PDA

View Full Version : Going all in - on Glocks

Clobbersaurus
01-02-2020, 07:50 PM
The older I get the less stuff I want. I feel weighted down by it, claustrophobic almost. So last fall, after my last match, I decided to sell off all my other other handguns, their associated holsters and mags and bits and pieces, and go all in on Glock 19’s and 17’s.

It’s been awesome to purge all my other handguns and gear. Now I just have one parts bin (though the Gen 5’s do complicate the parts situation slightly), one holster bin, and basically one mag bin (I typically use G17 mags in my G19 at the range). I no longer have to keep track of all the extra holsters, mags, manuals, sights, grips, triggers, parts, etc, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I love guns and gear, but I feel like I’ve reached as stage in my life where I just want to learn how to shoot better. I don’t want the hassle of moving on to the next best thing and I can’t imagine my Glocks would ever hold me back as a shooter. I‘m just not good enough to say Glocks aren’t good enough. What they are good at is simplicity, reliability, and shootability. Parts are easy to find, and the guns are simple to work on and keep running. There is no hassle or drama with them, which makes them perfect for me.

I now own 5 Glocks; A Gen 2 G19, a Gen 4 G19, two Gen 5 G17’s and one Gen 2 G17. The Gen 2 G19 I keep set up with a stock trigger and Ameriglo CAP night sights. The Gen 4 G19 is totally stock and has a permanent home in my KPOS Scout. The Gen 5’s are my primary and secondary competition guns and will be set up identically with Dawson sights and trigger bits. The Gen 2 G17 is another backup that I can’t part with - I love Gen 2’s - it has Dawson adjustable sights.

So now I have a couple less hanguns, and a bunch less mags, holsters, and parts and bits. Maybe something will come along in the future to make me change my mind about Glocks, but it would have to be something pretty special.

https://i.imgur.com/mtfscTB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/in8HT7u.jpg

GJM
01-02-2020, 08:24 PM
I am quite concerned about the wide variety of grip tape shapes you are using — don’t you think you should standardize on just one configuration? :p

Maca
01-02-2020, 08:24 PM
I went all in on a Glock as well a couple of years ago, and have gone so far as to only carry and shoot a Glock 45 with an RMR, mounted using Agency Arms’ AOS system. Love it.

Now I need the courage to get rid of all the other guns, which are sitting in a safe, cleaned and oiled. Their mags, holsters and spare parts are in separate bins.

pangloss
01-02-2020, 08:32 PM
The idea of consolidation is very attractive to me, but I just can't bring myself to implement it. I like having examples of guns even if I rarely shoot them.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

M2CattleCo
01-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Yep. They're just stuff.

camsdaddy
01-02-2020, 08:47 PM
The older I get the less stuff I want. I feel weighted down by it, claustrophobic almost. So last fall, after my last match, I decided to sell off all my other other handguns, their associated holsters and mags and bits and pieces, and go all in on Glock 19’s and 17’s.

It’s been awesome to purge all my other handguns and gear. Now I just have one parts bin (though the Gen 5’s do complicate the parts situation slightly), one holster bin, and basically one mag bin (I typically use G17 mags in my G19 at the range). I no longer have to keep track of all the extra holsters, mags, manuals, sights, grips, triggers, parts, etc, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I love guns and gear, but I feel like I’ve reached as stage in my life where I just want to learn how to shoot better. I don’t want the hassle of moving on to the next best thing and I can’t imagine my Glocks would ever hold me back as a shooter. I‘m just not good enough to say Glocks aren’t good enough. What they are good at is simplicity, reliability, and shootability. Parts are easy to find, and the guns are simple to work on and keep running. There is no hassle or drama with them, which makes them perfect for me.

I now own 5 Glocks; A Gen 2 G19, a Gen 4 G19, two Gen 5 G17’s and one Gen 2 G17. The Gen 2 G19 I keep set up with a stock trigger and Ameriglo CAP night sights. The Gen 4 G19 is totally stock and has a permanent home in my KPOS Scout. The Gen 5’s are my primary and secondary competition guns and will be set up identically with Dawson sights and trigger bits. The Gen 2 G17 is another backup that I can’t part with - I love Gen 2’s - it has Dawson adjustable sights.

So now I have a couple less hanguns, and a bunch less mags, holsters, and parts and bits. Maybe something will come along in the future to make me change my mind about Glocks, but it would have to be something pretty special.

Are one of these set up as your carry gun?

RJ
01-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Agree 100%.

Once the Gen 5 came out, and the SCD was available, I switched over. G19, then a G26. Did not warm to the G26 so traded it for a 43X. I’m on the list for a G44. Also have a blue G19.

It is kinda nice to have all common logistics stuff; holsters, mags (granted not exactly in my case), sights, tools etc.

blues
01-02-2020, 08:58 PM
I like the way you think, Clobbersaurus.

