PDA

View Full Version : Neck knife safety/retention

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 05:01 PM
There are certain circumstances where a neck knife might make sense for me.

My concern is having the knife pop out of the sheath, and leave me with a sharp chunk of steel floating around inside my shirt. In particular, I'd hate for that to happen when I'm carrying my 5 year old around, or in a clinch or rolling ground fight.

Any thoughts?

In particular I'm looking at the CRKT SPEW. (https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Fixed-Blade-Knife-Sheath/dp/B006SK0SP8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=crkt+spew&qid=1578520604&sr=8-3)

I don't think in this application I need to worry too much about fancy steel, so I'm ok going low dollar UNLESS I need to spend more to get something with a sheath that will hold onto the knife.

Anybody have a problem with a neck knife coming out during rigorous activity?

BehindBlueI's
01-08-2020, 05:05 PM
I wear this little guy at work: https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Minimalist-Bowie-Neck-Knife/dp/B0030IT76C/ I bought it back in March of 2016 per Amazon.

I replaced the paracord with a regular dog tag chain. I'd rather have something that breaks if I'm going to have it around my neck. I've had a few wrestling matches, laid on the ground, etc. and it's never came loose.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 05:05 PM
As soon as I posted this, I realized I've been thinking of buying an ESEE Izula for a while, and it is also suitable for neck carry.

Any thoughts on that one?

JHC
01-08-2020, 05:17 PM
After spydercomonkey explained this one I got one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XB2LBQN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's sheath is very secure with a tab/lever one has to press to disengage the "lock" and pull the knife.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 05:25 PM
Thank you both.

runcible
01-08-2020, 05:31 PM
Neck knives can be troublesome to access in-entanglement, and require a cord or chain of sufficient tensile strength to overcome their retention.

On the first, they move around quite a bit, even when you're not connected to another human being. The first part of tool access is thus finding it and gripping it appropriately. Imperfect drawstrokes with a locked+neutral wrist may also present concerns with the edge and one's own body; and a perfect and straight downward drawstroke may not be feasible in-extremis. (A reverse-edged knife, like a flat-handled Clinch Pick does alleviate some of that latter concern.) Setting the sheath and exposed handle to rest between the pecs and across the xiphoid process is beneficial to concealment, but requires quite the dive under the cover garment in order to access; but at the other end, running it low enough to reduce that presents for a greater range of swinging.

While it's perhaps more a military concern than that of Dom-LE\earth-people, the snag\strangulation issue still floats in the back of my mind. Dog-tag chain will alleviate those concerns but more than likely snap when attempting to draw a knife with the retention normal to inverted carry. Badge chain or 550 cord won't, but raises other concerns when working in confined or industrial spaces.

I do think that inverted sheaths that are directly attached to concealed armor vests or to an under-shirt suspender make the concept more viable.

From the stand-up, it's relatively easy for the sheath to be pinned between the self and the opponent, even in a dominant position; and access would thus require compromising that in some way in order to access it. When grounded, the ability of a neck knife to really wander and change in orientation really starts to show itself as a concern - even before finding one's self in a more compromised position. Without gravity taking the slack out of the chain, the knife could be floating about anywhere within the reach of the chain and the limits of the overgarment.

Totem Polar
01-08-2020, 05:32 PM
After spydercomonkey explained this one I got one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XB2LBQN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's sheath is very secure with a tab/lever one has to press to disengage the "lock" and pull the knife.

The designer was solid. You know the original working name, yes?

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Neck knives can be troublesome to access in-entanglement, and require a cord or chain of sufficient tensile strength to overcome their retention.

On the first, they move around quite a bit, even when you're not connected to another human being. The first part of tool access is thus finding it and gripping it appropriately. Imperfect drawstrokes with a locked+neutral wrist may also present concerns with the edge and one's own body; and a perfect and straight downward drawstroke may not be feasible in-extremis. (A reverse-edged knife, like a flat-handled Clinch Pick does alleviate some of that latter concern.) Setting the sheath and exposed handle to rest between the pecs and across the xiphoid process is beneficial to concealment, but requires quite the dive under the cover garment in order to access; but at the other end, running it low enough to reduce that presents for a greater range of swinging.

