PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP annouced in 22LR!

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Seems this was missed in all the speculation about the 5.7x28.

Anyway, a little pistol like this should have broad market appeal. A good trainer for those with the .380 version. Use it to teach the kid/wife/grandmother the basics, etc. Plus it should be a nice little carry gun for those crazy enough to walk around with a .22 in a defensive role...

https://ruger.com/products/lcpII/specSheets/13705.html

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 11:31 AM
https://ruger.com/micros/liteRack/

mtnbkr
12-30-2019, 11:42 AM
This would be a nice pocket plinker for "targets of opportunity" while out woods bumming. I wonder if it's accurate enough for small game at close distances (ie under 25yds)...

Shame it didn't have a threaded barrel. Gun in one pocket and can in another pocket... :D

Chris

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 11:48 AM
This would be a nice pocket plinker for "targets of opportunity" while out woods bumming. I wonder if it's accurate enough for small game at close distances (ie under 25yds)...

Shame it didn't have a threaded barrel. Gun in one pocket and can in another pocket... :D

Chris

I'd guess it would need adjustable sights to be really effective as a small game pistol.

mtnbkr
12-30-2019, 11:57 AM
I'd guess it would need adjustable sights to be really effective as a small game pistol.

I wouldn't go out hunting with the little gun, but if I were out doing other things during small game season and a squirrel was being persistent nearby, and I had a vetted load in the gun, I might give it a shot, no pun intended. :)

But for dedicated hunting, no way.

Chris

Whirlwind06
12-30-2019, 12:01 PM
Interesting that they added a manual safety on the 22. I wonder if they will add that to the 380 as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 12:10 PM
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/30/ruger-lcpii-22lr/

Jim Watson
12-30-2019, 12:15 PM
• Manual safety is oriented in a push-forward-to-fire configuration that is instinctive and unobtrusive.

Say what?
I've been pushing down on safeties for several decades, so I am not the best reference, but that just ain't right.
Maybe a beginner or a Glocker will let us know how "instinctive" it is.

Never mind, video is the death knell.

Totem Polar
12-30-2019, 12:16 PM
If it works, Ruger just printed their own money. There were a number of years that the LCP outsold pretty much everything else.

I’m more intrigued by the little Ruger than the big Glock, myself.

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 12:19 PM
• Manual safety is oriented in a push-forward-to-fire configuration that is instinctive and unobtrusive.

Say what?
I've been pushing down on safeties for several decades, so I am not the best reference, but that just ain't right.
Maybe a beginner or a Glocker will let us know how "instinctive" it is.

Interesting that they added a manual safety on the 22. I wonder if they will add that to the 380 as well.

Ruger's always seemed bipolar with their thumb safeties. The SR9 safety sucks and the Security 9 isn't much better.

I think the official company stance is the safety is meant to be ignored but can be used if someone feels so inclined. Seems counterproductive when a minor engineering change could something more useful.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 12:28 PM
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/12/30/tested-ruger-lcp-ii-22-lr-pistol/

Glenn E. Meyer
12-30-2019, 12:31 PM
I have no interest in a draw in an emergency pocket gun with a safety. I draw my 1911 and take off the safety pretty well. I have also drawn and pulled the trigger in matches and dry fire a zillion times. Even then, I see folks and me sometimes forget the safety.

Same old debate, I won't carry a gun without a safety because I might shoot myself. I worry more about being the guy behind the curve.

Also, the unreliability issue of the small 22s for a self-defense gun is troublesome. I ditched a cute Taurus PT-22 for being such a horror. A friends tip up Beretta was the same. My 22 handguns are bigger semis or revolvers and not SD guns. Full disclosure, I had a NAA mini or two for fun and bugs.

Totem Polar
12-30-2019, 12:43 PM
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/12/30/tested-ruger-lcp-ii-22-lr-pistol/

Compelling. I’m here to vouch that a simple guy, such as myself, can have a lot of fun in the backwoods with a single tennis ball and a gun like this.

BillSWPA
12-30-2019, 12:49 PM
It is long past time someone offered this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 12:49 PM
Compelling. I’m here to vouch that a simple guy, such as myself, can have a lot of fun in the backwoods with a single tennis ball and a gun like this.That's probably the best reason to buy one although you'd probably have just as much fun with an SR22 or one of the Mk series.

Other than it being as easy lift (same frame as the 380 so probably not expensive to make) I am a bit confused by this little gun. I'm sure it'll sell quite well but, as a dedicated trainer or plinker, I'd think a Security 9/22 or even an SR1911 22 would be a good product.

mtnbkr
12-30-2019, 12:58 PM
I have a weird fetish for having a pocketable or otherwise unobtrusive rimfire in addition to my "serious" gun while out in the woods for plinking, small game, and otherwise non-serious use. Years ago, this was a Ruger Bearcat, but it wasn't particularly pocketable or convenient to shoot so it went away. I've come close to buying an LCR-22lr for this role, but the price and bulk have put me off for the previously described role. This new LCR, however, is about perfect. Flat, lightweight, inexpensive, it is about perfect. It won't take up much space in a pocket (front, back, cargo, maybe even shirt pocket) and a handful of ammo (or 50cnt box if you're not a heathen like me) will fit in another pocket or maybe even right along with the gun if you have largish pockets.

If it'll run shotshells, it may even be a good kayaking gun (for snakes that take an interest in your presence) that you won't worry about getting wet (or won't weigh you down should you take a dip unexpectedly).

So...yeah, I'll be interested in one of these...

Chris

Dave T
12-30-2019, 12:58 PM
First thing I though of was it's a 21st Century version of the Walther TPH. Had one of those which I intended to carry in my uniform jacket's left pocket as an emergency back up. Problem was I practiced with it. I had misfires with just about every magazine and the slide always left my hand bloody. Sold it and put a Randall Guardian in my boot top instead.

I bet the above comment about Ruger selling a bunch of these is right, even with it's problems.

Dave

Totem Polar
12-30-2019, 01:02 PM
That's probably the best reason to buy one although you'd probably have just as much fun with an SR22 or one of the Mk series.

Other than it being as easy lift (same frame as the 380 so probably not expensive to make) I am a bit confused by this little gun. I'm sure it'll sell quite well but, as a dedicated trainer or plinker, I'd think a Security 9/22 or even an SR1911 22 would be a good product.

Boils down to preference. For whatever reason, I‘ve always found larger .22 pistols, like the mark II-IV, boring to shoot. I cut my teeth plinking in the sticks with model 21s, Taurus PT-22s (great fun until they break), various little walthers, etc. it’s challenging and fun. With the bigger pistols, it’s actually pretty hard to miss a tennis ball or beer can, and there is so little recoil that it’s like watching "the witcher;" fun at first, but uninteresting very shortly thereafter. JMO.

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 01:03 PM
I bet the above comment about Ruger selling a bunch of these is right, even with it's problems.

Dave

For a general consumer who wants a small firearm that's easy to manipulate and inexpensive to shoot this will be a hit. Those who might not know, care or understand the .22LR is not necessarily a good option for defense. They'll shoot 50-100 rounds through the gun in the entire length of ownership and be completely happy with the gun.

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 01:10 PM
$299 so far. Probably means $269 in a month or two...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851131036

mtnbkr
12-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Boils down to preference. For whatever reason, I‘ve always found larger .22 pistols, like the mark II-IV, boring to shoot. I cut my teeth plinking in the sticks with model 21s, Taurus PT-22s (great fun until they break), various little walthers, etc. it’s challenging and fun. With the bigger pistols, it’s actually pretty hard to miss a tennis ball or beer can, and there is so little recoil that it’s like watching "the witcher;" fun at first, but uninteresting very shortly thereafter. JMO.

That and if you're already carrying a full-sized gun, the 22lr is going to be for "fun" and you don't want to be encumbered by another largish gun. Additionally, if you do drop the little Ruger in your pack and never pull it out, you won't feel like you humped the extra weight for nothing.

Chris

Jim Watson
12-30-2019, 01:31 PM
I think the official company stance is the safety is meant to be ignored but can be used if someone feels so inclined.

I am so inclined. I have a LC9S. The DAO pull is long but it is smooth and very light*. I feel much better off with the safety on, even though they make other variants with no safety. What I have turned to for actual carry is a G43, a tough enough trigger that I am comfortable with it in a pocket holster or IWB holster. The Ruger has become my mailbox, garbage can, and bump in the night gun, something I can drop in bathrobe pocket with short term awareness that I have to punch the safety.

*I ask, why can't you put a trigger like this on a revolver or service automatic?

I have a S&W Plastic M&P Compact .22. It is thus far 100% with Mini-Mags. But even "compact" it is still a bigger gun than the Ruger with more room for the machinery to work.
(I was amazed at the statement that the little Ruger is a locked breech .22 LR.)

Hambo
12-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Why did Ruger take so long to make these? Why was I not bugging them constantly to make them? I'm down for a couple of them.

farscott
12-30-2019, 01:50 PM
As an indiscriminate .22 LR fan (I even bought the USFA ZIP Gun!!) who has only found a few .22 firearms that I do not like, I will probably end up with one of these. My daughter has an LCP9, so I can see getting one for her to use for lower cost, diagnostic practice. So right there, two have been sold.

We sure seem to be living in a golden age of rimfire pistols. In the last year or two, we got the Glock 44, Kel-Tec CP33, the Taurus TX-22, and the LCP II. I would add the Kel-Tec P17, but everything I have heard has been negative.

Jared
12-30-2019, 02:02 PM
I’m definitely down for one of these.

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 02:37 PM
Another review:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/12/30/range-review-ruger-lite-rack-lcp-ii-22-lr/

Hi-Point Aficionado
12-30-2019, 03:34 PM
I just wish it was a proper partially-cocked DAO. Still gonna buy one and realize the trigger would probably have to be hefty but still.

NickA
12-30-2019, 03:36 PM
I have a weird fetish for having a pocketable or otherwise unobtrusive rimfire....

So...yeah, I'll be interested in one of these...

Chris

This is me, minus even the excuse of wanting it for outdoor activities [emoji23]
I've just always had an itch for a small 22lr but never warmed up to the little Berettas enough to buy one. But since I already have a LCP...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

APS-PF
12-30-2019, 03:42 PM
I'd be interested too as I don't have a super small .22. But those two reviews are conspicuously absent of targets, I hope POA/POI is close.

gato naranja
12-30-2019, 04:01 PM
That's probably the best reason to buy one although you'd probably have just as much fun with an SR22 or one of the Mk series.

My prediction: it'll be less fun than the SR22. I do see it as a centerfire LCP understudy.

As far as defensive .22LRs, I don't believe in them myself but know (and value some) people who do, most of them physically unable to deal with more formidable handguns. There is a clowder in this region that has already turned to the SR22 as a defensive (!) pistol, and vetted examples kept clean/fed CCI Mini-Mags seem to run quite reliably. It'll be interesting to see if this new rimfire LCP makes inroads with this bunch.

SR22's already have a deserved reputation for being fun, and I just can't see this .22LR LCP being as popular with mom, dad, the kids (all inclusive), grandma & grandpa, assorted shirt-tail relatives, the neighbor lady, the meme cat who is getting yelled at...
Heck, even I have fun shooting the SR22, and I was as skeptical about them as anyone who had previously been burned by a Walther P22.

(The fun does come to a temporary screeching-gluteus halt when one prices spare factory SR22 magazines and muses on what they probably cost to produce.)

g n

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 04:31 PM
https://youtu.be/Asm4eUcLzkY

ECVMatt
12-30-2019, 05:50 PM
I really hate this time of the year...and so does my wife....and my bank account.

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 06:28 PM
I really hate this time of the year...and so does my wife....and my bank account.Lol they should have released it about two weeks before Christmas.

JHC
12-30-2019, 07:33 PM
If it works, Ruger just printed their own money. There were a number of years that the LCP outsold pretty much everything else.

I’m more intrigued by the little Ruger than the big Glock, myself.

Me too! With what that street price could be, I will very likely try one out.

farscott
12-30-2019, 08:08 PM
I downloaded and read the user manual as disassembly and assembly are always of interest. The following instruction does not make me confident.

Pry loose the takedown pin using a screwdriver or other flat, blunt tool

Can Ruger not provide a bit more pin on the right side to protrude from the right side of the frame and allow pressure on that portion of the pin to start the removal? Not only do I dislike needing tools for field stripping, I foresee an all-new class of "idiot scratch".

OlongJohnson
12-30-2019, 08:55 PM
Hasn't been problem for the LCP all these years.

Polecat
12-30-2019, 09:24 PM
This is awesome. Love the safety hope it makes it over to the .380. May get rid of the Beretta now🙂

45dotACP
12-30-2019, 09:40 PM
This is absolutely the gun Ruger should have made alongside the .380 LCP. I'm surprised it took them this long...I mean there was a .22lcr before there was a .22 lcp

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Polecat
12-30-2019, 10:12 PM
According to gun holsters and gear pre shot, Ruger is supposed to release a micro compact .32! I will be all over that!

Totem Polar
12-30-2019, 10:31 PM
First thing I though of was it's a 21st Century version of the Walther TPH. Had one of those which I intended to carry in my uniform jacket's left pocket as an emergency back up. Problem was I practiced with it. I had misfires with just about every magazine and the slide always left my hand bloody. Sold it and put a Randall Guardian in my boot top instead.

Dave

According to gun holsters and gear pre shot, Ruger is supposed to release a micro compact .32! I will be all over that!

The LCP in .32 would be a very balanced little package.

OlongJohnson
12-30-2019, 11:01 PM
I can't decide whether this is interesting or I don't care. My LCP Custom in .380 injured my hands, because they are too big to be able to grip it and control movement under recoil. A .22LR version might actually be shootable.

fatdog
12-31-2019, 06:56 AM
If it works, Ruger just printed their own money. .

