PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell TRS-25 cold weather use

That Guy
01-04-2020, 02:59 PM
I recently came across a decent fixed power scope with a low enough price tag that I had to get it. So now I find myself in need of an auxiliary red dot sight to mount on the Picatinny rail on top of said scope, but without available funds to buy a high-end name brand one. The TRS-25 is by far the cheapest option that I am willing to consider available to me, and comments on it have been overwhelmingly positive both on this forum and elsewhere. One LEO here mentioned in one of the conversations regarding this sight that their department has even approved the TRS-25 for duty use. Seems like the best choice for the time being. (And if I do end up replacing the sight at a later date, I do have other uses for this red dot.)

One thing however; nowhere have I been able to find out what temperatures the sight is rated to function in. Now I'm not expecting a sight for Arctic winter conditions or anything like that, but winters can get occasionally a bit nippy here and a lot of budget red dots do fail my expectations when it comes to operating temperatures. For example the well liked Primary Arms micro red dots are only rated for -10°C, which is not quite acceptable for my use.

Does anyone here have information on what temperatures the TRS-25 is rated to work in? Or failing that, experience running said sight in colder weather?

GAP
01-04-2020, 03:43 PM
I’ve had a few over the years and thought they were basically what you get for the price tag. The glass had a blue tint and the dots weren’t very clear.

I’ve been using a Holosun 403B on my range AR for over a year that I am really happy with. You can find them for ~$120-140 if that is within your current budget.

The spec sheet shows -22 F working temp and an up to 50,000 battery life:
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=34&zenid=944cfb3e0c3f515d9cc44f3a8917452a

I have an Aimpoint on my HD rifle, but when I need more micros I’m going to buy more Holosuns.

That Guy
01-04-2020, 05:45 PM
Thank you for your reply.

Being an auxiliary sight for closer range shooting, the most important part is that the darn thing works. That's what attracts me to the TRS-25 - people keep saying the sight is quite durable.

The Holosun is my second option at the moment. For me though, the 400-series sights are at least over $200 with the 500-series going over $300. (And that's buying from abroad, whereas the TRS-25 is available to me locally.) The YouTube channel The Chopping Block has reviewed a 500-series sight and managed to kill two of them by dunking the sights into a bucket of water for a few minutes, which doesn't really make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the idea of buying one...

GAP
01-04-2020, 09:21 PM
Hmm — Well, I don’t plan to submerge my dot anytime soon so I should be good. What about offset irons instead?

That Guy
01-05-2020, 07:27 AM
I don't intend to dunk my gun in water either, but sometimes it rains...

Offset anything is problematic when switching shoulders to shoot from behind cover or a fault line.

That Guy
01-05-2020, 08:27 AM
I just discovered this video:

https://youtu.be/gSAtM2dynoo

(Sorry, not able to embed the video into the post on my phone.)

Survived the water dunk test, no more fiddly battery tray held by screws... Might be worth stretching the budget to get a better sight right away. (I checked, I can order a 403R for a bit over $200. Of course warranty claims, if necessary, might be trickier or more expensive than dealing with a local company, but...)

GAP
01-05-2020, 12:06 PM
I don't intend to dunk my gun in water either, but sometimes it rains...

Offset anything is problematic when switching shoulders to shoot from behind cover or a fault line.

Yeah I shoot in the rain, it is a lot different than submerging something completely.

LittleLebowski
01-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Sig Romeo 5 for $119 (https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-1x20mm-red-dot-sight-black-r52001.html), all day.

That Guy
01-05-2020, 02:39 PM
Great discount! Alas, they don't seem to ship abroad.

HCM
01-05-2020, 04:47 PM
Great discount! Alas, they don't seem to ship abroad.

Both the SIG and Primary arms RDS are essentially Re-branded Holosuns.