to Google.

Back in the day, I remember going out to a club in London. Any beer was a pound, except Budweiser was 3 pounds. So in reality, any beer was a pound.

With a $485 MSRP, I may have to try that lightweight at some point. It's not like I have any expectation of a new S&W actually working out of the box, and they aren't building any 315s.

Yeah, this will be an interesting boondoggle.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/725327933885

$290 shipped, how could I lose?

Hmmm... I wonder if someone at Taurus reads this forum and has seen all the people saying they want a 315?

Baldanders
01-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Back in the day, I remember going out to a club in London. Any beer was a pound, except Budweiser was 3 pounds. So in reality, any beer was a pound.

Nice one.

I have only been across the pond once, but I will never forget 4-packs of Bud, priced like boutique beer.

The power of marketing is a thing.

If Taurus is smart, they should keep working to improve QC until they can market their guns as "Smiths, but we take the metal shavings out of the lockwork first." I am not sure market forces will push them in that direction.

Stephanie B
01-20-2020, 01:08 PM
It's not like Taurus has never put out a decent gun--my mid-80s PT92 is very much a M92 with a rougher trigger, but otherwise a solid gun.

I had one, too. I agree with all that. (Sold it to a friend who had a rather urgent need of one.)

Baldanders
01-20-2020, 01:19 PM
I had one, too. I agree with all that. (Sold it to a friend who had a rather urgent need of one.)

I shoot my PT92 every bit as well as my px4, and just as well as my friend's gussied up P226. It needs new springs for the accompanying magazine collection something fierce, but they are pretty old too.

If I find another from the same era, I will snatch it up if it was in good shape. Perfect for that " my friend/family member needs a gun" sale or loan.

OlongJohnson
01-20-2020, 01:41 PM
Even our esteemed section moderator has endorsed the Taurus 431 as likely to work.

Shoresy
01-20-2020, 01:51 PM

I mean, at least this model HAS sights.

Half Moon
01-20-2020, 02:33 PM
Six-shot, three inch, round butt, shrouded ejector, and a decent front sight from the factory. They call it a "small frame" so I'd guess something like the D-frame Colt size. Oh, and they offer various finishes and a light weight version.

If the quality is decent Taurus just kicked the (expletive deleted) out of S&W, Ruger, and Colt.

Dave

Not just Taurus either. Saw one of these at a gun show yesterday:

https://charterfirearms.com/products/model-63270?_pos=6&_sid=8d66eb4b5&_ss=r

3", 7 shot, .32 H&R, with fiber optic front sight! According to the dealer a fairly new model in their catalog. Charter Arms though... Hopefully the second tier manufacturers can put some pressure on the big boys with these designs. Well that, or if the tier two's can up their quality...

RevolverRob
01-20-2020, 03:04 PM
$290 shipped, how could I lose?

Honestly? Not that much. And someone has to fall on the grenade.

Bigghoss
01-20-2020, 03:18 PM
I mean, at least this model HAS sights.

I mean, it's 2020. Why do we not put good, replaceable, sights on revolvers?

SCCY Marshal
01-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Honestly? Not that much. And someone has to fall on the grenade.

I'm this . close to selling my retired Glock 42 to try one of these things. May God have mercy on my soul. How well do Taurus revolvers generally take to a hammer bob?

Edit for question.

HeavyDuty
01-20-2020, 04:33 PM
I'm this . close to selling my retired Glock 42 to try one of these things. May God have mercy on my soul. How well do Taurus revolvers generally take to a hammer bob?

Edit for question.

Supplement, not replace.

HeavyDuty
01-20-2020, 04:36 PM
The alloy one is very tempting, but what was driving me to pick up inexpensive defensive revolvers was the worsening political climate here in IL. With me now moving to NH where I believe I can carry a RPG if desired, it’s less urgent. It’s still appealing, though.

OlongJohnson
01-20-2020, 04:56 PM
How well do Taurus revolvers generally take to a hammer bob?

They sell them that way from the factory. Might be able to just buy the part if you call them up and ask nicely. Another thing S&W is stupid for not making available.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/856ch/

Also, the 85 boot grips should fit.

TicTacticalTimmy
01-20-2020, 05:02 PM
I only have limited hands on experience with Taurus products, and the few I have fired actually did quite well. However, I just have a problem giving my money to, or trusting my safety with, a company that has produced products like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

Not only did Taurus sell these defective firearms to Braziliam police and American civilians, but they continued to sell them in the US for several years after this issue was discovered. Who knows how many injuries and even deaths this led to?

Most likely the gun you purchase from them will be fine. However, I feel like buying them is rolling the dice on when their next batch of dangerous QC issues will crop up.

Having said all that, the weight and form factor of this revolver looks great. The sights sound ideal, and the price is very affordable... unless it sucks and you end up selling it at a loss.

SCCY Marshal
01-20-2020, 05:18 PM
Supplement, not replace.

Eh, the 42 is off carry duty and never gets used. It's just taking up space for other people to try out, possible loaner, and should probably just go to a home that'll use it.