I think you are right, I will probably purchase the first one I see.

Tokarev
12-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Mags aren't outrageous I guess.

http://shopruger.com/LCP-II-10-Round-22-LR-Magazine-Value-2-Pack/productinfo/90697/

Grouse870
12-31-2019, 08:36 AM
I like the concept but I think I would prefer some sort of adjustable sights for this. That way it can fulfill two roles understudy for the lcp and a kit gun for the occasional shot at small game while your not actively hunting.

farscott
12-31-2019, 08:53 AM
I like the concept but I think I would prefer some sort of adjustable sights for this. That way it can fulfill two roles understudy for the lcp and a kit gun for the occasional shot at small game while your not actively hunting.

If Ruger follows the Glock tradition of offering the Glock 42, milking its sales, and then offering the Glock 43, I expect we will see an adjustable-sight variant offered in the next few years.

Tokarev
12-31-2019, 09:09 AM

If Ruger follows the Glock tradition of offering the Glock 42, milking its sales, and then offering the Glock 43, I expect we will see an adjustable-sight variant offered in the next few years.

Even a drift adjustable rear would be good. Ideally the gun would have some type of fully adjustable rear but at least a dovetailed rear could be knocked out and replaced if different height(s) are needed.

Hi-Point Aficionado
12-31-2019, 09:16 AM
Am I the only one who prefers fixed sights?

Tokarev
12-31-2019, 09:46 AM
Am I the only one who prefers fixed sights?

No problem with fixed sights in theory. But will the gun shoot POA with all the various bullet weights/velocities? At seven yards it likely won't make a difference but we'll probably see quite a disparity at 15 and 25.

But all that's besides the point. Are people currently shooting their little 380s at 25 yards?

Dave T
12-31-2019, 10:06 AM
Slight change of subject from sights. It would have been much more reliable if Ruger had designed it with a double strike firing pin, like some of the high end target rifles in 22 LR.

Dave

Tokarev
12-31-2019, 10:30 AM
Slight change of subject from sights. It would have been much more reliable if Ruger had designed it with a double strike firing pin, like some of the high end target rifles in 22 LR.

Dave

I assume the LCP 380 frame and the 22 LCP frame come off the same assembly line. It is likely that hammer and hammer spring are the same parts.

What might be needed is a heavier hammer and/or stronger hammer spring.

Hi-Point Aficionado
12-31-2019, 10:55 AM
No problem with fixed sights in theory. But will the gun shoot POA with all the various bullet weights/velocities? At seven yards it likely won't make a difference but we'll probably see quite a disparity at 15 and 25.

But all that's besides the point. Are people currently shooting their little 380s at 25 yards?

I haven't met any POA/POI issues with my .22 LCR out to 50 yards but will admit my Beretta 21A changes elevation a bit between Mini-Mag and Stinger. Not enough to be unable to hold the center ring of an IALEFFI target on a qualification course of fire out to 25 yards if I remember which load is in there, though. Been years since I shot a J22 to pieces but I remember even that potmetal thing not shifting POI enough to care between Federal bulk pack and CCI Mini-Mag.

I get people wanting adjustable sights but personally much prefer fixed regulated for a reasonably common load. Now watch me get one of these LCP IIs and find out POI is sensitive to various loads.

Baldanders
01-02-2020, 01:16 PM
I wished out loud for a .22 p32 on this forum about a week before this was announced. Almost scary!

I guess I have to buy one. For me, it will be my affordable-to-shoot microgun trainer. (.32 ain't crazy, but it's not cheap)

Assuming it's reliable and "feels" enough like my p32. I will wait for them to get the bugs out.

jandbj
01-02-2020, 05:01 PM
I wished out loud for a .22 p32 on this forum about a week before this was announced. Almost scary!

I guess I have to buy one. For me, it will be my affordable-to-shoot microgun trainer. (.32 ain't crazy, but it's not cheap)

Assuming it's reliable and "feels" enough like my p32. I will wait for them to get the bugs out.

Yup. I have a P3at and this’ll be an entertaining trainer.

Jared
01-06-2020, 03:29 PM
Saw/handled one today. I was actually all set to ask what the preferred customer price was when I decided to try one good dry trigger press. Holy shit that was one heavy crunchy SA type pull. Sad, because I had high hopes for it. I ended up handing it back.

Totem Polar
01-06-2020, 04:17 PM
Saw/handled one today. I was actually all set to ask what the preferred customer price was when I decided to try one good dry trigger press. Holy shit that was one heavy crunchy SA type pull. Sad, because I had high hopes for it. I ended up handing it back.

https://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/aw58qPW_700b.jpg

BillSWPA
01-06-2020, 04:30 PM

My wallet and wife both thank you.

Tokarev
01-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Saw/handled one today. I was actually all set to ask what the preferred customer price was when I decided to try one good dry trigger press. Holy shit that was one heavy crunchy SA type pull. Sad, because I had high hopes for it. I ended up handing it back.Same trigger as the LCP 380.

Jared
01-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Same trigger as the LCP 380.

Probably the LCP 2 380, but IIRC, the old school LCP is a DAO. I would have honestly preferred DAO to the trigger on this sample I handled. I mean, it was gritty, but at least it made up for it by feeling like it weighed 8 pounds.

I really really wanted the gun until I tried that trigger. I’ll even fondle the next sample I encounter in hopes this one was just an anomaly.

Tokarev
01-06-2020, 08:20 PM
Probably the LCP 2 380, but IIRC, the old school LCP is a DAO. I would have honestly preferred DAO to the trigger on this sample I handled. I mean, it was gritty, but at least it made up for it by feeling like it weighed 8 pounds.

I really really wanted the gun until I tried that trigger. I’ll even fondle the next sample I encounter in hopes this one was just an anomaly.Sorry. Yes I meant LCP II trigger.

Tancred
01-07-2020, 06:28 PM
I got to look one over at the gun shop today. I was very impressed. The trigger wasn't gritty and if there was any creep, I would have had to concentrate to notice it. The trigger is heavier than a typical striker, but I thought is was acceptable. I'll be getting one--soon.

CCT125US
01-12-2020, 12:05 AM
10 rounds Blazer from 7 yards, top edge / center hold

15 rounds Blazer from 10 yards, top edge / 6 o'clock hold

Won't say zero recoil, but darn neer. Range rental trigger was horrible. Even with a relatively small hand size, I had to sink my trigger finger to break flat.

Ruger will sell a ton of them.

Polecat
01-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Shot mine today, ran great 150 rnds no issues. Tried PMC zappers which were greasy and they didnt work. Staying with CCi, Fed, ran like a top! I am digging it.

They will print money with these. 10.25 oz, 10 + 1 rounds. Reasonably accurate, so far reliable. Like amondern day Beretta 21 with better capacity, locks back, real mag button. Cool little mouse.

vaspence
01-13-2020, 03:58 PM
I picked one up this morning. Went to the indoor range and shot 155 CCI mini mags followed by 100 CCI SV with absolutely no function issues. I do need to paint the little nub they call a front sight, it disappears on a B8 (at least indoors). I agree with the statement that it's what I wanted the Beretta 21 to be. It's more accurate than I am.

Distance 7 & 10 yards with CCI mini mags. Someone who could see the front sight for every shot would do way better.

farscott
01-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Since there are multiple reports of the LCP II .22 running with standard velocity and subsonic ammo, and I am a sucker for most any .22 LR firearm, I am adding one of these to the list for 2020. I will probably wait a bit for the price to settle and/or to see if one with adjustable sights will be released as I need a kit gun more than a sub-caliber trainer (not having a LCP in any other caliber). In any event, one with adjustable sights looks to be a great kit gun. My current kit gun is a 1961 (fixed-sight) Ruger RST-4 that has a ton of rounds through it, so the LCP II .22 will be considerably lighter.

gato naranja
01-14-2020, 10:28 AM
Now that the term "kit gun" has been invoked, maybe I will be interested to see how these will stack up compared to a Ruger SR22 pistol after all.

g n

Doc_Glock
01-14-2020, 06:02 PM
Shot mine today, ran great 150 rnds no issues. Tried PMC zappers which were greasy and they didnt work. Staying with CCi, Fed, ran like a top! I am digging it.

They will print money with these. 10.25 oz, 10 + 1 rounds. Reasonably accurate, so far reliable. Like amondern day Beretta 21 with better capacity, locks back, real mag button. Cool little mouse.

I am feeling pretty happy I got rid of my Beretta 21A before this gun released. Not that I could get the Beretta to run reliably anyway.

OlongJohnson
01-14-2020, 07:58 PM
I probably have enough .22LR pistols that I can wait until Black Friday makes these cheep.

StraitR
01-15-2020, 09:49 PM
Front to back safety design is far from "instinctive", you know, being counter to pretty much every manual safety ever put on a pistol.

If they come out with a threaded model, I'd probably buy one as a compact suppressor host.

Polecat
01-15-2020, 11:07 PM
Doc, exactly what I did! Most recent Inox shot 3 or 4” to the left, older wood griped 21 would not run with new old extra mags variety ammo.

Ecstatic over the Ruger runnin like a champ! Strait, at first glance safety seems jacked up but really operates with same general motion as swiping a safety down for off, as it is angled a bit. They just did it a tad different no biggie, certainly not a deal breaker.

JHC
01-28-2020, 07:57 AM
Now that the term "kit gun" has been invoked, maybe I will be interested to see how these will stack up compared to a Ruger SR22 pistol after all.

g n

I've got both now. The SR22 is a riot. Ours has been reliable and easy to make hits with.

The LCP .22 is a lot of fun and zipped though it's first box of 50 Aguila 40 copper solids very smoothly. What an easy tiny 10 round magazine to load. I expected the 9th and 10th to be a chore.

But jeezalmighty its a tough gun to make hits with. The trigger is not bad IMO. Just breaks late/deep and with it being so tiny, that didn't help. I could not reliably hit the upper alpha at 5 freakin yards. I played around with trying to shoot heads across three targets at 5, 7 and 10 yards. Whoa, not so much. Our S&W 351 is much easier to sink hits with, heavy DA pull notwithstanding. I think due to dimensions for fitting all my hands around. POI seemed to be maybe an inch or two high at 7 yards but its too early to say for sure as imprecise as I was gripping and pressing it.

Ran really smoothly and reliably though.

Setting the safety ON required turning the pistol in the hand to slide it ON. But stroking the safety OFF was very easy with a sweep of the shooting hand thumb in a motion just like a 1911 safety.

gato naranja
01-28-2020, 10:00 AM
But jeezalmighty its a tough gun to make hits with.

This is my concern in a nutshell. The SR22 that I didn't want gata naranja to buy turned out to be reasonably accurate (all things considered) as well as surprisingly reliable with a couple of different loadings... and is easy for me (and her) to make hits with. If the LCP .22 isn't as good as our SR22 in accuracy, reliability and shooting comfort, its size will probably be immaterial to us.

Looks like I will have to rent one of these LCPs once the local range gets an example into their stable.

Tokarev
01-28-2020, 10:09 AM
This is my concern in a nutshell. The SR22 that I didn't want gata naranja to buy turned out to be reasonably accurate (all things considered) as well as surprisingly reliable with a couple of different loadings... and is easy for me (and her) to make hits with. If the LCP .22 isn't as good as our SR22 in accuracy, reliability and shooting comfort, its size will probably be immaterial to us.

Looks like I will have to rent one of these LCPs once the local range gets an example into their stable.

Trigger is the same as the 380. Recoil is not.

If you've shot/handled the 380 version and don't have any real issues working its trigger you (or the mrs) should be good to go.

Doc_Glock
01-28-2020, 10:28 AM
But jeezalmighty its a tough gun to make hits with. The trigger is not bad IMO. Just breaks late/deep and with it being so tiny, that didn't help. I could not reliably hit the upper alpha at 5 freakin yards. I played around with trying to shoot heads across three targets at 5, 7 and 10 yards. Whoa, not so much. Our S&W 351 is much easier to sink hits with, heavy DA pull notwithstanding. I think due to dimensions for fitting all my hands around. POI seemed to be maybe an inch or two high at 7 yards but its too early to say for sure as imprecise as I was gripping and pressing it.

That is interesting because with my .380 LCP I am hella better than a revolver. May be hand size issue. Or maybe the .22 is kinda unique in the trigger dept.

JHC
01-28-2020, 10:35 AM
That is interesting because with my .380 LCP I am hella better than a revolver. May be hand size issue. Or maybe the .22 is kinda unique in the trigger dept.

It's probably me. I grew up rolling K frame DA triggers in gigantic dry fire volume and pretty fair live fire. It's probably my grip managing 11 oz so small. I expected it to be a bit of challenge. I underestimated the challenge. But it's cheap to get into and cheap to shoot so I'll see what I can do. Might sharpen up my fundamentals.
The trigger is really not bad IMO. In fact nice and light enough it made me think it would be no sweateedaa sticking hits into the upper A zone at closer ranges. It mocked me badly.

SCCY Marshal
01-28-2020, 10:41 AM
I'm really trying to hold off on one of these but can't talk myself out of it. If I have any slush in my next season ski pass budget, definitely going to break down and order one up with a brace of square/round cut Mika pocket holsters, four spare mags, selection of Super Extra/Mini-Mag/Stinger/Velocitor/SGB/cheap bulk/High Velocity Match, and set up a plate array from 7-50 yards. I dig pocket rockets and have been jonesing for a replacement of my long-dead and more fun than it had any right to be J-22. If all it does is be fun living in the range bag to hand my range companion to go at the 3" plate duelling tree against my .22 LCR, it'll be worth the money.