While it's perhaps more a military concern than that of Dom-LE\earth-people, the snag\strangulation issue still floats in the back of my mind. Dog-tag chain will alleviate those concerns but more than likely snap when attempting to draw a knife with the retention normal to inverted carry. Badge chain or 550 cord won't, but raises other concerns when working in confined or industrial spaces.

I do think that inverted sheaths that are directly attached to concealed armor vests or to an under-shirt suspender make the concept more viable.

From the stand-up, it's relatively easy for the sheath to be pinned between the self and the opponent, even in a dominant position; and access would thus require compromising that in some way in order to access it. When grounded, the ability of a neck knife to really wander and change in orientation really starts to show itself as a concern - even before finding one's self in a more compromised position. Without gravity taking the slack out of the chain, the knife could be floating about anywhere within the reach of the chain and the limits of the overgarment.

I completely agree.

And...

Much like a J-frame or other pocket pistol is a compromise that is dictated by circumstances, a neck knife isn't my first (or even second) preference for a way to carry a defensive knife, but sometimes its a good choice when all the other factors are considered.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 05:38 PM

I don't know the original working name, but would be keen to know.

The more I'm looking at my options, the more the ARK might be the one.

RoyGBiv
01-08-2020, 05:44 PM
I've owned the SPEW for about 2 years. I don't wear it much (more of a letter opener / box cutter for me) but I do like the neck lanyard it comes with and find the retention good as well. Snug but not so tight that the lanyard adjustment is affected when I pull the knife out. I've worn it around the garage, chores around the house a bunch, but never in a clinch.

FWIW.

blues
01-08-2020, 05:45 PM
There are certain circumstances where a neck knife might make sense for me.

My concern is having the knife pop out of the sheath, and leave me with a sharp chunk of steel floating around inside my shirt. In particular, I'd hate for that to happen when I'm carrying my 5 year old around, or in a clinch or rolling ground fight.

Any thoughts?

In particular I'm looking at the CRKT SPEW. (https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Fixed-Blade-Knife-Sheath/dp/B006SK0SP8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=crkt+spew&qid=1578520604&sr=8-3)

I don't think in this application I need to worry too much about fancy steel, so I'm ok going low dollar UNLESS I need to spend more to get something with a sheath that will hold onto the knife.

Anybody have a problem with a neck knife coming out during rigorous activity?

I've been wearing neck knives daily for over 20 years. The only ones that ever threatened to come out were in poorly formed sheathes to begin with.

I've run with them, tackled and arrested folks in need of same and never had an issue.

I do not run paracord except through the holes in the sheath to keep the bead chain from clicking.

You want something, as BBI said, that will break away if you get hung up somehow, or someone tries to strangle you with the necklace.

Neck knives are awesome and a great piece of kit.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 05:46 PM
I've been wearing neck knives daily for over 20 years. The only ones that ever threatened to come out were in poorly formed sheathes to begin with.

I've run with them, tackled and arrested folks in need of same and never had an issue.

I do not run paracord except through the holes in the sheath to keep the bead chain from clicking.

You want something, as BBI said, that will break away if you get hung up somehow, or someone tries to strangle you with the necklace.

Neck knives are awesome and a great piece of kit.

Thank you. Which models are you running?

Totem Polar
01-08-2020, 05:47 PM
I don't know the original working name, but would be keen to know.

The more I'm looking at my options, the more the ARK might be the one.

"Anti-Rape Knife." Designed as a counter-assault knife wearable in showers. From there, I believe Spyderco went with "Always Ready" and some dealers in the know still use "Active Resistance."

At any rate, the initial impetus way back in the day was incidences of sexual assault in .mil.

blues
01-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Thank you. Which models are you running?

Mine are all pretty much custom knives. I have worn an ESEE Izula I was gifted by Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin years ago, but haven't lately.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 05:51 PM
Mine are all pretty much custom knives. I have worn an ESEE Izula I was gifted by Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin years ago, but haven't lately.

Cool.

Also, next time you need to mod a chain to keep it from clicking, heat shrink tubing and a hair dryer might help you out.

blues
01-08-2020, 05:54 PM
Cool.

Also, next time you need to mod a chain to keep it from clicking, heat shrink tubing and a hair dryer might help you out.

If you just cut a small piece of paracord and pull out the inner strands it makes a quick and dirty tunnel for the chain. Plus it can still slide.