LOKNLOD
01-02-2020, 09:19 PM
I can't disagree with the logic. I just enjoy guns too dang much and end up with all sorts. I like to say I'm married to Glocks, but it's a hollywood hippy open marriage and they let me fool around with other guns because they know I'll always come back.

I dig the little mini-carbine. Did you SBR the G19.4? ETA: Disregard, see note below about locale. Sorry. Shame it's not that easy here in the states.

KevH
01-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Reminds me of this little post, which had quite a bit of influence on me personally for something I read on the internets:

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/why-glock-why-9mm

WobblyPossum
01-02-2020, 09:22 PM
OP is in Canada where the SBR rules are quite different.

medmo
01-02-2020, 09:31 PM
Well done. I’ve done similar with the collection of itty bitty single stack 9mm’s of which none I could shoot very well. It felt very liberating to let them all go.

Doc_Glock
01-02-2020, 10:26 PM
I can't disagree with the logic. I just enjoy guns too dang much and end up with all sorts. I like to say I'm married to Glocks, but it's a hollywood hippy open marriage and they let me fool around with other guns because they know I'll always come back.

😂😂😂😂 Nailed me exactly.

Doc_Glock
01-02-2020, 10:28 PM
Clobbersaurus good for you. Lots of respect and I would like to
think I can do the same. Maybe someday.

LockedBreech
01-02-2020, 10:44 PM
I have not yet matured enough to pare my collection down to one make, but I've made progress

1.) I've stopped buying cheap .40s (or really anything except 9 and 45)
2.) I dedicate at least 80% of range time to carry guns
3.) I solely use Glocks and M2.0s for serious home defense or carry, so I'm practicing with a uniform trigger system

Might not be much, but read my posts from like, 2016. I've come a ways. I think I'll always like collecting just a little too much to reach your standard, but I salute it.

Btp2332
01-02-2020, 10:51 PM
Good thread and I feel the same way. 14 years ago my dad gave me a Glock 27 when I graduated the police academy. Since then I have had 9 Glock’s. Currently still have 6. I have tried some other more expensive pistols (I don’t want to get into a make bashing convo) and reliability and simplicity does not match especially after going through GLOCK armory. I’m fond of my little Ruger lcp ll and very pleased with my new Springfield Hellcat but other then that, my issued model 23 gets the nod every day for plain clothes carry and I trust it with my life. That’s the most comfortable feeling in this gun game we play.

Clobbersaurus
01-02-2020, 11:32 PM
I am quite concerned about the wide variety of grip tape shapes you are using — don’t you think you should standardize on just one configuration? :p

LOL - I wish. A few years ago I went to the local skater shop and bought a bunch of their heavy duty skate tape. It’s worked pretty well, but I recently found out that heating it with a hair dryer immediately after first adhesion makes it stay on much longer. Glock almost got the Gen 5 grip texture perfect, they just missed a critical spot, at least for me. The Gen 2’s are slippery as hell, so it gets the full treatment.

Yep. They're just stuff.

Well, my Elite II was really hard to let go. I had instant sellers remorse, but the likelihood of me shooting it much was low, so off it went.

Are one of these set up as your carry gun?

I’m in Canada. No carry guns allowed here.

Totem Polar
01-02-2020, 11:39 PM
I like the way you think, Clobbersaurus.

Yeah.... except...

https://www.knifeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/it9en.jpg

;)

TheNewbie
01-03-2020, 12:03 AM
Glock probably is the answer I *should* accept.

Duelist
01-03-2020, 02:43 AM
Glock probably is the answer I *should* accept.

I think I have. Mostly.

But I don’t think I’m going to sell *everything* else as a result. My Beretta is kind of a memento of my military service. My revolvers are pretty much to the collection I’ve always kind of wanted: all but two are DA S&W, and the two that aren’t are a Ruger Single Six and a Colt Navy clone.

But as far as training, carry, competitions, etc are concerned, we are now a Glock house.

Cypher
01-03-2020, 02:51 AM
I did this four years ago. I posted about it here and I was very surprised at the number of people who were in agreement with me that it was a good idea.

What I find interesting is that as time has gone on several of those same people had suggested to me that instead of limiting myself to one platform I limit myself to one gun.

I do find that when I go to the range and I shoot the one gun, my Glock 19 I get more out of the session. I don't think I've shot anything but my Glock 19 or my glock 26 in probably three years.

camsdaddy
01-03-2020, 07:33 AM
I have considered this approach. I am pretty much narrowed down to J frames and 9mm Glocks. If I were to narrow down to one it would probably be the J frame. I pocket carry 5 days a week at work. On the weekends and evenings I normally have my Glock 26. I guess I could narrow it to 60/642 and 45 or 19/26 this would be 4 guns for a year. I have considered going strictly J frame and on the nights and weekends adding a Model 60 to my 642 in my pocket.

mmc45414
01-03-2020, 07:53 AM
I have also truncated on the variety, though not as much as you have. A while back I realized I had Glocks and M&Ps and XDs and 9mm and 40 and 45 and decided that was striker fired insanity. But when I sold off all the other stuff I bought more (M&P, in my case) stuff, it is still MUCH simpler. Like most of the time I use the JMCK IWB-3 with the PTD loops, but from time to time I want the one with the clip on it, it is easy to have a variety of gear when you do not have a variety of guns.

