PDA

View Full Version : A pair and a spare: all identical?

awp_101
01-06-2020, 08:43 AM
I started wondering about this over the weekend. If you subscribe to the philosophy of having “a pair and a spare” do you set them up identically (or at least as close as possible) or do you mix and match within the same brand and action?

If you’re a Glock person, do you keep 3 G19s or say 2-19s and a 17 or 34? Or do you 19-17-34 since they keep the same action, controls and share a fair amount of parts commonality?

If you HK, do you run 3-P30 or do you mix in a VP9 since the grip feel is very similar and keeps the same controls even though the action is very different?

Guinnessman
01-06-2020, 08:58 AM
I prefer a trio of the same pistol as a main platform. Then I add in a smaller version for warm weather (think Glock 26, 43x, P30sk), and a dedicated version with a light for the nightstand (Glock 17/34, P30L).

That should cover it!

JodyH
01-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Glocks I wouldn't really worry about identical spares since I can completely rebuild one in about 5 minutes with a 3/32 punch and $35 in parts.
I do have different models for different purposes though. 26 for carry, 19 for general purpose, 45 for range time/matches. I have several others including a 19X w/RMR and a accessorized 17 but all those are just for curiosity and tinkering more than any real purpose.

revchuck38
01-06-2020, 09:04 AM
In my case, it's three PX4s - two set up as decock-only and a DAO, all 9x19 so they share the same magazines and holsters. I have a similar setup for K frames - a 4" M10 heavy barrel, another one with a tapered barrel, and an M67. Again, same holsters and speedloaders.

M2CattleCo
01-06-2020, 09:11 AM
I've always done as close to identical as possible. My Glocks and Berettas are identical.

All my handguns have the same sight pictures.

blues
01-06-2020, 09:13 AM
Glock 26-19-17 for me. But I plan to eventually pick up a backup blue label 26.

LtDave
01-06-2020, 09:24 AM
Ideally, all identical. Acceptable if they all have the same manual of arms and trigger action. Bonus if the acceptable ones can all use the same mags.

revchuck38
01-06-2020, 09:28 AM
All my handguns have the same sight pictures.

Ditto with my PX4s.

rd62
01-06-2020, 09:34 AM
I'm a G17, G19, G26 guy. All with the same sights, - connector, mag and slide release. I am considering a second G19 in Gen5 (maybe MOS) to implement separate training and carry guns.

CCT125US
01-06-2020, 09:48 AM
In the past I have followed this line. Currently have several vetted guns that could be transitioned to, but I currently carry a P30v1 (LEM), and do not have a spare. I do however have other HK models with a deep history. For example, USP9c LEM was carried for 2 years and 15k, P2000 was carried for 2 years and 10k, P30v3 Da/Sa carried for 5 years and 85k. Performance variation from day to day, is virtually meaningless after a box of fam fire with any of them. For someone newly committed to dedicated training, I do suggest the pair and a spare.

Clusterfrack
01-06-2020, 10:52 AM
I have two virtually identical P-07s with ProGrade kits installed. One is for CCW, and the other is for practice--live and dry. I'll probably pick up a spare sometime, but meanwhile I have enough spare parts to maintain mine.

I also have a bunch of Gen4 9mm Glocks and spare parts for them.

I don't have spares or full parts kits for niche guns that I only carry occasionally: G43, G20, LCP, LCR.

rob_s
01-06-2020, 10:57 AM
I've typically had a carry G19, and at least two "house" G19s. They are set up mildly differently, but nothing significant. If for some reason a house 19 had to become the carry 19 I don't foresee any issues. In the past I've also had a "game" 19 but I'm planning on a "game" 34 soon-ish instead. Did a similar mix of 1911s when I was into those.

