PDA

View Full Version : French Military Adopts Glock 17

HCM
01-06-2020, 09:26 PM
http://soldiersystems.net/2020/01/07/french-army-announces-adoption-of-fn-scar-h-pr/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The French Armed forces are adopting a variant of the Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS to replace all current military service pistols, including the MAC 1950 and the G1, a domestically produced Beretta 92 variant. The new French service pistol has an FDE colored frame, threaded barrel, front cocking serrations, suppressor height night sights and is cut for the Glock MOS modular optic mounting system.

The French Army also adopted a SCAR-H precision variant as their new 7.62x51 sniper rifle, replacing the F2 bolt action rifle.

HeavyDuty
01-06-2020, 10:52 PM
Is the thread protector to prevent crown damage when dropped?

I’ll get me coat...

Navin Johnson
01-06-2020, 11:06 PM
so.....for once we should have followed the French.

TGS
01-06-2020, 11:08 PM

I’ll get me coat...

To protect the threads from damage when not wearing a suppressor.

HCM
01-06-2020, 11:31 PM
so.....for once we should have followed the French.

The French are in the midst of a major, and long overdue overhaul of their small arms and associated gear. They are replacing the FANAS with the HK416f topped with Aimpoint Comp M5s as well as new helmets, body armor and other gear.

HCM
01-06-2020, 11:35 PM

I’ll get me coat...

This guy doesn’t think you’re funny.

Redhat
01-06-2020, 11:43 PM
What's the outgoing handgun?

Disregard...my bad

cornstalker
01-06-2020, 11:47 PM

I’ll get me coat...

I about spit on my screen. That is hilarious.

Joe in PNG
01-06-2020, 11:50 PM
So, is it in .32 French Long, or some other unobtanium cartridge?

Kanye Wyoming
I about spit on my screen. That is hilarious.

I surrendered to laughter as well.

Le Français
Glock 17s and HK416s: It’s almost like they know what they’re doing.

French SUGE transit police also recently went to the P320 (yuck, but still) from SP101s. There does seem to be a move to more modern weaponry across the board.

TGS
01-07-2020, 12:06 AM
Glock 17s and HK416s: It’s almost like they know what they’re doing.

French SUGE transit police also recently went to the P320 (yuck, but still) from SP101s. There does seem to be a move to more modern weaponry across the board.

On the police side, do you think this is driven by terrorism?

LockedBreech
01-07-2020, 12:07 AM
Their choice of platform is excellent, yet somehow they chose the ugliest possible configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
01-07-2020, 12:36 AM
So, is it in .32 French Long, or some other unobtanium cartridge?

9mm just like their last 2 handguns.

As for the rest, Wow, y’all some ignorant motherfuckers.

HeavyDuty
01-07-2020, 12:42 AM
I actually tremendously respect the French military and police, but a good stereotype tweak is just too hard to pass up. I am 25% French. Well, actually better than French - Breton.

Duelist
01-07-2020, 12:55 AM
I actually tremendously respect the French military and police, but a good stereotype tweak is just too hard to pass up. I am 25% French. Well, actually better than French - Breton.

My dog is all Breton. ;)

JRB
01-07-2020, 01:12 AM
I share a chow hall with some French Army folks out here. They're fucking cool people and I'd share a fighting position with any of them I've met so far. They'd give Marine 0311's a run for their money on the filthiest sense of humor challenge, too.
They also struggle with the concept of a smoke pit. To them, anywhere outdoors is a smoke pit.

I'm glad to see them getting some fresh hardware.

I'd love to see a factory suppressor-ready MOS plated config like that for the G45 or G19X.

TheNewbie
01-07-2020, 01:15 AM
I had a doctor once who was a French guy with a German name. Turns out his father was Austrian and was drafted into the Nazi army in 1945. He escaped that army, and joined the French Foreign Legion. He left Dien Bien Phu before the catastrophe there.

The French culture and mindset is not always my favorite, but they have real warriors in their country. The weapon selection listed in this thread is impressive.

TheNewbie
01-07-2020, 01:16 AM
I share a chow hall with some French Army folks out here. They're fucking cool people and I'd share a fighting position with any of them I've met so far. They'd give Marine 0311's a run for their money on the filthiest sense of humor challenge, too.
They also struggle with the concept of a smoke pit. To them, anywhere outdoors is a smoke pit.

I'm glad to see them getting some fresh hardware.

I'd love to see a factory suppressor-ready MOS plated config like that for the G45 or G19X.

Ever deal with any of the Legion guys?

Le Français
01-07-2020, 01:35 AM
On the police side, do you think this is driven by terrorism?

There’s no doubt at all. It is.

After the attacks of recent years, there was an open conversation in French media about off-duty carry (allowed for police) and even off-duty carry by private security, in the name of having more armed people about and available to shoot terrorists.

Granted, those ideas fall well short of what we Americans would consider ideal, but compare that to the British, or even the Canadians. Their cops will likely never be able to carry off duty.

Le Français
01-07-2020, 01:41 AM
Disregard.

HCM
01-07-2020, 01:58 AM

Yeah but not the way you mean. One of my HS teachers was an Alsatian ex-legionnaire who fought in Algeria.

