PDA

View Full Version : M&P grip size

cracker
04-30-2012, 05:40 PM
I like the full sized grips on my M&P's they seem to be the most comfortable for me. I don't have big hands but the big grips just feel like the right fit and it seems I shoot the best with them. The problem comes when its time to hit the mag release, with the big grips it is a pain. it is a lot easier to find and hit the mag release with the small grip. In practicing dropping the mag I found I can hit it with my support hand easier then with my strong hand.
So I my questions are:
What hand do you use to drop the mag?
Should I practice dropping the mag with my support hand or only use my strong hand?
Do you have to lose your grip to drop the mag then re-grip?
Hope this is clearer then mud
Cracker

JV_
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Have you tried reversing the mag catch and hitting it with your trigger finger?

cracker
04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
JV
I like the way you think, sounds to simple. Are there any cons to this set up?
Thanks for the tip
Cracker

TGS
04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
JV
I like the way you think, sounds to simple. Are there any cons to this set up?
Thanks for the tip
Cracker

Try it, but see if you have the same problem as me. Every time I've tried reversed mag buttons (or ambi mag buttons), my strong hand middle finger will engage the button. If it doesn't for you, then run with it.

Personally, with buttons, I always preferred to use my support hand to hit the button. It actually works pretty slick on the Beretta 92, not so much with most other pistols.

PHPistols
04-30-2012, 07:22 PM
I assume that while shooting, you'd want the most comfortable grip possible. That is more important than using mag release button. So it sounds like stick with the grip you have.

When shooting with both hands (which is most common), it should be easy to on you last shot, use weak hand to pull front of gun up and towards you, so pistol turns in your hand. As you reach for your mag with weak hand, your strong hand should then be able to hit mag release (because you've turned the front of the gun up and back towards you).

Here is a video that shows this done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aspKTH1BYg&feature=relmfu

JV_
04-30-2012, 07:23 PM
I assume that while shooting, you'd want the most comfortable grip possible.I tend to ignore comfort and focus on performance. For me, on the M&P, they were NOT the same.

PHPistols
04-30-2012, 07:31 PM
I tend to ignore comfort and focus on performance. For me, on the M&P, they were NOT the same.

Yes, good point. But it also performs the best for him. :)

SamuelBLong
04-30-2012, 07:50 PM
I assume that while shooting, you'd want the most comfortable grip possible. That is more important than using mag release button. So it sounds like stick with the grip you have.

When shooting with both hands (which is most common), it should be easy to on you last shot, use weak hand to pull front of gun up and towards you, so pistol turns in your hand. As you reach for your mag with weak hand, your strong hand should then be able to hit mag release (because you've turned the front of the gun up and back towards you).

Here is a video that shows this done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aspKTH1BYg&feature=relmfu

I too have big hands. When I was shooting the M&P, I needed the large backstrap in order to allow for more contact area for my support hand. I ended up trying the "roll" for a while and then ultimately reversed the button.

While that "roll" technique certainly works, I think that the OP will find that reversing the mag release will allow him not to compromise the grip while performing the reload. Less shifting means less fumbles / compromise when trying to quickly re-aquire the grip and shoot quickly after the reload.

Another positive benefit to reversing the button and using your trigger finger to release the mag is that it forces you to get and keep your finger outside the trigger guard while performing the reload. Most people don't even know they're doing it until someone else watches for it and tells them.

VolGrad
04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
http://www.costaludus.com/shop/cart.cfm?cmd=view.scat&tcat=2&scat=1006

There's a thread around here where a few of us have been discussing the mag catches on the M&Pfs bs M&Pc versions.

jetfire
04-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Off the top of my head, I can think of at least three Super-Squad GM level shooters that roll the gun slightly in their hand when hitting the mag release button. It is far less of a big deal than a lot of people make it out to be.

GJM
04-30-2012, 10:14 PM
I will add that Bill Rogers shoots a small and medium grip measurably better on the M&P, and he attributes this to a more relaxed trigger finger position.

lcarr
04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
I can think of at least three Super-Squad GM level shooters that roll the gun slightly in their hand when hitting the mag release button.

Eric Grauffel said that it adds 0.05s to the reload. I have very small hands, but have removed all of the extended mag releases from my guns. They're too easy to hit when you don't want to hit them and the difference in times is almost nonexistent.

DocGKR
05-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I use the large M&P grip, but re-shape them using a Dremel. I make the large grip shorter front to back--more like the small, leave the large grip "bulge" on the weak hand side, but slim down the bulge on the strong hand side. These modifications give me an enlarged contact area with my weak hand for enhanced recoil control, but allow a better trigger reach and improved mag release.

theblacknight
05-01-2012, 07:40 PM
I run large on my 9, not sure what makes a "big" hand but I don't have to break grip or roll any for the mag btn. Running the large didnt even happen at first for prob the first 800r, then I tried it one day on target and results were better.

Gideon_459
05-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I did the same as Doc on my 9c and will soon do it on the full size once it passes new gun reliability standards. Follow up the dremel with stippling and you have a very comfortable aggressive grip for your m&p.

DocGKR
05-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Stippling should be mandatory for all M&P's.

Steve S.
05-02-2012, 10:30 PM
I use the large M&P grip, but re-shape them using a Dremel. I make the large grip shorter front to back--more like the small, leave the large grip "bulge" on the weak hand side, but slim down the bulge on the strong hand side. These modifications give me an enlarged contact area with my weak hand for enhanced recoil control, but allow a better trigger reach and improved mag release.

