PDA

View Full Version : HK45C Tactical

awdxtc
01-06-2020, 11:18 PM
Just picked up a new HK45CT yesterday. This is the first 45 HK since my USP that I bought about 15 years ago. People complain about the lack of grip texture but owning a P2000 I like it myself. Hopefully I'll get to put some rounds through it on monday. I ordered a flat base plate today. will order a holster on pay day.

https://i.imgur.com/Nil07y1.jpg

Spartan1980
01-07-2020, 12:28 AM
That thing is screaming for a can. I can hear it from here!

JRB
01-07-2020, 01:06 AM
Just picked up a new HK45CT yesterday. This is the first 45 HK since my USP that I bought about 15 years ago. People complain about the lack of grip texture but owning a P2000 I like it myself. Hopefully I'll get to put some rounds through it on monday. I ordered a flat base plate today. will order a holster on pay day.

https://i.imgur.com/Nil07y1.jpg

As much as my brain keeps yelling at me to just buy a pair of G5 G19's or G45's and get back to classes ASAP, my heart is longing for an HK45CT.

Seriously, put a can on it and take some pictures for us to enjoy! Did you get the V1 or V7?

awdxtc
01-07-2020, 01:15 AM
As much as my brain keeps yelling at me to just buy a pair of G5 G19's or G45's and get back to classes ASAP, my heart is longing for an HK45CT.

Seriously, put a can on it and take some pictures for us to enjoy! Did you get the V1 or V7?

I'll be ordering a rugged obsidian 45 next month. This on is v1, I'll be switching it to V7.

GJM
01-07-2020, 07:41 AM
My JM holsters for the HK45C accommodate a threaded barrel, which I like for giving you more barrel, and thus more velocity for better penetration in field pistol use.

ffhounddog
01-07-2020, 08:12 AM
My JM holsters for the HK45C accommodate a threaded barrel, which I like for giving you more barrel, and thus more velocity for better penetration in field pistol use.

I need to call back JM Custom, my holster they sent me was suppose to be a HK45C threaded and I got a non threaded in the mail.

My 45CT is shooting low, thinking of switching to an adjustable sight since mine has standard Meprolights. I like them on my HK P30SK, P30, P2000, and P2000sk but my pistol is shooting 5-6 inches low but great groups. Mine is a LEM. Maybe I have a small instead of Medium backstrap.

Olim9
01-07-2020, 09:58 AM
What’s the reasoning behind the HK45 Compact? On paper, it has a lot of negatives like capacity for a double stack and it’s the about the size of a G19. Not trying to sound antagonistic but I’ve always thought the HK45 line was interesting.

Balisong
01-07-2020, 01:27 PM
What’s the reasoning behind the HK45 Compact? On paper, it has a lot of negatives like capacity for a double stack and it’s the about the size of a G19. Not trying to sound antagonistic but I’ve always thought the HK45 line was interesting.

I don't have one, but GJM has had great reliability with .45 Super out of the HK45C. As far as I know, that's the smallest and lightest gun capable of such.

awdxtc
01-07-2020, 02:51 PM
Got to put 50 rds through it today. It's a VERY soft shooter. The only issue I have it I'm about 4 to 6 inches low and slightly right. I am pretty sure the shooting to the right is me getting used to the gun but throw is odd for me. The rear is adjustable but it does not say which way to turn the adjustment to raise the point of impact. Any help would be appreciated.

Poconnor
01-07-2020, 03:26 PM
I really liked my HK 45 compact. I never carried it much because surefire never made the promised X300 compact

gomerpyle
01-07-2020, 03:41 PM
Got to put 50 rds through it today. It's a VERY soft shooter. The only issue I have it I'm about 4 to 6 inches low and slightly right. I am pretty sure the shooting to the right is me getting used to the gun but throw is odd for me. The rear is adjustable but it does not say which way to turn the adjustment to raise the point of impact. Any help would be appreciated.

are you driving the dot or shooting off of the edge of the front sight? At least for the VP9s that I bought, I had to drive the dot.....

awdxtc
01-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Not really sure, I'm gonna try and put a few hundred rds through it this weekend

RAM Engineer
01-07-2020, 05:03 PM
I've never shot a HK45 or HK45C. Can you ride the safety like you can on a 1911? Every time I think about getting back into the HK world, I remember how my thumbs-forward grip doesn't work with those big-a$$ slide release levers they use.

awdxtc
01-07-2020, 06:13 PM
I've never shot a HK45 or HK45C. Can you ride the safety like you can on a 1911? Every time I think about getting back into the HK world, I remember how my thumbs-forward grip doesn't work with those big-a$$ slide release levers they use.

It's a little difficult honestly. I'll be switching mine to lem. On this gun it's the safety leaver that's a bit intrusive not the slide release.

TC215
01-07-2020, 06:45 PM

I was issued a USP .45, and later a USPc .45, for many years, and rode the safety just like a 1911. I never had a problem with accidentally de-cocking. YMMV.

I’ve had a couple HK45C’s and did the same thing, though I didn’t shoot them nearly as much as the USP’s.

awdxtc
01-07-2020, 06:58 PM
I wouldnt worry about decocking the gun, I dont see how it would be possible with two hands on the gun. It would have to be intentional.

