PDA

View Full Version : TLR-8 AG as red dot companion

GJM
01-07-2020, 11:54 PM
I recently received a TLR-8 AG (https://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-tlr-8ag-weapon-light-green-laser-500-lumens-low-switch), which is the Streamlight light laser combination with the improved switching. This seems like the ideal light for an EDC red dot, based on size, performance, the ability to differentiate between your red dot and the laser, and the laser advantages of an alternate aiming system. Tony at JM made the holster for it.

SoCalDep
01-08-2020, 12:36 AM
I got a TLR-7A in December and I’m really impressed for a CCW/off-duty WML. I got an interim holster, but I think I need a JMCK. I’m getting familiar with my Setup (M&P 2.0 CORE, RM06, TLR-7A, and holster) and I’m looking forward to running the dot on and off duty.

I think our “red dot” talk is going to get interesting after January and SHOT.

YVK
01-08-2020, 07:36 AM
I recently received a TLR-8 AG (https://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-tlr-8ag-weapon-light-green-laser-500-lumens-low-switch), which is the Streamlight light laser combination with the improved switching. This seems like the ideal light for an EDC red dot, based on size, performance, the ability to differentiate between your red dot and the laser, and the laser advantages of an alternate aiming system. Tony at JM made the holster for it.

Closed emitter RDS, check.
Laser light. Check.
Magwell. Check.

You're very tactical operstor today.

Seriously though, do a pic from backstrap prospective aiming towards the muzzle. I have organically disliked pistol lights and AIWB because everything I've seen so far has had notable gaps between holster and trigger guard area to allow for the light's passage. Maybe this tlr thing is narrow enough. For appendix holsters I dont want any gaps there.

GJM
01-08-2020, 08:49 AM
Closed emitter RDS, check.
Laser light. Check.
Magwell. Check.

You're very tactical operstor today.

Seriously though, do a pic from backstrap prospective aiming towards the muzzle. I have organically disliked pistol lights and AIWB because everything I've seen so far has had notable gaps between holster and trigger guard area to allow for the light's passage. Maybe this tlr thing is narrow enough. For appendix holsters I dont want any gaps there.

No room for even your little finger.

YVK
01-08-2020, 09:07 AM
Don't underestimate me. I am professionally trained to get into tight spaces.

Lil fingers dont worry me, T-shirts do. This one looks better than most.

1Rangemaster
01-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Nice setup, GJM. How do you like the “high switch”? I had the first generation switch on my TLR8G, and dismounted that unit for the 7 with a high switch. Looks like I need to spend some more money...
YVK: maybe we need to reintroduce that old TLG term, “Phrasing...”(from Archer).:)
As a point of information, the Perun holster will accept this setup-19w/ACRO and TLR8. I ran that first gen 8 in that holster.
I wish/hope Tenicor responds to the 8.

GJM
01-08-2020, 05:29 PM
I like the high switch.

Zeroed it and shot it at the range today. Green laser was bright enough to see at 25 yards in bright sun. Love the TLR-8 AG!

Tony Mayer
01-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Guys, we think the TLR 7A and 8A (especially the 8AG, it's awesome for color blind people like me) are the best ccw lights out there right now and are going to be offering more of them for more pistols in our Quick Ship section within the next month!!

Bergeron
01-08-2020, 06:58 PM
I’m following this thread with great interest.

I had myself a pair of Roland Specials made up, but didn’t want to tote a X300. I liked the green laser/light combo of the Crimson Trace rail-mount unit, but there are basically zero quality options for holsters including that light.

I am very interested in the TLR-8 AG and would love to be able to team it with a quality holster.

Sero Sed Serio
01-08-2020, 11:50 PM
When I first saw the LASD M&P with X300 and Crimson Trace grips I remember thinking it was a brilliant setup for a duty weapon; this setup for a CCW gun gave me the same feeling--three sighting systems, two of which allow for target focus, and the laser immediately available if the optic dies in a way that makes the BUIS unusable? This really feels like the thinking man's CCW setup.