Like others said, with a Glock or a 1911 I've never been overly concerned with identical backups. If I was shooting something else where there was either more significant difference between the mid-mini-game versions, or if there simply was no availability at all of a model that fits one of those categories, I might change my approach. The reason I don't currently have a "game" G19 is that my last game gun was a CZ and when I sold the CZ and moved, the previously "game" 19 became a "house" 19 because I wanted two, and I sold the CZ.

pangloss
01-06-2020, 11:50 AM
I have several double stack 9mm Glocks. My two 19.5 pistols are near duplicates (one for practice and one for carry). I have a 26.3 for sometimes carry and a 17.2 and 17.4 for house pistols. I am working on standardizing to a single type of sights, but I'm not completely sure what that will be yet. All triggers are Glock factory triggers with regular or dot connectors, so at least that is the close to the same. At some point, I would like to add another 19.5, but since all of my pistols are well vetted and I have holsters for all of them, getting one is a relatively low priority. I think a G45 or G44 would be more interesting given the pistols I already have.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

willie
01-06-2020, 12:17 PM
I had three Gen 3 Glocks, two 19s and a 26. I sold one 19. I have three series 75 CZs with same setup. I have two Shields. This type planning is more important now than ever before. Soon access and supply may change. Glock simplicity makes a lot of sense. So does Ruger's revolver line.

BehindBlueI's
01-06-2020, 12:21 PM
I have two identical 17Ms. The one pistol I have the most copies of is the P220, and they are all slightly different. Usually just sights and/or rollmarks and cosmetics. Oh, one doesn't have G-10 grips.

farscott
01-06-2020, 12:23 PM
My three P30 are all set up the same with the exception of sights as one of them has the HK factory night sights. With my current Glocks, I have a 19.3, a 26.3, a 17.3, and a 17.3 cut down to take 26 magazines. All have grip reductions, the same action (OEM with smooth triggers) components, and slightly differing sights.

TC215
01-06-2020, 01:12 PM
I have two identical 17Ms.

Are you issued two, or did you buy a personal gun as well?

Darth_Uno
01-06-2020, 01:20 PM
I have several 19's & 17's. The biggest difference is some have RMR's and some don't, other than that they're about the same besides sights. Minus connectors and SP00357 smooth triggers in all of them.

If I had a dedicated "gamer" I may switch it up. That stuff has its place, for sure. Just not in anything I carry.

Nephrology
01-06-2020, 01:46 PM
I have pairs of the guns I carry (G19, G26, G43). Set up basically identically with only minor differences. One is vetted and kept loaded, the other is used at the range.

Bolt_Overide
01-06-2020, 02:31 PM
identical, except for the stippling on my 17s. Two each 19 and 17, one 26, one 43.

Mitch
01-06-2020, 02:36 PM
I want two identical guns of the gun I carry. After that, I don’t sweat it if they’re a little different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spinmove_
01-06-2020, 02:38 PM
I have a pair of G19.4s for carry and a pair of G17s for competition. Yes, I make them as identical as humanly possible. If I want to test something new out that I’m potentially buying 1-3 more of I’ll change something on one of the training guns and shake it out. If I like it, I consider if it’s worth getting copies of. If it’s worth it, I buy more and update the others and confirm function. If I don’t, I get rid of it and revert back to how it was previously setup.

BehindBlueI's
01-06-2020, 03:06 PM
Are you issued two, or did you buy a personal gun as well?

I bought a retiree's gun.

Glockman9mm
01-06-2020, 07:57 PM
My carry is a G19.4 with undercut trigger guard, grip force adaptor, and Ameriglo protector sights. Everything else is stock. I have a G19.3 setup very similar. A G17.3 chopped to 19 length also setup similar. And a G26.3 with similar sight setup. All 4 of these guns have been near flawless.

SAWBONES
01-06-2020, 09:29 PM
I've long considered that any pistol worth owning for CCW purposes is worth owning two (or more) of, and I've routinely followed this principle about gun purchases for some three decades.

I don't have one of the two (or more) examples of such guns "for parts", but rather for the concept of "one to carry, one to shoot", meaning one used for CCW, and shot only rarely for function and accuracy, and another identical example for regular practice (and of course to have another should one be confiscated by LE after a justifiable shoot).

Whether altogether identical or not (e.g, Gen 3 vs. Gen 5 of a given model), the chosen options should be sufficiently similar that functional "crossover" from one to another is easy.

JAD
01-06-2020, 09:30 PM
My glock 17s are set up similarly. My 1911-pattern guns vary wildly but I have no issue transitioning between them; for that matter I have no issue transitioning between the glocks and the 1911s. This is one of those things that I suspect you have to be cooler than me to appreciate.

