PDA

View Full Version : Carrying with a toddler

KevH
01-03-2020, 10:16 PM
After never planning to have kids (and waiting way too long), I was blessed to become a father almost 19 months ago. Lots of things have changed in my life, but one that hasn't is the need to carry a gun 24/7.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so the very epitome of a non-permissive environment.

With a little one who climbs all over me and seemingly gets into everything, I'm really having to rethink what and how I carry off-duty.

From about March to October I wear a t-shirt and jeans with a pull over or zip-up hoody if needed and occasionally shorts if it's really hot. Wintertime it's jeans and a flannel with a jacket.

I kind of want a manual safety and am thinking of getting a Shield 2.0 in 9mm and carrying AIWB, something I've never spent much time doing. The other side of me says to go with an even smaller gun in my pocket. I'm not really interested in a P365 (I don't trust them).

For those of you that are or have been in a similar situation, what do you carry and how?

Hieronymous
01-03-2020, 10:32 PM
I am in similar circumstances with toddlers. Having carried a Glock 19 appendix for several years, I realized (for me) that with the incessant bending over and squatting one does with small kids, appendix carry was no longer a good option. Pre kids, a few torso bends etc. were more than manageable, but with kids those actions became more uncomfortable. That said, given the reduced profile of the sub-compact, maybe that (appendix carry) could be a good solution for you.

I have gone to 100% pocket carry of the P365. Comfort problem solved, no issues carrying kids and having printing issues with AIWB or IWB. While the P365 may not be your go to, I bet pocket carry could be a good option for you as well. The big downside for me is that my draw time (hand not on grip in pocket) has reduced significantly, but when the hand is in the pocket on the grip, it’s acceptable. Good luck!

Duelist
01-03-2020, 10:40 PM
I went to Smartcarry and pocket carry of a very small gun. Draw speed sucks, but the toddler won’t get a hand on it and shoot themselves, either.

breakingtime91
01-03-2020, 11:21 PM
i appendix a p365xl with manual safety (grey guns) or wilson 9mm 1911. I have a 3 year old and a almost one year old. Being a single dad isnt for the weak and they test me, but appendix and a manual safety seems to be the way to go.

TheNewbie
01-03-2020, 11:39 PM
Have you thought about one the new S&W 9mm EZ Shields? With your 1911 experience, seems like a great fit for manual of arms and AIWB.

Plus it has a usable thumb safety vs normal Shields safety.

BillSWPA
01-03-2020, 11:59 PM
My kids are 12 and 9, and I started carrying daily long before they were born.

I changed very little.

My primary gun is carried either IWB at 3:30 or in my strong side front pocket. If I am carrying a BUG, it is either in a weak side front pocket or ankle holster. I use a fanny pack when exercising or doing work around the house likely to result in sweating.

My biggest concern has always been ensuring that any gun(s) I am carrying are on my person and under my immediate control, or locked up. When I get dressed, the gun goes from the locked enclosure to my person. When I get undressed, the gun goes directly from my person to the locked enclosure.

Maintaining awareness of the location of the kids relative to the gun can be important at times, but has never been a real problem.

I have never hidden anything from the kids, nor made a big deal about the gun. To them, it is just another part of what I wear every day. I have tried to teach them that we do not discuss the gun in public, since not everyone likes guns. I also tried to teach them that if they see a gun at a friend's house, they are to leave and get an adult.

My daughter now accompanies me for most of my range visits. I started taking her when she was 10. At that time, I hovered over her as she shot. Now, I can let her do her own thing next to me, and just keep an eye on her, knowing she will act safely.

My son is begging me to take him shooting. At some point I will, but when has not yet been decided.

KevH
01-04-2020, 12:00 AM
Have you thought about one the new S&W 9mm EZ Shields? With your 1911 experience, seems like a great fit for manual of arms and AIWB.

Plus it has a usable thumb safety vs normal Shields safety.

Honestly, I've been thinking really hard on it. It's so new though and I don't generally like to being an early adopter. I'd rather let someone else suffer working the kinks out.

I have an old Colt Defender that's basically NIB sitting in the back of the safe I was considering. It came from the factory with edges you could shave with and would need quite a bit of work (time + $) to get to where I would be comfortable carrying it.

I've never really liked AIWB when I've tried it in the past. I think the gun and holster would need to be as thin as possible (Shield) for it to work for me.