Not trading in the Bobcat like some of you, though. Still love that little thing even if it only runs Stingers reliably.

willie
01-28-2020, 11:13 AM
I have had several Beretta .22 and .25 ACP pocket pistols that shot to point of aim. These little guns are nifty to carry in addition to a real gun when fooling around in the field. Everybody needs one, but I suggest not assigning it a serious role. Already many of us speak fondly of the 32 and 380 Auto and sometimes carry them for defense. Let's not do this with the .22 Ruger.

Old Virginia
01-28-2020, 11:30 AM
I am quite familiar with the LCP. Bought one when they first came out. I shoot pocket guns on a regular basis. Have been for 10 years. I burned through 4 of the LCP's all of which had to be sent many times into Ruger and all eventually replaced. Move on to better quality. I have always believed the LCP should have been manufactured in 32.cal and never the 380. The gun just is not built for many rounds. I like the idea of a small trainer for pocket guns or small barrel. But would not think of paying more than $1750-200.00 for a LCP. Personally think the LCP Gen2 not LCPll had or has the best trigger. Nice smooth DAO. If I were to carry a 22.cal, it would be the well built LCR which I love to train with. 8 rounds, and accuracy is as good as you want to make it. I shoot the SR22, nice gun reliable but accuracy is fair and really do not like the weird Trigger.

One of my favorite trainers for 22.cal is the Phoenix HPA 22. Have been shooting them for over 10yrs. And the accuracy is fantastic. While I do not always agree with all gun test magazine reviews, I gave them points when they reviewed a few 22.cals and said. "We did not expect much out of a gun the a price of $140.00 but when the gun out performed others costing 4 times as much, it got our attention."
These guns are great trainers, nice sights, nice triggers. And they are very reliable and eat any standard ammo. And I only paid $85.00 for the first one over 10 years and thousands of rounds later still running like a champ. Great for honing fast point and shoot skills not to mention just plain fun.

https://i.imgur.com/RN8kb4u.jpg?2

willie
01-28-2020, 12:47 PM
I always wondered about the Phoenix .22. I may try one of these. My LCR .22 shot accurately and reliably.

SCCY Marshal
01-28-2020, 01:05 PM
My father's Phoenix had the ~4" and stubby barrels. Bit like a Dan Wesson, can swap them out. But the zinc slide split with no warning after however many years in his hands and rounds downrange. I hated the absolutely insane administrative handling due to the way the internal and external safeties worked but he loved it and could make reliable on-demand hits on his favorite target of a coffee can out to fifty yards with seeming ease.

Doc_Glock
01-28-2020, 05:49 PM
It's probably me. I grew up rolling K frame DA triggers in gigantic dry fire volume and pretty fair live fire. It's probably my grip managing 11 oz so small. I expected it to be a bit of challenge. I underestimated the challenge. But it's cheap to get into and cheap to shoot so I'll see what I can do. Might sharpen up my fundamentals.
The trigger is really not bad IMO. In fact nice and light enough it made me think it would be no sweateedaa sticking hits into the upper A zone at closer ranges. It mocked me badly.

And it is probably me as well because my DAO revolver time is small and the LCP was one of my first guns.

Doc_Glock
01-28-2020, 05:52 PM
Not trading in the Bobcat like some of you, though. Still love that little thing even if it only runs Stingers reliably.

I shoot the LCP so much better than the Bobcat as well. Liked the Bobcat, but could never get it to run reliably. For that matter, LCPs have also been less than reliable for me, but at least they can go a couple hundred rounds without cleaning if they don't disassemble themselves.

gato naranja
01-29-2020, 06:26 AM
If you've shot/handled the 380 version and don't have any real issues working its trigger you (or the mrs) should be good to go.

(Smacking self on forehead and blurting out, "D'oh!")

The LCP in .380 was not particularly cat-friendly, though not impossible to use. Looks like we'll stick with the SR22.

OlongJohnson
01-29-2020, 11:41 AM
But jeezalmighty its a tough gun to make hits with. The trigger is not bad IMO. Just breaks late/deep and with it being so tiny, that didn't help.

Trigger is the same as the 380. Recoil is not.

I found I could make hits with my LCP Custom only if I gripped the heck out of it like Homer strangling Bart. It would then put bullets where I wanted them to go, more or less, but it still moved enough to injure my fingers. I couldn't grip it hard enough to keep it from doing that due to the small size. I'm thinking it will be worth trying this to see if results differ. Should also prove a little more durable in .22LR.

I did find that going through it and deburring some stamped sheet metal parts, in particular the trigger bar, and a little judicious smoothing here and there on other stuff, made a yuuuge difference. The trigger bar stamping burr goes around pretty much the whole perimeter on the side facing the aluminum frame, and it can be truly schnarly. There was a video on YT showing how to strip one where the bar had ground an outline of itself into the frame during use. I don't believe the designers ever intended that.

It's rarely discussed, but the hammer spring on the LCP, being hooked around a pin at each end and touching nothing in between, has the same fundamental lack of friction as an S&W K, L or N frame. So there's inherent potential for goodness. Mine became quite smooth and reasonably light. Also, when I realized the barrel and slide were mismachined, it went back to Ruger. They replaced the entire top end without touching anything I'd worked on.

Clusterfrack
01-29-2020, 01:25 PM
My LCP1.2 has been quite reliable. It has 13# Wolff recoil springs, a Tandemkross anti-walk takedown pin, and Talon grips (these help a lot in gripping). Mouseguns are hard to shoot. As OlongJohnson says, gripping the fuck out of it is the way to go. I've been able to shoot GW Dark Pin (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22600-Gabe-White-Standards&p=637977&viewfull=1#post637977) level with it. But my hands get much more tired than with a full-sized gun.

I won't be buying a .22 version because if I'm going to practice with a LCP, it might as well be with the one I occasionally actually carry.

SCCY Marshal
01-29-2020, 02:22 PM
...The trigger is really not bad IMO. In fact nice and light enough it made me think it would be no sweateedaa sticking hits into the upper A zone at closer ranges. It mocked me badly.

I'm used to, and really like, the LCP trigger in either a first or second generation. The 22 caliber LCP II will be a new trigger to me when I finally pick one up. So thanks for sticking it in my mind to work up a range plan rather than just wing it. Already made up a target despite being a couple months out. Traced some stuff on a large piece of cardstock:

4x 4" circles to run the N.R.A. Basic of Pistol Shooting course at Red, White, and Blue levels. (60 rounds, 12 safety actuations, 12 safety deactivations, 5 tactical reloads with retention from an initial loading of 10+1.)

1x 8" circle with a N.R.A. printed in tiny black letters to ape the optional instructor test at the end of BoPS. (20 rounds, at least two safety actuations, at least one safety deactivation, one emergency reload from empty.)

1 x ~5" circle* with center dot to run the Werner-Hayes 5^5 minus POI confirmation group. (20 rounds, one presentation from low ready, one presentation from high compressed ready, one draw starting hand on the gun, one draw from a fence position, five safety actuations, four safety deactivations, two speed reloads when down to the round in the chamber having started at 10+1, and a shift from stacking bullets to timed shooting.)

1x 3"x5" rectangle in portrait orientation for a walkback drill. (Start at 10 yards as BoPS pretty well covered 3-7. Will present from ready, take a shot, re-safe, scoot back a few yards if I get a hit, and repeat until I get a miss and mark the range of last hit as a point for improvement. However many more rounds fired, more use of the safety, more presentations from ready, add safely moving with the gun out, and a shift back to a test of accuracy.)

Tape my miss then use my remaining ammo to work failures to stop and non-standard responses of 2-5 shots per burst using the 8" circle for a center-of-mass and alternating 4" and 3x5 zones for the headshots. Probably at four to ten yards. (Rest of the 150 rounds of whatever load I'm testing that will be brought along, more safety use, target transitions, varying targets to do a Cunningham-esque balance of speed and precision session, and a shift back to timed work with varied accuracy standards defined by targets in the moment.)

150 rounds fired, a bunch of familiarization, thorough howdy-do with a new-to-me safety style, should pretty well know POA/POI by end, chance to mostly break in the gun and mags, four different target sizes in two different shapes, strings of fire from 1-20 rounds, ranges from 10' to 45'+, and staged into to pocket holster work with a SAO versus my usual DAO. Second trip will probably open with a Wizard Drill, move on to strong-hand-only, Pistol-Forum's own Drill of the Week #27 on Dave Spaulding's printable high center chest target to crank speed and get another target size, and end with a police qualification just to have a test at the end for comparison to other stuff. Probably OPOTA (but on a QIT-99 with 4" circular headbox and 6" circle in the body) as it only requires 25 rounds, times a reload, requires support-hand-only shooting, is quick to administer, goes out to 50 feet, and I have target photos saved running it with other mouseguns of quality from Grendel to Glock. Third trip will open with the awesome Pocket Gun Test from our own backtrail540 (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37336-Pocket-gun-test) (which will be real tough with the 10+1 capacity) then loose my family/friends on the thing and do some duelling tree and plate array out to 50 yards. After that, just plinking and working points for improvement shown in the first three range trips.

* Traced a Doctor Who DVD.

Duelist
02-24-2020, 07:38 AM
$299 so far. Probably means $269 in a month or two...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851131036

Still $325 at my LGS last week. Cute, but only one magazine still. At $325 with two or three mags, I’d probably be an owner. Only one, I hesitated. Rather spend $50 more buying a G44 which at least comes with 2 mags than buying a pair of spares for this one. The slide manipulated quite nicely, the trigger was acceptable, the safety worked for me.

SCCY Marshal
04-26-2020, 03:22 PM
A touch shy of $320 at my favorite shop. Have one on layaway and hope to scrounge up a couple spare mags before taking possession.

OlongJohnson
04-26-2020, 04:05 PM
$273 shipped.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/product-rug-13705

revolvergeek
05-04-2020, 04:29 PM

I have wanted a conversion barrel for an LCP for years. .32 acp with warm loaded flat point ball would make for a much more controllable little emergency pocket gun. My original LCP squirmed on me so badly that I installed one of the Houge grips on it and then shaved that down to reduce the bulk. I never could see the front sight so I had a local gunsmith install a big brass bead on it. It isn't pleasant, but with factory ammo it was a reliable little beast.

I am really intrigued by this new 22 LR option and could see myself picking up a couple of them. Cheapest I have seen one down here was on the shelf for $309. Once I all my retro revolvers off layawake I am going to have to pick one up.

Old Virginia
05-04-2020, 07:00 PM
My father's Phoenix had the ~4" and stubby barrels. Bit like a Dan Wesson, can swap them out. But the zinc slide split with no warning after however many years in his hands and rounds downrange. I hated the absolutely insane administrative handling due to the way the internal and external safeties worked but he loved it and could make reliable on-demand hits on his favorite target of a coffee can out to fifty yards with seeming ease.

I have been shooting my for over a decade. I have only know the zinc sides to split when shooting HYper velocity ammo. I only shoot standard. The safeties are a easy fix, many you tubes showing how to do this. By the way, the Phoenix has a lifetime warranty. Send it back and they will send you a new one. Very great CS reported all the time.

Ps a Few friends of mine from my club went shooting over the weekend to a friends farm as the local ranges were closed. We all brought our 22.cals. I brought my Phoenix. At the end about three of the guy came home and tried to order one, myself included. They seem to be sold out every where.

Baldanders
05-08-2020, 02:02 PM
I have wanted a conversion barrel for an LCP for years. .32 acp with warm loaded flat point ball would make for a much more controllable little emergency pocket gun. My original LCP squirmed on me so badly that I installed one of the Houge grips on it and then shaved that down to reduce the bulk. I never could see the front sight so I had a local gunsmith install a big brass bead on it. It isn't pleasant, but with factory ammo it was a reliable little beast.

I am really intrigued by this new 22 LR option and could see myself picking up a couple of them. Cheapest I have seen one down here was on the shelf for $309. Once I all my retro revolvers off layawake I am going to have to pick one up.

Oh, just join tbe P-F secret shame club.

Even with the GASP package (with Ghettosnipe), price will be less than the price of a conversion barrel for the LCP. 😃

(RevolverRob paid $280 for a .32 NAA LCP barrel)

revolvergeek
05-08-2020, 02:25 PM
Oh, just join tbe P-F secret shame club.

Even with the GASP package (with Ghettosnipe), price will be less than the price of a conversion barrel for the LCP. 😃

(RevolverRob paid $280 for a .32 NAA LCP barrel)

What can I say, I am a sucker for little bitty guns. Mostly these days I focus it on various little .32 revolvers, but I still pick up a new auto now and then. Yeah, I saw those .32 NAA barrels a while back, but I just couldn't make myself pull the trigger, so to speak.

Here is my big bead special. As you might imagine there were a lot of 'Prince Albert' jokes from some of my friends. Super easy to see though.

http://www.fototime.com/736C5670ED8DD7D/large.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/4FFD8D1B59CCF5A/large.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/2FFE9CBD82A1084/large.jpg

Baldanders
05-08-2020, 02:34 PM
What can I say, I am a sucker for little bitty guns. Mostly these days I focus it on various little .32 revolvers, but I still pick up a new auto now and then. Yeah, I saw those .32 NAA barrels a while back, but I just couldn't make myself pull the trigger, so to speak.

Here is my big bead special. As you might imagine there were a lot of 'Prince Albert' jokes from some of my friends. Super easy to see though.

http://www.fototime.com/736C5670ED8DD7D/large.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/4FFD8D1B59CCF5A/large.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/2FFE9CBD82A1084/large.jpg

I could see a bead like that with a cerakoted rear as mk.II of the Ghettosnipe. (If overall cost is less than a proper 3 dot installed)

farscott
05-08-2020, 03:33 PM
I finally got to handle a sample of the LCP II .22 LR and, much to my wife's surprise, I did not buy it. The sights just do not work for my eyes. I probably could paint the front sight with red or orange nail polish like I do with the half-moon sights found on the Colt Huntsman, but that front sight is TINY. Combined with the trigger, I decided another Colt Huntsman, one with a 4.25" barrel, can be my new kit gun. Not that much more money (about $150 before additional magazines) but an entirely different shooting experience.

