PDA

View Full Version : Tom Long

05-02-2012, 06:35 PM
This may not be the right place for this question. Mods please move if it isn't.

Does anyone know of Tom Long or have training experience with him? I think he focuses on LE classes. I have heard some of the local PD instructor reference him and was looking for some less biased opinions or more experienced opinions.

Tom Givens
05-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Long is the Chief of Police of one of the suburbs of Memphis. His dept is over 100 officers. He has been in LE here for over 30 years.

Long was an instructor at John Shaw's MISS just outside Memphis back in its heyday in the 80's when they were actually teaching SEAL's, SWAT Teams, etc. One of my staff took a class with him in March of this year and was very favorably impressed. His courses are LE officer survival, but there would be plenty applicable to private citizens.

05-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks. It was the blurb in your latest newsletter that got to me thinking I should ask around.

Ward632
05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
I attended the advanced instructor tactics course from Tom last month and have to say that he is definetly one of the best instructors that I have had. His material and teaching style is top notch on the pistol, shotgun, and rifle. The material is geared toward militry/law enforcement, but a private citizen could most certainly benefit from attending one of his courses.

sniperfrog
05-07-2012, 09:38 PM
I trained at MISS with Tom back around 1996. Good instructor. The SEAL teams did alot of training at MISS in the 80s and 90's and Tom usually taught the MP5.