Robinson
01-06-2020, 09:38 PM
My carry gun is a Colt Special Combat Government with a worn blue finish. My primary training/practice gun is another SCG set up the exact same way just with an IonBond finish. My bedside gun is a Colt Rail Gun. Sights are different on that one and it is equipped with a light.

I should probably get a backup for my Gen 3 Glock 34 since I use it for classes sometimes.

WobblyPossum
01-06-2020, 09:48 PM
My two Gen5 G19s are set up identically. I only own a Gen4 because my employer doesn’t authorize the Gen5. I don’t feel the differences between the Gen4 and Gen5 guns are significant enough that I need another Gen4 to be my training gun. I’ll continue using the same Gen5 that was my training gun before. All three of my G19s have stock triggers and Ameriglo sights (two orange BOLD and one green Agent). I’ve learned that I prefer the green front sights to the orange ones but my performance is close enough that I’m not going to switch them out. I also have a G26 set up in a similar manner. Again, not entirely identical but close enough. If work circumstances didn’t intervene, I would probably have two identical Gen5 G19s and two identical Gen5 G26s. All four guns would have the green front Ameriglo Agent sights.

As you can probably tell, I’m one of the people who believe that it’s better to have a duplicate training gun of your carry gun. It saves wear on your primary carry gun or competition gun and you’ll have something to press into the defensive role in case you do have your primary taken as evidence after a UoF incident. I don’t believe the training gun needs to be an exact clone but an exact clone is ideal. I don’t think that you’re guaranteed to get killed in the streets by not having identical copies of your carry gun but the only negative to getting one is the cost.

Bigghoss
01-06-2020, 09:58 PM
I like them to be identical but I don't sweat it too much. Like Glocks I don't worry too much about them being all the same generation. I'm mainly concerned with the manual of arms. If you have the means to set up a whole family of pistols identically and get three identical copies of each one, go for it. But don't max out your credit card to do it.

Whirlwind06
01-06-2020, 10:21 PM
Beretta 92x, px4 full size and XDE is the close as I can get right now. Would like to get px4 compact as well. Or get the 92x Centurion and/or compact. Slight difference in the manual of arms on the XDE but slide mounted decock doesn't seem to be too different to frame mounted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

awp_101
01-06-2020, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses so far! I really wasn't sure how this thread would go but the answers have been more varied than I expected. There's no perfect answer, I get that. I did think it was worth asking so I could get an idea if I'd gone totally off the reservation or if the questions I was asking myself were reasonable.

What got me started down this rabbit hole was a really good group (for me) from my G19 last weekend. I carry a Shield, not the 19, and it will be that way until I lose ~50#. I started playing with the idea that maybe I need a 43/43X instead of the Shield and then wondering if the minor difference between triggers is really an issue. That led to "Would it be a mistake to pick up that nicely priced P30SK to go with the P30 or should I get a 43/43X or a second 19 instead? If I get another 19 do I go MOS and get a second 407C or leave it iron sighted? If the 19s go all in on dots, do I get one for the 34?".

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do but it's good to see it's not as cut and dry as I thought it might be.

45dotACP
01-06-2020, 10:38 PM
My 1911s are nowhere near identical. But as long as the POA/POI is similar I don't have an issue. I'm not really a super tactical Timmy though so I might get killed on the streets.

Maybe I'll put short triggers in all of them because short triggers are rad. Otherwise the safeties, grips, mainspring housings, and even sights will tend to look different.

My serious business gun is the one I shoot the best.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Erick Gelhaus
01-06-2020, 10:46 PM
Yes.

In my 1911 days, two full-size pistols set up as close to identical as possible for on-duty and training with a Commander as the off-duty gun;

With both Glocks and M&Ps kind of, sort of similar - a G17 and two G19s (same sights and triggers), M&P 1.0s two full size (one with a PMO) and a compact (all same triggers), 2.0s two compacts, a full-size, and PC Shield. Two of the 2.0 guns have PMOs and one of the compacts will soon but they don't all have the same internals.

Doc_Glock
01-06-2020, 11:35 PM

I actually don’t think it is that important but it is kind of fun to have a practice set up and an identical carry one. Most of my carry guns get shot very little, but I wouldn’t sweat it if they were shot a lot. If a single Glock was all I had I would have a spare parts kit and be very religious about PMI.