For the past four months (since walking began) I've been carrying either a J-frame on my ankle in a Renegade holster or a Kahr P380 (mine works...so far) in my pocket. We were standing around when Christmas shopping a couple weeks ago (I was holding her hand) and she pulled up my pant leg in a very public place trying to inspect the 442 on my ankle. One of the reasons I'm rethinking what I'm doing.

Hell, I've even started thinking about carrying a fanny pack which is something I never thought I would consider. I figure with a little one in tow I might be able to pull it off. The only guys I ever saw carry those were at the beginning of my career and they usually had matching M-frames, a mustache, and a bad haircut to go with it.

BillSWPA
01-04-2020, 12:04 AM
Ankle holsters can present some unique challenges around kids. My son once found one to be a nice foothold when trying to climb up on me - when definitely put the quality of that holster to the test (it was made by C. Rusty Sherrick and it passed). Kids also like playing with shoelaces, which are of course in close proximity to the ankle holster.

3:30 IWB and front pocket make protecting the gun relatively easy.

Mitch
01-04-2020, 12:17 AM
Glock 48 AIWB and/or j frame in the front right pocket.

Had similar issues with ankle carry that you mentioned. Carried strong side for a little bit because with an open front cover shirt the one handed draw was easier. Found myself bending over so often with the kid that strong side wasn’t working. It was more of a pain to dress around anyway for me.

Everything is a compromise but I think aiwb really is the way to go when you have young kids. If for no other reason than the amount of time I spend bending or kneeling down with my son. It’s easier to keep an eye on the gun and make sure it’s still concealed when they’re climbing on you, too.

I don’t get hung up on a manual safety, but my gun is either in a holster on me, or locked up in the safe. I’m religious about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03RN
01-04-2020, 12:23 AM
My son is a year and a half. I still carry a full sized gun aiwb.

Im constantly on the floor rolling around, etc. I do find a 3" k frame a much more comfortable compromise over a 5" 1911 but still carry them often.

I dont see a need to go to a pocket gun or even to a subcompact. I recently thought about switching to a double stack 9mm because of the thought of reloading with him in my left arm kinda got me thinking.

When in public with my wife and son she manages him and i manage society. Alone I have to split my attention but am blessed with a really well behaved boy.

Ever since San Bernardino ive dedicated myself to constant carry of a full sized gun and i see no reason to slack. Events like that or Nicé only confirm that i really dont want a pocket gun to defend my family.

spence
01-04-2020, 12:27 AM
Mind you, I did not carry when my kids were little, for various reasons, none having to do with my kids. Now they're 7 and 8, and I've been carrying again full time for a while. I carry AIWB full time, and it's been an M9, or I got a PX4 compact I started to carry a bit, too. In summer a tshirt covers it, or winter a flannel shirt tucked in covered with hoodie/vest.

If I had packed around when my kids were littler and I would have been the size I am now (much less fluffy than then), I wouldn't change a thing. Back then, it would have had to be IWB at 3-4, and would have been a significantly smaller pistol.

KevH
01-04-2020, 12:46 AM
I accepted a couple years ago that I can't comfortably carry at 3:30 anymore. After more than a decade of carrying 1911's there (along with other guns) and wearing too much crap on my belt at work for so long, it's turned into some type of a sciatica hotspot. I have to carry at 3 o'clock and forward. So anything in that area IWB is out for me.

For concealment, that leaves:

- AIWB..never been comfortable for me, but I'm willing to try again.
- Pocket (which majorly limits the size, caliber, and capacity of the gun)
- Shoulder (would only work a few months out of the year for me and even then, not ideal holding a kiddo)
- Ankle (same issue with pocket + the aforementioned problem with my daughter from a couple weeks ago)
- Fanny pack (sigh...)

FrankB
01-04-2020, 01:22 AM
My son is 32, but I have young nephews. My solution for fool proof carry around them, has been an empty pistol, and the mag in my pants pocket. I’m not going to beat anyone to the draw, but the kids won’t get both components...hopefully. Safeties are worthless, because 5-8 yr olds are freaking geniuses when it comes to defeating that sort of thing.

ETA: You guys are talking about carrying, while carrying a kid...duh! Fanny bag, since carrying children already looks uncool...lol!

