PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 5.7x28 Pistol?

farscott
12-29-2019, 09:28 AM
Recoil had a tweet about this with the image https://imgur.com/a/PhfyPil, but the interesting thing to me is Ruger has received a trademark for "Ruger-57" per https://trademark.trademarkia.com/ruger57-88654610.html

5pins
12-29-2019, 11:07 AM
I can't imagen a huge market for another 5.7 pistol.

Caballoflaco
12-29-2019, 11:13 AM
I can't imagen a huge market for another 5.7 pistol.

If they can sell it for half the price of the FN it will make money. Not to be a dick, but I think the market for that caliber is the same as the low information/ lower expendable income Taurus judge market.

JodyH
12-29-2019, 11:31 AM
I love my "centerfire .22mag" 5.7s.

The pistol makes for a great "backpack survival gun", high capacity (20+1), lightweight, accurate, reliable, durable, won't destroy small game but can still be pressed into self defense duty against light skinned predators.
A 20+1 loaded pistol and 100 rounds of spare ammo weighs less and takes up less pack space than a Glock 17 and 50 rounds of 9mm.
I hope that Ruger sells a million of them so the ammo prices will drop and options will expand.

The P90 is probably the most user friendly home defense carbine ever made.
In 5 minutes I can have everyone from a 10 year old girl to an arthritic Grandma smoking a plate rack or hosing down targets with pie plate sized groups and smiling the whole time.
Red dot sight with 5+ year battery life and 50 round magazines means the only "manipulations" I have to teach them are dot on target, rotate the safety off, press the trigger until the bad guy goes away.

Alpha Sierra
12-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Oddball cartridge + striker fired with manual safety = hard pass

GardoneVT
12-29-2019, 11:46 AM
I love my "centerfire .22mag" 5.7s.

The pistol makes for a great "backpack survival gun".....won't destroy small game but can still be pressed into self defense duty against light skinned predators.

From the data I’ve seen, the 5.7 x 28mm in commercially available civilian loadings is ineffective for self defense. Considering the cartridge (and its HK equivalent) were designed for military use during the Cold War this is no surprise.

Screwball
12-29-2019, 11:52 AM
If it jump starts the 5.7mm ammo market, I’d consider it... and of course, price being right.

I did like the FN, but for the price of the gun and ammo, it wasn’t worth it. Nor did I want to go KelTec and .22 Magnum.

If Ruger did the same gun in .22 Magnum, I’d say you might see more interest.

JodyH
12-29-2019, 11:56 AM
From the data I’ve seen, the 5.7 x 28mm in commercially available civilian loadings is ineffective for self defense. Considering the cartridge (and its HK equivalent) were designed for military use during the Cold War this is no surprise.
Fort Hood... 13 killed, 30 injured by the absolute worst ammo option (blue tip). Perpetrator survived after getting shot with a 9mm.

Is it my first or even my fifth or sixth choice as a self defense primary? No.
It is the best .22 mag made, and does everything a .22 mag can do but better and with centerfire reliability.

ECVMatt
12-29-2019, 12:15 PM
For bumming around in the desert, this seems like a pretty neat option. I have shot a friend's FN and it a very flat shooting and fun. I have always wanted one, but would never cough up a grand for one. If the Ruger comes in substantially less, then I might consider it. They might even pair it with a 5.7 version of the PC Carbine....using the same mags of course.

Borderland
12-29-2019, 12:22 PM
Ruger will try anything once. Got to keep the competition on their toes. ;)

Reloadable 22 cartridge? Now let me think about that for a few minutes.

Totem Polar
12-29-2019, 12:48 PM
... a 5.7 version of the PC Carbine....using the same mags of course.

I like the cut of your jib.

olstyn
12-29-2019, 01:24 PM
Reloadable 22 cartridge? Now let me think about that for a few minutes.

Apparently 5.7x28 is kind of a pain in the ass to reload: http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3297

Hambo
12-29-2019, 01:26 PM
They could have done a Single 8 in .22 CCM, but noooooooo. #RugerFacepalm (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=RugerFacepalm)

TGS
12-29-2019, 01:38 PM
In 5 minutes I can have everyone from a 10 year old girl to an arthritic Grandma smoking a plate rack or hosing down targets with pie plate sized groups and smiling the whole time.

I must say, I found the trigger on the P90 and F2000 to be obnoxious. As in, it took an entire day for the carpal-tunnel like symptoms to go away level of obnoxious.

Considering the cartridge (and its HK equivalent) were designed for military use during the Cold War this is no surprise.

Yup, especially considering the cartridge was designed specifically to punch holes in armor so that you could at least do something against armored opponents in the days prior to reliable 5.56 SBRs, when the other option in the same size would be a 9mm SMG that a hearty Russian laughs at when it bounces off his armor.