I have a couple of G19 Gen. 5 MOS guns waiting for an optic. I'm pretty much committed to the ACRO, but waiting for SHOT just to see if there are any upgrades to hopefully address battery life. After seeing GJM's posts on this, I'm planning to add the TLR-8AG to the mix.

As for holsters, I already had concerns that my (otherwise excellent) JMCK Wing Claw was going to push the optic out too far in exchange for pushing the grip in, so I was already thinking of the George as the best option. My only change will be to swap the clip for fixed soft loops.

Very interested to see GJM's additional thoughts on this setup, but I'm pretty much sold already.

CWE
01-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know if the TLR-8 AG will fit Safariland duty holsters that fit TLR-1's / red dots?

I wouldn't carry it on duty but, having it fit an OWB I already own would be awesome for the range.

Gio
01-13-2020, 03:14 PM
Does anyone know if the TLR-8 AG will fit Safariland duty holsters that fit TLR-1's / red dots?

I wouldn't carry it on duty but, having it fit an OWB I already own would be awesome for the range.

They will not fit by only a slight amount where the laser is on the light housing. The TLR7A will fit though.

Gio
01-13-2020, 03:15 PM
Guys, we think the TLR 7A and 8A (especially the 8AG, it's awesome for color blind people like me) are the best ccw lights out there right now and are going to be offering more of them for more pistols in our Quick Ship section within the next month!!

Tony,

Will a TLR-7 fit with no excessive movement or wobble in a holster made for a TLR-8? Thanks!

Tony Mayer
01-14-2020, 03:32 PM
Tony,

Will a TLR-7 fit with no excessive movement or wobble in a holster made for a TLR-8? Thanks!

Gio, it has a little play (maybe a 1/16", if that). I have a video of it but cannot get it to load here for some reason. If you want to text me your number at 775-686-8431 I can send you the video.

Thanks

Padwan
01-20-2020, 07:01 AM
GJM slight thread drift but what BUIS are on your G19.4? Agency mag well?

rob_s
01-20-2020, 07:03 AM
I have one of these en route based on your suggestion, but mine will be going on my PCC for house-critter control. Should be here this week, I'd think. Anxious to see how it works out. Might get a second for the house-critter suppressed .22 pistol as well.

GJM
01-20-2020, 07:28 AM
GJM slight thread drift but what BUIS are on your G19.4? Agency mag well?

Ameriglo GL-452

JHC
01-20-2020, 07:35 AM
It's a known thing that to gain unconscious competence running a RDS takes focused practice with them. Does running a laser require the same?

Say shoot through a USPSA stage with a laser as one would with an RDS?

Or is the use case substantially different?

GJM
01-20-2020, 07:43 AM
It's a known thing that to gain unconscious competence running a RDS takes focused practice with them. Does running a laser require the same?

Say shoot through a USPSA stage with a laser as one would with an RDS?

Or is the use case substantially different?

You need to figure out how to zero a laser (I like a parallel as opposed to an intersecting zero, especially with an offset laser like this), but then it is much easier to use a laser than a dot. With a laser, I generally use my sights or optic as primary, but if I see the laser use it, assuming offset is not a consideration. During the day a laser is generally slower than sights but in the dark it is an easy switch, especially for shooting on the move. The LE guys can discuss the tactics considerations of a laser.

Gio
01-30-2020, 11:26 AM
They will not fit by only a slight amount where the laser is on the light housing. The TLR7A will fit though.

To update this statement, I've found the answer is the TLR8 will sometimes fit an ALS holster designed for an X300U or TLR1. The older style ALS holsters with the screw on the back side for retention adjustment on the light WILL fit the TLR8 if you back the screw way out. The newer style two piece injection molded style holsters like the 7TS WILL NOT fit the TLR8.

