PDA

View Full Version : Source for Med Training?

rd62
01-03-2020, 05:35 PM
One of my resolutions for the new year is to attend or host an instructor for a Stop the Bleed course this year.

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding one locally.

Can anyone recommend an instructor or resource to find an instructor either in central SC or willing to travel to central SC?

TGS
01-03-2020, 05:40 PM
I just checked the Stop the Bleed website for classes in SC, and it does seem that SC is quite lacking in classes.

Have you tried reaching out to a local EMS, fire, or police department to see if they offer public classes or know of those who do?

RJ
01-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Caleb Causey might be a source of a contact in SC:

https://www.lonestarmedics.com/about/

I have the same goal in 2020, and plan to take his session at the upcoming 3 day Rangemaster Tactical Conference in Dallas end of March.

rd62
01-03-2020, 06:39 PM
I just checked the Stop the Bleed website for classes in SC, and it does seem that SC is quite lacking in classes.

Have you tried reaching out to a local EMS, fire, or police department to see if they offer public classes or know of those who do?

Good idea

rd62
01-03-2020, 06:42 PM
Caleb Causey might be a source of a contact in SC:

https://www.lonestarmedics.com/about/

I have the same goal in 2020, and plan to take his session at the upcoming 3 day Rangemaster Tactical Conference in Dallas end of March.

Thanks! I'll reach out to Mr Causey.

TheNewbie
01-03-2020, 08:58 PM

What is your opinion of stop the bleed courses?

0ddl0t
01-03-2020, 09:16 PM
My Duckduckgo-fu comes up with:

https://www.palmettohealth.org/locations-directions/specialty-centers/trauma-center/injury-prevention-programs/stop-the-bleed

The Bleeding Control Basic (BCON) Course is used and recommended by the American College of Surgeons, Committee on Trauma, and the Hartford Consensus to provide such training.

For more information on this life-saving training, please contact:
Mark Morris, Pre-Hospital Liaison: 803-434-1458
Email: BCON@PalmettoHealth.org

You also have Red Cross's first aid: https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/search?cgid=first-aid&zip=Lexington%2C+SC%2C+USA&latitude=33.9815369&longitude=-81.23621070000002&zipcode=&searchtype=class

Odin Bravo One
01-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Lone Star Medics.

TCB
01-03-2020, 09:32 PM
I’m an EMT for the USBP, was assigned to teach basic trauma care to our Agents for a year or so and the absolute best training I’ve had was from Kerry Davis of Dark Angel Medical. I’ve been to a lot of different classes from other former .Mil & SF Medics and Kerry’s instruction is second to none. I borrow (steal) a lot of my teaching style from him and have been told I do a fairly good job...

scjbash
01-03-2020, 10:24 PM
I'm hosting Stop the Bleed regularly now. Compared to something like a Dark Angel course it's very basic. It's a good bare minimum class that everyone with no training should get into, but you're not going to learn near as much in it. They are apples and oranges.

I was very impressed with the Dark Angel class and plan on hosting them as well. If you have the budget for something like it or Lone Star that's the route I'd go.

SeriousStudent
01-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Caleb and family are friends. He does travel. I've taken several of his classes and found him to be top-notch.

I'll reach out to him, and ask him to get in touch with you. If you want to PM me your contact info, I'll pass it onto him.

rd62
01-04-2020, 11:57 AM
Caleb and family are friends. He does travel. I've taken several of his classes and found him to be top-notch.

I'll reach out to him, and ask him to get in touch with you. If you want to PM me your contact info, I'll pass it onto him.

Thanks, PM sent!

SeriousStudent
01-04-2020, 03:30 PM
Got it, forwarding info to Caleb.

Thanks.

TGS
01-04-2020, 05:30 PM
What is your opinion of stop the bleed courses?

Entirely dependent on the instructor.

The goal is to disseminate very basic skills as widely as possible, so the quality suffers.

I teach it in a 4 hour format instead of the common 1 hour format. If lacking other classes, I would 100% recommend it just to get some sort of clue, but there's a lot of skill craft that doesn't get taught in the average class and is completely foreign knowledge to 99% of the instructors; such knowledge can really make a difference in care, especially when you get into wound packing.

ST911
01-04-2020, 05:57 PM
Entirely dependent on the instructor.

The goal is to disseminate very basic skills as widely as possible, so the quality suffers.

I teach it in a 4 hour format instead of the common 1 hour format. If lacking other classes, I would 100% recommend it just to get some sort of clue, but there's a lot of skill craft that doesn't get taught in the average class and is completely foreign knowledge to 99% of the instructors; such knowledge can really make a difference in care, especially when you get into wound packing.

This. I think STB is a worthy effort, but quality varies widely. It's so easy to do well, or not. In talking to other folks that do STB, a minority actually list their classes on the website and most are doing the STB as a component piece of a better class.