PDA

View Full Version : Matt Harris Knives

WobblyPossum
01-16-2020, 07:10 PM
Does anyone on the board know anything about Matt Harris Knives out of VA? He was offering discounts on modifications to clinch picks around Black Friday so I sent mine in. He hasn’t posted on his Instagram since the beginning of December. I don’t have a Facebook to check his. I sent him a message and haven’t received a response. I’m wondering if everything is okay. I’m not worried that he’s going around stealing people’s China picks or anything.

orionz06
01-16-2020, 08:05 PM
I'll ping him. He's legit and has started a new job and has some training.

orionz06
01-16-2020, 08:13 PM
Should be in the mail Tuesday, he'll message ya.

WobblyPossum
01-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Thanks Tom! I appreciate you reaching out for me.

UNK
01-16-2020, 11:57 PM
Does anyone on the board know anything about Matt Harris Knives out of VA? He was offering discounts on modifications to clinch picks around Black Friday so I sent mine in. He hasn’t posted on his Instagram since the beginning of December. I don’t have a Facebook to check his. I sent him a message and haven’t received a response. I’m wondering if everything is okay. I’m not worried that he’s going around stealing people’s China picks or anything.

Id be interested to see what was done to yours. I took mine to a local guy, he hollow ground it and put a convex edge on it.

WobblyPossum
01-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Id be interested to see what was done to yours. I took mine to a local guy, he hollow ground it and put a convex edge on it.

The package I ordered included a convex edge (unsure if it’s hollow ground first), deburr, refinish, reshaping of the scales to Harris’ asymmetrical handle treatment, and a texturing of the scales. I’ll post photos when it arrives home.

UNK
03-16-2020, 07:29 AM
The package I ordered included a convex edge (unsure if it’s hollow ground first), deburr, refinish, reshaping of the scales to Harris’ asymmetrical handle treatment, and a texturing of the scales. I’ll post photos when it arrives home.

Any luck on getting that knife back?

WobblyPossum
03-16-2020, 07:37 AM
Any luck on getting that knife back?

Not yet. I got one reply on Instagram a little over a month ago explaining the issue that caused the delay. Haven’t heard anything since. I reached out again but haven’t received a response.

UNK
03-16-2020, 07:55 AM
Not yet. I got one reply on Instagram a little over a month ago explaining the issue that caused the delay. Haven’t heard anything since. I reached out again but haven’t received a response.

Wow. Not going to get a customer service award. Does this guy have a package description and price posted anywhere? Im going to try to see my local guy this week about flattening the handles on mine and Ill see if he wants to put togather a package price that I can post up here. When he did the hollow grind and convex edge on mine I got it back in a week.

WobblyPossum
03-16-2020, 09:46 AM
Wow. Not going to get a customer service award. Does this guy have a package description and price posted anywhere? Im going to try to see my local guy this week about flattening the handles on mine and Ill see if he wants to put togather a package price that I can post up here. When he did the hollow grind and convex edge on mine I got it back in a week.

I just checked Instagram and. Matt actually just got back to me. Looks like I should have my knife back next week. I’m not sure if there’s a package description or price formally posted. When I ordered it was when someone had linked an Instagram post Matt made offering 25% off for Black Friday. He described the work as follows: “Price for a refinish, deburr, new edge, and handle work is 50. Texture job adds 25 bucks. I can do my Asymmetrical handle treatment, slightly flattened, or thin downed handles.” I ordered the additional texturing and paid $75, including return shipping, so the full price would be $100 for the package with textured handles.

I don’t know if Matt has a website. I don’t have a Facebook myself so I don’t know if that’s a way he normally communicates. There are photos of completed work on his Instagram page mattharrisknives.

I think if your guy can put a package together at a fair price, it would likely be pretty popular here considering how many members carry clinch picks.

orionz06
03-16-2020, 10:06 AM
I just checked Instagram and. Matt actually just got back to me. Looks like I should have my knife back next week. I’m not sure if there’s a package description or price formally posted. When I ordered it was when someone had linked an Instagram post Matt made offering 25% off for Black Friday. He described the work as follows: “Price for a refinish, deburr, new edge, and handle work is 50. Texture job adds 25 bucks. I can do my Asymmetrical handle treatment, slightly flattened, or thin downed handles.” I ordered the additional texturing and paid $75, including return shipping, so the full price would be $100 for the package with textured handles.

I don’t know if Matt has a website. I don’t have a Facebook myself so I don’t know if that’s a way he normally communicates. There are photos of completed work on his Instagram page mattharrisknives.

I think if your guy can put a package together at a fair price, it would likely be pretty popular here considering how many members carry clinch picks.

I sent him a message this morning since UNK posted.

Did he refund you?

WobblyPossum
03-16-2020, 10:45 AM
I sent him a message this morning since UNK posted.

Did he refund you?

Sorry I meant to mention this in my reply to UNK but forgot. Matt offered to refund my money because of the delay. I turned him down since I have no issue with paying for the work as long as it gets done. The fact that he offered to refund my money while still getting the work done says a lot about him though. If work ends up being acceptable, I won’t let the delay in this project stop me from doing business with Matt in the future.

orionz06
03-16-2020, 10:50 AM
Cool. Not sure what all he's said, but he has far less free time than imagined while he runs through some required job training.

UNK
03-16-2020, 03:12 PM
Found this image of his rework.
The thing is you can get a new 2.0 CP for $120. I believe there have been some sheath improvements with the 2.0.
I am really curious how the retention is after the rework. Looking forward to seeing yours and getting impressions.

orionz06
03-16-2020, 03:25 PM
The sheath is the same as they've been shipping with for a bit, an optimized version of the original. It's 100% workable and had I not made them I'd not likely switch for function purposes.

UNK
03-17-2020, 05:10 PM
So talked to my guy today. To get the handle to the same thickness as the 2.0 would only give you small flats on tbe handle. Not totally flat like the 2.0 handles. In addition where had already hollow ground it he cant do the double edge due to insufficient material.
I think Im gonna pass on a redo. I may offer mine up at a substantial discount then put the money towards a 2.0. Ill take the 2.0 to him and see if he can do the double edge on it and sharpen the primary edge.

UNK
04-16-2020, 11:23 AM
Sorry I meant to mention this in my reply to UNK but forgot. Matt offered to refund my money because of the delay. I turned him down since I have no issue with paying for the work as long as it gets done. The fact that he offered to refund my money while still getting the work done says a lot about him though. If work ends up being acceptable, I won’t let the delay in this project stop me from doing business with Matt in the future.

Did you ever get a reworked knife back?

WobblyPossum
04-16-2020, 11:40 AM
Did you ever get a reworked knife back?
Haha. Nope. Not yet. I’m rethinking turning down the refund.