But I have not gone totally Amish:
I have a handful of J-Frames for when I want that simplicity and portability, and I have plans for a couple more.
I have a handful of 1911s, and have plans for several more, because 1911.
I have a few nice revolvers and want moar.
I do NOT have a pistol with a MRD, so...

Part of this simplification makes money for other stuff. For example I recently sold off a couple of Remingtons to get money to buy another Beretta. And I recently gave away a couple of muzzleloaders to reduce the crowding in the overcrowded safe, making room for a couple more rifles that interest me.

But I am all in for this simplification thing, am I doing it wrong?!?!?!? :cool:

GAP
01-03-2020, 07:53 AM
I was fortunate enough to figure this out in my late 20s. :)

Saved a whole lot of money over the years... well maybe not, it went to ammo. I sure improved as a shooter though.

I’ll upgrade when plasma blasters are available.

Padwan
01-03-2020, 08:15 AM
Did the same thing in 2019. Got rid of every pistol I had and got a pair of G17s (a G4 and a G5). I really wanted to plunge deep into DA/SA but the reality was I could only shoot twice a week and I didn’t want to queue at a smith if anything went wrong with the guns. The Glock is pretty much plug and play as far as parts replacements go, and the parts are inexpensive and almost always available. (Am also lucky in that my G4 has behaved well and hasn’t given me any grief yet.)

I also appreciated not needing a box full of holsters. Between a Tenicor Velo, Tenicor ARX, and a Comp Tac International, I’m set for anything club matches to CCW.

I will say this: I’ve found the Glock unforgiving of lapses in fundamentals. I can get away with less than perfect technique with a 1911, 2011, or CZ, but i’d get careless with a Glock, it’ll let me know right away. I’ve come to like that. The good news is that I now have enough savings to spend on ammo and range time. What’s not to like?

Nephrology
01-03-2020, 09:22 AM
I've shot Glock pistols more or less exclusively since I bought my first Glock 19 back in 2010. No regrets.

spinmove_
01-03-2020, 09:27 AM
For the most part I’ve shifted to this mindset and setup. I do however have a few other guns because part of me is an enthusiast and I appreciate other things than Glocks. I carry a J-frame more often than not, just got a 1911 because I’ve always wanted one, have a couple SIGs because a P229 was my first love, and a Beretta 92 because it was so prevalent in movies when I was a kid and they’re just damn nice to shoot.

But for serious reasons and competition I’m back to Glocks and most likely will be for the foreseeable future. There’s a certain beauty in their simplicity and they just plain work. I just with they were a tad more ergonomic and had good 10-round magazines.

CWM11B
01-03-2020, 09:44 AM
I cannot disagree with this in the slightest, and have vacillated on the subject myself. I've got a ridiculous number of pistols I have not shot in years just sitting there. Every time I think about it however, I end up going through them and having a "not yet" moment. In about ten years, I believe I'll be ready. Then, or if we have another panic and I can get savage scalper prices for my stuff. If I ever do it, I'll settle on three samples of either a Glock or M&P, and a couple of J frames. And probably two ARs and a shotgun or two.

Although I like the M&P much better, I'd probably settle on Glock. It is slightly easier to work on and parts are more readily available. I can also see a day where it's just J frames. There is even a scenario where they ALL go for me: moving to the Caribbean or some other places I'm intrigued by which do not allow for gun ownership.

Robinson
01-03-2020, 09:51 AM
I think most everyone who is a member here understands the value in training/practicing with a primary handgun type to get the most out of that practice. This isn't really a "carry rotation" type of forum. Beyond that, there's nothing wrong with having other types of guns for various reasons -- enjoyment, nostalgia, cool factor, whatever.

I also see no reason not to experiment with other guns from time to time, because it's valuable to understand the various action types. That kind of experimentation can sometimes lead to a revelation and possibly even to switching to that gun. How else can you determine what works best for you? The problem comes with switching back and forth constantly, though some people might be able to do that and be okay.

I shoot and carry 1911s, but each time I bring my Glock 34 out and shoot it I appreciate it for what it is. And the developments in the Beretta 92 world in the last couple years have me tempted to give a 92 variant another try, because I understand the advantages a DA/SA gun can bring. This stuff can drive you nuts if you let it, but it's all good as long as you don't allow experimentation to become more prevalent than actual relevant practice.

YVK
01-03-2020, 10:01 AM
It is a good move and is something I've considered myself. Time investment to pull it off, near certain financial losses, and finding other guns unexpectedly useful again after years of owning them has stayed in the way.