SCCY Marshal
05-28-2020, 11:19 AM
Not sure how I feel about the safety as a carry gun for me but this little sucker is fun on a bun. Ran at least a magaxine each of Aguila Super Extra, Federal Automatch, CCI SGB, Federal Champion bulk 36gr copper washed hollowpoint, and CCI Standard Velocity. All of which would chew the center out of the target out to 30 feet running the N.R.A. BoPS course of fire. Had a touch of felt recoil with CCI Velocitor and a light strike. Checked POI with a full 10+1 load of Velocitor at 25 yards, as well:

https://i.imgur.com/Z37A2Jul.jpg

Will find out what, if anything, it runs reliably then check POI with that before even thinking of taking a file to the sights. Especially as even the Velocitor isn't trending high-left enough to particularly concern me. Did paint the front sight the most obnoxious yellow from the fingernail polish aisle before even going shooting.

SCCY Marshal
05-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Another light strike, today. A poorly stored CCI Standard Velocity from a sleeve which had gotten damp so may have been the ammo this time. Son got a short strike of the slide which picked up a fresh cartridge but failes to cock the hammer while running Federal Automatch he had spilled on the ground and was sandy. He also has a habit of limp-wristing autos when not closely coached.

But he was keeping most shots on a 6"x8" target at seven yards. And running Mozambiques into 6" and 4" circles at four yards rather well. The "lite rack" moniker seems mostly to be advertising rather than reality. Slide's small and stiff for the kids. Little dude likes the gun so worth it if just for that, though.

For me, the gun also prints high-left with CCI Standard Velocity. At 15 yards, they'll stay in a vertically oriented index card with a dead center hold but not any farther than that. CCI SGB is looking promising as a carryable load. Will confirm after I can get a few more boxes then think about tweaking the front sight to better regulate for it at 25 yards. Though I'd first like Stingers to come back in stock and try those to simplify supply being my snub-nose carry load.

And still on the fence about the safety. I can't run it like a 1911-style and not sure I want to dedicate myself to training with the compromised usage pattern and risk tanking my automaticity with conventional thumb safeties. This'll likely wind up just a range gun for me where I can just use the safety administratively and ignore it on the line.

Stupid bugger is so fun that I've got zero regrets buying it even just as a range toy. Running the 3" plates on my rimfire duelling tree at seven to ten yards is a blast.

momano
05-31-2020, 01:39 PM
I bought one yesterday and unboxed it and went straight to the range. 200 rounds CCI minimags; 1 FTE (fired second try), 1 FTE, and 1 early slide lock back.
Mine shot high left also. Even with the tiny sights, because I liked the trigger, my accuracy was a little better than with my 9mm glocks. My g44 has been 100% reliable so far, but I'm as satisfied with this LCP 2 .22 for a plinker as I am with the glock. Both fun purchases.

momano
05-31-2020, 08:39 PM
Cleaned after the first 200 rounds. Painted the front sight with white nail polish. Another 200 rounds of CCI minimags. 1 FTFire; fired on the second attempt. No buyer's regrets. My 12 year old grandson will have a chance to pass judgement this week.

SCCY Marshal
06-04-2020, 08:43 PM
Short stroke of the slide failed to pick up a cartridge but did eject the spent case. Shooting Federal high velocity Gold Medal Match from retention. Gun has a few hundred rounds downrange without any cleaning beyond a bore swab out of the box.

Will clean and lube tonight and try same ammo again next range trip. Also shoot it at 25 yards along with CCI SGB.

Leroy Suggs
06-05-2020, 03:32 PM
I succumbed and bought one of these little things today.
Brought it home, went in back yard and ran 60 Aquila hv and 20 Eley target. Worked great so far.

We shall see....or time will tell.

Target at 10 yards right out of box and lubed a bit.

APS-PF
06-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Target at 10 yards right out of box and lubed a bit.

Leroy what was your point of aim to get those hits on that orange dot?
Thanks

Leroy Suggs
06-05-2020, 03:47 PM
Leroy what was your point of aim to get those hits on that orange dot?
Thanks

Center of the 2" dot. Top of front sight.

farscott
06-05-2020, 05:12 PM
Center of the 2" dot. Top of front sight.

Impressive shooting. Very impressive.

SCCY Marshal
06-06-2020, 03:38 PM
Wife officially dislikes the watch-pocket bullet hose. It does spit some fine, hot embers out of the ejection port which sting the arms. She's completely done with the gun and I don't blame her. The kids and I still love the thing, though.

Federal high velocity Gold Medal Match is officially a no-go. Hits 8+" high at 25 yards and still gives odd stoppages. Have more SGB plus CCI Stinger, Aguila Interceptor, and Winchester Varmint HE on the way to try out. Hope to find something that hits no further off POA than Velocitor did bit runs reliably.

I've also been playing with the included pocket holster rather than bury it in the gunsock bin as I usually do. Not a fan but it does carry the gun securely and cover the trigger without the fabric being too soft. If notjing else, makes a good range holster to avoid beating up my Mika in the sand and gravel.

Leroy Suggs
06-08-2020, 11:31 AM
This gun is a dandy.

Shot these this morning in the gusty winds left from Cristobal.

Distance is 10 yds and 15 yds.
Ammo is Eley target standard velocity. No malfunctions so far with 60 rds Aguila HV and 150 rds Eley Target.
Trigger is ok. Good as the average Glock.
In use the safety comes off just like a 1911.

I like it for a little 22lr i can carry around in my pocket for pests, beer cans, etc.

Hopefully it will do well with higher round counts.

SCCY Marshal
06-10-2020, 02:56 PM
Forty-one rounds of Aguila Interceptor looking promising. Patterns pretty much to sights at 25 yards and no stoppages. I'll focus on this load and CCI SGB going forward to see if either or both prove to be the one. Drew 4", 5", and 6" circles on a bit of paperboard and it was a lot of fun to work target transitions and mixed round counts from four to fifteen yards in my brief range trip.

CCI Stinger gave me several failures to eject in 21 rounds. Don't know if a chamber ring formed from regular case length loads since last cleaning. If so, the ring may have caused sticky extraction as in a .357 revolver after a bunch of 38 Special. Or it just doesn't like kicking out the longer cases. Doesn't matter in the end as I decided not to waste ammo I can save for the LCR and instead spend time with ammo that looks more promising.

Leroy Suggs
06-11-2020, 12:37 PM
Forty-one rounds of Aguila Interceptor looking promising. Patterns pretty much to sights at 25 yards and no stoppages. I'll focus on this load and CCI SGB going forward to see if either or both prove to be the one. Drew 4", 5", and 6" circles on a bit of paperboard and it was a lot of fun to work target transitions and mixed round counts from four to fifteen yards in my brief range trip.

CCI Stinger gave me several failures to eject in 21 rounds. Don't know if a chamber ring formed from regular case length loads since last cleaning. If so, the ring may have caused sticky extraction as in a .357 revolver after a bunch of 38 Special. Or it just doesn't like kicking out the longer cases. Doesn't matter in the end as I decided not to waste ammo I can save for the LCR and instead spend time with ammo that looks more promising.

Please let us know how the Interceptors do!

SCCY Marshal
06-14-2020, 03:07 PM
Had one hangup with Interceptor before cleaning. Took it out with a freshly scrubbed bolt face and got a failure to eject while doing some retention shooting. May have caught on my cover garment and will give the load one more chance before moving on to SGB for trial.

Leroy Suggs
06-19-2020, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=SCCY Marshal;1066263]Had one hangup with Interceptor before cleaning. Took it out with a freshly scrubbed bolt face and got a failure to eject while doing some retention shooting. May have caught on my cover garment and will give the load one more chance before moving on to SGB for trial.[/QUOTE

My example gobbles the Interceptor and is poa/poi at 10 yards..
I will carry them in the little pistol.

I live rural and like to carry a pocket 22 around the place. It is no way a self defense gun, just for pests, vermin,etc.
Always have a Glock 26 for defense.

I am enamored with this little pistol. Reliable, accurate, east to hit with.
The Interceptors will give it reasonable penetration I think.

SCCY Marshal
06-19-2020, 02:09 PM
I had serious failures to ignite both CCI SGB and Winchester Varmint HE, today. The Winchester was on for elevation but a bit right at 25 yards. SGB hit 6"+ right but proper elevation. Will continue to hope for the best with Interceptor. If failures to fire remain widespread, will be giving Ruger a call.

SecondHandSmoke
06-23-2020, 03:29 PM
I bought one of these and my example has me pretty impressed. Right out of the box it ran 200 rounds just fine and the sights are regulated and I'm getting hits at 50-70 yards on steel. If this thing keeps running solid, I might even carry the little sucker concealed sometimes.

SecondHandSmoke
06-24-2020, 08:45 AM
I shot a 5 shot group for accuracy test at 25, had one called flier so I shot a 6th round and the best 5 were in a 2 7/8 inch group with a couple stacked at my aim point.

Mines up to 400 rounds now with the only malfunction being a pre-mature slide lockback which I am nearly positive was caused by my grip.

A little lightweight 11 round 22 that I can shoot with my normal thumbs forward grip is interesting to me for the times when a J-Frame doesn't fit the bill. I also like shooting the "double wizard" drill with this thing... same 2.5 second time limit but firing 2 rounds into the designated target area instead of 1.

Its basically a "Beretta Tomcat 2.0"

SCCY Marshal
07-15-2020, 06:34 PM
Pocketed the freshly cleaned and lubed Ruger on my walk and ran 30 rounds of Geco Semi-Auto, today. Started 10+1, reloaded with a full 10, reloaded with another 10, but fired nine to leave one up the spout over my fourth and final magazine for the walk back home. Seemed promising so will check POI at 25 yards and run some more. Ligh recoil compares to some loads and no burning powder speweing out the top to sting one's arms, so far. Having had no trouble pegging scraps of forrest litter bounced out to ten yards, I'm optimistic about sight regulation and possibly having a good load.

I did hate loading the magazines with this stuff, though. It's one of the cartridges where bullet and case are both greased so my hands were a slippery mess. If it hits to POA and runs reliably, it'll be a small price to pay. Also hoping a pocketed spare won't rub enough grease off the exposed round to cause stoppages, not that this is a carry gun or even in consideration for a role in which a spare would be carried.

SCCY Marshal
07-16-2020, 12:08 PM
Spun back to the same spot on today's walk. Forty-one more rounds downrange. At 25 yards, the Geco Semi-Auto prints into the top half of the 12" circle I'd hung up. At 15 yards, the load prints into the top half of the 3" aiming spot I'd colored into it. Point of impact seems agreeable if not perfect. Still no burning embers, report definitely milder than Mini-Mag/Stinger/Velocitor type loads, and mild recoil. Gun was not cleaned after the last range session, indeed it was left loaded, and is up to 71 rounds and zero stoppages.

Just need to keep my fingers crossed as I vet reliability. Hope to finally have found a go-to load.

It also carries great but that is pretty much a given. Decided I could do with a swim and bushwhacked to a nearish trail up to a mountainside brook. Finished hiking to the pool at the base of a fall but a bunch of people were about so just humped my pack back home rather than cache guns and knapsack of ammo in a crowd. Didn't get my dunk in refreshing mountain water but did at least log some miles and go shooting.

I'd questioned the rimfire LCP II as a kit gun. Still do if one is concerned about meat for the pot. But as a recreational piece and possible extra bit of protection that could stand a chance of bagging small game, it seems a reasonable choice to consider.

SCCY Marshal
07-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Another 41 rounds of Geco Semi-Auto downrange for a total of 112 since the last cleaning. No stoppages, so far. Shot various things from roughly 2.5" square bits of wood at four yards up to about a half sheet of paper sized balanced rock at 15. All standing with about 50% fired freestyle, 25% strong hand only, and 25% weak hand only. The gun again put multiple hits on the 15 yard large rock as it was tipping off the boulder I'd balanced it atop.

Starting to get my hopes up with this ammo. Also want to try it in my even more finicky Bobcat.

As for the gun, still a ton of fun and worth the pricetag just for that.

davisj
07-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Purchased one a few weeks ago. My wife wanted to have something easy to carry when walking the dog. We got 30 rounds through it and the trigger died. I could press the trigger all the way to the trigger stop and the hammer wouldn’t drop. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the trigger bar, sear and rear trigger pin. Got it back earlier this week and took it to the range yesterday. Now, with a deliberate press the trigger bar slides past the sear and doesn’t fire. If I pull the trigger quickly it will fire. Anyone else have this issue?

https://vimeo.com/439820968

https://vimeo.com/439820968

SCCY Marshal
07-21-2020, 11:41 AM
Tried that with mine and it worked fine.

But mine isn't without issues. Got a failure to fire with today's batch of 41 Geco Semi-Auto. I'll be calling Ruger, this week. If they take it back gor service, I'll start right back up with tesing the Geco. Then Interceptor and on to Velocitor if I can score some more.

davisj
07-21-2020, 02:02 PM
I called Ruger yesterday, explained the problem and sent them the video. They told me to send it back. I’ve requested a new pistol given this is the second trip back for a trigger/sear issue that causes the gun not to fire. I should know something by the end of the week.

jandbj
07-21-2020, 06:11 PM
https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp-II/performance-spring-kit-for-ruger-lcp-ii-pistols

Buddy of mine tried this and thus far he has zero light strikes since the parts swap. Only about 250 rounds in but it’s looking promising.

SCCY Marshal
07-22-2020, 10:25 AM
That looks the ticket. Will give it a go before I badger Ruger directly.

Leroy Suggs
08-04-2020, 04:53 PM
I now have 1,000 rounds thru mine. 100% reliability.
I really like this little pistol. Easy to hit,easy to shoot, and unnoticeable in a pocket.
My example is accurate and shoots to the sights.