Squib308
01-04-2020, 01:24 AM
two young boys
AIWB in part due to constantly having to bend over managing them when out and about
in and out of car seats my 5/7 o clocks are exposed...no good for hip carry
in terms of getting access to firearm its a non issue because its either on my belt or in the safe...nowhere in between
to me the whole reason to CCW is when im w the boys because my options to flee a situation are gone

Maple Syrup Actual
01-04-2020, 02:23 AM
Just going to throw out this alternative: The Cherries Deep Concealment Holster, which I think Revolver_Rob turned me on to. It's a slower draw, no question about it. But if you need an extremely secure, extremely NPE holster, this is a worthy contender. My own feeling is that the chaotic, unpredictable grabbiness of toddler hands may warrant a harder-than-normal-to-access holster.

Back when I was working for the magazine I experimented with one a bit because I was spending so much time on the range, having a super-comfy always-there always-hidden pistol on the line seemed useful. I was often down the line with people I didn't know, back at the table with unlimited access to guns and it made me uncomfortable. But some ROs got really weird about carrying downrange, so I wanted something where even if I was in a t-shirt and jeans, nobody could possibly tell I was carrying.

Anyway maybe not what you're looking for but they're not THAT much slower to access, they're secure, and they're invisible.

Cypher
01-04-2020, 04:24 AM
Both Melody Lauer and Tatiana Whitlock have some training resources specifically geared toward carrying a gun with toddlers.

I don't know for sure if the training is targeted specifically towards women because it's never been something that's been an issue for me but it might be worth looking into.

Warped Mindless
01-04-2020, 05:56 AM
Just going to throw out this alternative: The Cherries Deep Concealment Holster, which I think Revolver_Rob turned me on to. It's a slower draw, no question about it. But if you need an extremely secure, extremely NPE holster, this is a worthy contender. My own feeling is that the chaotic, unpredictable grabbiness of toddler hands may warrant a harder-than-normal-to-access holster.

Back when I was working for the magazine I experimented with one a bit because I was spending so much time on the range, having a super-comfy always-there always-hidden pistol on the line seemed useful. I was often down the line with people I didn't know, back at the table with unlimited access to guns and it made me uncomfortable. But some ROs got really weird about carrying downrange, so I wanted something where even if I was in a t-shirt and jeans, nobody could possibly tell I was carrying.

Anyway maybe not what you're looking for but they're not THAT much slower to access, they're secure, and they're invisible.

I have that cherries holster and while not my favorite by any means, I have used it for work when it was needed. If you adjust it so that the gun sticks out just a bit above the belt, you don't have extremly tight pants, and have hands that are large enough, with some practice you can get a one handed one second draw by using your thumb to "hook" the grip and pull it up into your waiting hand.

Hard to explain but if you fool around with it and experiment you will get it.

GAP
01-04-2020, 08:31 AM
G26 in a G17 length Tenicor Velo; it keeps everything nice and slim, which helps with having to bend over constantly.

Guinnessman
01-04-2020, 09:18 AM
When my oldest was a toddler I was in the process of switching to AIWB carry from a Milt Sparks VMII. With the constant squat down, stand up, and bend over associated with kids, AIWB worked for me.

AIWB holsters have dramatically improved since those days, and I really enjoy the JM Custom 2.5 Wing Claw with a foam wedge. The wedge adds comfort to my “Nether Region,” and combined with the claw, it does a fantastic job of concealing the pistol. The only part of this set up that may print, is the front of the holster itself.

My kids liked to tug at my pant legs and pockets, so those carry spots were a no go. Good luck with your search.

newyork
01-04-2020, 09:23 AM
G26 in a G17 length Tenicor Velo; it keeps everything nice and slim, which helps with having to bend over constantly.

You’re killing me. Want that!

snow white
01-04-2020, 09:29 AM
I carried every day for a long time before my daughter was born and I didn't change a thing after she came. I carry ether a px4 cc, LTT compact, or a S&W 49 all in the appendix position. Shes just about three years old and I've never had a problem. If the gun is on me than I am in full control of it. If it's not on me than its somewhere Inexcusable to her. My one word of advice is make shure your holster and carry method can stand the rigors of jumping around on the playground with your little one.

newyork
01-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Kept up pocket or appendix here too. Only weird thing is they’re always coming up and bugging your leg while you’re standing. It’s in a holster but they’re still potentially getting muzzled. It’s unnerving sometimes.

M2CattleCo
01-04-2020, 10:12 AM
I'm (well, wife) is about to have my third.

I didn't change a thing about where and what I carry.