TC215
01-07-2020, 07:24 PM
I wouldnt worry about decocking the gun, I dont see how it would be possible with two hands on the gun. It would have to be intentional.

It’s happened to other people while riding the safety lever. Just not me.

awdxtc
01-07-2020, 07:28 PM
I just dont see how but then again everyone's hands and grip are different. I cant force it to decock while holding the gun but then again I'm the one shooting low and right lol

awdxtc
01-13-2020, 01:11 AM
So I put about 150 rds through it today. The shooting to the right was/is my fault completely. The shooting low I think is because of how high the sights are. I forgot a screwdriver to adjust the rear sight but I think a few clicks will bring it up to poa poi. I really focused on trying to improve my trigger control. I was able to get 10 shot groups at approximately 12 to 15 yards that I could cover with my fist. For being well under 500 rounds through the gun I'm pretty happy with that.

Borderland
01-14-2020, 10:32 AM

If you think that's bad, the HK45 is a lot bigger with only a 10 rd capacity. A gun that size should have at least a 15rd capacity, right?

Just poking you a little.:D The HK45 came about as the result of the military wanting a 45 to replace the Beretta 92 around 2002. They specified 45ACP and the HK45 was the result. A lot of the design input came from Vickers and Hackathorn. The testing was canceled and the program ended.

I'm not sure what nisch the 45c is supposed to fill but the full size pistol is a pretty good duty weapon. I would rather have a compact 9mm for CC.

I have an HK45 and like it.

Gio
01-14-2020, 10:45 AM
The HK45c was always my favorite non-1911 .45.

Glock 19 size, 8 rounds, thinner slide than a USPc, better DA/SA trigger than a P2k/P30, shorter trigger reset than the P2k/P30, ability to carry cocked & locked, larger mag release than USPc, ability to take extended HK45 full size mags, 9 trigger variants compared to the 3 variants for the P2k/P30, etc.

I always wished H&K would make the same gun in 9mm rather than going down the P2k/P30 line on the 9mm side. The improvements were significant enough over the USPc series that it was just a better overall pistol.

HRoark
01-16-2020, 08:41 AM
It’s happened to other people while riding the safety lever. Just not me.

I happened to me a few times.

15 bucks or so on a new detent plate to get rid of decock altogether solved the problem.

OlongJohnson
01-16-2020, 11:38 AM
I'm still working with the DA. It's not trivial to make it what it should be. The best I can imagine may be prohibitively expensive to even try.

It has occurred to me that just running it like a double-stack, polymer, uber-reliable and relatively affordable 1911 may be a very good answer, if not the answer for everyone. Getting a good, clean SA press is not difficult.

GJM
01-16-2020, 12:12 PM
I'm still working with the DA. It's not trivial to make it what it should be. The best I can imagine may be prohibitively expensive to even try.

It has occurred to me that just running it like a double-stack, polymer, uber-reliable and relatively affordable 1911 may be a very good answer, if not the answer for everyone. Getting a good, clean SA press is not difficult.

I have messed around with the various trigger configurations, and come to the conclusion that light LEM is the best for me in the 45C.

shane45
01-16-2020, 12:34 PM
That is where I am at as well. Interestingly my light lem of my HK45CT is noticeably better then my P2K or P30. I have pondered trying one st up like a 1911, variant 9 IIRC. But if Im going to do that, a Staccato C2 starts calling my name.

Exiledviking
01-16-2020, 12:38 PM
I have messed around with the various trigger configurations, and come to the conclusion that light LEM is the best for me in the 45C.Another plus with the LEM, for me, is that I can get a little bit higher grip on the gun with the control lever gone.

GJM
01-16-2020, 01:12 PM
.45 equals field pistol for me, and that means inclement weather, gloves and possible adverse shooting positions. None of that is compatible with a thumb safety on a pistol for me.

JonInWA
01-16-2020, 01:21 PM
.45 equals field pistol for me, and that means inclement weather, gloves and possible adverse shooting positions. None of that is compatible with a thumb safety on a pistol for me.

That's a very appropriate aspect I hadn't previously considered, and it further validates my usual choices of HK (P30L V1.5 and VP40) and Glock (G22 Gen4 and 21 Gen 3) for my field defensive pistols.

I'll go further and infer it also precludes a DA/SA manual safety pistol run with the safety lever in the "off" position, as it can inadvertently be placed "on" with potentially disastrous results in a hasty encounter.

Best, Jon

GJM
01-16-2020, 01:30 PM
I have some DA/SA HK USP pistols, but I made the lever decock only and deleted the safety function. I learned this the hard way. Once I bailed out of a vehicle after a porcupine, popped it with the USP with Super, went around a tree to investigate, and when I went to fire again, got no bang. Without realizing it, my years of 1911 experience caused me to put the thumb safety on when moving,, but the thumb safety is enough different than a 1911, I didn’t take it off when I went to fire again. Replace porcupine with grizzly bear, and you could see this would have been bad. Another reason I prefer LEM is, one summer, I didn’t enough dry fire DA with the USP I strained the tendon in my trigger finger.