UNM1136
02-08-2020, 01:33 PM
I have been using lasers on duty and teaching guns since '04, and I also strongly prefer a parallel zero. CT has gotten most of my money in ths past, and now that I am back to a Glock for the first time in 25 or so years this thread got me thinking. Gen4 G-17 with 3.25 RMR06 and my issue TRL-1s. Was going to do grip mods so the CT is out. This thread has me thinking. I would really prefer a laser between the boreline and the light if only to reduce standoff. Then there is holster issues. I may just pick up a green Lasermax guide rod and call it a wash. It also will allow me to maintain the laser capability when I remove the light for plain clothes/off duty.

I will be thinking on this and referencing this thread often between now and July 1 when I get my uniform allowance.

pat

Eric_L
02-25-2020, 01:17 PM
https://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-tlr-8ag-flex-weapon-light-green-laser-500-lumens-high-low-switch

12% off an already reasonable price with “SAVE12” coupon code. It is in a banner on their website at the top.

LittleLebowski
02-25-2020, 02:34 PM
https://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-tlr-8ag-flex-weapon-light-green-laser-500-lumens-high-low-switch

12% off an already reasonable price with “SAVE12” coupon code. It is in a banner on their website at the top.

Excellent find.

1Rangemaster
02-25-2020, 02:40 PM
Reference the OP, I have just put together a Gen5G19MOS w/ACRO and TLR8AG mounted. Weight, loaded, is 2.2 pounds. I got an excellent holster from Tony at JM Custom, and I do believe this will be my general concealed, “off duty” setup. I have the privilege of being able to use a department indoor range singly before and after business hours, lunch, etc. I’m going to work in reduced light/dark circumstances for practice and evaluation. It occurs to me that with the green laser, one could do informative work out doors in the daylight. And by taking the slide off, one could run through home scenarios with the lights.
That’s all to say that if you’ve got the gear, work with it!

GJM
03-01-2020, 09:45 AM
Just received my 17 TLR-8 OWB and AIWB from Tony at JM. Excellent!

cjb1911
03-08-2020, 07:25 PM
These are $200 right now with free shipping at primary.

Keith E.
05-20-2020, 08:26 AM
Just received my 17 TLR-8 OWB and AIWB from Tony at JM. Excellent!

Just checking to see how the TLR-8 AG is holding up.

Thanks,
Keith

Doc_Glock
05-20-2020, 03:09 PM
I have a similar set up the GJM. I got a Wing Claw 2.0 holster from JMCK that works just fine.

I like having the laser and dot co witness at 25 yards. This is pretty close to a parallel zero up close with the laser and I can't really see it at 25 yards in daylight anyway.

One concern I have noted about the laser is that it seems to lose zero pretty readily. I am not sure if it is the mount, getting pushed around in the holster, pinch bolt tightness, or something internal to the light/laser. It is nice having it cowitness with the dot in order to check zero easily. As far as durability, I have about 500 rounds on the TLR 8 AG without problems. Still on the original battery and I left the laser on for an hour once accidentally.

GJM
05-26-2020, 07:36 PM
I have a similar set up the GJM. I got a Wing Claw 2.0 holster from JMCK that works just fine.

I like having the laser and dot co witness at 25 yards. This is pretty close to a parallel zero up close with the laser and I can't really see it at 25 yards in daylight anyway.

One concern I have noted about the laser is that it seems to lose zero pretty readily. I am not sure if it is the mount, getting pushed around in the holster, pinch bolt tightness, or something internal to the light/laser. It is nice having it cowitness with the dot in order to check zero easily. As far as durability, I have about 500 rounds on the TLR 8 AG without problems. Still on the original battery and I left the laser on for an hour once accidentally.

I have three green and one red TLR-8 units that are all holding zero on Glock pistols. I suspect something is wrong with your specimen.

Keith E.
05-29-2020, 06:00 AM
How many rail plates did you guys get with your TLR-8 AG? Mine came with the Univ-1 installed and four 1913 (1-4).

Thanks,
Keith

Doc_Glock
05-29-2020, 06:01 PM
I have three green and one red TLR-8 units that re all holding zero on Glock pistols. I suspect something is wrong with your specimen.

