PDA

View Full Version : IDPA Classifier Noob

Corey
05-01-2012, 09:10 PM
I shot my first IDPA classifier over the weekend. SSP category (stock M&P9) and ended up with a final score of 139.26, mid-range Sharpshooter class. I would like to make Expert as quickly as I can, so I figured I would ask the IDPA gurus here what skills I should concentrate the most on in practice to get the most improvement. Here is the breakdown of my performance.

Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3

String 1: 3.25 String 1: 5.23 String 1: 23.15

String 2: 3.24 String 2: 4.05 String 2: 26.23

String 3: 3.25 String 3: 8.90 String 3: 9.27

String 4: 7.59 String 4: 6.26

String 5: 3.93

String 6: 7.60

String 7: 7.31

Stage times: 36.17 24.44 58.65

Points down

T1: -1 T1: -7 T1: -4

T2: -2 T2: -7 T2: -3

T3: -1 T3: -12 T3: -3

Total time: 119.26, Points Down: 40

I had no misses, just too many -1 and a couple of -3 on stage 2.
Discuss and critique!

jetfire
05-01-2012, 09:19 PM
If you really want to improve fast, focus on the 7 and 10 yard stages. You gave up 60% of your points down (24) on stages where you really should be looking to give up 6-10 points. The trick to developing in the shooting sports is to find big chunks of time first, and tightening up your accuracy at short and intermediate distance will have a huge and immediate impact on your scores. If you can get to the point where you're dropping 3 points on stage 1 and another 3 points on stage 2, then you're in a position to do something about stage 3.

cclaxton
05-01-2012, 09:49 PM
When I hear the masters talk about improvements, its all about "efficiency of movement." Practice the actual stepping and running and kneeling to shave off more time.

CC

Ben Stoeger
05-01-2012, 10:40 PM
I bet if you work primarily from the 10 yard line on some simple drawing and reloading drills you will shave huge time off your classifier. From looking at your times I am guessing your draw is running 1.7-2.0 seconds. If you can cut that down it will really add up.

You did drop quite a few points at the 10 yard line as well. You should work from that distance on some speed shooting drills while trying to shoot all -0s.

Really, if you work at drawing and shooting -0s at 10 yards while trying to get a 1.2 second draw and .25 splits, you would easily be into expert and maybe even master.

If anything, I am very encouraged that you dropped so few points on stage 3. That means you get to work on the relatively easy stuff to see big gains.

jar
05-02-2012, 03:44 PM
More aiming on stage 2 and faster time on stage 3.

I'm guessing the shooting on the move might be what's killing your stage 2 accuracy. If so, the key is to move as little and as smoothly as possible. You're not trying to cover any distance, so little tiny shuffle steps is the way to go. You only have to be moving when shooting. On the advancing string, it helps to take a big step or two during the draw. On the retreating string, don't start moving until just before you break the first shot.

Are the tac loads what's costing time on stage 3 or the shooting?

chuck s
05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
you are off to an excellent start as far as classifier scores go, and you have to have pretty good fundamentals to score a 139. the key will be how that translates to match scores. Moving fast is the key in my opinion, and I am not even talking about moving fast while shooting or even getting off your shots fast. I am talking about just running as fast as you can from A to B and then set up and fire. those are the easiest points to shave off and there is no excuse for not getting them. After that, tactical reloads are another key to dropping seconds off your score. If you have the chance to do a tactical reload while moving(always behind cover in IDPA) do it. I hear guys all the time saying that they only do slide lock reloads in IDPA because they fumble tac loads. Dry fire practice untill you are fast at it, it costs you nothing, same with the draw. Splits are probably the least important for non Master shooters, transitions add up pretty fast though

GOP
05-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Excellent score for your first classifier!

I shot my first classifier last week, and scored as Marksmen. Stage 3 killed me, as Stage 1 & 2 were on par with many of the experts. My accuracy was solid at distance, it was just that I was too slow at 20m. My plan is to simply shoot more stuff at distance and work on my barricade/tac reload stuff with my SIRT. Stage 1-2 will continue to improve with my regular training regiment. It is funny, because it seems that my classifier score is lower than my match ability for some reason. Does anyone else do this? I have my first major match next weekend, and I'm hoping to get bumped up to SS based on my match performance.

chuck s
05-03-2012, 09:34 AM
many shooter perform in matches above their classification level. You probably move well and the classifier is weak in that particular component.

Corey
05-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be using Jodyh's 99 drill in my practice regularly as well as some SHO and WHO and see what I can do about my score on stage 2. Local club is having another classifier in July so I can asses where the next big chunk of time can come from after that.

cutter
05-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance has a blog post (http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2012/04/training-for-idpa-classifier-stage-3.html) on training for the 3rd stage of the classifier that gives some good tips.

Striker
06-05-2012, 10:55 AM
You might these tips from useful.

http://www.ccidpa.org/classifier-tips.html

Heres another by Tim Bacus (tim38super), dated but still relevent.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=3596