PDA

View Full Version : Defense contractors paid off Taliban?

peterb
12-29-2019, 02:59 PM
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/28/792065458/gold-star-families-sue-defense-contractors-alleging-they-funded-the-taliban

“More than 100 Gold Star families are suing several major defense contractors, alleging they made illegal "protection payments" to the Taliban — thereby funding the Taliban's insurgency efforts that killed or wounded thousands of Americans in Afghanistan.

It's illegal under the federal Anti-Terrorism Act to provide material support to the Taliban. The U.S. has warned defense contractors that protection payments are against the law, but according to the lawsuit, the practice has proliferated because defense contractors feel it's a cost of doing business.”

——————-

I’d be interested in any insights from folks who worked in that region.

TCinVA
12-29-2019, 03:45 PM
The United States government has bribed a lot of very bad people over the years, too. I'm not sure how far they will get pulling at that thread.

Wake27
12-29-2019, 04:00 PM
Enemies and allies change often and quickly nowadays. I’m sure some of it was immoral just as I’m sure some of it was a necessary evil with no better options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GardoneVT
12-29-2019, 04:20 PM
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/28/792065458/gold-star-families-sue-defense-contractors-alleging-they-funded-the-taliban

“More than 100 Gold Star families are suing several major defense contractors, alleging they made illegal "protection payments" to the Taliban — thereby funding the Taliban's insurgency efforts that killed or wounded thousands of Americans in Afghanistan.

It's illegal under the federal Anti-Terrorism Act to provide material support to the Taliban. The U.S. has warned defense contractors that protection payments are against the law, but according to the lawsuit, the practice has proliferated because defense contractors feel it's a cost of doing business.”

——————-

I’d be interested in any insights from folks who worked in that region.

For contractors , security is a no-win scenario. Rely on DoD for security and you’ll be on CNN the second a civilian breaks a nail- or you’ll be investigated years after the fact for breaking a UN regulation for broken nails in combat zones . Hire private security and you’ll be vilified for that too . That leaves bribing the locals - also a recipe for trouble.

Option 4 is to decisively win, but winning wars quick isn’t trendy.A 10+ year drip feed conflict props up alphabet soup agencies ,careers, and budgets.

FNFAN
12-29-2019, 04:41 PM
Option 4 is to decisively win, but winning wars quick isn’t trendy. A 10+ year drip feed conflict props up alphabet soup agencies ,careers, and budgets.

This is my sons take on things with a mix of ground and flight over 18 years.

HCM
12-29-2019, 08:35 PM
The United States government has bribed a lot of very bad people over the years, too. I'm not sure how far they will get pulling at that thread.

You might try an argument like that in a foreign corrupt practices act case but paying the Taliban is material support to a designated foreign terrorist group. If this is true at a minimum all of these companies will lose their contracts and be barred from further government work. That’s before the civil and criminal court cases even start.

Then there is this:

In addition to making protection payments, one company — the telecommunications firm MTN Group — has been accused of deactivating its cellular towers at night at the request of the Taliban, which believed U.S. forces were using the cellular networks to track insurgents.

Odin Bravo One
12-29-2019, 09:54 PM
Yawn.

That’s the big breaking news?

Wake me when something noteworthy happens, like another celebrity cuts his dick off for media attention.

Poconnor
12-31-2019, 11:21 PM
I remember seeing a lot of cash being thrown at at the local “American” sheik in Iraq. The guy reminded me of a midget Tony soprano. He even wore a track suit one of times when became to our JSS to get is money.