Never tried the heat shrink tubing but will bear it in mind. I've got plenty of paracord lying around, though.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 05:57 PM
"Anti-Rape Knife." Designed as a counter-assault knife wearable in showers. From there, I believe Spyderco went with "Always Ready" and some dealers in the know still use "Active Resistance."

At any rate, the initial impetus way back in the day was incidences of sexual assault in .mil.

I spend a portion of every workday trying to help people who were sexually assaulted in the military. This makes me want to buy one for myself, and a case to send to a deployed unit.

runcible
01-08-2020, 06:14 PM
I completely agree.

And...

Much like a J-frame or other pocket pistol is a compromise that is dictated by circumstances, a neck knife isn't my first (or even second) preference for a way to carry a defensive knife, but sometimes its a good choice when all the other factors are considered.

We've all got to dress and walk in the manner that our way of life has set forth; I get it. If you're comfortable in the sharing, how do you generally dress during the periods when a neck knife is most viable or out-competing other options?

JHC
01-08-2020, 06:30 PM

I do not!!! ETA saw the answer above. I knew the backstory, not the name

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 06:34 PM
We've all got to dress and walk in the manner that our way of life has set forth; I get it. If you're comfortable in the sharing, how do you generally dress during the periods when a neck knife is most viable or out-competing other options?

I have a really dichotomous existence.

Most of the time I work from home on a rural property on the border of a national forest. When I'm not at my desk during work hours, its not unusual to see me toting a .357, a lever action, or a sheath knife. Sometimes all three.

When I go into my office, I'm in a "go to Federal prison" NPE, so I carry nothing there.

Where the neck knife comes into play is we are homeschooling our daughter, so we often find ourselves at functions and places in Portland and Seattle like museums that are "soft" NPEs, and even so much as a folder visibly clipped to a pocket make me stand out among the "progressive crowd." That's J-frame territory, and I'm wondering if a neck knife might have a place there as well.

blues
01-08-2020, 06:38 PM
I have a really dichotomous existence.

Most of the time I work from home on a rural property on the border of a national forest. When I'm not at my desk during work hours, its not unusual to see me toting a .357, a lever action, or a sheath knife. Sometimes all three.

When I go into my office, I'm in a "go to Federal prison" NPE, so I carry nothing there.

Where the neck knife comes into play is we are homeschooling our daughter, so we often find ourselves at functions and places in Portland and Seattle like museums that are "soft" NPEs, and even so much as a folder visibly clipped to a pocket make me stand out among the "progressive crowd." That's J-frame territory, and I'm wondering if a neck knife might have a place there as well.

You have nothing to lose by trying, especially at CRKT prices. Even if you decide it doesn't fit a lot of your needs, you'll probably find a number of needs it does around the home, garage, property etc. Give it a shot. If you don't like it, give it away here on the forum and I'll reimburse you the cost.

BehindBlueI's
01-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Depending on your build and mode of dress you might find even a small neck knife isn't particularly concealed, especially as it moves.

BillSWPA
01-08-2020, 07:02 PM
The biggest issue I have had with neck knives is the ball chain becoming visible. This has happened even under button front shirts with button down collars.

I also thread the ball chain through a 6-7 inch section of hollowed out paracord and put that paracord between the chain and sheath to prevent clicking.

Retention of the knife in the sheath has never been an issue.

I have also never had anyone question a knife clipped to my pocket, even when carrying one that stands out like a fart in church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caballoflaco
01-08-2020, 07:03 PM
I would not recommend the izula with stock injection molded sheath as a neck knife. I carried one “semi-Mexican” carry at work “landscaping” aiwb, with the sheath tethered to my belt via para cord. When outside the pants the knife is inverted in the sheath, which would happen sometimes if I was involved in a project where I was using the knife much.
I no longer own the knife because the last time it fell out of the sheath and into the etheric

Honestly I don’t miss it much as I tired quickly of the maintenance the softer heat treat and corrosion prone high-carbon steel required for what I was using it for at the time.

One option I do like for npe’s is a folding knife tucked into the waistband so that the clip is hidden behind the zipper flap and belt buckle. I’ve used this a lot and nobody has ever noticed the knife.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 07:08 PM
One option I do like for npe’s is a folding knife tucked into the waistband so that the clip is hidden behind the zipper flap and belt buckle. I’ve used this a lot and nobody has ever noticed the knife.