I did use a safe side file and widened the rear notch and painted the front orange. Old eyes:D

Dandy little blaster:cool:

davisj
08-04-2020, 09:56 PM
Mine is still at Ruger, for the second time. Purchased July 3rd, they’ve had it in for service longer than I’ve had it in my possession. Talked with a customer service rep yesterday, was told they’re still trying to figure out what to do with it. I suggested they send me a new one and then they can take as long as they like to make a decision about what is wrong with it.

First and last Ruger for me. I’ll stick with Glocks even though they don’t make a comparable size 22.

Tokarev
08-05-2020, 12:31 PM
First and last Ruger for me.

Ruger's customer service is usually top notch, in my experience.

With that said, I agree they should just warranty the gun and send you a replacement.

davisj
08-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Received notice from Ruger today that they are replacing the gun. Unfortunately I’m on the hook for the transfer fee so I’m requesting an extra magazine to cover that cost as the defect was on their end, not mine.

SCCY Marshal
08-29-2020, 06:23 PM
https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp-II/performance-spring-kit-for-ruger-lcp-ii-pistols

Buddy of mine tried this and thus far he has zero light strikes since the parts swap. Only about 250 rounds in but it’s looking promising.

Mine was delivered while I was at work. Just finished dryfire function checking the trigger, magazine disconnect, and safety in my gun after the post-supper installation. The fire control group is a Rube Goldbergian pain but it all seems kosher. As a point of clarification for one very poorly made point in the video guide, you are gently prying the gripframe to clear the serial number plaque which is raised into the cutout. You just need to get it clear and you're set to argue with springs and fiddly bits. Safety squints advised as a bunch of parts are under spring tension.

Tomorrow evening, I will load all four mags plus one in chamber of Interceptor and bring enough Velocitor, Stinger, and Winchester Varmint HE to quickly check function for a couple mags each. Plan to brush the chamber between each ammo type if I manage to remember. Fingers crossed in the meantime.

TheNewbie
08-29-2020, 07:38 PM
Received notice from Ruger today that they are replacing the gun. Unfortunately I’m on the hook for the transfer fee so I’m requesting an extra magazine to cover that cost as the defect was on their end, not mine.

What was wrong with it?

davisj
08-29-2020, 09:24 PM
What was wrong with it?

See post #116 and video.

Ruger replaced the pistol. I picked the new one up Thursday but haven’t made it to the range yet.

SCCY Marshal
08-30-2020, 11:10 AM
Bit over one hundred more rounds downrange, today. Five rounds each Interceptor, Stinger, and Winchester HE at 25 yards to check POI. The Interceptor went high but I had difficult lighting with partially shaded target and direct sunligt on my front sight. May have let the front post drift up but didn't have time to recheck. Stinger and HE both a touch right but pretty much on for elevation. The HE grouped the best of the three.

Then shot a 36 round course of fire from one of HeadHunter's e-books. I started loaded 10+1 and performed emergency reloads as the slide locked to the rear. Used a mixture of Stinger and HE at a set seven yards. Target composed of six B-27 ten rings with the X ring shaded as an aiming point. Course of fire worked gigh compressed ready and draws. Strings of six shots slowfire, singles, doubles, and a quicker six shots. I timed everything but the slowfire and made some notes.

HeadHunter's course of fire ended with Los Angeles Police Department's retiree qualification. I just used a QIT-99 trace with a 6" paper plate stapled high center chest and a 3x5 card headbox. Aiming spot drawn on the plate. Drew to a single shot to the plate then down to low ready. From low ready, shot a double to the chest, back down to ready, and then a Mozambique before crunching to a gigj compressed ready. Punched out for a final four shots on the plate. This bit was an obvious gimme but gave me a few more repetitions with the safety, playing with a nonstandard response drill, and introduced both a tighter scoring zone of different shape Nd presentation as well as a target transition. The yellow nail polish on my front sight tracks pretty well.

Taped the headshot, stapled another marked plate over the first, and shot Ohio's police handgun qual. Low roundcont, movement on the draw to help foul my grip, retwntion shooting, and ended at 50 feet as I didn't really feel like revisiting the 25 yard line in a time crunch. Started with Winchester HE and had a bugger of a feedway stoppage after the first retention shot. A tap-rack-bang did not clear it and I had to drop the magazine as in a doublefeed. Then got a failure to fire on my second attempt. Emptied the HE from my magazines and continued with a mixture of Interceptor and Stinger with no further problems. Dropped three shots off the plate. One rushing strong-hand only, and the two from the fifty foot line which I also rushed.

One vaguely interesting note was the third attemot at shooting from retention. The CCI Stingers gave the target some impressive powder stippling. One through the index card despite all three bullets hitting the plate. And some particles penetrated both the plate and heavy cardstock target. May just be a .22 but has a some defijite muzzle blast.

No problems from every mag being dropped in the dirt at least once. Despite deciding against brushing the barrel at any point, the Stinger and Interceptor ran just fine. I'll gave to squeak a few more of each from my meager rainy day stash to have abother range trip before I say they run reliably, however. It does at least feel like this spring kit may save the gun from a return to manufacturer, at least.

This little thing is a decided project but is at least a ton of fun. Bummer that I've had to totally disqualify the Winchester Varmint HE for unreliability, though. The load shoots well otherwise.

SCCY Marshal
09-23-2020, 12:15 PM
Ran 71 rounds of a forgotten assortment of the better looking loads in the gun. After the last shot in one string, I found myself focusing on the back of the slide. Was confused why I wasn't on the sights or target before my conscious caught up with my having felt significant drag on my support hand thumb while the slide cycled. Sure enough, I had induced a failure to eject.

To get some distance, break from the project, and find more perspecitve, I handed the Lite Rackoff to a buddy who had a week off. He ran the 100 rounds I gave him and 100 of his own with no cleaning. With one load, he found POI to match POA at 50 yards but he forgot what it was. No reported stoppages.

I just ran 46 rounds of Aguila Super Extra and it seems like another promising load. May have been the gusting wind and lighting but windage was dead on with bullets impacting 4"-5" high at 25 yards. Have yet to measure but group looks to be in the neighborhood of three inches. Worked 4" circular headshots, both fully exposed and half-covered by a no-shoot, from four to seven yards. Then strong-hand-only shots to a B-27 10 ring five yards distant from a left lateral recumbent position as if I'd buggered my left wrist flopping on a bicycle. Then a 7-12 yard target array of various rocks and forest detritus propped up. And finished with a partial magazine slowfire at four yards without my glasses.

No stoppages since I handed the gun off despite several hundred rounds down the pipe since last cleaning. The spring kit seems, so far, to have fixed the little pocket rocket.

SCCY Marshal
09-23-2020, 02:45 PM
My German eyeball needs calibration. Twenty-five yard group measured 1.9" which I probably couldn't repeat, particularly two handed standing as I was.

SCCY Marshal
09-24-2020, 01:14 PM
Fifty-four rounds of CCI Mini-Mag down the pipe, today. I was managing an averag 0.22 second split time for shots to a B-27 X ring at five yards. Unsure about POI as I couldn't settle down with it better than staying on about a sheet of printer paper at 25 yards. Gun was still dirty and no stoppages.

My initial concerns about building automaticity with the safety have also been eroded. Every time I finished a string and came back to low ready, I thought that I should pop the safety back on as I hadn't thought about doing so. When poking at it, the safety was already engaged every time. My support hand thumb sbakes back to tag it just fine. Remains to be seen how smooth it could be right-hand-only. Disengaging the safety does slow my time to first shot from bothe the draw and any ready position but I haven't found myself having to think about it once I got a good thumb index ingrained to start with.

I'll clean it tonight and stop liveblogging round counts u less something noteworthy comes up. Starting to trust the thing and it feels good.

SCCY Marshal
10-01-2020, 09:54 PM
CCI Mini-Mag gave me a couple failures. Both presented high and the nose was pinned against the top edge of the chamber, holding the slide open. I did not note the magazine or magazines in which the stoppages occurred. I'm adding Mini-Mag to the No Fly list with Varmint HE and RWS Rifle Match. CCI SGB and Federal Champion bulk 36 grain copper washed hollowpoints ran fine in all mags so inclined to lay the blame the ammo.

SecondHandSmoke
10-02-2020, 01:20 PM
36 Grain Mini Mags gave me issues in my example as well. They caused premature slide-lock-ulation, which isn't fun for anyone.

All 40 grain round nose ammo has run fine for me.

Doc_Glock
10-31-2020, 09:17 AM
I finally acquired an example. It seems much better built and designed in general than my Gen 1 LCPs. Really nice fit and finish and machining compared to other Rugers I have owner.

The magazine safety was bugging the hell out of me so that gave me an excuse to tear it apart before even
shooting it. Given the frequency with which pocket guns puke their magazines while
in the pocket I just think it is a stupid idea. But this pistol is certainly not a best choice for self defense.

5.5# trigger with a 1/2lb first stage and a nice snap at the end.

This is 100% a single action gun, so as much as I wanted to remove it, I kept the thumb as factory.

Should be fun to test but if I had to carry a .22 I think I would lean toward the 43C.

Doc_Glock
11-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Beautiful little gun. 157 rounds split between CCI Minimags and Aguila Superextra. Zero malfunctions.

Hits tip of front sight with both at 25 yards. This was my best but I had a 91 and 87.

I find this gun much easier to shoot than a Beretta 21A Bobcat.

Why oh why didn’t they make it in a version 1 LCP format with a kinda DA trigger and no safety? I would carry that.

As it is: Range/plinking toy. It is delightful to shoot, however.

Doc_Glock
11-05-2020, 09:10 AM
Testing LCP 22 150 rounds:

What I noticed: It is extremely unforgiving in faster fire. Crushing the off hand helps.

Two failures to eject fully 1 Aguila, 1 CCI Minimag, 1 light primer hit CCI Minimag, 1 FTFeed, slide open.

I walked away from this session thinking I am wasting my time with this thing. Came home, Rails and barrel still wet with lube. Cleaned chamber, breechface, and under extractor. Will probably give it another go, but will likely just sit in the safe if it can't be reliable.

More likely though it just needs cleaning every 150 rounds. Does anyone have a cleaning schedule that works for malfunction prevention?

farscott
11-05-2020, 09:33 AM
I do not have a LCP II .22 but I do have a lot of rimfire pistols. The statement about being wet with lube after ~150 rounds suggests there may be too much lube. For slide/bolt lube on rimfire pistol, I use just an oily rag. Too much lube collects powder/lead/dust debris slowing the reciprocating parts and leading to failures like failure to return to battery. I also prefer low viscosity lubes for rimfires, especially in colder temperatures.

JHC
11-05-2020, 09:41 AM

What I noticed: It is extremely unforgiving in faster fire. Crushing the off hand helps.

I walked away from this session thinking I am wasting my time with this thing.

That was my experience after trying to run mine a couple times and I let a friend try it out and he shot it far more consistently than I.

He fell in love it with it and happily took mine off my hands. I still think it is a charming inexpensive pistol but I didn't think I'd put the time into it vs other pistols.

Doc_Glock
11-05-2020, 10:01 AM
I do not have a LCP II .22 but I do have a lot of rimfire pistols. The statement about being wet with lube after ~150 rounds suggests there may be too much lube. For slide/bolt lube on rimfire pistol, I use just an oily rag. Too much lube collects powder/lead/dust debris slowing the reciprocating parts and leading to failures like failure to return to battery. I also prefer low viscosity lubes for rimfires, especially in colder temperatures.

Thanks I am using Slip 2000.

Bratch
11-06-2020, 08:58 PM
Picked one up tonight, not sure when I’ll make it to the range but excited to run it through the paces and see if it’ll be a good yard work option. I have a 317 and 43C but think the flatness will be more comfortable if it proves reliable.

Leroy Suggs
11-06-2020, 09:07 PM
I have 2,000+ rounds through mine.
Two failure to fire. Both rounds were duds.
Two failures to feed.
I'm good with that performance.

SCCY Marshal
11-07-2020, 04:54 PM

Two failures to eject fully 1 Aguila, 1 CCI Minimag, 1 light primer hit CCI Minimag, 1 FTFeed, slide open.

I walked away from this session thinking I am wasting my time with this thing. Came home, Rails and barrel still wet with lube. Cleaned chamber, breechface, and under extractor. Will probably give it another go, but will likely just sit in the safe if it can't be reliable.

More likely though it just needs cleaning every 150 rounds. Does anyone have a cleaning schedule that works for malfunction prevention?

Have you tried curled thumbs like revolver and some.Sig shooters rather than thumbs-forward? I've found slide drag to be a big deal with my sample. Installing the Galloway spring kit also made a big and inexpensive difference if you haven't already.

With the ammo shortage, I haven't burned enough to come up with a cleaning schedule. But my existing habit of permanently keeping cleaning rod, bore brushes, Q-tips, and oil in my range bag has proven invaluable.

Tokarev
11-08-2020, 08:30 AM
Installing the Galloway spring kit also made a big and inexpensive difference if you haven't already.

https://gallowayprecision.com/performance-spring-kits/performance-spring-kit-for-ruger-lcp-ii-pistols

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Doc_Glock
11-17-2020, 02:58 PM
Ruger LCP .22: 250 rounds. Total count 550 now.

Dot Torture at 5: 48/50 Pretty shocking performance given the size of the gun.

Then mostly mag dumps, doubles, single handed shooting at 5 yds. Tore the center out of a B8 with <10% hitting out of the black.

Experienced the following stoppages:

-One short stroke after first round, did not load second. This particular malfunction was pretty common with the Beretta Bobcat as well. Must be something sticky with that first round.

-One failure to eject

-Two premature slide locking back mid mag which was grip related, I was able to prevent any further with a grip adjustment.

-One failure to lock back on empty mag.