OlongJohnson
01-16-2020, 02:31 PM
https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Variant-3-%26-4-Detent-Plate/p/214254

SKU#214254
$6.00

3+4 Detent plate for all USP pistols.

awdxtc
01-17-2020, 04:49 PM
I think lem is the best setup for these. I'll be converting it to lem soon and will probably install the short rest kit from gray guns. If I still feel there is room for improvement I'll just send it to lazy wolf for the full treatment.

awdxtc
03-01-2020, 01:40 AM
Finally got about another 250 rounds downrange last weekend. The trigger is smoothing out pretty nicely and after finally getting the rear site adjusted I was able to get 10 sought groups about the size of a 1/2 dollar at approximately 15 to 20 meters.
I went head and ordered the light firing pin block spring from lazy wolf and installed it the other day. I do not have a trigger gauge however the trigger pull is lighter, this is especially noticeable in double action. Any stacking that I noticed is gone now. I look forward to getting back to the range and seeing what if any affect this has on my groups.

rayrevolver
05-12-2020, 06:41 PM
I was trying to sell a P226 (to offset my recent STI purchase and get more ammo) but instead traded it for a new 2019 HK45CT V7 Light LEM.

During that process I learned some things and figured I would share:

- Most importantly, the V7 is LIGHT LEM. For the longest time the HK45C/HK45CT Variant 7 was a heavy LEM. At some point they switched to light LEM and my BI date code pistol has what amounts to a very nice light LEM.

- The HK45CT frames are made in the US, not sure how long this has been a thing. The barrels are made in Germany. The slide is not marked (but I believe could be under the rear sight in the dovetail). The serial numbers do not match between the frame and barrel. There is a BI date code inside the frame and on the barrel. I don't care about number matching. I like the cheaper prices on these things nowadays and I hear that was due to some of the cost cutting.

- I didn't realize how skinny the grip would be. You can say its not a single stack but its not a double stack either. I have read people call it a 1.5 stack.

- You can get 10rd Elephant Mags for ~$34 at places like at SWFA.com

- I have never liked the sights on the P30L or the USP9T (adjustable Mep NS). This comes with suppressor sights: a night sight front and plain U-Notch rear (adjustable). From my quick handling at the FFL they are exactly what I want. I just need to paint the front blade orange and I am good.

- Sadly, this thing is going to sit because I want to focus on getting rounds through the Staccato P. But once I do shoot, I have an Obsidian 45 to screw on. I have 850 rounds of 45ACP ammo that I have carried around the country since 2006. Once I go through that I will come to a decision point: Sell the HK or buy more 45ACP.

Cyberpunk1981
05-12-2020, 08:58 PM
These are truly one of my favorite handguns. They are surely my favorite flavor of .45 ACP handgun except for the fullsize HK45.

rayrevolver
06-16-2020, 03:48 PM
I brought this to the range a few times to see whats what. 150 rounds of WWB, no issues, using 4 Elephant Foot mags. I will plan to continue shooting this until my WWB stash is gone, so another 750 rounds to go.

I am very impressed with the bone stock V7 Light LEM trigger. My last USP9T I installed the Hybrid Match LEM and my unreliable memory says the V7 is comparable. I have been trying to go full-reset and not "bump hump" the trigger. Lots to work on and I sometimes prep the trigger on the first round but sometimes do a press from a fully reset position. I will throw some rounds low-ish but in general I have been happy with my LEM progress and my perceived speed with multiple shots.

The gun with and without the Elephant Foot (EF) mags feels very different. When I first got it home, my dry fire regiment did not include having a magazine inserted. BUT the EF bumps against my pinky and maybe affects my recoil control in a positive way?

There is a lot more recoil compared to the Staccato P 9mm (duh) but I am still happy with the cadence of doubles I have been trying.

Again, the stock sights NS front with a plain, wide U-notch rear are great!

This is a picture from the 25 yard freestyle thread, from my first range session. This is a B-3 Target (smaller than B-8) and that high round off the target I don't think was from this group of 10. Eitherway, I think this pistol is probably very accurate in good hands!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49957686787_206bec2ee4_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2j7AcMn)

Next session I plan to start with this HK45C and try to get a good group at 25 yards.

Glamour shot... and so far zero rounds through Mr Obsidian. I am in the suppressed pistols are silly camp but need to at least try this out.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50013417793_96d99cb795_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jcvQEM)

rayrevolver
05-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Just a heads up. Saw on HKPro that Streamlight just released a "TLR-7 SUB" that comes with a 1913 rail that fits the HK45C.

Sensei
05-27-2021, 02:24 PM
I have messed around with the various trigger configurations, and come to the conclusion that light LEM is the best for me in the 45C.

You and me both...

My HK45 Compact had a 15lb DA trigger pull when it came out of the box...15 friggen pounds. Not only that, the pull was so long that Ron Jeremy must have been on the design team. Moreover, the trigger weight stacked with the pull broke waaay back near the frame. It was almost impossible for me to keep the front sight steady during the entire tigger pull if I had been shooting any other platform for any length of time.

The light LEM made it much, much better. However, I am still significantly faster and more accurate with my G30...