You read my mind.

OlongJohnson
01-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Haven't watched this video yet. But he's sometimes worth the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94XBb34eFQs

Hmmm... I think that means my modified Sile grips will likely fit, too. Just need to drill new cross pin holes. And I have several extras that I can modify in the grip box...

OlongJohnson
01-20-2020, 07:22 PM
This isn't much of a test, but it's at least a credible revolver site.

https://revolverguy.com/field-report-taurus-856/

jandbj
01-20-2020, 11:31 PM
Cautiously interested. I really wanna try those newest grips on a J frame.

Lester Polfus
01-20-2020, 11:33 PM
I only have limited hands on experience with Taurus products, and the few I have fired actually did quite well. However, I just have a problem giving my money to, or trusting my safety with, a company that has produced products like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

Not only did Taurus sell these defective firearms to Braziliam police and American civilians, but they continued to sell them in the US for several years after this issue was discovered. Who knows how many injuries and even deaths this led to?

Most likely the gun you purchase from them will be fine. However, I feel like buying them is rolling the dice on when their next batch of dangerous QC issues will crop up.

Having said all that, the weight and form factor of this revolver looks great. The sights sound ideal, and the price is very affordable... unless it sucks and you end up selling it at a loss.

I've always said they had pretty shaky quality.

He totally limp wristed that last shot...

Lester Polfus
01-20-2020, 11:39 PM

For decades I've been able to look at the Taurus catalog and find guns I would buy if they weren't made by Taurus. They make a double action revolver with interchangeable .22 LR/ .22 Mag cylinders, and I don't know how many times I've almost ordered when, but have stopped because I know I'll be disappointed.

Likewise, their 942 revolver has a drift adjustable rear sight, and a pinned on front. Can't find a S&W or a Ruger like that. This 856 looks like it could be function tested, loaded with carry ammo and dropped in a holster, except for the fact that it is a Taurus.

SCCY Marshal
01-20-2020, 11:47 PM
...They make a double action revolver with interchangeable .22 LR/ .22 Mag cylinders, and I don't know how many times I've almost ordered when, but have stopped because I know I'll be disappointed...

Good call. Trigger is heavy and gross. Can clean up with a lighter replacement spring but loses anything resembling reliability with the 22 WMR cylinder, erasing the whole point of the thing. Only friend left with one gamed it to at least light his preferred 22 LR then buried his magnum cylinder in the back of the safe.

Lester Polfus
01-20-2020, 11:54 PM
Good call. Trigger is heavy and gross. Can clean up with a lighter replacement spring but loses anything resembling reliability with the 22 WMR cylinder, erasing the whole point of the thing. Only friend left with one gamed it to at least light his preferred 22 LR then buried his magnum cylinder in the back of the safe.

That's kind of what I suspected. I figured if it was a viable idea, Smith would have done it by now. I guess you could always thumb cock it, but if you're going to shoot in single action all the time, that's what the Ruger Single-Six is for.

medmo
01-21-2020, 12:45 AM

It’s a well known fact that Taurus is a Premium Manufacturer. The problem is that it’s something like one out of twenty of them are Premium and the other nineteen or so are not very Premium at all. Even a stopped clock gets it right twice a day.

I once had a six inch, seven shot, titanium Tracker in 357 that truly was Premium. The several others I’ve owned through the years were of the not so Premium category.

OlongJohnson
01-21-2020, 09:23 AM
Just to note, the listed 35.00 oz for the steel "Defender" models is certainly an error, since the 22 oz for a one-inch shorter barrel is verified. The actual number is likely to be 23-25 oz, which is much more interesting.

Don't remember if it was stated in this thread, but reports are that K-frame speed loaders work with the 856.

Our Colt New Python thread isn't exactly making a strong argument against testing these waters.

I've had multiple S&Ws show up unusable and unfixable out of the box. Two out of two Rugers I've gotten into have had to be sent back.

As of right now, I'll almost certainly be trying out a stainless model when the next rebate offer comes around. Because I'm a revolver idiot, apparently.

BN
01-21-2020, 10:00 AM
This is probably going to end up costing me money. ;)

The 2" CH models appear to have a pinned front sight. That right there is a game changer. I see a 22 oz. steel frame with a usable replacement front sight being a possibility for a higher round count practice/carry gun. I have a Model 85 from the 1980s that has always run just fine.

The speedloaders listed on the Taurus sight are the HKS 10a which is their K-Frame loader. The only problem will be a good holster.

BN
01-21-2020, 10:29 AM
I was just thinking. For what you pay for a S&W that has to be sent back, you could have a 16oz carry, a 22 oz practice plus a spare or two. ;)

OlongJohnson
01-21-2020, 01:33 PM
Has anyone put real quantities of ammo through an 856? Like five digit counts? Or at least a 2k run?

All the 856 reviews I can find are 500 rounds or less. That's still "out of the box" in my mind.

OlongJohnson
01-22-2020, 12:04 AM
Swung by Academy on my way home and checked out one of their snubby 856s.