I can fight a full grown man with my carry gun in the holster. A toddler climbing around is no problem.

What I did change is to not be so quick on the Sur position, use more high port, and more one-handed shooting.

Cookie Monster
01-04-2020, 11:06 AM
The parameters of my life as me pocket carrying mostly a 42, sometimes a 26. I really wish it was something more.

My twin boys are 4 and the number of times I have been on the ground and upside down and down slides and through things, tumbling down a snowy hill, giving up my shirt or jacket or other what would of been a cover shirt and tackled by them and their friends.

I can’t see changing in the short term. I might try appendix again in a few years we’ll be out of the Papa going down the slide too and my ability to carry them in front and I can work out wearing a belt again.

willie
01-04-2020, 11:06 AM
When my wife and I traveled with two small boys, I carried a BHP that had the magazine disconnect intact. At night, I removed the magazine and stored the weapon. I kept the magazine on my person. I slept in shorts with a belt holding a slim mag carrier. The boys had been taught not to touch the pistol, but I took no chances. Many decry mag disconnects. In this case, mine served a purpose.

TheNewbie
01-04-2020, 02:01 PM
When my wife and I traveled with two small boys, I carried a BHP that had the magazine disconnect intact. At night, I removed the magazine and stored the weapon. I kept the magazine on my person. I slept in shorts with a belt holding a slim mag carrier. The boys had been taught not to touch the pistol, but I took no chances. Many decry mag disconnects. In this case, mine served a purpose.

I’ve always thought this would be the one area a mag disconnect made a lot of sense.

Cory
01-04-2020, 02:19 PM
My son is 3. I carry a 92 series AIWB.

If I'm going to a birthday party with bounce house, or trampoline I take my gun off and secure it. Thats mostly a comfort thing.

I didn't have a problem when he was small, and don't have one now. I was playing with my 5 month old neice recently and my carry gun was no factor.

-Cory

L-2
01-04-2020, 03:16 PM
I'll suggest an IWB locking/security holster. I've not tried this one, although I've used other Safariland owb holsters with the "GLS" mechanism.

https://bit.ly/2QPm8Od

Link to the IWB Safariland holster, above.

In this case, go to the holster link, then find out what guns this holster can fit.

Shawnw
01-04-2020, 08:33 PM
I'll suggest an IWB locking/security holster. I've not tried this one, although I've used other Safariland owb holsters with the "GLS" mechanism.

https://bit.ly/2QPm8Od

Link to the IWB Safariland holster, above.

In this case, go to the holster link, then find out what guns this holster can fit.

I have this holster. It is rather thick. Like real thick. If you use it aiwb it looks and feels like you are carrying a triple stack. It fits my g19 but not my p2000 or my px4. Other than being too fat for real aiwb use, the locking mechanism is pretty nice though.

andre3k
01-05-2020, 01:24 AM
I carried every day for a long time before my daughter was born and I didn't change a thing after she came. I carry ether a px4 cc, LTT compact, or a S&W 49 all in the appendix position. Shes just about three years old and I've never had a problem. If the gun is on me than I am in full control of it. If it's not on me than its somewhere Inexcusable to her. My one word of advice is make shure your holster and carry method can stand the rigors of jumping around on the playground with your little one.

I'm with you on this. I've never put much thought into it actually because it the kids didn't impact the way I carried. Now, weapon storage around the house was an entirely different issue.

paherne
01-05-2020, 02:03 AM
Honestly, I've been thinking really hard on it. It's so new though and I don't generally like to being an early adopter. I'd rather let someone else suffer working the kinks out.

I have an old Colt Defender that's basically NIB sitting in the back of the safe I was considering. It came from the factory with edges you could shave with and would need quite a bit of work (time + $) to get to where I would be comfortable carrying it.

I've never really liked AIWB when I've tried it in the past. I think the gun and holster would need to be as thin as possible (Shield) for it to work for me.

For the past four months (since walking began) I've been carrying either a J-frame on my ankle in a Renegade holster or a Kahr P380 (mine works...so far) in my pocket. We were standing around when Christmas shopping a couple weeks ago (I was holding her hand) and she pulled up my pant leg in a very public place trying to inspect the 442 on my ankle. One of the reasons I'm rethinking what I'm doing.

Hell, I've even started thinking about carrying a fanny pack which is something I never thought I would consider. I figure with a little one in tow I might be able to pull it off. The only guys I ever saw carry those were at the beginning of my career and they usually had matching M-frames, a mustache, and a bad haircut to go with it.