That's an option I've used a bunch as well. I'm just thinking of playing with a neck knife to see if accessing that is quicker than digging out a folder and opening it.

Thanks.

blues
01-08-2020, 07:08 PM
I would not recommend the izula with stock injection molded sheath as a neck knife. I carried one “semi-Mexican” carry at work “landscaping” aiwb, with the sheath tethered to my belt via para cord. When outside the pants the knife is inverted in the sheath, which would happen sometimes if I was involved in a project where I was using the knife much.
I no longer own the knife because the last time it fell out of the sheath and into the etheric

Honestly I don’t miss it much as I tired quickly of the maintenance the softer heat treat and corrosion prone high-carbon steel required for what I was using it for at the time.

Interesting. The two Izulas Jeff gave us needed a solid yank to withdraw from the sheath. I wonder if they changed the production after we got ours at the Blade Show 8 or 9 years ago.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 07:13 PM
That's an option I've used a bunch as well. I'm just thinking of playing with a neck knife to see if accessing that is quicker than digging out a folder and opening it.

Thanks.

Forgot to add:

I also wind up carrying the folder AIWB because there's often a J-frame in my right front pocket. You can either have a J-frame in your pocket or a knife, but not both....

As an aside, Levi 559s have pockets that are big enough for a J-frame. Is it just me or are pockets getting bigger in newer pants? Perhaps because of smart phones?

Maybe it's been that way for a while. I only buy new clothes when my wife throws my old ones away when I'm not looking.

Duces Tecum
01-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Has anybody actually needed a knife for defensive purposes?

Caballoflaco
01-08-2020, 07:15 PM
I have also never had anyone question a knife clipped to my pocket, even when carrying one that stands out like a fart in church.

Because it’s relevnat to OP’s geography and use situation:

I had the security guard at the Japanese museum in San Francisco (it’s not a large museum) notice the knife clipped in my right pocket and refuse me entry unless I left it at the security office. That was surprising to a kid from Alabama who had never been questioned about a knife clip before, luckily he was so distracted with that one I was able to get the knife that was clipped on my left pocket hidden. That was tthirteen years ago when I was younger and dumber. Now I normally don’t carry any knives clipped to my pockets.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 07:18 PM

Yes.

Lester Polfus
01-08-2020, 07:19 PM
Because it’s relevnat to OP’s geography and use situation:

I had the security guard at the Japanese museum in San Francisco (it’s not a large museum) notice the knife clipped in my right pocket and refuse me entry unless I left it at the security office. That was surprising to a kid from Alabama who had never been questioned about a knife clip before, luckily he was so distracted with that one I was able to get the knife that was clipped on my left pocket hidden. That was tthirteen years ago when I was younger and dumber. Now I normally don’t carry any knives clipped to my pockets.

I actually had a 60 year old woman try to grill me as to why I felt the need to have a 3.5" pocket knife clipped to my pocket once.

Things are different on the west coast.

blues
01-08-2020, 07:22 PM

I brandished one once to give a suspected assailant the impression that there would be easier pickings elsewhere. (I was walking across Washington Sq. Park late at night after drinking more than I should probably have in a local bar.) The individual took the message to heart and made a hard 90 degree turn.

I've also fought off an assailant with a knife. (He had the knife. Not me.) It did require a skin graft to my left index finger but that was the extent of it.

Not much to speak of.

Caballoflaco
01-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Interesting. The two Izulas Jeff gave us needed a solid yank to withdraw from the sheath. I wonder if they changed the production after we got ours at the Blade Show 8 or 9 years ago.

My understanding is the original sheaths were kydex, mine was injection molded and eventually loosened over time. Nothing a custom sheath couldn’t resolve.

Forgot to add:

I also wind up carrying the folder AIWB because there's often a J-frame in my right front pocket. You can either have a J-frame in your pocket or a knife, but not both....

As an aside, Levi 559s have pockets that are big enough for a J-frame. Is it just me or are pockets getting bigger in newer pants? Perhaps because of smart phones?

Maybe it's been that way for a while. I only buy new clothes when my wife throws my old ones away when I'm not looking.