-One stovepipe failure to eject.

You would think that many in 250 rounds would have me hating the gun, but not really. And the last 50 rounds ran flawlessly. I think this pistol likes to be run kind of dry, but kind of clean as suggested by the good folks in this thread.

I am endlessly annoyed that Ruger didn't make this thing, kinda DAO, and without the slide lock like the original LCP. It would be an incredible little carry package if it were. The safety is a complete annoyance. Fairly easy to release, but difficult to put back on using my right hand. The slide lock is nearly useless and can be a nidus for stoppages. I don't carry any spare mags with a pocket gun and don't have a use for it.

Doc_Glock
11-20-2020, 01:24 PM
I want to thank whomever advised me to run this gun clean but dry. It is running a lot better. 130 rounds no difficulty today. It is getting really fun to shoot and has not had a stoppage in 180 rounds. Fingers crossed. It is clean, but not particularly wet, just a drop here and there.

I may be amazingly stupid but the safety bugged me so much I just removed it. The sear is the only thing holding the hammer. The sear interface is very strong, the trigger is 6-7lbs, there is a trigger dingus to keep it from pulling on a drop to the rear, and a half cock notch if the sear gives way due to a fall on the nose which is also highly unlikely due to its light weight and a really strong sear spring. Don't do what I do, but I am a lot happier with the safety gone. As a range toy. I am not carrying it and will not this way without a lot more testing.

Doc_Glock
11-21-2020, 01:50 PM
So I have been obsessing over this little thing a while:

FYI

Loaded weights comparison:

NAA Revolver: 8.0oz loaded with 5x40grain
LCP 22 12.0 Oz loaded with 11x40grain
LCP 380 12.2oz loaded 7x90grain
43 C 12.4oz with 8x40gr
Bobcat 21a 13.9oz loaded with 8x40 grain
340PD 14.4oz with 5x158g
LCR .22 15.7oz loaded with 8x40 grain

Weight per round loaded in pocket holster:
LCP .22 Nemesis 13.1oz/11 1.19oz/round
S&W 43C in Safariland 25: ~14.2oz/8=1.78oz/round
LCP in Nemesis: 13.8oz/7=1.97 oz/round
LCR .22 in Mika 18.1oz/8=2.26oz/round

Drop Safety thoughts:

From Ruger's website:

https://ruger.com/products/lcpII/specSheets/13705.html

"Additional safety features include a magazine disconnect; neutrally balanced sear with significant engagement and strong spring tension; and hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled."

This is identical to the 380 version which does not feature a manual safety (or mag disconnect). And they have made millions of them. And it agrees with my firsthand observations that it would be near impossible to drop the hammer without pulling the trigger.

https://ruger.com/products/lcpII/specSheets/3750.html

I checked sear engagement with the LCP 22: it is around as much as the striker overlap on a Glock or the engagement on a AR. Eyeballing it here. It is at least 2-3x as much at a B92 SA engagement, and around as much as trigger bar engagement on the B92 DA notch.

The Hammer block is totally independent of sear engagement so not a true half cock. It's a little leg that grabs the hammer in an entirely different place.

After all this I am significantly more confident in the Ruger LCP II and LCP 22 design and may pick up some 380 versions as they have a trigger more similar to my usual carry Glock.

If you are more of a DA guy, the classic LCP has a closer to DA trigger and IMO is easier to shoot well due to that.

Beside the fact that Ruger is litigation averse due to a history of drop fire issues with revolvers that cost them, has a strong engineering reputation. And have made millions of these. I just don't think they would make these drop unsafe.

I have no idea why they engineered the mag safety and manual safety into the .22 version, though. It added significant complexity and parts count to the design. It seems they would not go to the effort without a compelling reason, so that gives me pause.

In short: I think I am fine deleting both the mag disconnect and manual safety. And the pistol is a lot more enjoyable and practical without them. For me.

The LCP 22 is also the lightest, smallest, most efficient from a weight/round perspective of nearly any practical pistol on the market.

Leroy Suggs
11-21-2020, 08:32 PM
Doc_Glock. Great post. Thank you.

Doc_Glock
12-05-2020, 09:04 PM
LCP II .22: 250 more rounds of Aguila 40 grain as fast as I could reload mag. Fast, easy to shoot, accurate, and totally reliable for the last 500 rounds. There is a lot to like with this pistol. Glad I stuck with it and the light lube suggestion is solid gold.

Leroy Suggs
12-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Yup. They are great little pistols.
I love mine.

feudist
12-05-2020, 11:46 PM
Mine is at the FFL waiting.

Plan to wring it out Monday.

Doc_Glock
12-14-2020, 06:00 PM
Shot 300 through LCP 22

Dot Torture at 5: 46. At 7: 44

Supertests: 271, 280, 291, 275, 277-1

Lots of failures to extract mainly after first shot on a loaded mag. I checked it carefully at home and there was crud on the breech face so I cleaned that up really well. Maybe that was keeping the extractor from getting under the lip. Extractor looks fine.

Ruger breaking my heart yet again with these little pistols. I love shooting it and want a reliable pocket .22. I noticed in the super tests that the time limits were a joke with a .22. Shooting fast and accurately is not the issue. Reliability remains a problem.

Doc_Glock
12-19-2020, 02:58 PM
Can anyone on this thread confirm that their LCP .22 has an angled but to the bottom of the extractor as shown in this photo?

It may be that my extractor is broken on that bottom edge there, which would explain the failures to extract. I took it out and looked at it pretty carefully before, though, and the bottom appears to me to be designed with that angle and it didn’t look broken. I just want to confirm this one way or the other. If it is broken that would actually make me pretty happy because it would explain how a reliable pistol suddenly became unreliable.

Leroy Suggs
12-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Can anyone on this thread confirm that their LCP .22 has an angled but to the bottom of the extractor as shown in this photo?

It may be that my extractor is broken on that bottom edge there, which would explain the failures to extract. I took it out and looked at it pretty carefully before, though, and the bottom appears to me to be designed with that angle and it didn’t look broken. I just want to confirm this one way or the other. If it is broken that would actually make me pretty happy because it would explain how a reliable pistol suddenly became unreliable.

My extractor is square at the bottom.
It looks like yours is broken.
I have near 3,000 rounds through mine and not a single failure to extract.

Leroy Suggs
12-19-2020, 03:50 PM
Doc_Glock64908

swampyank33
12-19-2020, 05:20 PM

It may be that my extractor is broken on that bottom edge there, which would explain the failures to extract. I took it out and looked at it pretty carefully before, though, and the bottom appears to me to be designed with that angle and it didn’t look broken. I just want to confirm this one way or the other. If it is broken that would actually make me pretty happy because it would explain how a reliable pistol suddenly became unreliable.Mine looks exactly the same, with the angle.
I only have about 600 rounds through mine, and was pretty underwhelmed with its reliability, including lots of failures to extract. I honestly just lost interest in getting it ironed out and it has sat in the safe for months.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Doc_Glock
12-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Mine looks exactly the same, with the angle.
I only have about 600 rounds through mine, and was pretty underwhelmed with its reliability, including lots of failures to extract. I honestly just lost interest in getting it ironed out and it has sat in the safe for months.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Ruh-roh.

Can we get more data points from other owners?

feudist
12-20-2020, 12:45 AM
I had 3 light strikes in the first hundred. Looked like good hits. Minimags, all fired the second strike.

SCCY Marshal
12-20-2020, 07:52 PM
Ruh-roh.

Can we get more data points from other owners?

Angled but neither ad much nor going as far up the extractor. Looks wonky on the flat toward the breech face. Also had extraction issues.

Who wants to contact Ruger, first?

willie
12-20-2020, 08:02 PM
"Shop Ruger" sells these. They are cheap. I would buy a couple. On one I would take off .003 on the underside so that it would move further inward and have more bite on the case in front of the rim. But before I did anything with the extractor, I wood clean and polish the chamber. And I would try different ammo brands if available,

Doc_Glock
12-20-2020, 10:21 PM
"Shop Ruger" sells these. They are cheap. I would buy a couple. On one I would take off .003 on the underside so that it would move further inward and have more bite on the case in front of the rim. But before I did anything with the extractor, I wood clean and polish the chamber. And I would try different ammo brands if available,

Please post a link because all I see are the .380 extractors which are not the same at all.

Doc_Glock
12-20-2020, 10:25 PM
Angled but neither ad much nor going as far up the extractor. Looks wonky on the flat toward the breech face. Also had extraction issues.

Who wants to contact Ruger, first?

I already sent email. Likely they will respond telling me to call tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.

When I had the extractor out and inspected the cartridge grabbing side of it the angle looked like it was designed in and not a break. Maybe a running change? Either way it slips off when I pull a case by hand, and the gun had zero problems extracting until recently.

I think it is broken. Will request they send a new one out which they have been willing to do for .380 versions in the past. I would be willing to buy a few but can not find them for sale.

willie
12-20-2020, 10:57 PM
Please post a link because all I see are the .380 extractors which are not the same at all.

Doc, I made a careless error despite having higher than 8th grade reading level. Shop Ruger lists 380 extractors only as you stated.

willie
12-21-2020, 05:03 PM
I already sent email. Likely they will respond telling me to call tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.

When I had the extractor out and inspected the cartridge grabbing side of it the angle looked like it was designed in and not a break. Maybe a running change? Either way it slips off when I pull a case by hand, and the gun had zero problems extracting until recently.

I think it is broken. Will request they send a new one out which they have been willing to do for .380 versions in the past. I would be willing to buy a few but can not find them for sale.

If you have not yet sent the request, I urge you to ask for a new plunger and spring so that the entire works there can be replaced.

Doc_Glock
12-22-2020, 12:01 PM
Ruger CS is happy to send out a replacment. But they are out of parts. Will send when available. And I will report if it makes a difference.

Doc_Glock
01-05-2021, 07:27 PM
Alright I have to apologize to this pistol. It just needed a more thorough cleaning than I had been giving it.

Today was 305 rounds of full 11 round capacity mag dumps starting with a clean gun. I had a single FTE at round 245. That is about all one can ask.

I think I had not been giving the chamber enough attention during cleaning. I just usually run a Qtip down it and call it good. Prior to today I took a good look inside and it had some grunge that required solvent and brass brush to remove.

My current test for “clean enough” is when a .22 round will plunk fully in to the chamber and fall right out with gravity with the barrel removed.

I am not sure the extractor does a whole lot so a sticky chamber can be problematic.

It for sure failed the plunk test after 305 rounds, but was still running.

I think I want another one for carry.

Doc_Glock
01-12-2021, 10:55 PM
I found this article very helpful and it confirmed a lot of best practices for running this little .22.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2021/01/12/working-with-22s/

Oldherkpilot
01-13-2021, 06:47 AM
I found this article very helpful and it confirmed a lot of best practices for running this little .22.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2021/01/12/working-with-22s/

What's your take on the dry lube suggestion? I toyed with dry lube years ago in the cold Iowa winters but now use synthetic lube year round. I've had no issues with any of my .22s but like to go with best-practice when I can.

Doc_Glock
01-13-2021, 07:37 AM
What's your take on the dry lube suggestion? I toyed with dry lube years ago in the cold Iowa winters but now use synthetic lube year round. I've had no issues with any of my .22s but like to go with best-practice when I can.

No experience but this LCP likes to be pretty dry and clean. I am barely lubing it and then wiping most of that off.

BN
01-13-2021, 08:05 AM
What's your take on the dry lube suggestion?

I've been using Hornady One Shot cleaner and dry lube on my 10-22s. Seems to keep them clean. I cleaned my 10-22, applied One Shot and I've been treating it like a Glock with no problems. ;)

Doc_Glock
02-02-2021, 05:02 PM
Forgot to post these last week:

These are acceptable shooting performance numbers but reliability still is 99%. Two misfeeds in 190 rounds.

I also solved the only one magazine issue:

revolvergeek
02-25-2021, 07:58 PM
My used pawn shot rescue that I bought cheap made it's first trip to the range today and I am very pleased. One failure to fire with some cheap Federal 36 grn plated HP bulk pack but that was the only issue. I cleaned it and lubed it with a bit of Slip 2000 EWG before shooting. Just played around at 5 - 10 yards mostly. Did not fire it at any real distance because this is a not that kind of gun to me. No formal drills with it. Functioned perfectly other than that one round with no other failures to feed/ fire/ extract/cycle when fired with either one or two hands. I was hoping that buying it used would get me past the break in period and that seems to be the case.

I had problems with the front sight but painting it bright orange fixed that. It shoots to point of aim at short range and points pretty well. I put maybe 140 rounds though it (tested several guns today) and it was perfect other than that one failure to fire. Did well with CCI minimags and Velocitors. It blows a pretty surprising little cloud of fire with the MiniMags. This target was two handed as fast as I could flash a sight picture. Everything shot a bit left today and I think that is more my eyes (four year old prescription) than the guns.

http://www.fototime.com/C6A704E6D4B6851/xlarge.jpg

Doc_Glock
05-06-2021, 09:47 AM

I got a new extractor. It would appear the one in my pistol is not broken and is the most updated part. They have a little angle at the bottom.

SCCY Marshal
05-14-2021, 11:20 AM
Threw mine in the new man purse wile following the dog. 28 rounds downrange in pursuit of the wily North American beer can and knocking stones off stumps. Aguila Super Extra 38 grain coper washed hollow points hit high even at seven paces. Ignition reliability seems good, though. Most of our rifles hate igniting this load but seems promising in wee Ruger.

SCCY Marshal
05-15-2021, 04:43 PM
Twenty-one more of the Super Extra 38gr copper plated hollow points downrange. Ten into a roughly 2" group on an old rusty bucket five yards away while using the bail mount as an aiming spot..

