PDA

View Full Version : Larry Vickers 2 day Advanced Handgun Myrtle Beach SC June 27-28, 2020

Amp
01-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Larry Vickers is coming to Myrtle Beach, SC June 27-28 for a 2 day Advanced Handgun class.

Topics covered include: malfunction drills, shooting on the move, and strong hand and weak hand shooting. Timed fire drills and evaluations based on class skill level. Concealed carry methods are also covered. Advanced shooting on the move and skill drills. Courses of fire to be used are based on the skill level and evaluation of the shooters. The shooter will leave the course with a firm grasp on both strengths and weaknesses, and drills to help themselves improve.

Cost:$500

Gear requirements:
• Eye & Ear protection (electronic hearing protection is strongly recommended)
• Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
• Serviceable holster
• Minimum 1 double magazine pouch
• Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5 is better)
• 1,500 rounds of ammo for two days
• Suitable range wear depending on the season
• Good attitude

For more info please PM me here.

Amp
04-06-2020, 12:44 PM
We are postponing this class to a later date that will be announced after the Wuhan flu has been defeated.

okie john
04-06-2020, 01:13 PM
I attended a one-day LAV advanced handgun skills class a few years ago. I won't reveal the POI, but I'll offer a few tips:
• You're expected to know the fundamentals. You might see 2-3 diagnostic drills, then it's zero to 60.
• He didn’t tell war stories or talk about gear--it was all shooting.
• There were no easy drills. Par times were far shorter than times in a Ken Hackathorn class.
• Expect few breaks except for lunch. Stuff mags as soon as you leave the line and piss when the other relay runs long. Single-column shooters often fell behind on loading mags and kept people waiting.
• Both LAV and Pat McNamara insist that you shoot a drill clean at a given distance within par time. Mac says that if you can't do that, then extend the time and speed up as accuracy improves. LAV brings the target closer, then moves it out as speed improves. Both demand accuracy.
• We didn’t work on manipulations. Some drills included a reload to distract us from shooting well, which worked admirably.
• He only shot the hard drills. I’d be on the line barely hanging on to my ass, and out of the corner of my eye I’d see him shredding the same drill WHO, or from the holster while we were working from Low Ready. When you shoot at his level, you can skip the basic drills.

This is a steal at $500, but it's not for the beginner or the faint of heart. I would definitely take this class again.

Okie John

gomerpyle
04-06-2020, 03:41 PM
I was the victim of his Dick Dance when I attended his class three years ago. He holds everyone to a high standard, and it's up to you to live up to it. I still suffer from nightmares featuring B8 targets.

Well worth the squeeze.

Steve m
04-09-2020, 11:12 AM
Standing by for the late date.
Thanks AMP for the updates.

Sauer Koch
04-09-2020, 11:17 AM
I attended a one-day LAV advanced handgun skills class a few years ago. I won't reveal the POI, but I'll offer a few tips:
• You're expected to know the fundamentals. You might see 2-3 diagnostic drills, then it's zero to 60.
• He didn’t tell war stories or talk about gear--it was all shooting.
• There were no easy drills. Par times were far shorter than times in a Ken Hackathorn class.
• Expect few breaks except for lunch. Stuff mags as soon as you leave the line and piss when the other relay runs long. Single-column shooters often fell behind on loading mags and kept people waiting.
• Both LAV and Pat McNamara insist that you shoot a drill clean at a given distance within par time. Mac says that if you can't do that, then extend the time and speed up as accuracy improves. LAV brings the target closer, then moves it out as speed improves. Both demand accuracy.
• We didn’t work on manipulations. Some drills included a reload to distract us from shooting well, which worked admirably.
• He only shot the hard drills. I’d be on the line barely hanging on to my ass, and out of the corner of my eye I’d see him shredding the same drill WHO, or from the holster while we were working from Low Ready. When you shoot at his level, you can skip the basic drills.

This is a steal at $500, but it's not for the beginner or the faint of heart. I would definitely take this class again.

Okie John

Sounds like a fun, challenging class, I'd like to attend one day. Back in '14?...LAV, Pat Mac and Mike Panonne, were going to do a three day class here, ($800) each one teaching a full day; this was right at the end of the Alias fiasco. The class got cancelled, but that would have been a good one!