Bro, I've been where you're at. My daughter, who is now 21 and wants to carry, was about four when this incident happened. I was shopping, intently trying to pick some item off a shelf in the Burlingame Lunardi's when I noticed that an older lady, mid 60's, just down the aisle was looking at me like I was a serial killer, the look of revulsion on her face was palpable. I was wearing a G19 at 3 o'clock in a pancake holster, covered by a flannel. I hadn't noticed that my lovely Erin had lifted up the tail of my shirt, exposing the G19. I quickly realized what was going on, told the lady I was an off-duty cop and badged her. I then turned to my adorable daughter and asked why she had lifted up my shirt, she told me, "I wanted to see your cool gun, Dad." We had an interesting conversation after that about why she shouldn't do that, or tell people I was a cop. That was a little difficult, because her best friend was my K9 partner, whom she loved and went to her preschool, etc and she wanted to tell everyone about him.

Carry like you would normally carry. Be prepared to kick your kid to knock them on their ass and get them out of the line of fire if you ever skin your pistol. As they get older, teach them the four rules and NEVER deny your kid a request to look at one of your guns. I have 3-4 loaded guns lying about the house and have since I bought the place 23 years ago. My kids treat them like the dangerous objects they are. They could look at any gun, any time, but they had to recite the four rules and show me they could unload the pistol, rifle or shotgun, on demand. Both of my kids have their own guns, now. I took them shooting and guns held no mystery for them. They comment about bad gun-handling in movies. Recently, a local cop had his house attacked by a crazy guy who broke out his windows and threatened his family. He was not able to get to his gun in its locked safe before the guy chose to walk away. Both of my kids, 17 and 21, would have reacted differently and would have had the means to do so. That's all I will say about that. Raise your daughter right, train her up and make her, "Not a victim."

sikiguya
01-05-2020, 08:29 AM
I have a p365 sas. It has no primer drag on the cases. They have finally fixed the striker issues. But hey what you wants.

However for pocket carry and to be around kids, I would suggest a S&W 442. That is about a 10 lbs trigger pull. I don’t see the kid pulling that off.

JAD
01-05-2020, 08:39 AM
That is about a 10 lbs trigger pull. I don’t see the kid pulling that off.

Kids master the da pull by putting both thumbs against the trigger, which points the muzzle at their chest or face.

No gun is safe around kids before they’re ready to be safe. All guns are on your person or locked away.

sikiguya
01-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Surely, I am not suggesting leaving a loaded revolver around kids. But interesting point with kids. I have seen kids crack the kid proof latches, outlet covers, and pill bottles.

Personally, with my kids being teenagers, I have always kept them in locked pistol safes around the house. These have the simplex lock on them. I trust mechanical locks for this purpose. Too many time, I have gone to an electronic lock safe and have dead batteries.

medmo
01-05-2020, 01:08 PM
I like your thinking with the manual safety. My youngest is now 26. When I had toddlers I mostly carried a S&W 6906. DA trigger and manual safety.

LJP
01-05-2020, 03:15 PM
I am going to preface my comments with a little bit about my own life to justify where I’m coming from...

I have two toddlers (2 & 3 y/o), and I have taken the Citizens Defense Research “The Armed Parent/Guardian” class with Melody Lauer. That is a fantastic class that addresses a lot of carrying while being responsible for a small child.

I have been carrying concealed for over two decades, and pretty much have carried AIWB exclusively for the past decade with either a G19 or S&W M&P9 2.0 Compact. With the proper holster (I like JM Custom Kydex) I have absolutely no concerns about my gun being inadvertently fired by toddler hands or playing. And yes, I’ve carried my kids around and horsed around on the floor with them.

I would not explore things like guns with external safeties or small gun pocket carry if that’s not what you’ve already been doing. One of my personal rules is that when I’m with my family, their safety is my primary mission. Therefore, I carry the largest gun that I can comfortably and safely that I am the most capable with. For me, that means I don’t rely on my J-Frame only when I’m out and about with my kids. If I’m by myself, those are odds I’ll take. But if I’m responsible for protecting my kids against kidnap or other potential dangers, then I want the best weapon that I am most capable and most accurate with. YMMV.