JRV
01-03-2020, 10:09 AM
There is even a scenario where they ALL go for me: moving to the Caribbean or some other places I'm intrigued by which do not allow for gun ownership.

Puerto Rico has passed legislation to incorporate the protections of the Second Amendment.

An airweight J-frame seems fit for the island life.

blues
01-03-2020, 10:15 AM
I cannot disagree with this in the slightest, and have vacillated on the subject myself. I've got a ridiculous number of pistols I have not shot in years just sitting there. Every time I think about it however, I end up going through them and having a "not yet" moment. In about ten years, I believe I'll be ready. Then, or if we have another panic and I can get savage scalper prices for my stuff. If I ever do it, I'll settle on three samples of either a Glock or M&P, and a couple of J frames. And probably two ARs and a shotgun or two.

Although I like the M&P much better, I'd probably settle on Glock. It is slightly easier to work on and parts are more readily available. I can also see a day where it's just J frames. There is even a scenario where they ALL go for me: moving to the Caribbean or some other places I'm intrigued by which do not allow for gun ownership.

I'm pretty much there now. 3 Glocks. 1 J frame. 1 AR. 1 Shotgun. (Or, what Tony at JMCK refers to as "nearly a Democrat" ;))

(We won't discuss things with sharp edges. That's gonna take a few years.)

Darth_Uno
01-03-2020, 10:28 AM
I switched from all 1911 to all Glock. Never would’ve predicted that 7-8 years ago. I still have one Dan Wesson, and a Smith 19-3 just because it seems like a damn shame to sell it.

Doesn’t have to be Glock but consolidating down to one platform, at least for training, definitely streamlines your ability to track progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAH 3rd
01-03-2020, 10:30 AM
I dusted off a safe queen about a month ago. I then purchased a Glock 17 Gen 5 with Glock night sights. On my first outing I put 308 rounds through it ( do you think the spirit world is telling me I need a .308? ). Anyhow, the pistol worked 100% and was a joy to shoot! Yeah, the Glock is the way to go for simplicity of gunsmithing and parts availability.

gato naranja
01-03-2020, 11:37 AM
I was fortunate enough to figure this out in my late 20s. :).

I wish I had been so prescient. It took me until my 40's to just downsize to fewer chamberings... that alone saved some money and headaches over the years.

Glocks in 9mm would be the LOGICAL way for me to go, but I really prefer the Beretta PX4 now that I am getting along in years. I think I could narrow things down that far and not feel too constrained.

g n

CWM11B
01-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Puerto Rico has passed legislation to incorporate the protections of the Second Amendment.

An airweight J-frame seems fit for the island life.

So I've heard. I didnt leave anything there when I left, and all of my areas of interest are below the hurricane strike zone :cool:
@blues (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=13538): Yeah, dont get me started on all of my Mcstabby stuff...

Quantrill
01-03-2020, 12:31 PM
It is a good move and is something I've considered myself. Time investment to pull it off, near certain financial losses, and finding other guns unexpectedly useful again after years of owning them has stayed in the way.

This.

I also find that as my kids progress in their shooting I often have “just the thing” in the back of the safe.

Darth_Uno
01-03-2020, 01:19 PM
This.

I also find that as my kids progress in their shooting I often have “just the thing” in the back of the safe.

Yes. I should add that I also have a Taurus .22 revolver. While I wouldn't otherwise want it if I hadn't inherited it from my grandpa, it's just the ticket for letting young shooters hit steel plates at 10 yards.

Clobbersaurus
01-03-2020, 03:17 PM
I also see no reason not to experiment with other guns from time to time, because it's valuable to understand the various action types. That kind of experimentation can sometimes lead to a revelation and possibly even to switching to that gun. How else can you determine what works best for you? The problem comes with switching back and forth constantly, though some people might be able to do that and be okay.

I’ve been there and done all that. I’ve owned most major brands at one time or another. My first IPSC gun was a Beretta Elite II, which I shot really well, but getting parts was always a pain and finding sights that worked for me proved impossible. Like I said above, I still love guns and gear, I just feel like I don’t need variety to still be an enthusiast.

Thanks for mentioning that, your points should not be understated. I took all of October off from training and resolved to try to sell off all my stuff during that month. It mostly worked and everything was gone by the first week of November. The time investment in this was moderate and the financial loss was likely a couple grand or more. Most of my guns had moderate to heavy wear so, there was that, but they all functioned and shot perfectly. Many folks got a great deal, especially on the mags.

Robinson
01-03-2020, 03:20 PM
I’ve been there and done all that. I’ve owned most major brands at one time or another. My first IPSC gun was a Beretta Elite II, which I shot really well, but getting parts was always a pain and finding sights that worked for me proved impossible. Like I said above, I still love guns and gear, I just feel like I don’t need variety to still be an enthusiast.