Mark D
01-07-2020, 12:32 AM
Two HK P2000s, and one P2000sk. All LEM. Minor differences in sights, grip tape etc., but functionally identical.

revchuck38
01-07-2020, 04:12 AM
Yes.

In my 1911 days, two full-size pistols set up as close to identical as possible for on-duty and training with a Commander as the off-duty gun;

With both Glocks and M&Ps kind of, sort of similar - a G17 and two G19s (same sights and triggers), M&P 1.0s two full size (one with a PMO) and a compact (all same triggers), 2.0s two compacts, a full-size, and PC Shield. Two of the 2.0 guns have PMOs and one of the compacts will soon but they don't all have the same internals.

Dumb geezer question: What's a PMO?

BigT
01-07-2020, 05:08 AM

Pistol Mounted Optic

revchuck38
01-07-2020, 05:14 AM
Pistol Mounted Optic

Thanks - too obvious, or maybe oblivious. :rolleyes:

claymore504
01-07-2020, 07:22 AM
My main conceal carry is the M&P Shield. I have three. All set up pretty much the same. Other than the Shield I have gone all DA/SA. I train with a Beretta LTT, CZ P09 and P07. I have three Berettas including the LTT set up all the same. I have thre P09s all set up the same mostly. The P07 I only have one of.

mmc45414
01-07-2020, 07:39 AM
It always seemed funny to buy something EXACTLY like something I have already, but I am getting closer to doing so.

I have several examples of the same types. Every Sunday I have been carrying and shooting my 2.0 5" M&P-9. I also have a 2.0 9C, a 1.0 9C (now "subcompact") that see most of the carrying. I also have a full size 40 and 45, plus a Shield. And I have a 4.25" 1.0 that is probably closest to being a duplicate.

If I am not carrying an M&P I am carrying a J-Frame. I have five of them but none are identical, they have slightly different sights and grips, and that is part of the reason I have more than one.

And I still love the 1911 and sometimes go that way. Again none of them are identical, but they are pretty darn similar.

In my situation I am reasonably confident in my ability to transition between these. My situation is just a dude going through his day to day life, not participating in higher risk endeavors like serving warrants or attending church services. If I were I would probably go with the 5" M&P more often, and probably have an exact double. I might get another one anyway, partially because they can be had for $408, and sometimes that is hard to resist.

Erick Gelhaus
01-07-2020, 08:46 AM

Totally legit question. Thought it - Pistol Mounted Optic - was better known.

EPF
01-07-2020, 09:05 AM
I keep three of any gun I’m seriously shooting. One for the range because I don’t clean my guns much and don’t want to carry or dry handle dirty guns, one vetted for carry, and one for dry fire. I dry fire a lot and keep the designated dry fire guns in a separate safe away from ammo with training mags only. I don’t like loading and unloading my carry guns. I guess I’m OCD about my guns which is weird because I’m lazy everywhere else 🙂

As others have said I don’t think alternate frame sizes of the same gun, such as glock make a difference. I’m a 90% Glock guy for over a decade but I like to dabble in other guns to keep it fresh and some are just toys. Been playing with the p365 variants lately.

Doc_Glock
01-07-2020, 09:18 AM
. I don’t like loading and unloading my carry guns.

This is something I do as well. Loaded, carry guns in one safe, everything else in another. I found it very helpful to keep the carry gun loaded and holstered and either on my person, or locked (in holster) in the quick access safe. The training gun is kept with the training stuff in a separate location. Overall I think it is safer since there is less admin handling of the guns at home.

Trooper224
01-07-2020, 11:32 AM
My three Beretta 92s aren't physically, but functionally identical. The same was true for my 1911s when I used that type.

deputyG23
01-13-2020, 03:59 PM
Close but not identical:

G17, 19, 26 (all Gen 2/2.5)
G22, 23 (issued) 27 (Gen 4, 2.5)
Numerous fixed sight K Smiths 3" and 4" barrels
Multiple 2" J frame .38s

ranger
01-13-2020, 05:25 PM
I have standardized (well, I have several) M&Ps. Multiple M&P 2.0 9mm Compacts for carry plus a M&P 2.0 FS and a FDE 5 inch for range/IDPA/etc. I just brought out my "retired" M&P Gen 1 PRO 5 inch for RDS duty with a CORE 5 inch slide and a SRO. All have some form of APEX trigger upgrades.