As far as kids and safety, I have two gun safes. A big one in the basement and a quick access long gun safe bolted into my bedroom closet. If my gun isn’t in my waistband, it’s in the safe. My kids have expressed some interest in what my gun is, but for right now, I’ve simply told them that it’s a tool that Daddy carries to keep us all safe. I keep it concealed both inside and outside the home, so there haven’t been a lot of questions yet.

If your interested, my AAR of the above mentioned class is available at:

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com/2019/05/02/aar-citizens-defense-research-melody-lauer-contextual-handgun-the-armed-parent-guardian-culpeper-va-april-27-28-2019/

KevH
01-05-2020, 04:02 PM
The two autoloaders I've spent the most time with in my life have been the 1911 and the Glock by far. I've been shooting both since about 1994 and am perfectly comfortable shooting either. I'm also comfortable with J-frames, the S&W M&P and the SIG P-series, but the two aforementioned guns are by far the warm handshake of an old friend. Manual safety, striker, single action trigger, etc. Don't care. The differing manual of arms don't bother me. It doesn't take too much time to transition for me. For what it's worth, most of my time has been spent shooting Glocks for the past few years.

I would never leave a gun sitting around with a kid. That's not my reason for the manual safety. It is for if she is poking around on me and somehow if it gets unholstered I have an extra second to get it away from her before tragedy strikes. She isn't a wild child, but there is lots of goofing and playing and hanging off me.

The whole "I can grapple and keep a gun away from adult so can definitely keep it away from a kid" is a bunk argument to me. It's apples to oranges. I've spent way too much of my life having to do d-tac drills focused on keeping my gun away from or taking it away from others. We naturally become more defensive and aware as other adults get near us or too close to our "comfort zone." We are used to letting our kids hang off our bodies and they live and function in that same comfort zone. It only takes a second for them to unholster a gun or expose it at a poor time.

I've been thinking about it all weekend and I'm really focusing the following:
- M&P Shield 2.0 with manual safety
- Glock 43X
- Glock 48

I think I'll try a Tenicor holster with one of those and see how that works. AIWB has never worked for me in the past, but I think it's time to give it another go. Whatever it is has to be thin. When I've tried carrying a Glock 26 in that position in the past it looked like I had a colostomy bag or some weird giant growth there and was generally uncomfortable.

M2CattleCo
01-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Being fully confident a toddler can't disarm me isn't bunk.

It's reality.

Cookie Monster
01-05-2020, 05:51 PM
The two autoloaders I've spent the most time with in my life have been the 1911 and the Glock by far. I've been shooting both since about 1994 and am perfectly comfortable shooting either. I'm also comfortable with J-frames, the S&W M&P and the SIG P-series, but the two aforementioned guns are by far the warm handshake of an old friend. Manual safety, striker, single action trigger, etc. Don't care. The differing manual of arms don't bother me. It doesn't take too much time to transition for me. For what it's worth, most of my time has been spent shooting Glocks for the past few years.

I would never leave a gun sitting around with a kid. That's not my reason for the manual safety. It is for if she is poking around on me and somehow if it gets unholstered I have an extra second to get it away from her before tragedy strikes. She isn't a wild child, but there is lots of goofing and playing and hanging off me.

The whole "I can grapple and keep a gun away from adult so can definitely keep it away from a kid" is a bunk argument to me. It's apples to oranges. I've spent way too much of my life having to do d-tac drills focused on keeping my gun away from or taking it away from others. We naturally become more defensive and aware as other adults get near us or too close to our "comfort zone." We are used to letting our kids hang off our bodies and they live and function in that same comfort zone. It only takes a second for them to unholster a gun or expose it at a poor time.

- Glock 43X
- Glock 48

I think I'll try a Tenicor holster with one of those and see how that works. AIWB has never worked for me in the past, but I think it's time to give it another go. Whatever it is has to be thin. When I've tried carrying a Glock 26 in that position in the past it looked like I had a colostomy bag or some weird giant growth there and was generally uncomfortable.

A little bit of a side point and maybe talking about ego.

I now keep all my guns except the carry pistol unloaded.

There was three different times I went to the big gun safe and it was unlocked or opened. Loaded shotguns and rifles in the safe. My boys were only 3 at the time and they aren’t roaming around pulling guns out of safe but I due to sleep deprivation or plain inattention or just being stupid I grabbed something out and didn’t lock it and forgot. But someday they will be curious and unsupervised and then I think worse case.

So one more layer to ease my mind. Magazines are there to take care of issues if I need to and hopefully those 3 seconds won’t get me killed in the streets or dirt road that I live on.