Sorry man, the "you" in my post was meant to be a general "you" and not meant as trying to instruct you personally in your path and I should have stated such.

spence
01-04-2020, 12:40 AM
I got hit really hard with the desire to get decent in pistolcraft a year ago. I had been a bit of several things, mostly XD (don't make fun of me, I do still own a couple, too), but when I started shooting DA/SA, I quickly decided that was the system I wanted to get good at.

So now I'm a Beretta junkie, and I'll be mostly/largely on the 92 series. There's that weirdness of railed vs non railed, and that could prove annoying if I get a railed copy, but we'll cross that bridge later. I tend to gravitate toward M9/92FS or M9A1 frames. It makes life pretty simple, with holster and mag compatibility. I have a heap of mags for them, and can run the full size mags in the compact, if desired.

I did add a PX4 compact to the mix, and it would be more a of a range toy if it wasn't for the fact that the short barrel makes it really handy on the draw, and the hammer doesn't seem to bite that last bit of tactical shelf I still have.

I've still got the other pistols, and don't see cause to shell them all off, but my shooting is focused on the M9/92 80% or more.

call_me_ski
01-04-2020, 02:08 AM
Glock is a mature system that is as good as any to invest in.

A lot is said about modular systems such as the Sig 320 but other than making stippling easier they don’t offer much to the end user. I find that I bought a second pistol to avoid taking a weapon light on an off for different methods of carry. Can’t imagine switching the configuration of the pistol regularly. Maybe I am projecting my laziness into others.

A Glock however, want a 9mm compact? They got you. 357sig? Still in production. Single stack compact 45? Done. Long slide 10mm? Just swipe the card. Biggest network of LE dealers out there? Check. Do you need parts? They grow out of the ground.

They are accurate, simple, reliable and durable. If you shoot them well I see no reason to not invest into them.

Bucky
01-04-2020, 07:31 AM
I wouldn’t know where to begin. :eek:

If I were to thin down, I’d start with some of the Glocks to be honest.

If one were to reduce to one platform, it’s hard to argue with Glock. For me the simplicity thing is overrated. VW Beatles were simple cars, fewer moving parts, and easy to work on, but doesn’t mean I’d want to drive only them for the rest of my life.

What GLOCK also has is a very broad spectrum of sizes and calibers, from the 42 to the 40, and everything between. Also the availability of parts, both aftermarket and factory are second to none (maybe not the 1911). Recently I went back to my 19 for carry over my 92 Compact. I’d much rather be carrying the compact, but I really like the holster I have for the 19, which is not available for any 92 variant.

pew_pew
01-04-2020, 08:41 AM
Glock is always the answer.

It’s fun to talk about other stuff and shoot other stuff for fun but really, no reason not to shoot a Glock for really anything. But forums and stuff would be really boring so.

zpelletier
01-04-2020, 09:27 AM
Glock’s simplicity and reliability make it the best option for most people, but not everyone. I wanted to switch to just Glocks, however I live in a 10 round state. As far as I know Glock has yet to come out with a reliable 10 round magazine. So if I wanted to consolidate down to a single platform it unfortunately can’t be Glock (Maybe a VP9, idk I’m not crazy about M&P). But I do think focusing on a single platform makes the most sense. I don’t think the average person has enough time to spend learning multiple platforms and being as proficient with each as they would be if they just focused on one.

gato naranja
01-04-2020, 09:29 AM
A lot is said about modular systems such as the Sig 320 but other than making stippling easier they don’t offer much to the end user. I find that I bought a second pistol to avoid taking a weapon light on an off for different methods of carry. Can’t imagine switching the configuration of the pistol regularly. Maybe I am projecting my laziness into others.

The only thing I own with a serialized modular chassis is my NanX*, so I can't speak from authority on this topic, but I suspect that I would not do a lot of changing things around either. Heck, I ended up not even doing much barrel swapping when I was into T/C Contenders some years ago, and that was easy as pie.

(Mrs. gato naranja: "You need another Contender? I thought you said that you'd only need one and then you'd just get extra barrels.")

g n

*Nano with an APX Carry grip frame. It is an odd bird that has worked out WAY better than it had any right to.

Duelist
01-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Glock’s simplicity and reliability make it the best option for most people, but not everyone. I wanted to switch to just Glocks, however I live in a 10 round state. As far as I know Glock has yet to come out with a reliable 10 round magazine. So if I wanted to consolidate down to a single platform it unfortunately can’t be Glock (Maybe a VP9, idk I’m not crazy about M&P). But I do think focusing on a single platform makes the most sense. I don’t think the average person has enough time to spend learning multiple platforms and being as proficient with each as they would be if they just focused on one.

Sure, they make reliable 10 round magazines: the G26 magazine is as reliable as it gets. But you’re right, the full-length magazines for 10 round states seem to leave something to be desired in reliability. Wish they’d just mod their regular mags for tube length and have the normal cartridge stack like everyone else.