I still have a bad habit of adding 1911s and the off PF pistol of the month (looking at you PX4 Compact and CZ P10F OR with SRO) and of course I have a few Glocks in the woodpile (G26 Gen 3s) but I always return to the M&Ps.

Shawn Dodson
01-13-2020, 05:30 PM
Glock 19, 26, 42 and 43. The 19, 42 and 43 have the same sights (Wilson Combat Vickers Elite Battlesight w/ green fiber optic insert on the front sight). I rarely carry the 26 so it has factory sights. I have one 19, and two each 42 and 43. The 43 is my favorite 9mm - I shoot it very precisely, it's like I can't miss - even at long distances (50+ yd). The 43 is my primary CCW. I carry the 19 when I want more capacity (e.g., movie theater). I carry the 42 mostly in the summer when I pocket carry in Carhartt B357 shorts. I recently discovered I can also comfortably and effectively pocket carry the 43 in these shorts too, so with it being my primary CCW, I see it edging out the 42 except when I really want to cut bulk and weight (hot, sticky summer days with a lot of walking). My pocket carry "holster" is the Boraii Eagle pocket holster for both the 42 and 43. Pocket magazine carrier is from Ryan Grizzle for both.

All my CCWs are Glock for simplicity sake. The manual of arms is the same for every gun.

spence
01-13-2020, 11:06 PM
I'm working through how to make this kind of idea work for me. It's just been in the last year I've gotten really serious about pistol shooting, and even considering multiple guns in the same flavor. Since I got started down this path on Berettas, I've got an M9 and a 92 Compact that are set up identical down to the M9 half moon rear sight, and I carried the compact for a bit, but switched to the M9 because 1) I physically could, and 2) I needed to address the finish on the compact. I've shot the M9 a bunch, and the compact has roughly a third of the round count. Working through some extraction issues with it since getting the slide refinished. I believe it to be ammo related.

I've gotten increasingly sold on the compact/Centurion slide length. If I could find a Centurion, or afford an LTT right now, I'd have three. Carry the compact or Centurion, shoot and compete with the M9, and the other would be backup/house duty. Still stuck with an entirely different gun for bedside duty since neither have a rail.

I did add a PX4 compact in the mix a couple months ago. It's a great little pistol, and I feel good about it enough to carry it occasionally, but I'd have to invest a couple thousand rounds of exclusive shooting with it to feel nearly as competent with it.

RevolverRob
01-13-2020, 11:42 PM
Three 1911s in three sizes, Government, Commander, Officer’s. I want to add another Government and probably get a CCO eventually.

I have I dunno how many revolvers that are all pretty much identical (to me) the only differences is the cylinder release. I’ve never had issues missing my reloads the latches are all in roughly the same place. Most of my revolvers are fixed fronts, trough rear sights. So the sight picture is highly similar.

wmu12071
01-14-2020, 08:03 AM
Just to be clear I am not anywhere near as good as a lot of people here. The last time I reach a ceiling in performance I stopped shooting a ton a different guns every range trip. I used to bounce between DA/SA and Glock all the time. I started focusing on Glocks and I made a big improvement. Since then I have focused on the Glocks from a purchase standpoint as well. I have two 19's that are set up very close. One is MOS the other is direct mill but that is the only difference. Then I cut a 19 to take 26 mags and found that I shot it a lot better. So now my pair and a spare is 3 gen 4 Glock 19's that are the same in the frame except one being cut for 26 mags and those 3 frames share 2 RMR uppers until I get the funds for the 3rd.

BigD
01-14-2020, 08:22 AM
You are getting some skewing by asking that question here.

The 90 guys that have duplicates of their carry gun are going to respond. The other 24,910 members here that don't have identical back up guns aren't responding.

(Like every person I know IRL, I don't have a pistol that is identical to my carry pistol. I probably should, though.)

Hambo
01-14-2020, 08:33 AM
Two of my Berettas. The rest are similar in that they all have G decockers and D springs, but other parts/grips/sights are not the same.

hufnagel
01-14-2020, 08:45 AM
Only 51 posts ahead of mine discussing the OP's question? Son, I am disappoint. :D

Personally, I have 2 identical twins (P30), a fraternal twin (P30L), and a couple kissing cousins (P2000SK). They're all set up as similarly as possible (same sights, same alignment, etc.), have similar enough operating systems, and are at least uni-directional compatible for magazines. I'm practiced enough with each to be comfortable with moving between them without issues.

and BigD is right on the money. :D

vcdgrips
01-14-2020, 11:57 AM
Mostly.

