PDA

View Full Version : CCI Small Pistol Primers - Recurring Problems

Mark D
01-17-2020, 09:59 PM
Since acquiring my XL650 (my first and only press), I've loaded 6200 rounds of 9mm. I've only used CCI small pistol primers. I've had the following issues with the CCI primers.

Primer stuck inside primer tube, on three separate occasions. In each instance, Dillon has sent me a new primer tube, and advised me to discard the tube containing the stuck primer.

Primer canted and stuck in the rotary primer disc, twice. The first time I removed the primer system and carefully dislodged the stuck primer. The second time the primer was extremely stubborn, and I couldn't dislodge it. Dillon is sending me a new rotary primer disc.

The Dillon customer service rep said that CCI primers were, at one time, known to be out of spec. He said they improved their manufacturing process, but he thinks I may have bad batch with poor concentricity.

At this stage I still have 1000+ CCI primers in my reloading room, but I'm tempted to switch to another brand.

Anyone else had these kinds of issues? Are there brands of primers known to be "better" or "best"?

CCT125US
01-17-2020, 10:47 PM
Any info on date of manufacturing or lot codes?

Jim Watson
01-18-2020, 09:46 AM
I use Winchester in 9mm, Federal in .38, either in .45. No problems like you describe. But then I did not have CCI primers stuck in the feed the last time I had some of them, either.
Wolf was not reliable for me, I have not used other foreign primers.

I would complain to CCI and see if they will replace at least that last thousand.
In the meanwhile, use Something Else.

Mark D
01-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Any info on date of manufacturing or lot codes?

Lot number G31Z22. Purchased about a year ago from Powder Valley, if I recall correctly.

mikld
01-27-2020, 01:55 PM
Have you tried any other primers? I have found different manufacturer's primers to be pretty standard in dimensions (diameter and height) so perhaps it's not a specific primer problem, but a press (or operator) problem...

Borderland
02-24-2020, 10:25 PM
CCI primers is all I use as they're my prefered primer. Never found a problem with those and I use SP, SR and LP. I don't use a tube however so that may be the problem. I load range brass exclusively and CCI fits every piece of brass I've slammed a primer into so the dimensions of the primer are GTG. They get a little sloppy in some brass but they always seat.

10mmfanboy
02-24-2020, 11:23 PM
I think you probably got unfortunate and got a bad batch. All I use are cci primers in a Dillon 550B and RCBS turret. Only two problems I recall having with CCI out of thousands is one got lodged in the primer pickup tube and never got that unstuck and I had one primer inserted upside down which could have been my fault not having them all face the right way before I picked them up with the pickup tube.

Clusterfrack
02-25-2020, 12:27 PM
CCI primers vary a lot in depth. Observe how they fill a tube to different amounts. I’ve also had a few batches with irregular material at the base, causing sticking in the tube.

I use Federal for competition but still rely on CCI for everything else.

Wayne Dobbs
02-25-2020, 03:37 PM
I've used 10s of thousands of CCI small pistol primers over the years with no issues. However....., the Dillon primer system has never been anything to write home about. It's always like a high maintenance companion, requiring lots of care and attention and cleaning or it will give you misery.

Mark D
03-20-2020, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I got a decent sized bath of Federal primers before the recent run on reloading components. So far they're working fine, but I've only reloaded a few hundred rounds. I'll also do a better of job of cleaning my primer tubes and press. Time will tell...

SecondsCount
03-20-2020, 11:32 PM
I mostly use Magtech in my 650 without any issues except one, but it isn't the primers fault.

Do you ever have the issue where the decapper does not pop out the primer? It actually pops out the primer and pulls it back in but that is another discussion.

When this happens, the spent primer is still in the case, and indexes to the primer station. You push forward on the handle to seat a primer but the new primer bangs into the back of the old one because it didn't get removed. You reach in, grab the case and toss it back in the case feeder to go through the decapping process again.

When you pull the handle again, that "new" primer gets ejected into the little tray for recycling in with the new primers. Problem is, if you were putting a lot of force on that primer when you were trying to seat it, that primer is damaged goods and can get stuck in the primer tube when you go to pick it up again. I've seen this happen a couple times in thousands of rounds.

olstyn
03-20-2020, 11:56 PM
the Dillon primer system has never been anything to write home about. It's always like a high maintenance companion, requiring lots of care and attention and cleaning or it will give you misery.

The Hornady primer system is really no better. It requires more frequent cleaning than the entire rest of the press in order to run smoothly. I feel like the priming system is probably the weak point of a lot of presses.

Mark D
03-20-2020, 11:57 PM
I mostly use Magtech in my 650 without any issues except one, but it isn't the primers fault.

Do you ever have the issue where the decapper does not pop out the primer? It actually pops out the primer and pulls it back in but that is another discussion.

When this happens, the spent primer is still in the case, and indexes to the primer station. You push forward on the handle to seat a primer but the new primer bangs into the back of the old one because it didn't get removed. You reach in, grab the case and toss it back in the case feeder to go through the decapping process again.

When you pull the handle again, that "new" primer gets ejected into the little tray for recycling in with the new primers. Problem is, if you were putting a lot of force on that primer when you were trying to seat it, that primer is damaged goods and can get stuck in the primer tube when you go to pick it up again. I've seen this happen a couple times in thousands of rounds.

I can totally envisage that scenario. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Jim Watson
03-21-2020, 01:41 PM
A related problem is the "ringer" where the decapping pin punches off the crown of the primer, leaving the sides in the pocket. I attribute it to chemically cleaned or weathered brass with the primer corrosion welded in place.

My old CH Autochamp had the most reliable primer feed but had so many other oddities and problems that it is rusting under the bench and reloading done on Dillons.

deputyG23
03-24-2020, 09:37 AM
I've used 10s of thousands of CCI small pistol primers over the years with no issues. However....., the Dillon primer system has never been anything to write home about. It's always like a high maintenance companion, requiring lots of care and attention and cleaning or it will give you misery.
I just acquired a Dillon 550 in an estate sale buy and will probably stick with my Lee priming tools.They aren't perfect, but they work most of the time. Those primer tubes on the Dillon give me the willies. I prefer to see the primers as they are being channeled through the hopper. Sometimes a couple get flipped and it can be fixed before seating them if one pays attention.

LittleLebowski
03-24-2020, 09:40 AM
I just acquired a Dillon 550 in an estate sale buy and will probably stick with my Lee priming tools.They aren't perfect, but they work most of the time. Those primer tubes on the Dillon give me the willies. I prefer to see the primers as they are being channeled through the hopper. Sometimes a couple get flipped and it can be fixed before seating them if one pays attention.

I'd give it a shot (no pun intended) at least. The Dillon 550 is fast and safe.

Wayne Dobbs
03-24-2020, 09:51 AM

Unless things have changed, you can send that unit to Dillon for updating, inspection, lubrication, etc. for very little money. May be worth the trip.

Hambo
03-24-2020, 01:59 PM

550 stuff: I look at primers as the slide moves from the primer tube under the shell plate. If they flip I usually catch them. If they're flipping often, or getting launched, you need to fix that issue, which is usually the primer cup height. Another thing I did was switch to a 650 primer tube with the brass tip instead of the plastic 550 tips.

tankpondman
03-25-2020, 09:48 PM
Ended up finding a few @ Bass Pro. Midway was out along with quite a few other places.
My birthday on the 31st (71) is coming and Midway has a birthday special price on some things from now
until April 7 for me. Grabed some powder and bullits and called it good.

john