Surprisingly tight and wiggle-free lockup on some holes, others more typical. Wouldn't swear to how square the front of the cylinder is; cylinder gap may vary by a couple thou. But overall, not horrible. Some things were surprisingly draggy. Not stiff and binding, just draggy. Unknown whether due to needing the anti-rust packing grease to be washed out or needing fitting/smoothing, but overall, no real alarm bells. Nothing obviously wrong with it beyond tiny fit and finish details. It wasn't exactly sexy, but it's the kind of thing I'd have no problem getting dirty or scratched. It looks less like a husky's behind than an LCR.

The Colts and Kimbers I've handled aren't really enough better finished to justify the price ratio. Cobra is 3 oz heavier. K6 is 1 oz heavier, which is getting to be pointless to discuss. (To note, the 3-in K6s is 2 oz heavier than the 2-in K6s, so I expect the 3-in 856 to be right around 24 oz, as noted earlier.) However, I can't look at the Kimber and think that design is really the best effort of people who are good at designing and machining things in 2017 or whenever it came out.

Plus, I have a grip solution that works for me on a J-frame pattern, but not on any of the other small revolvers.

If Ruger would build this version of the SP101, I wouldn't hesitate.

Will sign up for the experiment.

TheNewbie
01-22-2020, 01:24 AM
Taurus makes many many guns I like in theory. I just can’t trust them, but I hope they change my mind one day.

Bigghoss
01-22-2020, 03:08 AM
My problem with Taurus isn't whether or not the gun you get is good. I've heard way too many stories of folks getting bad guns from them and sending them back only to have the guns returned still broken. I've had a lot of Rugers that had to go back but they always got fixed and I'd assume the same is true for S&W. I can buy those with confidence because at the very least they'll fix my gun if there's a problem. I can't be sure of that with Taurus.

Dave T
01-22-2020, 10:39 AM
My problem with Taurus isn't whether or not the gun you get is good. I've heard way too many stories of folks getting bad guns from them and sending them back only to have the guns returned still broken. I've had a lot of Rugers that had to go back but they always got fixed and I'd assume the same is true for S&W. I can buy those with confidence because at the very least they'll fix my gun if there's a problem. I can't be sure of that with Taurus.

Go hang out at the S&W Forum a while and you will hear of a number of guns returned for correction (crooked barrels and barrel shrouds for example) and the folks get them back with nothing done but a note saying their revolver is "in spec". Those owners loose that confidence you are hoping for.

Dave

JRV
01-22-2020, 10:55 AM
Go hang out at the S&W Forum a while and you will hear of a number of guns returned for correction (crooked barrels and barrel shrouds for example) and the folks get them back with nothing done but a note saying their revolver is "in spec". Those owners loose that confidence you are hoping for.

Dave

When I bought my K-frame (recent), my in-stock options at my local shop were a straight barrel with a crap trigger, canted barrels but nice actions, or a Carry Comp 3” 19 with both problems.

I picked up a Model 19 4.25” with a straight barrel, crappy action, and a set of grips that required insane amounts of shimming to remain tight to the gun while shooting.

If Taurus is at least equal with Smith for materials and assembly QC, I would not be surprised.

Bigghoss
01-22-2020, 12:05 PM
Geeze. In that case they can keep putting stupid locks in the side because I'm not buying one either way.

OlongJohnson
01-22-2020, 12:24 PM

Dave

Yeah, that.

My M&P 340 went back due to a pretty awesome machining defect in the crane. Came back with a new crane fitted, but some monkey had attacked the ratchet with a hand-held steel beaver machine, for no apparent reason. They did send me a new extractor in the mail for free, but the gun has been sitting unfired while I work around to getting it fitted. Heck if I'm sending the gun back to them again.

And that's the better of the results I've had from S&W warranty.

Hizzie
01-22-2020, 04:41 PM
A bit of googling shows at least a half dozen shops listing the new guns. The aluminum frame version looks like street price is gonna be roughly $325. Pretty tempting to try.

jandbj
01-22-2020, 04:45 PM
A bit of googling shows at least a half dozen shops listing the new guns. The aluminum frame version looks like street price is gonna be roughly $325. Pretty tempting to try.

If I’m being completely honest, I’ve spent more than that on potentially dumb shit before. 🤷🏻*♂️

OlongJohnson
01-22-2020, 05:14 PM
Leave it to TTAG to get basic facts wrong.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/taurus-announces-new-defender-856-38-special-revolvers/

They say the matte black models are Tenifer.

No materials I can find from Taurus say anything but matte black.

The word "Tenifer" appears once in the 2020 Taurus catalog, and it's on the page for one of their semis, not a revolver.

FWIW, I believe based on other reviews that the 856 matte black finish is simply black oxide, like the black oxide screws at the hardware store. It basically helps hold enough oil on the surface to keep them from rusting before you buy them. If I get one of these, it will definitely be stainless.

