http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/3f8af7fc.jpg

Picked up a pair for $169 each.

Thoughts?

jlw
04-30-2012, 08:54 PM
And in just a day after telling me he had no use for one. LOL

jmjames
04-30-2012, 11:30 PM
I think you got a fantastic deal. If you want someone to spiffy up that furniture for you, shoot me a PM. Nothing like sanding and rubbing oil into wood to make a conference call go faster... I did almost the entire stock refinishing on my Marlin 336 this week while on hold or on calls. :D

J.Ja

VolGrad
05-01-2012, 05:29 AM

But you know that has never stopped me before. Besides, I couldn't let your guys buy up all of them. :cool:

jlw
05-01-2012, 07:46 AM
But you know that has never stopped me before. Besides, I couldn't let your guys buy up all of them. :cool:

You should have seen the line at my door of folks wanting to get them approved.

TheLaw
05-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I'll be re-working the furniture on mine. Luckily I know a guy... :)

Thanks for alerting me to them Chief.

VolGrad
05-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I think you got a fantastic deal. If you want someone to spiffy up that furniture for you, shoot me a PM. Nothing like sanding and rubbing oil into wood to make a conference call go faster... I did almost the entire stock refinishing on my Marlin 336 this week while on hold or on calls. :D

J.Ja

I appreciate the offer and will keep that in mind as I don't know a guy like TheLaw. :p

Honestly, I don't mind the wear. Mine has lots of character. I'm giving one to my dad to keep at the cabin. Bears visit them frequently. They've also had a break-in.

NickA
05-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Impulse control - I don't think it means what VolGrad thinks it means :)

Nice deal, hope they work out great.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

jlw
05-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Impulse control - I don't think it means what VolGrad thinks it means :)

Nice deal, hope they work out great.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

He adamantly told me that he had no interest in the M&P and then a week later owned three. :)

JHC
05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Please ask him for me if he has any interest in this beautiful bridge I own that connects Manhattan and Brooklyn...

I'm glad that deal wasn't local to me since I totally don't need one and totally would have bought one.

Me too! Do I recall correctly that this is considered one of the best pump guns made?

HeadHunter
05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
The 3000 is a Product Improved 870. They are excellent shotguns.

TGS
05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
$169 for one? Wow, awesome deal. I paid $260 for a police trade-in Mossberg 500. I'm definitely jealous.

peterb
05-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Nice! How easy is it to find parts for them?

That's one nice thing about the 870 and the 500/590 -- parts are easily found and inexpensive. It makes buying used ones a low-risk proposition.

VolGrad
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I haven't researched these very much other than reading a few threads/reviews here and there. I seem to recall reading some of the parts are interchangeable with the Mossberg and some might even be with the 870s. I suspect parts aren't easy to come by though otherwise given they weren't produced for very long.

I actually went in last week and looked at these and passed. It wasn't until I started reading about them and saw how everyone I knew was going nuts over them (esp at that price) that I became interested. I still resisted until I asked my dad if he wanted one. When he said yes I figured while I was there I might as well get one for me too.

Yes, the price is $169 each but they have already started popping up on the local classifies for more than that and people are going into a frenzy for them (even at the higher price). The prices I found online for them was between $200-300 in this condition, depending on location.

jlw
05-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Parts are readily available.

JAD
05-02-2012, 05:58 AM
I've enjoyed owning one for maybe 10 years; I think it was like $150 on CDNN, or something.

It's a Japanese copy of an 870, well executed. That said, some dimensions are different; I couldn't get a sidesaddle or a magazine extension to work. I took 1" off the LOP, threw on a carry strap, and drove on.

VolGrad
05-02-2012, 06:29 AM
That said, some dimensions are different; I couldn't get a sidesaddle or a magazine extension to work. I took 1" off the LOP, ...

I think I read Choate makes a tube ext that works but haven't researched it myself. I wouldn't mind an inch of the LOP on mine either but prob won't bother.

SecondsCount
05-02-2012, 07:52 AM
That is a solid deal. I have a hard time passing up shotgun deals, just picked up a 870 Wingmaster for $150 out the door. A little rough on the outside but the inside looks like it has not been shot much at all, still a little on the tight side.

The local gun shop had police trade-in 870's for $150 a few years ago. The stocks were painted bright yellow for less lethal ammo but other than that they were in great shape. I passed because I was saving up for something else.

JHC
05-02-2012, 08:01 AM
I think I read Choate makes a tube ext that works but haven't researched it myself. I wouldn't mind an inch of the LOP on mine either but prob won't bother.

I did that with a beat up Mossie 500 I found at a gunshow for $130. But I over did it. It was short and quick but it was a real bust in the lips to shoot.