PDA

View Full Version : VA SB 353 targets outdoor shooting ranges

HCM
01-08-2020, 02:07 PM
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding in Article 3 of Chapter 12 of Title 18.2 a section numbered 18.2-511.2 as follows:

§ 18.2-511.2. Outdoor shooting ranges; prohibited adjacent to residential areas; exceptions; civil penalty.

A. As used in this section, "outdoor shooting range" means any partially enclosed or unenclosed area or facility designed for the use of rifles, shotguns, pistols, silhouettes, skeet, trap, black powder, or any other similar sport shooting.

B. It is unlawful to operate an outdoor shooting range within 500 yards of any property zoned for residential use unless the Range Design Criteria developed by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Health, Safety and Security have been met.

C. Any person who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of not less than $1,000 nor more than $100,000 for the initial violation and $5,000 per day for each day of violation thereafter.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+SB353

Hambo
01-08-2020, 02:09 PM
All of these threads added up sound like total war.

HCM
01-08-2020, 02:15 PM
All of these threads added up sound like total war.

It doesn’t specify commercial ranges so this could be interpreted to prohibit shooting on your own land since your own home would normally be zoned residential.

CG12
01-08-2020, 02:17 PM
Would this prohibit an individual from shooting on their own land? Currently you are supposed to be back from the road by a certain date anyone, shooting into a berm or something similar. Are they going to call your property a shooting range if you do recreational shooting in the back yard?

Hambo
01-08-2020, 02:55 PM
It doesn’t specify commercial ranges so this could be interpreted to prohibit shooting on your own land since your own home would normally be zoned residential.

To me, part B looks like the opposite of range protection acts. Home, public, or private, if it doesn't meet specs and is within 500 yards of residential zoned property, it's done.

mtnbkr
01-08-2020, 05:02 PM
This might kill the Arlington-Fairfax IWLA as it's literally surrounded by residential properties (who would love to get ride of the club that existed before any of them).

I can see it affecting Fairfax County's Trap & Skeet fields at Bull Run park. Potentially Clark Brothers out in Warrenton. This could kill every outdoor range within driving distance of where I live. The other bill would kill the NRA HQ Range and possibly Elite in Manassas.

I could be left without a place to shoot within an hour of me. :mad:

Chris

trailrunner
01-08-2020, 05:08 PM
This might kill the Arlington-Fairfax IWLA as it's literally surrounded by residential properties (who would love to get ride of the club that existed before any of them).

I can see it affecting Fairfax County's Trap & Skeet fields at Bull Run park. Potentially Clark Brothers out in Warrenton. This could kill every outdoor range within driving distance of where I live. The other bill would kill the NRA HQ Range and possibly Elite in Manassas.

Chris

May also affect Fairfax Rod and Gun Club in PW County.

mtnbkr
01-08-2020, 05:13 PM
May also affect Fairfax Rod and Gun Club in PW County.

Good point. I forgot about them even though they're closer than anyone else (including Elite). Unfortunately I'm too much of a #poorfag (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=poorfag) to join.

Chris

Tensaw
01-08-2020, 05:26 PM

I think that is the point. :mad:

mtnbkr
01-08-2020, 05:29 PM
I think that is the point. :mad:

Well...yeah.

Chris

Kyle Reese
01-08-2020, 06:14 PM
The Democrats have the numbers to ram through and and all of this proposed legislation. I see them getting more bold and brazen as we get closer to Lobby Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blues
01-08-2020, 06:32 PM
The Democrats have the numbers to ram through and and all of this proposed legislation. I see them getting more bold and brazen as we get closer to Lobby Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it may be time to bring in the Iranians...make the Dems an offer they can't refuse.

Warped Mindless
01-08-2020, 09:14 PM
Man, between this and the other 5000 antigun laws being proposed, Im glad I don't live in VA. I give it.10 years before every state is dealing with this crap though.