Clobbersaurus
01-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Glock’s simplicity and reliability make it the best option for most people, but not everyone. I wanted to switch to just Glocks, however I live in a 10 round state. As far as I know Glock has yet to come out with a reliable 10 round magazine.

I’ve seen this comment before on this forum and I always scratch my head when I see it. I live in a 10 round country and I exclusively shoot Glock OEM 10 round mags. I can say they are very reliable with everything I have run through them, though 99% of it has been ball range ammo and a large portion of that American Eagle 124g. I‘M not so sure about defensive type ammo as I’ve not shot more than a handful of boxes through my Glocks, but it was always reliable as well.

Alpha Sierra
01-04-2020, 11:54 AM
Glock is always the answer.

That trope gets tiresome. Believe it or not, some have given them a fair shake, found them wanting, and moved on to other designs with fewer issues.

These two have proved to me to be superior in many ways to the 17 Gen 4 they replaced

Having said that, I'm not much of a collector and stick to what works for me. All my handguns are either 9x19 CZs or 38 Spcl/357 Mag S&W revolvers.

call_me_ski
01-04-2020, 12:34 PM
Why would you stipple a P10C? Those things were so frame rough you could use them as a wood file. Which I consider a feature.

Alpha Sierra
01-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Why would you stipple a P10C? Those things were so frame rough you could use them as a wood file. Which I consider a feature.
Their OEM texture on the front and back strap is adequate. The side texturing is not adequate where applied and it's not applied at all in places where it needs to be. I've since re-strippled over the dimples on the sides with a linear, diagonal pattern that opposes the pistol's rotational motion against the hands.

I stipple all polymer handguns.

zpelletier
01-04-2020, 02:39 PM
I’ve seen this comment before on this forum and I always scratch my head when I see it. I live in a 10 round country and I exclusively shoot Glock OEM 10 round mags. I can say they are very reliable with everything I have run through them, though 99% of it has been ball range ammo and a large portion of that American Eagle 124g. I‘M not so sure about defensive type ammo as I’ve not shot more than a handful of boxes through my Glocks, but it was always reliable as well.

Well, I had a Gen4 G19 with magazines that were not reliable at all.

Also, all of DOCGKR posts on here about extensive testing showing Glocks 10 round 19/17 size magazines to be less reliable than the full capacity magazines.

But some people have good luck with theirs and others don’t. But from my experience research there’s been too many issues to trust them. Like P320s, some people have issues and others don’t, but I don’t view them as reliable.

GearFondler
01-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Well, I had a Gen4 G19 with magazines that were not reliable at all.

Also, all of DOCGKR posts on here about extensive testing showing Glocks 10 round 19/17 size magazines to be less reliable than the full capacity magazines.

But some people have good luck with theirs and others don’t. But from my experience research there’s been too many issues to trust them. Like P320s, some people have issues and others don’t, but I don’t view them as reliable.It's like Magpul's Glock Mags... Some people swear by them and some people swear at them.

Duces Tecum
01-04-2020, 07:48 PM
I don't think I've shot anything but my Glock 19 or my glock 26 in probably three years.

Like you, I've recently trended towards the G-26 as my exclusive sidearms. The matter is in the self-imposed 12 month proof of concept stage and I haven't quite sent the G-19s down the road yet, but they sense renewal of their contract is not as certain as it once was.

The move turned on the silliest thing: the Pearce Magazine Extension, which creates a place for the little finger to go. Prior to the Mag Ext my small finger would curl beneath the grip and pull the shot low. That no longer happens. My G-26 shoots fully as accurately as the G-19s, but benefits from a smaller overall footprint.

Here's a Mag Ext link:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AT1GJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once the concept is proven, if that's the way it turns out, I'll next talk to Tony about his pancake OWB I, built so the gun is carried extra high. Think of something like the Mitch Rosen "Upper Limit", but with the holster just a little higher, extending no lower than the bottom of the belt, and with a 20* cant to make the draw as smooth as possible.

"Upper Limit" link:
https://mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/belt-holsters/

Cypher
01-04-2020, 08:14 PM
Like you, I've recently trended towards the G-26 as my exclusive sidearms. The matter is in the self-imposed 12 month proof of concept stage and I haven't quite sent the G-19s down the road yet, but they sense renewal of their contract is not as certain as it once was.

The move turned on the silliest thing: the Pearce Magazine Extension, which creates a place for the little finger to go. Prior to the Mag Ext my small finger would curl beneath the grip and pull the shot low. That no longer happens. My G-26 shoots fully as accurately as the G-19s, but benefits from a smaller overall footprint.

Here's a Mag Ext link:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AT1GJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once the concept is proven, if that's the way it turns out, I'll next talk to Tony about his pancake OWB I, built so the gun is carried extra high. Think of something like the Mitch Rosen "Upper Limit", but with the holster just a little higher, extending no lower than the bottom of the belt, and with a 20* cant to make the draw as smooth as possible.