Carry G35 and a practice 35-Textured and Set up is identical
Carry G34 and practice 34-Textured and Set up is identical

Gen 2 19-Textured and Set up is identical as above

Treebark texturing on frames
Ameriglo Fronts with Orange Factory Paint
Ameriglo Pro Operator Rears
5.5 TRS with Glock OEM "-" connector
Vickers Slide Release
Glock Extended Mag Release, contoured and textured
SCDs

L-2
01-14-2020, 01:21 PM
I'm mainly a Glock-guy (+some other brands, too) and used to have some duplicates. Before retirement, I was issued a duty gun, which were: G22Gen2, G22Gen3, finally a G17Gen4. My duplicates were my personally-owned Glocks. Usually, it was just easier to leave the entire duty belt and uniform in a locker at work and commute in plain-clothes with a personally-owned off-duty gun.

As different Glock generations were made, at times, I ended up with three generations of the same model, e.g., a G19gen3, G19gen4, G19gen5. I ended up selling off the older generations of Glocks as I just shot and trained with only one. If a Glock temporarily broke down, I'd just carry a different model for a few days or a couple of weeks; or else cannibalize a part from another model temporarily.

Currently, I've still got several Glocks: G43, G17gen5, G19gen5, G34gen4, G26gen3, G23gen3, G30SF. If any one of them broke, I'd just carry one of the others until I repaired or replaced the broken one. Depending on one's needs, I think a person can get by with just two similar handguns, particularly if Glock. Parts and new Glocks are so readily available these days should you need them.

I'm ~40K rounds/year shooter, but this is spread out over many firearms. Things break. I've got some spare parts on hand. Replacement parts, if not found locally, takes ~2 business days from Brownell's. I've needed four Glock frames replaced over the years and Glock takes ~week between me shipping a Glock back to getting it back to me (more complicated when I lived in California and between the FFL receiving a new serial numbered gun and re-DROS, would take an additional 2 weeks).

Other brands and problems have taken, in some cases, months to get back (Kimber, Remington, Marlin, Guncrafter Industries) whether factory or local gunsmiths.

tlong17
01-15-2020, 11:28 PM
As someone with 3 of the same model used for carry, do we really need more than one? Or is it a justification for buying more guns?

Who am I kidding, I’ll take any excuse to buy more guns.

revchuck38
01-16-2020, 08:05 AM
It struck me that I have another set in addition to PX4s and K (and N) frames. I recently acquired another M&P45 1.0 with thumb safety, so I have two of those, plus the M&P40 1.0 without the safety...a bit of a stretch, admittedly. Wish I could find a local smith who knows how to add a thumb safety to M&Ps. It seems that most folks around here are unaware that there are pistols other than Glocks.

Nephrology
01-16-2020, 08:26 AM
As someone with 3 of the same model used for carry, do we really need more than one? Or is it a justification for buying more guns?

Who am I kidding, I’ll take any excuse to buy more guns.

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. It's nice not dicking around with my carry pistols - they just stay loaded and holstered. I also have been dedicated to 9mm Glocks since I bought my first 10 years ago, so I am sitting on an ocean of parts, mags, holsters, etc.

Given that + the fact that most plastic handguns are kind of the same to me at the end of the day, there really never was a good reason to buy anything that wasn't another Glock when I had the itch for a new pistol.

It's actually kind of nice - I haven't bought a handgun in almost two years, and don't really feel any need to do so any time soon. Have everything I need and then some. The money is better spent on ammo anyway

JTQ
01-16-2020, 08:44 AM
I think the "pair and a spare" was a legitimate belief from an earlier era.

However, today it probably isn't that big of a deal.

Parts and new Glocks are so readily available these days should you need them.

Other brands and problems have taken, in some cases, months to get back (Kimber, Remington, Marlin, Guncrafter Industries) whether factory or local gunsmiths.
With a gun like a Glock where you can find another one at several stores in town and that are so simple to plug and play parts you could break your gun and either replace it or repair it in less than a day.