I don’t carry folders at all and prefer aiwb weakside of a small fixed blade. Right now it’s a Becker/esee bk 21, which is the bk14 in d2 and unfortunately discontinued. I do really like the esee’s handle and this sheath offers a pivoting thumb stud for retention.

And yes, Levi’s offers what they call “tech pockets” on some of their jeans. They’re extra deep and awesome.

blues
01-08-2020, 07:33 PM
My understanding is the original sheaths were kydex, mine was injection molded and eventually loosened over time. Nothing a custom sheath couldn’t resolve.

Ours are / were injection molded. One I don't have anymore because I sent it one of our members here for his son.

The one Becker I have which is sized for neck or other carry has a handle which I consider too long. It's otherwise a nice knife. Ethan is good people.

Totem Polar
01-08-2020, 08:51 PM
I spend a portion of every workday trying to help people who were sexually assaulted in the military. This makes me want to buy one for myself, and a case to send to a deployed unit.

Right? There is a reason that J Shirley and S Owens worked so hard to get it to market.

I do not!!! ETA saw the answer above. I knew the backstory, not the name

This was open knowledge back in the pre-PF days when I was a highroad denizen. As an aside, I have a custom Sam Owens “shivver," essentially a small seax that he and John also came up with in roundabout fashion.

Totem Polar
01-08-2020, 09:00 PM

Yes.

Yes.

Give it a shot. If you don't like it, give it away here on the forum and I'll reimburse you the cost.

BehindBlueI's
01-08-2020, 09:01 PM

Personally, no. I've got several in my case files, though. My favorite being the delivery guy who carried a fixed blade and literally gutted an armed robber in a doorway. There were two more suspects who fled at the sight of their cohort holding his intestines.

Warped Mindless
01-08-2020, 09:29 PM

Yes.

Few ill mention:

1: Was attacked by an aggressive dog. He become much less aggressive when slashed by a kabar TDI.

2: Once I was staying with a friend in another state and didn't have my firearm. He was at work so I walked down to a corner store to purchase some supplies. As I was leaving I noticed a man exhibiting some pre-inicident indicators start to follow in behind me. I, in a very pronounced manner, flicked open my ZT 0350 (good size folder) and pretended to clean my finger nails. He promptly went the other way.

3: When I was 18 or so I had three guys with blunt weapons chase me into the woods threating to kill me. They were on drugs. All I had was a small slip joint folder. I remember thinking "Sure wish I had something bigger!" Luckily they didn't find me.

BillSWPA
01-08-2020, 10:41 PM
Regarding access, if you wear a tucked in shirt, a neck knife will not be as easy or fast to access as a pocket clipped folder.

I do not see them as replacing a pocket clipped folder, but there is nothing wrong with having one in addition to that folder.

Caballoflaco
01-09-2020, 12:29 AM

Yes.

1. When I was 13 or 14 I used a brandished knife (4” Case lock-back) and all the attitude I could muster to prevent a dude from kidnapping me.

There were two other times where sketchy folks sizing me up decided to leave when they saw me get “something” out of my pocket.

That Guy
01-12-2020, 03:32 AM

This is just an idea I got reading your post, but would carrying a fixed blade in a pocket make sense to you in those circumstances? No telltale clip, and it would perhaps move about a bit less than a neck knife?

Hambo
01-12-2020, 07:29 AM
I wear this little guy at work: https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Minimalist-Bowie-Neck-Knife/dp/B0030IT76C/ I bought it back in March of 2016 per Amazon.

I replaced the paracord with a regular dog tag chain. I'd rather have something that breaks if I'm going to have it around my neck. I've had a few wrestling matches, laid on the ground, etc. and it's never came loose.

I prefer paracord to chain, but I put a knot in it that will come apart. Tie both ends of the cord securely to the sheath. Then cut the cord wherever you want the knot to be. Put a bend in one end of the cord, and tie half of a fisherman's knot around it with the other end. It's secure enough to wear, but will pull apart under pressure.

blues
01-12-2020, 09:11 AM
This is just an idea I got reading your post, but would carrying a fixed blade in a pocket make sense to you in those circumstances? No telltale clip, and it would perhaps move about a bit less than a neck knife?

I've done that several times using a piece of paracord as a static line connected to the sheath. Grab handle, pull out of pocket and knife releases from sheath which dangles from the tether. Works well for retention or tactical use. Otherwise just a small fixed blade in pocket sheath will work as well when a static line is not desirable.