"Upper Limit" link:

I really like the OEM extensions. They give me more grip without really compromising concealablity.

https://i.postimg.cc/BbGBp6yL/20190628_145740.jpg (https://postimg.cc/r0Q4F8qM)

I also have a dozen Magpul 12 round magazines. The only thing I don't like about them is they don't drop free. So they're for range use only.

https://i.postimg.cc/tT8kFpbd/20180724_061436.jpg (https://postimg.cc/njYqJ8CM)

I can't imagine ever selling my 19

pangloss
01-04-2020, 09:34 PM

"Upper Limit" link:

If it gets to that point, please start a thread detailing a holster. I'd be very interested in getting one.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
01-04-2020, 11:14 PM
For those in ten round states who don’t like the Glock 26 for whatever reason, have you considered the newer 48 or 43X? Reliable 10 round mags and a full three finger grip in a slimmer package than the 19. The only negative is that they recoil slightly more than the double stack guns.

ETA: I’ve spent the last few years bouncing between wanting to consolidate and accepting that I love random guns. I remember listening to a P&S episode where Chuck Pressburg said something to the effect of “when I open my gun safe you don’t see a ton of random guns, a Beretta here, a CZ there, it looks more like an arms room. It’s Glock, Glock, Glock, AR, AR, AR.” I’m sort of there. I have five double stack 9mm Glocks if you count the MR918 as one. My only other handguns are an LTT Beretta 92 and a S&W DAO 64-5. A part of me still wants to sell the non-Glocks and buy ammo with the money. I haven’t shot the revolver in almost two years. A part of me would regret it but that would probably go away quickly. It would also be logical to get rid of my AUG because it’s not an AR but I really like it. That’s a gun I think I’d actually have seller’s remorse about if I got rid of it. I’m less sure about my 1301. I’ve never been a huge shotgun guy. I mostly own it because it feels like it would be wrong not to have a shotgun. Also it’s my only long gun that isn’t an evil, scary “assault weapon.”

Sometimes I feel like getting rid of almost all of my material possessions and living in a van. These conflicting feelings likely come from the fact that my dad was a hoarder and I absolutely hated it growing up. I inherently look at the idea of minimalism and consolidation as a positive because it’s the opposite of hoarding.

Jason M
01-05-2020, 12:12 AM

Well, it could be Glock. 43X or 48 as others have mentioned.

Wendell
01-05-2020, 12:18 AM
Why would you stipple a P10C?

An anti-theft feature, maybe? ; )

Totem Polar
01-05-2020, 12:48 AM
Some of you hair-shirters are giving me the willies. ;)

Don’t get me wrong, I have settled on 9mm Glocks and snub .38 revolvers for anything remotely close to serious, myself.

But life isn’t always serious. What can I say? If you don’t own a semi-auto .22LR rifle, as well as some sort of manual .22LR (bolt, lever, pump... especially a pump gun) then you are missing out. The most fun a body can have walking around in the woods plinking at anything and everything is not done with a Glock. JMO.

I shoot either a Glock or an LCR every trip to the range for drill, but I also shoot 40 rounds from a takedown 10/22 each trip too, just because (backpacker stock: 3 rotary mags in the stock, and one in the gun).

zpelletier
01-05-2020, 07:56 AM
For those in ten round states who don’t like the Glock 26 for whatever reason, have you considered the newer 48 or 43X? Reliable 10 round mags and a full three finger grip in a slimmer package than the 19. The only negative is that they recoil slightly more than the double stack guns.

These are relatively new options, not that that’s a bad thing. I have a Glock 43 thats I’ve had for years, but it’s just too small for my hands. I haven’t had a chance to shoot a 43x/48 yet, but I’m pretty sure I’ll at least get rid of my 43 for a 43x. The only reason I’ve kept it is because it conceals so easily, especially in summer under a t shirt. But for me if I want to consolidate to one platform I don’t want to be limited to subcompact/single stack 9mm guns. People make the argument that if you’re stuck with 10 rounds why would you want anything bigger than a 43x, and my response is usually that I shoot bigger guns better, Im sure there are people who can shoot a 43x just as well as a 17, but I’m not that good. I had a 19 that I loved, except that the magazines I had weren’t reliable so I couldn’t trust it as my main firearm.

Captiva
01-05-2020, 10:29 AM
...Time investment to pull it off, near certain financial losses,...

Your thoughts please: I have collected only "gently used", and/or well below market used guns in hope to avoid near certain financial losses when I, or my heirs go to sell my collection.

Am I crazy in thinking this is possible?

OP: congratulations on the life changing decision. Well done.