Technically, bluing is also black oxide, but...

parishioner
01-22-2020, 06:56 PM
When I bought my K-frame (recent), my in-stock options at my local shop were a straight barrel with a crap trigger, canted barrels but nice actions, or a Carry Comp 3” 19 with both problems.

I picked up a Model 19 4.25” with a straight barrel, crappy action, and a set of grips that required insane amounts of shimming to remain tight to the gun while shooting.

If Taurus is at least equal with Smith for materials and assembly QC, I would not be surprised.

Sounds like at this point retailers should just start offering “handpicked” examples for a slight upcharge. What a shame.

OlongJohnson
01-22-2020, 07:16 PM

If you just want to wring out a snubbie, $213 with free shipping seems to be pretty close to the best for a "Concealed Hammer" model, and currently available.

https://www.tinstarshootingrange.com/products/handguns-taurus-2856021ch-725327617488-707

I'd probably go with the all steel stainless for an extra $10, though. (Photo on Taurus' site also shows this model with a pinned front sight.)

https://www.tinstarshootingrange.com/products/handguns-taurus-2856029ch-725327617495-707

It appears likely that Taurus will offer rebates in any given calendar year.

Ima wait for a 3-in stainless.

Sounds like at this point retailers should just start offering “handpicked” examples for a slight upcharge. What a shame.

Don't know how much there is to it, but I've read that a lot of the shops selling multiples of anything on GB have essentially done that, but in reverse. They pick up a quantity order from their distributor at a deep discount, reserve the good ones for in-store sales, and put the rejects on GB.

Of course, other online retailers are just blowing out the old inventory of distributors willing to drop ship to the FFL designated to receive it. The gun you buy may have never been in the same state you sent your money to.

JRV
01-22-2020, 07:17 PM

They had two of the PC competition guns (686 and 625)... both of which had barrels listed hard to port.

It’s amazing what gets through.

OlongJohnson
01-22-2020, 07:21 PM
Unions help you live better.

OlongJohnson
01-22-2020, 09:01 PM
https://youtu.be/gX90Qa1XGqA

Or skip to the 856 content with this link: https://youtu.be/gX90Qa1XGqA?t=129

Stephanie B
01-22-2020, 09:26 PM
Unions help you live better.

Taurus is unionized?

OlongJohnson
01-22-2020, 09:32 PM
We were talking about S&Ws that apparently nobody had even bothered to look over with a cursory glance before shipping.

Borderland
01-22-2020, 11:18 PM
I have a model 85 stainless that I purchased about 20 years ago. I still have it. Barrel is canted from the factory. Maybe they got better, I don't know.

I won't be your guinea pig. Taurus already hooked me once.

Borderland
01-22-2020, 11:22 PM
Taurus is unionized?

International Brotherhood of Boilermakers.:D

Spartan1980
01-22-2020, 11:55 PM
How well do Taurus revolvers generally take to a hammer bob?

If you are just talking about spur removal, they are probably just fine. It takes a "quick whack" to ignite primers more than brute force. If you leave the main spring alone you'll gain hammer speed and you should be fine I would think. It's when you go nuts and radically chop the hammer removing over 1/3 of the weight (which I've done on a couple of my S&Ws) that you have to be careful and have a good supply of Federal primers on hand.

NOTE: This is for centerfire. I wouldn't even think about bobbing a hammer with rimfire, the lane is just too narrow there in my experience.

Duelist
01-23-2020, 12:36 AM
Leave it to TTAG to get basic facts wrong.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/taurus-announces-new-defender-856-38-special-revolvers/

They say the matte black models are Tenifer.

No materials I can find from Taurus say anything but matte black.

The word "Tenifer" appears once in the 2020 Taurus catalog, and it's on the page for one of their semis, not a revolver.

FWIW, I believe based on other reviews that the 856 matte black finish is simply black oxide, like the black oxide screws at the hardware store. It basically helps hold enough oil on the surface to keep them from rusting before you buy them. If I get one of these, it will definitely be stainless.

Technically, bluing is also black oxide, but...

The matte black 856 is supposed to be stainless with a black finish.

willie
01-23-2020, 06:31 AM
The shops with which I have interacted with over time have had poor results with Taurus revolvers. Until Taurus bought Rossi, this brand seemed to be acceptable quality wise. My opinion is that Ruger revolvers are top tier now. When one talks to a Ruger employee, he at least knows that he works for Ruger. Further, the factory is more likely to repair the gun the first time sent back. In jest I say that a Taurus revolver would give Olong a rash.;)

vaglocker
01-23-2020, 08:43 AM
Took one for the team and picked up the 856 stainless 2 inch model yesterday. I wanted an all steel beater for the range. I'll report back after i get some significant numbers through it. First impressions are it's a little rough but serviceable.

OlongJohnson
01-23-2020, 09:35 AM
Reading elsewhere suggests pulling off the sideplate and hosing it out to make sure there are no metal shavings and to get the packing grease out before you start is a good approach. As it is with S&W or Ruger.

The matte black 856 is supposed to be stainless with a black finish.