SCCY Marshal
05-19-2021, 10:17 AM
Eleven Mini-Mag 40gr solids and eleven Remington Golden Bullet plus a handful of full power 22 Short. Last cleaned 60 rounds before that so now 71 rounds fired since last cleaning.

If loaded singly in the magazine, a Short will feed. When fired, it will lock the slide open and eject but land closer to the gun. If one Short is loaded directly into the chamber and a magazine inserted with one other Short, the gun will fire the first, chamber the second, fire it, and lock open on empty...there is a tick crawling across my computer screen...If more than one short is loaded into the magazine, all but the cartridge on the follower will nose down into the feedramp, cause a stoppage, and have significant damage to the bullet nose.

Doc_Glock
05-19-2021, 12:08 PM
I put 90 trouble free rounds through mine. A friend and I were both able to make consistent hits at 100 yards on a 2"X3" steel target in a pretty stiff wind. That was unexpected!

Outpost75
05-19-2021, 04:59 PM

I agree! Would like to see that version with a 3-1/2" threaded (for can) barrel installed on the standard length slide and an extended magazine which reverts to double-stack protruding below the butt, ala Savage, holding ten rounds.

revolvergeek
05-20-2021, 05:46 PM
I would love a .32 acp conversion barrel for my old LCP. Would be a much nicer gun to shoot and would maybe pick up one more round in the magazine. Plus I have a pile of Geco .32 Ball.

Bad range day today for my LCP II 22. Had several failures to feed with CCI MiniMag RNs jumping up the feed ramp and laying across the mouth of the chamber. First jams ever with it and CCI ammo. Need to try it again with CCI SV and MiniMag HPs next trip. Still really like it for a grass mowing / yard work gun, but not for defensive carry at this point.

SCCY Marshal
06-23-2021, 11:15 AM
Gorillafritz briefly posted about his sample for what one more is worth:

"Assuming the gun stays reliable, I think I’m probably going to lock my .380 LCP in the safe and carry the .22 in situations where having a “real gun” isn’t possible. I think I’d rather have 10 or 15 .22 rounds in my carry piece than six .380 rounds. This is especially true given that I’ll be carrying the gun in the hideout role, where I probably won’t be carrying a spare magazine." (https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/initial-impressions-22-ruger-lcp-ii)

Doc_Glock
06-23-2021, 01:21 PM
Gorillafritz briefly posted about his sample for what one more is worth:

"Assuming the gun stays reliable, I think I’m probably going to lock my .380 LCP in the safe and carry the .22 in situations where having a “real gun” isn’t possible. I think I’d rather have 10 or 15 .22 rounds in my carry piece than six .380 rounds. This is especially true given that I’ll be carrying the gun in the hideout role, where I probably won’t be carrying a spare magazine." (https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/initial-impressions-22-ruger-lcp-ii)

I go back and forth on this. Certainly the LCP 22 is very easy to shoot and, while cleaned and properly lubricated very reliable. But as @behindblueeyes says in the small caliber thread: .22 doesn't reliably break bones while .380 will. I still carry the .380 version when I pocket carry.

Tokarev
07-20-2021, 07:56 AM
American Rifleman Review:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/review-ruger-lcp-ii-lite-rack/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Leroy Suggs
07-20-2021, 10:50 AM
I shoot mine 50 rounds every week, and as someone somewhere said, "it's boringly reliable."

johnnywitt
08-02-2021, 05:26 PM
LCP II .22: 250 more rounds of Aguila 40 grain as fast as I could reload mag. Fast, easy to shoot, accurate, and totally reliable for the last 500 rounds. There is a lot to like with this pistol. Glad I stuck with it and the light lube suggestion is solid gold.

The KEY to .22 autos is light lube & a CLP called Eezox. Just lightly lube and your GTG. I swear by this stuff. In addition to being the best thing for RF Ops, it was #1 for rust prevention, so you can use it to wipe down all your Guns. Get it on Amazon last I checked.

I'm a RF Fanatic & always have been thanks to my old G.I Grandfathers who liked to shoot all the time, but couldn't stand to spend the dollars on CF. They always said that RF's were the most fun thing to shoot & I'm thinking they were right.

Doc_Glock
05-13-2022, 05:15 PM
Still enjoying the LCP 22. For me it runs best clean, but completely dry of any sort of lube.

After 3000 rounds I added a Galloway spring kit with +10% hammer and +10% extractor and -10% firing pin springs in the hopes of getting rid of the occasional unfired primer. This is happening primarily with minimags.

Today was 200 rounds in 19 mags, so pretty rapid fire and it got hot. No issues but four minimags failed to ignite. One of those fired second time and the other three were good solid duds that would not fire after multiple hits in multiple guns. I have a bunch of the minimag stuff that I just can't trust.

The last 100 rounds though were trouble free and I saved ten velocitors for last and they ran just fine.

I think the gun is probably solid and my ammo is suspect despite the CCI reputation. I am not sure the spring kit did anything at all. I no longer have any other sort of malfunction except failures to ignite since I stopped lubricating it. I also note that dirt does not accumulate all that much on the rails, nor does there seem to be any wear.

Tannhauser
05-17-2022, 08:33 AM
This thread has been a good read. Seeing reports of this pistol providing reliable service over significant round counts (and the sort of maintenance required for that level of reliabilty) is appreciated.

I've been considering one of these as a backup gun. I have an LCP I in .380 that has proven very reliable. I like the form factor on the LCP, particularly for back pocket carry, but the recoil from defensive power .380 is pretty unpleasant. I've tried a Hogue grip on it, which helps mitigate the recoil but adds substantially to the form factor.

I had considered the LCP II in 22LR as an option to provide the form factor with more manageable recoil. Looks like it really could be viable.

Doc_Glock
05-17-2022, 09:40 AM
I put another 100 reliable rounds through the LCP2 at a dusty outdoor range. No drama.

I pocket carried it on a hike recently. I had two thoughts the entire time:

1. It just doesn’t feel like enough cartridge and I definitely felt “under-gunned”

2. I had to resist the constant urge to snatch that thing out of the pocket and plink at everything in sight:).

feudist
05-17-2022, 11:20 AM
Mine will choke on everything I've tried except Minimags. All the Fail to feeds catch on the top of the barrel hood using 5 different mags.
Minimags feed perfectly but I'm having a persistent light strike rate of @2%.
The Galloway extra power kit has had one light strike in the last hundred rounds, so a minor(perhaps premature?) improvement.
Still thinking about sending it in.

Tannhauser
05-17-2022, 11:28 AM
Mine will choke on everything I've tried except Minimags. All the Fail to feeds catch on the top of the barrel hood using 5 different mags.
Minimags feed perfectly but I'm having a persistent light strike rate of @2%.
The Galloway extra power kit has had one light strike in the last hundred rounds, so a minor(perhaps premature?) improvement.

That almost sounds like a slightly out of spec barrel. But this would be my most undesireable scenario, a pocket 22 that wasn't reliable.

LockedBreech
05-17-2022, 11:39 AM
I put another 100 reliable rounds through the LCP2 at a dusty outdoor range. No drama.

I pocket carried it on a hike recently. I had two thoughts the entire time:

1. It just doesn’t feel like enough cartridge and I definitely felt “under-gunned”

2. I had to resist the constant urge to snatch that thing out of the pocket and plink at everything in sight:).

Perfectly natural. .22LR rounds emit a low-level psychoactive field that causes feelings of heightened aggression toward soda cans, milk jugs, tree stumps, and paper.

Gun Mutt
05-17-2022, 02:15 PM

I'd have Ruger on the phone first thing in the morning...you've been more than patient with it.

Polecat
05-17-2022, 02:33 PM
Its frustrating but it seems hit or miss with them. My LCP .22 is great, in fact really makes alot more sense than my .25s and little .22 beretta. My LCP Max sucked ass, poor choppy machining of slide with metal splintering, got it back with new slide and it looked better, but they didnt center the rear sight amd the whole thing was jacked up. It would fire when the trigger was held all way to max take up then drop striker after a fleeting pause. Got rid of that POS and havent revisited that disaster though others rave.

ScottNH
05-19-2022, 11:12 AM
Big fan of mine. I put the Galloway kit in early, and have had no problems with it since. Mostly Stingers for carry and Aguila HV for practice.

I had Innovative Arms add their excellent sights:

https://i.imgur.com/KyItwl4.jpg

And now it's one of my favorites for pocket carry if I'm wearing lightweight shorts, and my wife loves it for her walks.

And here it is in my favorite configuration:

https://i.imgur.com/juXIPR1.jpg

Great little weapon.

Doc_Glock
07-02-2022, 09:01 PM
I got a brand new second one. Took out the mag and thumb safeties.

Shot 20 mags through it rapidly and had zero, ZERO malfunctions. I didn’t expect that. Good to go.

My first one had some failures to light. That seems corrected with a Galloway Spring kit after 3500 rounds.

Run them clean and dry and they seem to work great.

TheNewbie
03-20-2023, 04:48 AM
What are people's current thoughts on these?

Leroy Suggs
03-20-2023, 07:09 AM
What are people's current thoughts on these?

Still very positive. Get yourself one.:D:D

Doc_Glock
04-01-2023, 10:25 PM
I put 50 rounds through with a Mist suppressor. I had more than a few short stroke malfunctions.

Ruger supplies a heavier recoil spring with their threaded barrel kit. That is what I had installed but it is too heavy. I reinstalled the standard blue recoil spring and we’ll see what happens.

It’s quiet but you can not see the sights and it tends to throw junk back into your face. I don’t think I will use this pistol as a suppressor host often, if ever again besides function checking the lighter spring. The Glock 44 is way better for this purpose.

feudist
04-02-2023, 12:00 PM
I'm at 3000 rounds through mine. With HV Minimags it cycles 100% with about a half percent ignition failure rate.
I've been using it as a subcaliber trainer to my .380, both for hand pain and the cost of ammo.
To that end I shoot a variety of single shot drills, alternating 2 hands and strong hand only, from the pocket starting hands relaxed or "covered low ready."
I do dry practice with the centerfire.
I also bought 500 Aguila .22 Colibri that I am going to use for "scored" dryfire in my basement on rainy days when I've just gotta shoot.

JoeSixPack
04-03-2023, 09:32 PM
I'm at 3000 rounds through mine. With HV Minimags it cycles 100% with about a half percent ignition failure rate.
I've been using it as a subcaliber trainer to my .380, both for hand pain and the cost of ammo.
To that end I shoot a variety of single shot drills, alternating 2 hands and strong hand only, from the pocket starting hands relaxed or "covered low ready."
I do dry practice with the centerfire.
I also bought 500 Aguila .22 Colibri that I am going to use for "scored" dryfire in my basement on rainy days when I've just gotta shoot.

Enjoy but be sure to track every one of those Colibris in a blowback autoloader. I had one stick in the barrel of my G44.

Tannhauser
04-25-2023, 06:53 AM
Still very positive. Get yourself one.:D:D

This thread worked on me. Messaged my LGS and they have one coming in from their distributor for me.

feudist
04-25-2023, 11:25 AM
Enjoy but be sure to track every one of those Colibris in a blowback autoloader. I had one stick in the barrel of my G44.

They're clearing the short barrel just fine but 100 rounds was enough to lead the chamber enough to not chamber a Long Rifle.
Duh.
Note to self...

Polecat
04-25-2023, 05:08 PM
I wish they would offer a .32 ACP! Dream LCP, orig LCP with ameriglo front, sights and trigger like on the “custom” maybe 8-10 rounds.

I love my TCP .32, but trigger bar broke once, installed used one and works fine. The .32 is really nice in these smaller guns. But hey I am a huge .32 fanboi.

Crusader
04-28-2023, 10:00 AM
I’ve already got too many 22 handguns, but I’m really thinking about getting one of these. I’ve got a LCPII and a LCP Max, both have been very good with the minimal amount of rounds I’ve fired with them (1100 LCPII, 500 Max). Mostly my hand loads, but also several mags of new hollow point ammo through each. My mind is telling me you got to get the 22 to round out the LCP armory.

Leroy Suggs
04-28-2023, 12:11 PM
I’ve already got too many 22 handguns, but I’m really thinking about getting one of these. I’ve got a LCPII and a LCP Max, both have been very good with the minimal amount of rounds I’ve fired with them (1100 LCPII, 500 Max). Mostly my hand loads, but also several mags of new hollow point ammo through each. My mind is telling me you got to get the 22 to round out the LCP armory.

Listen to your mind.:cool:

PNWTO
04-28-2023, 12:54 PM
Listen to your mind.:cool:

Yep, thinking one of these may be a good “work from home” item.

There’s a 590A1 secured about five feet from my desk so I figure I can sacrifice for convenience.

Tannhauser
04-28-2023, 03:51 PM
Picked mine up from the LGS today at lunch. I just finished breaking it down, cleaning all surfaces and then reassembling with a very little lubricant.

Are 50 gr RN Mini-Mags typically good to go in these pistols? My current plan is to bring a box or two of Nini-Mags to the range tomorrow.

feudist
04-28-2023, 08:40 PM
Picked mine up from the LGS today at lunch. I just finished breaking it down, cleaning all surfaces and then reassembling with a very little lubricant.

Are 50 gr RN Mini-Mags typically good to go in these pistols? My current plan is to bring a box or two of Nini-Mags to the range tomorrow.

The 1235 FPS 40 grain Mini-Mag solids function great in mine. I'm at 3100 through mine, most of which are those.

Tannhauser
04-30-2023, 01:42 PM
Range report

I stripped and cleaned the LCP II well before the first range trip, and I used only a tiny amount of 3-IN-ONE Dry Lube (from the article by Claude Werner) on the areas one would normally lubricate on a semi auto.

I fired 100 rounds of Mini-Mags, 50 rounds of Aguila 40 gr HV and 100 rounds of Federal Champion. CCI and Aguila ran flawlessly.