YVK
01-06-2020, 12:40 AM
You are probably better protected that way. The question is really "what market is going to be like within intended timeframe of sale". A lot of used guns never move for the lack of demand, especially when the industry is producing new models in an unprecedented rates. I've a couple of now used guns I can probably make money on if I tried to sell them now, as well as a couple of guns I will never recoup the costs of.

My hope is to shoot the life out of my gaming CZs and sell the rest of the stuff along the way. Glocks, 1911s and J frames stay.

Cypher
01-06-2020, 04:06 AM
You are probably better protected that way. The question is really "what market is going to be like within intended timeframe of sale". A lot of used guns never move for the lack of demand, especially when the industry is producing new models in an unprecedented rates.

This.

I have an LC9 that I use maybe three times a year when I cannot be caught with a gun. I don't remember what we paid for it but as far as I can tell there is ZERO demand for them at any price. So I'm probably stuck with that one but even if it's not the gun I'd prefer it's still adequate to the task.

I also have a First Generation M&P9 that I'll probably never carry again and again once the 2.0 came out demand for them fell to almost nil.

BUT I read a post in the Ammunition sub forum by Dr. Roberts that said the M&P is one of the better built pistols available today so I'm not too worried about keeping it.

rob_s
01-06-2020, 06:32 AM
It’s a pretty common thing in most people’s shooting career to “get serious” at some point and then either focus entirely on one platform, or even sell off everything else. I’ve don’t it a couple of times myself, the first being “settling” on 1911s but at least keeping my Glocks and later selling off all of the 1911s (having three semi-custom, $2k+ guns plus some others sitting around just didn’t make financial sense at the time) and going back to the Glock. In there somewhere I shot a CZ in matches for awhile, and found that by then my skills were either bad enough or good enough that it really didn’t hurt anything, but I also had a different opinion on base level skills with my carry gun than I once did.

Now I’m looking to get back into shooting some matches, and while I would love to have another CZ, I think the Glock is where I’ll wind up. Even thought I *could* go shoot with the gun and gear I have, sometimes having a new toy helps the motivation, so I’m passively in the market for a gen 5 G34 MOS. Fortunately, because of that consistent Glock geometry, and a little planning ahead last time I was buying gear, my whole USPSA setup will work just fine for my as-yet-un-purchased G34 OR any of the Glock 19s that are scattered around various safes.

Regardless of whether or not switching platforms maintains skill sets, it’s a fact that it reduces costs and confusion when in comes to ancillary gear. And no matter how rich you may be, being able to buy 3 holsters instead of 9, or 30 mags instead of 90, means extra money for real-life things like more meals out with family and friends, staying in a better hotel next time you travel for a match or class, more vacations, buying a slightly better bottle of rum next time, being able to afford Milwaukee instead of Ryobi... all things that matter way more than having a bunch of guns.

Alpha Sierra
01-06-2020, 08:31 AM
OP: congratulations on the life changing decision.

Life changing? It's exchanging some pistols for others. Not like getting diabetes or hypertension under control...…….

jmr986
01-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Reminds me of this little post, which had quite a bit of influence on me personally for something I read on the internets:

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/why-glock-why-9mm

Great article, thanks for sharing. Like most of us I’ve a bunch of guns in different calibers. But, I’m going to focus on one or 2 guns in 9mm.

JAH 3rd
01-07-2020, 08:24 AM
This.

I have an LC9 that I use maybe three times a year when I cannot be caught with a gun. I don't remember what we paid for it but as far as I can tell there is ZERO demand for them at any price. So I'm probably stuck with that one but even if it's not the gun I'd prefer it's still adequate to the task.

I also have a First Generation M&P9 that I'll probably never carry again and again once the 2.0 came out demand for them fell to almost nil.

BUT I read a post in the Ammunition sub forum by Dr. Roberts that said the M&P is one of the better built pistols available today so I'm not too worried about keeping it.

For me, the Gen 2 addresses a couple of issues I had with the 1.0 Comparing apples to apples, I have a full-size 45 acp M&P in both generations. The "2" has better frame stippling for a more secure grip. I found the "1" needed more adhesion properties and for me, the "2" solves that. The Gen 2 trigger is improved. This helps me maintain the sight picture as I pull through to ignition. Both have been 100% with any type of ammo I use.

Captiva
01-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Life changing? It's exchanging some pistols for others. Not like getting diabetes or hypertension under control...…….

Well AS, for some that do not have physical health concerns, behavior modifications can be life changing in other ways. I wish you wisdom in your latter years.

Alpha Sierra
01-08-2020, 04:42 PM
Well AS, for some that do not have physical health concerns, behavior modifications can be life changing in other ways. I wish you wisdom in your latter years.

If someone considers changing pistol brands as "life changing", that someone needs some serious perspective adjustment about what's really important in life.

Captiva
01-10-2020, 04:21 PM
If someone considers changing pistol brands as "life changing", that someone needs some serious perspective adjustment about what's really important in life.

You miss my point. Good luck to you, and GO BUCKEYES!