I'd still assume black oxide, since nothing from Taurus says otherwise. But it may not rust like carbon steel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_oxide#Stainless_steel

jtcarm
01-23-2020, 12:26 PM
This is probably going to end up costing me money. ;)

On the positive side, it won’t be much.

Dave

I’ve hung out on that forum and while members are solid for the most part, I see a lot of whiners and armchair shooters who seem to have their own #MeToo movement going.

If the canted/overclocked barrels were nearly as prevalent as some would have us believe, then I’m the luckiest guy on earth, because I’ve never seen it.

I’m not crazy about what’s currently coming out of Springfield, but I think the issues are grossly exaggerated.

Everyone remembers the posts about alleged lemons, but no one remembers “Wow, got my new Smith and it sure shoots nice.”

JRV
01-23-2020, 02:51 PM
If the canted/overclocked barrels were nearly as prevalent as some would have us believe, then I’m the luckiest guy on earth, because I’ve never seen it.

From 2012 through 2013, I managed a retail counter at a gun store and range, among other duties. Handled thousands of new Smith revolvers.

I have remained in touch with my former coworkers since then. I have also purchased several Smith revolvers in that time, new, and have handled dozens, maybe hundreds, of new Smiths at shops.

If you’ve never seen it, you’re not looking or you should buy more lottery tickets. I would estimate that canting issues were present on at least every tenth or twentieth new Smith revolver I handled. It was common enough that I deliberately check for that issue when I handle the new Smiths now.

4given
01-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Here is my Taurus 856 stainless. It's actually a pretty decent revolver. It's tight and fit and finish is surprisingly good. DA trigger pull is smooth, not gritty nor overly heavy. The trigger is quite a bit lighter than my wife's S&W M638.

I have 100 rounds of my hand loads and a box of duty ammo through it so far without a hitch. I won't be carrying this revolver. This 856 is my "recliner" gun.

https://i.imgur.com/uIJxj0g.jpg

jandbj
01-23-2020, 05:52 PM
Here is my Taurus 856 stainless. It's actually a pretty decent revolver. It's tight and fit and finish is surprisingly good. DA trigger pull is smooth, not gritty nor overly heavy. The trigger is quite a bit lighter than my wife's S&W M638.

I have 100 rounds of my hand loads and a box of duty ammo through it so far without a hitch. I won't be carrying this revolver. This 856 is my "recliner" gun.

Would you mind trying those Taurus grips on the 638? I’m curious if they’re the same pattern as the 85 grips.

Thank you for guinea pigging!

HeavyDuty
01-23-2020, 07:46 PM

Is that in case your La-z-boy gets frisky and needs to be put down?

OlongJohnson
01-23-2020, 08:11 PM
Would you mind trying those Taurus grips on the 638? I’m curious if they’re the same pattern as the 85 grips.

I believe the pin is in a different location. Might be difficult to get that right with the grip being a slip-on.

FWIW, I didn't really dig the lumps on the back strap when I handled it.

4given
01-23-2020, 09:46 PM

As you can see in the picture, they are two totally different grips.

https://i.imgur.com/oR9Mf9s.jpg

4given
01-23-2020, 09:54 PM
Is that in case your La-z-boy gets frisky and needs to be put down?

You can't be too careful! :p

OlongJohnson
01-23-2020, 10:21 PM
As you can see in the picture, they are two totally different grips.

Would be awesome if you resized that photo.

The question was asked because the Taurus boot grip for the 85 is known to work on the J frame if you punch out the grip pin. The Taurus small frame grip pin is in a different location, but the shape of the frames is close enough to the same for some grips to work on both. So jandbj was thinking maybe the wraparound on your Taurus would fit on a J frame. I don't think it will without accommodating the difference in pin position.

TheNewbie
01-23-2020, 11:10 PM
Did Taurus remove the internal lock? I don't see it on the revolver.

OlongJohnson
01-23-2020, 11:13 PM
I think they cost cut it.

And there is at least one video on the Tube of someone actuating it in both directions with a paper clip, so maybe unlike S&W, they realized how utterly pointless it was.

Grizzly
01-24-2020, 01:26 AM
I bought a black 85 back when the rebate was on and PSA had them on sale. Cost me $200 total. Pawned it for $180 over a year later. The barrel was clocked and it shot left. CS gave me a big maybe and i'd pay shipping. No thanks, and let someone else enjoy the last of the lifetime warranty guns. Then the 856 came out. Sheels had one that felt nice and smooth. It was gone when I thought I'd try again. They brought out the 5 or 6 in stock and not one with a straight barrel was even close to being as smooth. So, I moved on to an old Bulldog 3" which made 3 trips back to CA and was finally rebarreled and shoots much straighter though still not perfect. I'll probably file the front sight this spring. They did polish it and reblue it which made me happy. Also, it doesn't shoot loose like it used to after 50 to 75 rounds of light 225 grain reloads.