I did something similar - but I removed the grip tang that goes up past where it locks and up into the beavertail. From there, I smooth the "ramp" so that it conforms with the gun better. The result is a nice "hump" in the bottom of the grip. Wouldn't it be great if a gun just came with a hump at the base of the grip? ;)

I'll see if I can find it and get some pics. I put it somewhere I wouldn't lose it.... that always works well. So I've been running the Medium.

That's pretty solid thinking, Doc. I'll have to pick up some Large backstraps and try it.

10000x on the stippling. M&Ps are way too slippery out the box. Although I have somewhat different thoughts on the Shield.

jslaker
05-16-2012, 02:14 AM

Bumping because I'm actually considering doing the opposite with my M&P. :)

I'm thinking about shaving down the support side bulge of a large grip a bit. I find that I get better support hand purchase with a medium grip, but I have extremely long fingers so the large grip does a better job of positioning my strong hand index finger on the trigger. I think shaving down the support side of a large grip may allow me to exert a bit more pressure on the side of the gun and make for a stronger overall grip.

Just haven't worked up the will to hack on one yet.

JDM
05-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Bumping because I'm actually considering doing the opposite with my M&P. :)

I'm thinking about shaving down the support side bulge of a large grip a bit. I find that I get better support hand purchase with a medium grip, but I have extremely long fingers so the large grip does a better job of positioning my strong hand index finger on the trigger. I think shaving down the support side of a large grip may allow me to exert a bit more pressure on the side of the gun and make for a stronger overall grip.

Just haven't worked up the will to hack on one yet.

Don't be to hesitant to try your hand at modifying back straps...they are less than $3 each, and readily available. :)

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_90_115&products_id=778

jslaker
05-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Don't be to hesitant to try your hand at modifying back straps...they are less than $3 each, and readily available. :)

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_90_115&products_id=778

Yup. I ordered a couple of extras shortly after making that post last night.

Suvorov
05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Off the top of my head, I can think of at least three Super-Squad GM level shooters that roll the gun slightly in their hand when hitting the mag release button. It is far less of a big deal than a lot of people make it out to be.

I know Kyle Lamb mentions that he has to do this as well and it certainly doesn't seem to hurt his shooting.

Still, swapping the mag release around is an interesting idea, especially for those of us who (stupidly I know) switch between HKs (for work) and Berettas/Sigs for everything else.

As far as the M&P grips go, I oddly don't find ANY of the sizes comfortable on the same scale as I would a HighPower, Sig228, CZ or even Beretta grip. That said, when I actually shoot the thing with the medium grip, I find that the grip allows me to control the pistol very well. I guess being comfortable doesn't always equal being the best to shoot with.

jslaker
05-16-2012, 04:48 PM
I know Kyle Lamb mentions that he has to do this as well and it certainly doesn't seem to hurt his shooting.

Still, swapping the mag release around is an interesting idea, especially for those of us who (stupidly I know) switch between HKs (for work) and Berettas/Sigs for everything else.

As far as the M&P grips go, I oddly don't find ANY of the sizes comfortable on the same scale as I would a HighPower, Sig228, CZ or even Beretta grip. That said, when I actually shoot the thing with the medium grip, I find that the grip allows me to control the pistol very well. I guess being comfortable doesn't always equal being the best to shoot with.

I should note that I reverse my mag release as well. I learned to shoot on a USP and started reversing the button on my other guns a few years ago.

Also, as for comfort: the M&P medium and even small straps provide more comfortable grips for me.

I swapped back to the large backstrap for my range session this morning after posting last night. Result? More significant improvement in a single range session than I've seen across a couple of months and a couple of cases of ammo. The issues I've been having with trigger jerk essentially evaporated.

On the one hand, glad I finally figured it out. On the other hand, I feel kind of dumb for all the time spent spinning my wheels now.

jslaker
05-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Took a soldering iron to the large backstrap I had the other night. Went with a needle point at about 500F, tapping gently along, going for a fine pattern. The end result reminds me a lot of the factory stippling on my USP, though a bit more aggressive. I intentionally left the area where my strong hand index and ring fingers wrap around to the edge of the backstrap unstippled as even the smoother texturing on the grips as the ship tends to irritate my finger tips.

I got two more large backstraps in the mail from Midway today. I intend to leave one as-is as a baseline.

On the other, I'm going to try shaping down the bulge on the weak side of the backstrap where my strong hand fingers overlap to see if it'll allow me to get a flatter, more solid purchase on the side of the gun with my weak hand. Looking at my grip now, I think the overlap combined with the palm swell is causing my finger tips to push my weak hand off the side of the gun. I think by getting those fingertips flatter against the side of the gun, I'll be able to get a stronger overall grip on the firearm.

I have large-ish hands with long fingers. This wrap-around is happening even with the large backstrap and the fact that my firing grip leaves the middle knuckle of my middle finger sitting on the right outside edge of the trigger guard. I think the fairly round profile of the M&P grip plays a part here; I find I don't have issues getting a solid weak hand grip on my USP with its more square grip profile.

GooberTim
05-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Got any pics of your handiwork?

jslaker
05-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I'll see if I can dig up my camera when I get home later tonight. Shot it for the first time stippled a few minutes ago; definitely an improvement over stock.

jslaker
05-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Couldn't find the cable for my real camera. Cell phone photos will have to do.

Strong side:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57753/misc/2012-05-20_03-01-25_36.jpg

Weak side, contact area with strong side fingers left unstippled:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57753/misc/2012-05-20_03-01-35_88.jpg

I'm pleased with the end result.

EDIT:

I also left the extended beaver tail area of the large grips unstippled. Didn't really see any point in covering that. The web of my hand definitely covers it, but it's a very passive grip area, IMO.