PDA

View Full Version : Footprint cut choice

UNK
12-31-2019, 02:11 PM
Based on whatever is available now or suspected to become available, which RDS footprint would you pick as the most “future proof” and best choice anticipating which company will be the dominate player for duty grade RDS.
Or, perhaps do you think that technology will evolve to the point that future foorprints wont resemble the ones today?
I am anticipating this will be an interesting convo.

pangloss
12-31-2019, 02:14 PM
Didn't the army pick the Leupold footprint? If so, I think that will give them an advantage.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

YVK
12-31-2019, 02:56 PM
MOS :D

Seriously, though... I have had and still have numerous directly milled slides on different guns, and I am on a third round of retrofitting. My first milled Glock had a JP optic cut, and I am glad Mark Housel was able to cut it for Unity Atom setup. Cajun just cut my Shadow 2 slide that had been cut for DPP to accept the SRO [the result is unconventional but so far works], and I just heard from Agency that they can put their stuff on my DPP'd Glock.

We don't have the dots that we need. We need an array of various sizes (concealment vs duty vs recreational), sealed emitter, waterproof, weatherproof, good battery life, good switchology, easy maintenance. Maybe they will come up with some nanotechnology pistol QD. Until then the adaptability will probably rule.

If I did one print now, it'd be RMR/SRO.

Wake27
12-31-2019, 06:13 PM
If I was setting up another RDS gun right this second, I’d sent it to ATEi for the RMR cut like my first one. BUT, the better bet is to wait and see what trijicon is releasing on the 8th. If it’s in the MRDS category, hopefully it shares the RNR footprint. I think most would agree that the RMR is the gold standard right now, and with the SRO, Holosun (big deal), and hopefully whatever they release on the 8th sharing the same footprint, I think that’d seal the deal to whatever extent possible. I’m not sure that the M17 cut will mean much for quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miller_man
12-31-2019, 10:50 PM
Have pretty much made my choice with soon to be 4 slides, RMR/SRO. Trijicon seems to have more overall success, IMO.

Tod-13
01-02-2020, 07:39 AM
I keep hoping someone will post: "Use gunsmith <this one> because they will cut your slide to use mount plates from <some particular manufacturer>, obviating the need for a optic-specific cut."

jeep45238
01-02-2020, 08:20 AM
I keep hoping someone will post: "Use gunsmith <this one> because they will cut your slide to use mount plates from <some particular manufacturer>, obviating the need for a optic-specific cut."

That might be the way the Dawson DUO system works out, which also includes a user-service capability.

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-duo-system-service-kit/

I don't know where you could buy just the plates though.

Alpha Sierra
01-02-2020, 08:21 AM

I'm wondering why that isn't a thing?

Right now I wouldn't have any slide milled for anything. I chose to go with an optics ready pistol so that I can switch mounting plates depending on what RDS I choose now and what RDS I may choose 2, 5, 8 years from now.

If things ever settle down to one or two standards, then I'll change my mind.

Tod-13
01-02-2020, 09:04 AM
That might be the way the Dawson DUO system works out, which also includes a user-service capability.

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-duo-system-service-kit/

I don't know where you could buy just the plates though.

1. They don't sell it separately (yet).
2. The rear sight is not adjustable--it is held in place with a screw.

Does it actually use separate add-on plates or is it milled with slots/screws to take currently available optics?

ETA: I looked at this as a possible solution for a CZ-75 solution, which is why I want an adjustable rear sight.

jeep45238
01-02-2020, 09:30 AM

Does it actually use separate add-on plates or is it milled with slots/screws to take currently available optics?

ETA: I looked at this as a possible solution for a CZ-75 solution, which is why I want an adjustable rear sight.

The duo uses plates to go from a Delta Point Pro footprint to a RMR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nDUqEQH714

Around the 1:30 make you can see the milling in the slide, about the 2:30 you can see the milling on the plate that does the recoil abutment.

You're right on the fixed rear sight part and lack of aftermarket availability. I do think there's a lot to it from flexibility and durability of mounting, as theoretically the screws shouldn't have any shear forces on them (steel's strong in tension), and if it can fit a 1911 slide it should be able to fit a lot of other pistols too. With the adjustability side of things, maybe we'll see a day where the red dot sights actually become shorter in length, allowing room for an adjustable mechanism to be integrated to the plate for the rear sight. There's always the possibility of doing the sight math and having a custom rear sight made, but that defeats the whole point of the system.

TicTacticalTimmy
01-03-2020, 12:32 PM

Sounds like you are describing the CZ Custom optic system:

https://czcustom.com/custom-work/s-i-rds-plate-cut-and-plate.html

You can even get a rear sight plate with standard CZ75 dovetail so you can put in any rear sight you like.

Tod-13
01-03-2020, 01:20 PM
Sounds like you are describing the CZ Custom optic system:

https://czcustom.com/custom-work/s-i-rds-plate-cut-and-plate.html

You can even get a rear sight plate with standard CZ75 dovetail so you can put in any rear sight you like.

CZ Custom's setup doesn't let you have a dot and back up iron sights at the same time.