This 3" 856 is tempting, but the video brings up that old question again about is it rated +P or not. He specifically asked, is it 38 special only. I wish he'd asked if it was rated +P. The answer could either mean it's not .357 or it's not +P. Personally, I still think they are not rated +P. It's not on the gun that it is. Only .38 Special on the last one I looked at.

I wonder if the action is the same as the 85. I bought one of those wolf spring kits and used the lighter main but the lighter trigger return spring would jam up the action and was useless. I didn't mind how it shot, but it was a bit heavy being all steel. Now if the pinned front sight was drift adjustable, that would help alot.

There's a part of me that says to just enjoy my Bulldog and forget about it.

lee n. field
01-24-2020, 08:55 AM

The question was asked because the Taurus boot grip for the 85 is known to work on the J frame if you punch out the grip pin. The Taurus small frame grip pin is in a different location, but the shape of the frames is close enough to the same for some grips to work on both..

Usually close enough. I tried putting a Crimson Trace grip for Taurus small frame on a 642. It was a tight enough fit that that it didn't want to go on.

Did Taurus remove the internal lock? I don't see it on the revolver.

On external hammer Taurus revolvers the lock is on the back of the hammer. You wouldn't see it in the pic above. But, IIRC, they did leave it off the 856.

Stephanie B
01-24-2020, 09:57 AM
On external hammer Taurus revolvers the lock is on the back of the hammer. You wouldn't see it in the pic above. But, IIRC, they did leave it off the 856.

I didn't see it mentioned in the sucker's owner's manual.

4given
01-24-2020, 10:39 AM

The question was asked because the Taurus boot grip for the 85 is known to work on the J frame if you punch out the grip pin. The Taurus small frame grip pin is in a different location, but the shape of the frames is close enough to the same for some grips to work on both. So jandbj was thinking maybe the wraparound on your Taurus would fit on a J frame. I don't think it will without accommodating the difference in pin position.

Sorry I cant seem to edit the post. I even removed the picture from Imgur but it still remains here.

4given
01-24-2020, 12:50 PM

Here is a smaller picture as requested:

https://i.imgur.com/6UT4Brb.jpg

UNK
01-31-2020, 10:20 PM
Hmmm they hired a gun guy to run it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/question-of-the-day-is-taurus-better-than-ever/amp/

BBMW
02-06-2020, 04:19 PM
They seem to be getting traction.

And at SHOT, they release a whole sub-line of 3" barreled 856s

Hmmm they hired a gun guy to run it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/question-of-the-day-is-taurus-better-than-ever/amp/

OlongJohnson
02-06-2020, 04:32 PM
And at SHOT, they release a whole sub-line of 3" barreled 856s

That's what the OP and most of this thread has been about.

vaglocker
03-10-2020, 02:26 PM
Took one for the team and picked up the 856 stainless 2 inch model yesterday. I wanted an all steel beater for the range. I'll report back after i get some significant numbers through it. First impressions are it's a little rough but serviceable.

Approaching 1000 rounds and so far I'm really impressed. Initially replaced the springs with the Galloway Precision reduced power hammer and trs springs. Was getting occasional light strikes with the new hammer spring so returned to stock but kept the reduced power trs. Trigger is super smooth and single action is almost too light for my liking but i rarely shoot single action so i'm keeping the current set up. Most of the ammo i've shot through has been 148 wadcutters with maybe 200 standard pressure 38 ball.

TheNewbie
03-10-2020, 06:27 PM
Approaching 1000 rounds and so far I'm really impressed. Initially replaced the springs with the Galloway Precision reduced power hammer and trs springs. Was getting occasional light strikes with the new hammer spring so returned to stock but kept the reduced power trs. Trigger is super smooth and single action is almost too light for my liking but i rarely shoot single action so i'm keeping the current set up. Most of the ammo i've shot through has been 148 wadcutters with maybe 200 standard pressure 38 ball.

Thank you for this update.

A 856ch is rather tempting. Hopefully it continues to pan out for you.

Have you carried the 856 any?

vaglocker
03-10-2020, 06:43 PM
Thank you for this update.

A 856ch is rather tempting. Hopefully it continues to pan out for you.

Have you carried the 856 any?

This was supposed to be my night cobra understudy and range gun only but at this point I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it. Since my cobra has been at colt repair longer than I’ve actually had it in my possession I might start carrying it. Also, it fits both cobra holsters I have which is nice.

Lester Polfus
03-10-2020, 06:48 PM
This was supposed to be my night cobra understudy and range gun only but at this point I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it. Since my cobra has been at colt repair longer than I’ve actually had it in my possession I might start carrying it. Also, it fits both cobra holsters I have which is nice.

I've made no secret of my suspicions of Taurus, but I'm glad to hear this one is working out for you. Frankly, I don't think I've ever heard of a reliable account of a Taurus revolver going 1K rounds.

The irony that it is out performing your colt is certainly not lost on me.

Trooper224
03-11-2020, 10:30 AM
I've made no secret of my suspicions of Taurus, but I'm glad to hear this one is working out for you. Frankly, I don't think I've ever heard of a reliable account of a Taurus revolver going 1K rounds.