Vista461
01-16-2020, 08:05 PM
I guess I can see a pair of the same even though I don’t do that, most of mine are similar. Full-size M&P, M&P 9c, 9&45 Shield, glock 22. Of one goes down I have something similar enough to plug in.

I personally couldn’t do 3 of the exact same thing, too boring 😂

But if that what you want to do, go for it.

awp_101
01-17-2020, 08:29 PM
You are getting some skewing by asking that question here.

The 90 guys that have duplicates of their carry gun are going to respond. The other 24,910 members here that don't have identical back up guns aren't responding.
I know, that's why I gave the option of having 3 identical or 3 very to somewhat similar. Those 2 options should cover most of the membership. Not everyone wants (or can afford) 3 identical pistols but would be happy with 3 that are sort of like each other (within reason).

JohnK
01-17-2020, 11:47 PM
I don't own pistols that are identical but they are set up pretty closely. Each has unique characteristics but same trigger pull and manual of operations: a Springfield TRP with ambi thumb safety, tritium front and 10-8 performance rear as carry gun. Wilson cqb as immediate replacement if the TRP goes down during occasional function check. And then Springfield professional and Baer custom carry. Cqb,pro,cc are all squared away but are all designated training/competition/dry fire guns.

I also have a trio of P30 variants... the L, sk, and standard model. All have V1 lem; p30L has a lazy wolf reduced reset package. I seemed to have carried and shot the P30 standard more than the others. Sometimes I get the hankering to switch back out of laziness (of not wanting to spend so much time handloading 45) and ease of carry (plastic feels way lighter than a hunk of metal on a typical 14 hour day for me. Time will tell.

awp_101
01-18-2020, 02:35 PM
I also have a trio of P30 variants... the L, sk, and standard model.
How different does the SK feel from the standard? I've got a teeny hankering for an SK to go with my full size but I don't know if I want to have to stock up on 2 kinds of HK mags or not.

pangloss
01-18-2020, 06:19 PM
How different does the SK feel from the standard? I've got a teeny hankering for an SK to go with my full size but I don't know if I want to have to stock up on 2 kinds of HK mags or not.With a 13 round mag in the SK, they are very similar. I have not shot my SK very much, but I like it. The DA pull is much heavier than my full size though and also seems to stack more near the end of the pull. I think the trick to buying HKs is to wait until after a factory shipment of the specific model you want. Prices seem to drop then.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

JohnK
01-19-2020, 09:35 AM
How different does the SK feel from the standard? I've got a teeny hankering for an SK to go with my full size but I don't know if I want to have to stock up on 2 kinds of HK mags or not.

If you are asking about how the trigger feels, I only have about 1K through the sk vs. over 6,000 and tons of dry fire through the standard model. So the trigger feels new. I have one magazine with a pinky extension on it, otherwise I run the gun with a standard 10 round mag. The reduction in grip size, to me, makes me slow down quite a bit, especially for long range shots. But I got it for those times where I don't even want to risk a hint of printing... npe and all that. Recoil is snappy due to smaller size as well.

The gun is worth it for the reasons I bought it for.

Catshooter
01-26-2020, 08:19 PM
To me it's manual of arms first, then worry about set up. Remember if you do shoot someone, depending on where you live you may never see that gun again. So, now your best friend is gone, what takes it's place?

Manual of arms is important. I knew a guy who was a revolver man. He fumbled the 1911 safety at a bad time. He later died of the wounds sustained in that fight.

Cat

Joe in PNG
01-26-2020, 11:08 PM
Well, carp... guess I need another couple of 1911s after all!

David S.
01-27-2020, 01:03 PM

PM if you want to shoot both. I regularly shoot at Dallas Pistol Club.

RevolverRob
01-27-2020, 01:15 PM
Well, carp... guess I need another couple of 1911s after all!

There can be no doubt. Everyone should have three or four or fourteen.

Just realized this - in addition to the three "shoots real bullets 1911s" I have, I also have a 1911 airsoft gun I use for practice in the house/dryfire/holster work/etc.

Currently on the list for this year: Rimfire Trainer, Alchemy Custom Weaponry Brimstone, and possibly a dedicated gun for Cool Fire Training system + Mantis X.