Maybe a tangent and maybe I am just not up for the task and can’t be on point ever moment of the day that I need too. I won’t let my ego and bravado and just believe my tactical excellence at all moments will solve it all. Life is hard, you make mistakes, and kids will surprise you every fucking day.

KevH
01-05-2020, 05:52 PM
Being fully confident a toddler can't disarm me isn't bunk.

It's reality.

Didn't mean to come across like a jerk if I did, but I'm not talking about disarming. I'm talking about lifting a cover garment, a kicking foot hooking and popping a gun out of its holster, or heaven forbid, a little finger getting near a trigger.

I've already had the gun on my ankle messed with. I've had my phone fiddled with more than once and random crap while I'm distracted by the rest of world wind up in my shopping cart at the grocery store.

Maybe you're much better at toddler wrangling than me (you probably are...I'm still pretty new at this), but these are the types of things that concern me.

M2CattleCo
01-05-2020, 06:28 PM
Between mine and my nieces and nephews that live with us a few months a year I've been through six so far.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

I play, ride bikes, horses, have kids all around.

If you ever drop your gun, just throw your phone on the ground. They'll go for that 10 times out of 10!

ETA: I haven't had one that interested in a gun I was wearing for more than a few minutes the first time they see it. After that it's just part of your clothes.

Shawnw
01-05-2020, 08:49 PM
However for pocket carry and to be around kids, I would suggest a S&W 442. That is about a 10 lbs trigger pull. I don’t see the kid pulling that off.

I have seen my toddlers pull the trigger on broken toy guns, easily a 20+ lb super long tigger pull. Kids have crazy Kung fu grips. If you think a 10 lb doa pull will stop a child you are wrong. Very wrong. My 2 year old can do that with ease, wouldn’t even slow him down.

Navin Johnson
01-05-2020, 09:08 PM
I have seen my toddlers pull the trigger on broken toy guns, easily a 20+ lb super long tigger pull. Kids have crazy Kung fu grips. If you think a 10 lb doa pull will stop a child you are wrong. Very wrong. My 2 year old can do that with ease, wouldn’t even slow him down.

And to add..... If they can't pull with their finger they will use their thumb...... Guess where the barrel points then?

And if that's hard to fathom ask anybody who's investigated child shoots self with gun....

medmo
01-05-2020, 09:10 PM

- Glock 43X
- Glock 48

I’ve been AIWB-ing for awhile now with JM Custom Wingclaws 2.5 (Px4 CC & 92A1). I think the holster and body fit has more to do with comfort then the pistol. My brain won’t allow me to carry striker fired - no manual safety AIWB. It just freaks me out. No judgement on anyone who does it’s just me.

Glockman9mm
01-06-2020, 09:22 PM
I have 3 kids, 11,2, and1 years old. Carry G19.4 at 3 o’clock in an old Bladetech IWB. Hasn’t been an issue.

HCountyGuy
01-06-2020, 09:28 PM
I've carried strong side and AIWB with my son, I definitely prefer AIWB because it's far less likely to print when I'm wrangling him in public spaces. It also helped curb his headbutting phase when he plunked his noggin against a holstered Sig P228 carried AIWB.

claymore504
01-07-2020, 07:25 AM
I have conceal carried with 4 kids over the years. I had concerns like you. I ended up with a Shield w/manual safety. Also go with a holster with very good retention. I usually have mine in a Safariland ALS type. This also allows me to easly take it off in the holster when I am going to be in the floor wrestling with my 3 year old and 7 year old sons.

FreedomFries
01-07-2020, 10:35 AM
Have 2 kids. I also prefer AIWB because I can more easily control it. Have mostly been carrying B92s. As HCountyGuy mentioned, you have to watch out for the headbutt. I used to be paranoid that they would kick it out of the holster, but since I became a dad, I've been getting fat so now my dad gut acts like an extra retention device.

Irelander
01-07-2020, 04:07 PM
My only issues with carrying AIWB with a daughter from 0 to now 6 years old is that sometimes when picking her up my cover shirt gets pulled up above my pistol. I got that process squared away pretty quick. There have been a few instances of her running to give me a hug and her head connects hard with my pistol which cancels the hug pretty quick. Makes me feel bad. I now try to buffer those types of running hugs by putting my hand in front of the gun or turning my body a bit so she impacts the non-gun side.