The irony that it is out performing your colt is certainly not lost on me.

Colt and Smith & Wesson both seem to be playing by the Taurus playbook these days.

Dave T
03-11-2020, 10:32 AM
Has anyone seen, handled, or perhaps purchased one of the 3" Taurus 856s? I haven't seen one but then I don't get out much.

Dave

JRV
03-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Has anyone seen, handled, or perhaps purchased one of the 3" Taurus 856s? I haven't seen one but then I don't get out much.

Dave

Release date (per SHOT) is supposed to be Q2 2020. We are still in Q1.

Dave T
03-11-2020, 01:36 PM
Release date (per SHOT) is supposed to be Q2 2020. We are still in Q1.

Well...told ya I don't get out much. (LOL)

Dave

OlongJohnson
03-11-2020, 07:36 PM
2-in. snubbie for $229.11 and free shipping.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=132718

TheNewbie
03-11-2020, 07:57 PM

Does your 856 have an internal lock on it? On the back of the hammer?

vaglocker
03-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Does your 856 have an internal lock on it? On the back of the hammer?

Mine does not

OlongJohnson
03-12-2020, 12:26 AM
Based on reading elsewhere, that feature appears to have been cost-cut from Taurus revolvers several years ago.

03-12-2020, 04:43 AM
So what exactly is the recent history between Taurus and Rossi? I've shot a Rossi "Circuit Judge" a good bit. The blueing is nice and the action is smooth (no known tuning). It frankly strikes me as a decent choice for the minimally trained as a house gun. In 3 inch .410 5 pellet 000 or maybe better .45 LC. It's the sort of thing that probably wouldn't ever be shot enough to wear it out. Makes me think...

UNM1136
03-19-2020, 05:13 PM
Frankly, I don't think I've ever heard of a reliable account of a Taurus revolver going 1K rounds.

I would give up some useless (but not painless) anatomy for a earlier than mid 90s PT92 or darn near any of their revolvers. Recent guns, not so much. But I have friends from back then that I keep pestering to sell/will me their guns. Given the state of things back then, I would not think there were any reliable accounts of 1k guns, but if I get get one of these from one of my friends I will do a 2k test....

pat

deputyG23
03-23-2020, 01:30 PM

Great to hear it. Which bullet weight are the sights regulated for?

HoustonGP100
03-24-2020, 08:15 AM
I find myself wanting the Taurus 692 convertble in 2.5 inch version to run 7 shots of 9mm.

Really thinking seriously about it.

CCT125US
03-24-2020, 08:38 AM
Snapped this awhile back. Walked into local shop and the owner exclaims with great enthusiasm he has acquired something I must see. Now, I know this is either going to be an HK of some kind, perhaps a USP Expert, P7M8/13 or, the more likely possibility, something of such epic failure that it baffles the mind. He asks if I have seen the new 856, by Taurus and proceeds to hand me the below example. We then spend the next 15 minutes trying to figure out how many hands and steps this had to go through in order to make it out the door.
For the un caffeinated, or visually impaired, you are looking at an extended, rifled section of barrel that was left on, and made it to a retail sales counter.

Chuck Haggard
03-24-2020, 08:51 AM
Snapped this awhile back. Walked into local shop and the owner exclaims with great enthusiasm he has acquired something I must see. Now, I know this is either going to be an HK of some kind, perhaps a USP Expert, P7M8/13 or, the more likely possibility, something of such epic failure that it baffles the mind. He asks if I have seen the new 856, by Taurus and proceeds to hand me the below example. We then spend the next 15 minutes trying to figure out how many hands and steps this had to go through in order to make it out the door.
For the un caffeinated, or visually impaired, you are looking at an extended, rifled section of barrel that was left on, and made it to a retail sales counter.

In order to make it around the '68 gun control act they import these with "barrels" long enough to meet the import criteria, then saw that extra portion off.

CCT125US
03-24-2020, 08:59 AM
In order to make it around the '68 gun control act they import these with "barrels" long enough to meet the import criteria, then saw that extra portion off.

The LGS was told that roughly 100 of these made it to retail stores. Curious how many steps were missed in the process for that to happen.

Stephanie B
03-24-2020, 09:42 AM
The LGS was told that roughly 100 of these made it to retail stores. Curious how many steps were missed in the process for that to happen.

Might be worth money in fifty years if there are Taurus collectors then.

Dave T
03-24-2020, 10:05 AM
I wonder how many rubes could be convinced it is a special model set up to take a suppressor...oops! I mean a silencer. (smile)

Dave

Lester Polfus
03-24-2020, 10:15 AM
I wonder how many rubes could be convinced it is a special model set up to take a suppressor...oops! I mean a silencer. (smile)

Dave

I was thinking the LGS could have drilled some holes in it and called it a compensator.

Every now and then I think, "well maybe Taurus has gotten its act together and I should try one." Then we see things like this.