JRB
01-07-2020, 02:01 AM

No, not yet. A friend of mine that did a 13 month MOB in western Africa got to work with the FFL guys on a couple of things; He told me that they're a rowdy bunch and their NCO's are textbook definition classic hard ass NCO's because you *have* to be to keep those guys in line.
His impression was that where any given platoon of 30 Soldiers in the US Army have 3-5 examples of 'that guy', he guessed that the FFL deals with 7-10 of them per platoon instead.

Third hand datum, but I found it interesting. Also of note, one of the FFL guys that was there was a prior service American Solider. They don't usually take Americans that aren't prior service of some kind, from what I understand. I'd guess that it'd have some appeal for guys that screwed up somehow and were barred from reenlistment or OTH'd for something.

revchuck38
01-07-2020, 04:36 AM
I actually tremendously respect the French military and police...

I share a chow hall with some French Army folks out here. They're fucking cool people and I'd share a fighting position with any of them I've met so far.

I worked with them at various points in my military career. IME, their career guys were the real deal. I also worked with their draftees, who were, well, draftees. :) Conscription ended in 2001 officially, so I'm dating myself.

BigT
01-07-2020, 05:14 AM

The G45 MOS TB Variant exists.

Bucky
01-07-2020, 05:33 AM

Certainly why the P320 was NEVER a consideration. ;)

Billy
01-07-2020, 06:56 AM
There’s no doubt at all. It is.

After the attacks of recent years, there was an open conversation in French media about off-duty carry (allowed for police) and even off-duty carry by private security, in the name of having more armed people about and available to shoot terrorists.

Granted, those ideas fall well short of what we Americans would consider ideal, but compare that to the British, or even the Canadians. Their cops will likely never be able to carry off duty.

Now police officers and gendarmes can carry off-duty I believe. Gendarmes are also authorised to train with their issued guns in private shooting ranges, with their own ammunition.

You'd be surprised to see what the French gun law can allow sometimes.

And I'm French btw, if you guys have any question regarding what is being said in the French press...

Hambo
01-07-2020, 07:11 AM
First, when do the the Mle 1950s get here?

Second, I was in a pistol class with an ex-FFL guy. He said he had no pistol training to speak of while he was in.

Billy
01-07-2020, 07:18 AM
First, when do the the Mle 1950s get here?

Second, I was in a pistol class with an ex-FFL guy. He said he had no pistol training to speak of while he was in.

I don't think they will ^^They will most likely be destroyed.

Not surprising if you're not issued one.

pooty
01-07-2020, 07:42 AM
And I'm French btw, if you guys have any question regarding what is being said in the French press...

How is local coverage of the Gilets Jaumes ? There has been barely any mention of it in the mainstream US media.

Billy
01-07-2020, 09:02 AM
How is local coverage of the Gilets Jaumes ? There has been barely any mention of it in the mainstream US media.

Constant and extensive every saturday, even though the movement is dying down. They are still present, but less and less people are paying attention.

NickA
01-07-2020, 09:40 AM
If anyone is interested in the FFL, Jocko Willink just had a former Legionnaire on his podcast. The guy went in after serving in the Canadian military.
From what he said it sounded like fairly standard military stuff, other than having to speak French and literally getting the shit beat out of you by NCO's when you get mouthy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Billy
01-07-2020, 10:17 AM
About the FFL, here is an old school documentary in english:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwLP7XjALj8

RAM Engineer
01-07-2020, 11:05 AM
Back to the gun, looks spec'd out pretty well, but I think the G45 is a better gun than the G17. Especially with a threaded barrel.

Billy
01-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Here is the standard version:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PrrslEEZKDo/XhRnnbAsrjI/AAAAAAAAGlY/GD2ByEfh2HACaPEnMC6H1UxUZJpOPD7ZQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/2020-01-07_Image%2BGlock%2BDGA.jpg

Le Français
01-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Here is the standard version:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PrrslEEZKDo/XhRnnbAsrjI/AAAAAAAAGlY/GD2ByEfh2HACaPEnMC6H1UxUZJpOPD7ZQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/2020-01-07_Image%2BGlock%2BDGA.jpg

The trigger seems to be in an odd middle position in that photo.

RevolverRob
01-07-2020, 12:46 PM
To protect the threads from damage when not wearing a suppressor.

Future Classified Ad:

Nearly new condition French Military Glock 17; Carried regularly, never shot, only dropped once, thread protector prevented damage.

That was a fantastic joke HeavyDuty

TGS
01-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Pretty much.

Kyle Reese
01-07-2020, 01:26 PM
The French military is a world class force, which has punched above its weight in operations in Central African Republic, Mali and Afghanistan. It’s nice to see them taking small arms modernization seriously, and they’ll be well served by the HK416F, SCAR H and G17.

Here’s a good read on the French military in Afghanistan;

https://chrishernandezauthor.com/2013/07/09/working-with-the-french-army/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT
01-07-2020, 02:14 PM
The trigger seems to be in an odd middle position in that photo.

Looks like the trigger mech housing pin is missing.