Warped Mindless
01-12-2020, 10:18 AM
Anytime I want a small, easy to hide, yet effective knife on me all day and want to forget its there, I use my Hideaway Knife. Love my little HAK.

I believe Craig used to promote these a long time ago before he developed the clinch pick.

runcible
01-13-2020, 10:39 AM

Thanks.

Especially if you try with the Spyderco ARK or anything similarly sheathed - would you happen to have some paracord or similar cordage available, as well as a small keychain buckle or similar closure?

Lester Polfus
01-13-2020, 11:27 AM
Especially if you try with the Spyderco ARK or anything similarly sheathed - would you happen to have some paracord or similar cordage available, as well as a small keychain buckle or similar closure?

Oh yeah. I've got a box full of stuff like that. I'm going to order an ARK next week, and I'll commence playing with it.

runcible
01-13-2020, 12:30 PM
Ok! I'll grab a similarly setup sheath and some materials when I'm back in the shop and post you an option that might give you a better wear-option with minimal cost-increase.

You'll need probably about 72" of gutted 550 cord, and a 3/8"-3/4" side-release buckle with an integrated triglide on one kf the sides.

runcible
01-13-2020, 07:36 PM

I'd recommend to start with ***9' of gutted 550 cord. That's a Cobra FM buckle, but it's overkill for what you need, I just found it first before any of the 1/2" and 3/4" polymer SR buckles that I know that I have laying about.

Girth hitch the 550 cord through the non-adjusting buckle first, and add additional wraps and routing so that the cordage doesn't slip back and forth through the gate.

Route the free ends of the cordage through eyelets on one side of the sheath from the front side towards the back side, then run them straight across to the opposing eyelets on the far side, routing them from back side to front side.

Stretch the free ends out straight, cross them over so that the bottom strand is now the top strand and vice versa, feed them through the buckle's first gate (nearest to the attaching segment) from back side to front side, and then back through the second gate from front side to back side.

Knot the free ends together.

Don the sheath by slipping the appropriate arm between the cordage nearest the sheath and pass the free end (with captive buckle) to the opposite hand, twist the buckle once (creating the X across the shoulder blades) and pass that hand between the strands feeding into the floating buckle, and close the buckle. Adjust tension to reach the desired snugness and ride-height.

Preferred rideheight places the sheath between the pectoral muscles and in the natural cleft between their fullest measurement, generally overriding the xiphoid process. If female, adjust slightly lower so that the upper reaches of the sheath overlaps onto the bridge connecting a bra's individual cups (if applicable), but not so high that the sheath is climbing the negative slope beneath each cup. The lower strands, as worn, should ride beneath the pectoral muscle and\or cups of the bra.

Trim the free ends as appropriate, for neatness and reduced printing.

A 1/2" side-release buckle would probably be the best pairing with 550 cord being ~1/4" in width when laying flat.

---

All of this is not nearly so convenient to don as a neck knife, but would alleviate the choking and wandering concerns. I still think it'd work best with a pikal sort of knife, but can appreciate the cost-increase that goes with that.

BillSWPA
01-13-2020, 08:02 PM
The harness in the above post is a nice idea. My only concern would be someone feeling the cord if they happen to touch he wearer’s back.

runcible
01-13-2020, 08:03 PM
Were cost not the reality and limiter that it is, and if I had to run one of these full time (which I don't expect to be the case), I'd want something resembling one of the following:

Flat-Wrapped Clinch Pick (whether Ban Tang or a customized China Pick, design by Craig Douglas)
https://www.blacksheepwarrior.com/ban-tang-custom-clinch-pick-review/

Joe Watson's CT-P
https://www.monkeyedge.com/Joe-Watson-CT-Pikal-Single-Edge-Blackout-CPM3V-p/jwk0198-mw773.htm

Overwatch Precision and Special Circumstances collaboration Maleficus
https://overwatchprecision.com/SR

Flat, edged sufficient to make cutting one's self on the drawstroke much less likely, and sufficiently shaped and edged for what may be required.

1/2" SR Buckles:
https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Webbing-Paracord-Bracelet-Backpack/dp/B075ZM2QBG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=1%2F2%22+buckle&qid=1578963865&sr=8-3