Okay I checked it and I totally screwed up. I thought I had the correct insert but did not. Had the universal in when I needed the 1913-1 for a G5G17. That is now installed and it seems to hold zero. I also installed the little lock ring.

Thanks very much.

Note to self: in the future, RTFM.

pooty
09-07-2020, 08:18 PM
one of the few places they still have them in stock & at the normal price

RancidSumo
09-13-2020, 01:32 AM
What exactly is the purpose of a visible laser with a red dot? In my mind, a red dot takes care of 90% of the utility a visible laser with iron sights. Are you all carrying a visible laser for unconventional firing positions/shooting from retention only? I’ve been looking into adding a tlr-7 or 8 to my carry gun now that I’m getting comfortable enough with RMR to carry it, but have been struggling with this question.

GJM
09-13-2020, 06:58 AM
What exactly is the purpose of a visible laser with a red dot? In my mind, a red dot takes care of 90% of the utility a visible laser with iron sights. Are you all carrying a visible laser for unconventional firing positions/shooting from retention only? I’ve been looking into adding a tlr-7 or 8 to my carry gun now that I’m getting comfortable enough with RMR to carry it, but have been struggling with this question.

A laser is an alternate aiming system if you present the pistol and the optic is inoperative, or the lens is obscured or you don’t see the dot due to a problem with your index or a non conventional shooting position.

El Cid
10-02-2020, 07:56 PM
I recently received a TLR-8 AG (https://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-tlr-8ag-weapon-light-green-laser-500-lumens-low-switch)

Sent you a PM. It says you can’t get it until you make room.

GJM
10-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Sent you a PM. It says you can’t get it until you make room.

Just did, thanks!

Default.mp3
10-02-2020, 09:26 PM
What exactly is the purpose of a visible laser with a red dot? In my mind, a red dot takes care of 90% of the utility a visible laser with iron sights. Are you all carrying a visible laser for unconventional firing positions/shooting from retention only? I’ve been looking into adding a tlr-7 or 8 to my carry gun now that I’m getting comfortable enough with RMR to carry it, but have been struggling with this question.IME, the laser can also allow you to be slightly faster because you can be a bit sloppier when shooting at large unobscured targets; think of it as a somewhat more refined version of shooting from slide index. This has been my experience shooting Steel Challenge and USPSA, having of had a laser before I even got an RDS.

GJM
10-02-2020, 09:37 PM
At night, a visible laser feels like the easy switch.

Tawadc95
10-30-2020, 03:27 PM
Any comments about Maple Leaf Firearms and Agency Arms quality would be appreciated, thanks.

Sorry guys, I thought I started a new thread.

Mike C
10-30-2020, 03:43 PM
Any comments about Maple Leaf Firearms and Agency Arms quality would be appreciated, thanks.

Sorry guys, I thought I started a new thread.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Maple Leaf does great work, turn around was fast. I got both of my slides back one week faster than expected. My experience was pre Covid FYI. Not sure what things look like at the moment.

DaBigBR
10-30-2020, 04:44 PM
I used Maple Leaf for two slides. The first was back very promptly. The second one involved outside refinishing, which took it essentially to the quoted timeframe. Prices are great, particularly with LE pricing of you are eligible, and the owner is extremely responsive. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Tawadc95
10-30-2020, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your responses guys, I signed up with them after your posts.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-05-2020, 07:46 PM
GJM we have similar tastes.

I have had this Gen 5 19 MOS for a while now and have not been carrying it. Instead opting for my Gen 5 17 MOS. I recently bought the 7A after selling my original 7 because I couldn't warm up to the switching. This version is much improved. The holster is a custom order from JMCK. Excellent as always.

The fitting is extremely nice and I am not worried about anything migrating to the trigger. A big relief compared to my duty Safariland. The large tear drop muzzle pad from V Development Group is extremely high quality but I'm still trying to figure out if it's too much of a good thing for a holster this size.