Crazy Dane
03-24-2020, 10:36 AM

Dave

I thought that was where you attached the bayonet?

lee n. field
03-24-2020, 11:26 AM

Miguel with the Gun Free Zone (https://gunfreezone.net/rossi-recall-ordeal-is-over-in-a-way/) blog got one of these as replacement gun from the Rossi recall.

HeavyDuty
03-24-2020, 01:09 PM

Not sure if serious... there have been strange things done to get around ‘68 GCA before.

OlongJohnson
03-24-2020, 01:28 PM
I've seen discussion of those elsewhere, including the info that they all come that way to get into the country.

Having worked with warehouse people before, it doesn't surprise me that a batch got through.

Frankly, I'd pay extra to get one like that, knowing I could end up with the crown I want, not the crown some low-skilled laborer at Taurus' US warehouse thinks is good enough.

Heck, "choose-your-own-gunsmith" crowning would be a significant upgrade on a lot of S&W production.

Grizzly
03-24-2020, 02:21 PM
We laugh at cutting some holes and turning it into a ported gun, but I wonder if that's not exactly what Rossi and Taurus did with these barrels that stick out from the lug area years ago.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/861176321

Bigghoss
03-26-2020, 05:47 AM
Might be worth money in fifty years if there are Taurus collectors then.

This is going to happen and I'm going to wish that COVID-19 had wiped out everyone on earth.

HoustonGP100
03-26-2020, 09:53 AM
So I pulled the trigger on a Taurus. For shame. Ok so I have two small frame taurus revolvers and both have been trouble free. One of them a model 85 I gave my father in law back in 1989. I got it back a few years ago when he passed away. Did some long needed cleaning. Loaded it up and shot it. Works just fine. So I am giving the newer manufactured Taurus a try.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/692/692-revolvers-357-mag-38-special-p-9mm-7-round-matte-stainless/

I have ordered this one specifically because it fits my desire for a 7 shot Roscoe in 9mm. The switch cylinder is intriguing but I will probably put the 9mm cylinder on it and shoot away.

I hope I haven't made a mistake. If Ruger had made this configuration in a GP I would have scarfed that up in a heartbeat.

OlongJohnson
05-20-2020, 05:48 PM
Kind of a typical derpy review, but you do get a real weight for the aluminum frame version at the 3:58 mark.

17 1/4 oz. empty.

https://youtu.be/tOd2bQqkHCg

TheNewbie
05-20-2020, 11:42 PM
So I pulled the trigger on a Taurus. For shame. Ok so I have two small frame taurus revolvers and both have been trouble free. One of them a model 85 I gave my father in law back in 1989. I got it back a few years ago when he passed away. Did some long needed cleaning. Loaded it up and shot it. Works just fine. So I am giving the newer manufactured Taurus a try.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/692/692-revolvers-357-mag-38-special-p-9mm-7-round-matte-stainless/

I have ordered this one specifically because it fits my desire for a 7 shot Roscoe in 9mm. The switch cylinder is intriguing but I will probably put the 9mm cylinder on it and shoot away.

I hope I haven't made a mistake. If Ruger had made this configuration in a GP I would have scarfed that up in a heartbeat.

Did you ever get this revolver?

HoustonGP100
05-21-2020, 08:25 AM
Did you ever get this revolver?

Yes I did. My bad though I have yet to shoot it. My take and changes. The factory grip make the reach to the trigger really long. I am used to Ruger GP with the compact grips and this piece is bigger in reach. So I changed grips to a set of Altamonts. The Altamonts are really nice but didn't change the reach much.

The DA pull weight was bad and had some grit to the pull. I took it apart. I polished the hammer spring strut where the spring would rub on it. Not anything hard to do. I do this on Ruger GP and SP series as well. I switched out hammer and trigger return springs from Galloway Precision. Now the DA trigger pull much more acceptable.

I must say the finish on the inside of the revolver and the parts themselves look pretty good. Of course most big parts are MIM but the CNC machining inside looks good.

The revolver fits in any of the leather holsters I have had made for my 3 inch GP 100's.

More to come after I shoot it. I also removed the stupid red tape stripe on the front sight and actually applied sight paint.

TheNewbie
06-30-2020, 02:30 PM
Almost bought an 856 today. Liked the weight, DAO with a hammer, 6 shots.

However the trigger felt off on a chamber or two and it looked like paint was missing from part of the trigger.

Maybe it was fine and I’m wrong about the trigger. Revolver expertise is not something I posses.

If I trusted it to work I would no doubt get one. It checks most of the boxes I want checked.

OlongJohnson
08-04-2020, 10:58 AM
KYGunCo has stainless in stock. Price is higher than it used to be (before anyone could actually ship them). Who's going to be first?

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=146721

Tombstone Tactical doesn't show it in stock yet, but still has the best shipped price on gun.deals.

oss117
08-05-2020, 06:42 AM
Kind of a typical derpy review, but you do get a real weight for the aluminum frame version at the 3:58 mark.

17 1/4 oz. empty.

https://youtu.be/tOd2bQqkHCg

I also noticed that it does not have a lock.