The Federal ran fine except for 3 rounds that failed to fire. Each of them I inspected, and they all had a prominent firing pin strike on the rim. I rotated them and tried each a second time. One fired in the LCP. I took the other two and tried them in a MK IV that has been very reliable, and one of the two fired. The final unfired 22 LR went into the dud bin with 3 firing pin strikes spread about 120 deg apart.

I staggered the types of ammo, so the Federal failures happened through the firing cycle. I purchased a case of this Federal Champion way back in the day, and I've been chewing through it recently as my bulk range 22 ammo. I haven't had any misfires in my Ruger MK pistols, but the sample size from this range trip is not large enough to consider causality. Clearly one of the three rounds was pure garbage.

As long as the LCP continues to perform as it did with Mini-Mags and Aguilas, I'll be perfectly happy.

As for performance, this LCP has all the ergonomic challenges of my LCP 380, but the recoil is night and day. I was fully expecting less recoil, but the 22 is almost nothing, even in this tiny pistol.

Tannhauser
06-04-2023, 10:37 AM
Has anyone fired enough Federal Punch through their LCP II to consider it reliable enough for carry purposes?

I grabbed a box of 50 to try in mine, figuring if the 22 rimfire that costs close to centerfire per round didn't work, a single box wouldn't be a big investment.

I had one failure to feed on the first mag, but based on the angle of the round I think it might have been sitting strangely in the mag (so operator error). The round missed the feed ramps and jammed against the breech face. I resolved the error, then reloaded the round into the mag and gave the mag a solid whack before loading and it ran find. The other 40 rounds all fed fine as well.

Accuracy was excellent, shooting a tight group right at POA. I'm thinking about trying more, but I was curious if anyone else had run a significant round count through their LCP and if so, the results?

Dave303
06-04-2023, 04:16 PM
Has anyone fired enough Federal Punch through their LCP II to consider it reliable enough for carry purposes?

Federal Punch is the only “quality” ammo my LCP II is NOT reliable with.
I have the Galloway spring kit and MCARBO recoil spring.
I’ve settled on CCI Stingers as the preferred round in mine.

Tannhauser
06-04-2023, 07:40 PM
Federal Punch is the only “quality” ammo my LCP II is NOT reliable with.
I have the Galloway spring kit and MCARBO recoil spring.
I’ve settled on CCI Stingers as the preferred round in mine.

That’s unfortunate. I will probably try sone simply fir my own edification.

WDR
06-04-2023, 08:34 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of one of these as a pocket gun again, and I think if I was using it for that purpose, I'd dig into my stash of CCI SGB, or Velocitor to stoke it with.

BN
06-05-2023, 09:09 AM
Mine has trouble with Fed Punch. I shot 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mag with no problems the other day. I'll probably try CCI Velocitor to see if it works.

I had to install a Galloway spring kit to get reliable ignition with anything.

It's still an experiment for me for now. I doubt it will replace my 43c anytime soon.

Tannhauser
07-07-2023, 08:59 AM
Another duration for the LCP22 crew:

Any experience with the TandomKross Wingman extension?

I received one as part of a mag buy, and the Wingman extended mag constantly jams with CCI MiniMags.

With any of my other 8 mags my LCP22 devours MiniMags without a hitch. The TK extended mag is the outlier, leafing me to believe it’s the mag extension’s fault.

Curious if anyone else has had this same experience?

maximus83
07-07-2023, 11:03 AM
Not to detract from the discussion around the LCP .22 as a fun gun, trainer, etc. But one thing that surprises is folks talking about using a .22 semiauto as a pocket gun.

I've never had ANY .22lr pistol that reached the level of reliability I'd want in a defensive pistol. Have had .380 mouseguns that were reliable enough for occasional NPE/pocket carry, including the original LCP and now an LCP Max.

feudist
07-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Not to detract from the discussion around the LCP .22 as a fun gun, trainer, etc. But one thing that surprises is folks talking about using a .22 semiauto as a pocket gun.

I've never had ANY .22lr pistol that reached the level of reliability I'd want in a defensive pistol. Have had .380 mouseguns that were reliable enough for occasional NPE/pocket carry, including the original LCP and now an LCP Max.

My LCP .22 was relatively reliable with a couple of .22 loads, and perfectly reliable in function with Minimag solids. But it had a misfire rate of about 1/100.
I added the Galloway kit and that reduced it to about 1/200, again with perfect cycling.
I finally ran through my stash of Minimags that I bought the night before Hilary's coronation and bought new production stuff from 2022.
Since then, I've had zero stoppages or misfires in over 1000 rounds.
I'm still reluctant to carry it and use it as a trainer for my .380.
The thing is, I've carried several centerfire pistols after far less vetting with Duty ammo, usually 200-300 rounds. Many people don't even agree with that number, calling it unnecessary based on their particular reasoning about what causes mechanical malfunctions.

I dunno.

maximus83
07-07-2023, 01:37 PM
My LCP .22 was relatively reliable with a couple of .22 loads, and perfectly reliable in function with Minimag solids. But it had a misfire rate of about 1/100.
I added the Galloway kit and that reduced it to about 1/200, again with perfect cycling.
I finally ran through my stash of Minimags that I bought the night before Hilary's coronation and bought new production stuff from 2022.
Since then, I've had zero stoppages or misfires in over 1000 rounds.
I'm still reluctant to carry it and use it as a trainer for my .380.
The thing is, I've carried several centerfire pistols after far less vetting with Duty ammo, usually 200-300 rounds. Many people don't even agree with that number, calling it unnecessary based on their particular reasoning about what causes mechanical malfunctions.

I dunno.

Good points, esp on your last, it's hard to objectively prove what counts as vetted. Usually with CF I like to get at least 500 or preferably 1K trouble-free rounds, before I feel comfortable carrying a pistol and load.

On having zero failures in over 1K rounds, that's excellent on a .22 pistol. Don't think I've ever had any .22 pistol make close to that, even after tweaking for reliability. Even when you get the pistol totally dialed in, often with .22lr its the ammo.

feudist
07-07-2023, 04:59 PM
Good points, esp on your last, it's hard to objectively prove what counts as vetted. Usually with CF I like to get at least 500 or preferably 1K trouble-free rounds, before I feel comfortable carrying a pistol and load.

On having zero failures in over 1K rounds, that's excellent on a .22 pistol. Don't think I've ever had any .22 pistol make close to that, even after tweaking for reliability. Even when you get the pistol totally dialed in, often with .22lr its the ammo.

Most all .22s are designed and intended as recreational plinkers. When attention is given to the pistol for serious use like matches or hunting its accuracy gets most of the attention.
The LCP .22 was based on a reliable defensive pistol that was low powered enough to engineer a .22lr to work, and designed and marketed explicitly as a defensive carry pistol.

I'm relatively confident that I could purchase a current production iteration(mine was one of the earliest models) and get perfect reliability with Minimags or Eley primed ammo that vetted through it.
In the case of Minimags there is the advantage of vetting the gun with your practice ammo.
Claude Werner has been adamant that if you stay away from bulk ammo then quality rimfire is at least as reliable as bulk CF. With certain caveats about handling, storage, buying by Lot number and routine consumption of the carry ammo, i tend to agree.

The increase in deliverable accuracy, rate of fire, training tolerance and of course training expense is remarkable to an average shooter with aging hands like me.
I really wish someone would do some calibrated ordnance gel tests using FBI or IWBA standards. All I have been able to find are Clear Ballistics tests, which have been called into serious question on here by several SMEs.

PTSDog
07-07-2023, 07:54 PM
Another duration for the LCP22 crew:

Any experience with the TandomKross Wingman extension?

I received one as part of a mag buy, and the Wingman extended mag constantly jams with CCI MiniMags.

With any of my other 8 mags my LCP22 devours MiniMags without a hitch. The TK extended mag is the outlier, leafing me to believe it’s the mag extension’s fault.

Curious if anyone else has had this same experience?

Try CCI 40GR SOLIDS. I got the best results with those and Aguilia ammo.

WDR
07-07-2023, 10:38 PM
I really wish someone would do some calibrated ordnance gel tests using FBI or IWBA standards. All I have been able to find are Clear Ballistics tests, which have been called into serious question on here by several SMEs.

Not much point to it. From truly small handguns, .22LR almost never expands much, if at all. If it does, it gives up penetration. .22 hollow points probably wont be able to resist plugging with clothing very well. Solids are not a bad option for small .22's. Hollow points that don't expand, end up working about the same as solids. From longer barreled (5" plus, IME) .22's some loads might give some expansion. Rifles are a different story of course.

The reason I'm eyeing CCI Velocitor as a defense round in a tiny gun, is that the extra oomph might cycle the gun better, and get just a smidge more penetration. I'd treat it like I would a .32 or .380: feed it ball(ish) ammo and not expect any expansion.

feudist
07-07-2023, 11:08 PM
Not much point to it. From truly small handguns, .22LR almost never expands much, if at all. If it does, it gives up penetration. .22 hollow points probably wont be able to resist plugging with clothing very well. Solids are not a bad option for small .22's. Hollow points that don't expand, end up working about the same as solids. From longer barreled (5" plus, IME) .22's some loads might give some expansion. Rifles are a different story of course.

The reason I'm eyeing CCI Velocitor as a defense round in a tiny gun, is that the extra oomph might cycle the gun better, and get just a smidge more penetration. I'd treat it like I would a .32 or .380: feed it ball(ish) ammo and not expect any expansion.

Penetration data is what I want, I wouldn't expect .22 to expand and penetrate much at all. If I understand the criticism against Clear Ballistics it doesn't measure either penetration or expansion correctly.
The single calibrated ordnance result I found was one Velocitor fired by Werner from a Beretta 21A at an ammo manufacturer demo. It went 17 inches. But it was only one shot probably 10-12 years ago.

PNWTO
07-08-2023, 12:59 AM
Penetration data is what I want, I wouldn't expect .22 to expand and penetrate much at all. If I understand the criticism against Clear Ballistics it doesn't measure either penetration or expansion correctly.
The single calibrated ordnance result I found was one Velocitor fired by Werner from a Beretta 21A at an ammo manufacturer demo. It went 17 inches. But it was only one shot probably 10-12 years ago.

I would send Chuck Haggard a message/comment on IG.

WDR
07-08-2023, 09:16 PM

Most will get you at least 12" of penetration, if they don't expand. If you are worried about it, just use a RN or solid bullet, not a hollow point. Treat it like .32 ACP or .380: "ball" ammo only. Don't overthink it.

Unfortunately, not many places are going to go to the trouble of full on 10% FBI type tests for rimfire ammo. Just not enough demand for that sort of thing to be economically viable. Clear gel can give you some idea of what the bullets will do, but its not as good (or as repeatable) as real 10% jello.

Tannhauser
07-09-2023, 09:21 AM
Try CCI 40GR SOLIDS. I got the best results with those and Aguilia ammo.

That’s exactly the load I used. CCI Mini Mag 40gr. I’ve put hundreds through the pistol with no issues using the stock mag.

I’ll give everything a good cleaning and try again. Just curious if this was a known issue.

PTSDog
07-10-2023, 06:49 AM
That’s exactly the load I used. CCI Mini Mag 40gr. I’ve put hundreds through the pistol with no issues using the stock mag.

I’ll give everything a good cleaning and try again. Just curious if this was a known issue.

Weird. In my two, they ran great with that mag. In fact, was going to order three more extensions if I kept them. But, now I think about it, both of my Lite Racks had GP triggers and springs. So might have helped or been an improvement over close springs and extended mag setup. I didn’t test them both ways.

Also, I had ordered three bricks each of the 40gr Target and 36gr Mini Mags from CCI last year and ALL six of them gave me fits. The poorest quality 22lr ammo I have shot since the 2008 shortage. Gave me malfunctions in my G44, TX22, Compact TX22, earlier owned Lite Rack, MKIV, SW Compact, and SW Victory. Only thing that those would run in was my M&P AR15-22 and 10/22. When I finally got rid of them, I switched to Aguila SEs for my range ammo.

BN
03-18-2024, 07:37 PM
Mine has trouble with Fed Punch. I shot 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mag with no problems the other day. I'll probably try CCI Velocitor to see if it works.

I had to install a Galloway spring kit to get reliable ignition with anything.

It's still an experiment for me for now. I doubt it will replace my 43c anytime soon.

I keep shooting my LCP II 22. I now have 900 rounds of Mini Mags through it with only 3 or 4 light hits. That's almost good enough for carry. This pistol is crazy accurate and easy to shoot.

I saw on another forum the other day that I could get a steel firing pin on EBay to replace the factory titanium one. $25. I ordered one and installed it today. The new pin gives a much more positive strike and better placed on the rim. The factory strike was almost off the edge of the rim. I'll let you decide which brass has the old and new pin installed.

spyderco monkey
03-20-2024, 12:14 AM
Most will get you at least 12" of penetration, if they don't expand. If you are worried about it, just use a RN or solid bullet, not a hollow point. Treat it like .32 ACP or .380: "ball" ammo only. Don't overthink it.

Unfortunately, not many places are going to go to the trouble of full on 10% FBI type tests for rimfire ammo. Just not enough demand for that sort of thing to be economically viable. Clear gel can give you some idea of what the bullets will do, but its not as good (or as repeatable) as real 10% jello.

I wish CCI would make a polymer coated Hardcast .22lr for defense.

OSS / CIA / SOG used a special lot of FMJ .22lr that likewise would probably be better for both bone penetration and feeding reliability.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/what-ammo-was-used-in-22-high-standard-oss-pistol/24420/7

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/business6/uploads/cartridgecollectors/original/2X/6/6e1f65bc26f5da8ddeaf9f72c89220296ce650e0.jpg

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/business6/uploads/cartridgecollectors/original/2X/0/0393d263dcd4f34741ccaa308e025cc81eebffb3.jpg