Nothing about the 5.7x28 development envisioned shooting soft targets. Try tried marketing it outside that niche purely to recoup R&D costs when the cold war ended and all the very interested customers suddenly didn't care anymore.

Fort Hood... 13 killed, 30 injured by the absolute worst ammo option (blue tip). Perpetrator survived after getting shot with a 9mm.

I think this is a weak train of thought to hop on given the overwhelmingly poor performance in police shootings where we aren't executing unarmed targets. 32ACP worked great at executing people too, but I don't think it's reasonable to hold that up as a self defense bona fides.

JodyH
12-29-2019, 02:10 PM
I think this is a weak train of thought to hop on given the overwhelmingly poor performance in police shootings where we aren't executing unarmed targets. 32ACP worked great at executing people too, but I don't think it's reasonable to hold that up as a self defense bona fides.
First armed responder was put out of the fight with a shattered femur.
Second armed responder put Hassan down with five 9mm hits (while Hassan was reloading).
Everybody that was armed survived.

JodyH
12-29-2019, 02:12 PM
BTW: not all calibers have to be judged strictly through the prism of their suitability for self defense...

Nightvisionary
12-29-2019, 02:26 PM
Take my money. If it comes in sub $550 street price I will be all over it. Many of us have been waiting years for another company to enter the market with a competitively priced 5.7 pistol. I chuckle at the people who scoff and criticize every new product to hit the market. These are the same people that said nobody needs or wants the Glock 19X, Glock 42, S&W M&P EZ 380, and the Mossberg Shockwave.:p

GardoneVT
12-29-2019, 02:45 PM
First armed responder was put out of the fight with a shattered femur.
Second armed responder put Hassan down with five 9mm hits (while Hassan was reloading).
Everybody that was armed survived.

Don’t leave out the 5,000 odd rounds of practice Hassan shot before his attack. I’ll wager that’s a higher round count then the responding LEOs shot on the company dime in the previous year or two. All this case proves is a prepared attacker can execute a successful ambush.

From the standpoint of civilian self defense a 5.7 x 28mm round is not an optimal selection.

awp_101
12-29-2019, 03:18 PM
It's interesting to me as a reloadable .22. If they end up being viable I could see paring it with an AR57 upper for funsies and giggles.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-29-2019, 03:22 PM
Glock 57, need I say more. Guy used to shoot a P90 civilian version at matches. Looked like fun.

TheNewbie
12-29-2019, 05:33 PM
The safety looks rather useable and well done.

Why doesn’t Ruger do this on their Security 9 series?

Tokarev
12-29-2019, 06:23 PM
Apparently 5.7x28 is kind of a pain in the ass to reload: http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3297Not really. It takes the same general steps.

With that said, there is a coating on the brass that's apparently there for reliability when 50 rounds are crammed in a P90 mag. The coating comes off in a tumbler but it probably won't matter with something like the Ruger.

The brass is pretty delicate and it is easy to crush when crimping. But it doesn't take long to get a proper feel for the process.

Here's some info:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://loaddata.com/articles/pdf/ld-17%2520pearce%2520lr1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwil-Mn4_9vmAhVGJTQIHZIiDWMQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3PY5y_qQpLf9zrvUaREcNL

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

olstyn
12-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Not really. It takes the same general steps.

With that said, there is a coating on the brass that's apparently there for reliability when 50 rounds are crammed in a P90 mag. The coating comes off in a tumbler but it probably won't matter with something like the Ruger.

The brass is pretty delicate and it is easy to crush when crimping. But it doesn't take long to get a proper feel for the process.

Here's some info:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://loaddata.com/articles/pdf/ld-17%2520pearce%2520lr1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwil-Mn4_9vmAhVGJTQIHZIiDWMQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3PY5y_qQpLf9zrvUaREcNL

Still seems too twitchy for my taste, especially given the short life of cases relative to other cartridges. That said, one question that comes to mind is whether the Ruger will be blowback like the FN guns or locked breech.

Tokarev
12-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Still seems too twitchy for my taste, especially given the short life of cases relative to other cartridges. That said, one question that comes to mind is whether the Ruger will be blowback like the FN guns or locked breech.A prime candidate for reloading it ain't.

Not much published data. Relatively poor selection of suitable bullets. Brass is kind of expensive too.

Will another 5.7 pistol change any of this?

Trukinjp13
12-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Haters gonna hate.

I dig it, and more options will create better ammo options. Buffalo boar 5.7???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olstyn
12-29-2019, 08:17 PM
A prime candidate for reloading it ain't.

Not much published data. Relatively poor selection of suitable bullets. Brass is kind of expensive too.

Will another 5.7 pistol change any of this?

In theory, higher caliber popularity = cheaper brass, and maybe better selection of bullets, but otherwise, not so much. I'm definitely not the target market regardless - I mostly just wanted to make sure those who expressed interest in it in this thread as a "reloadable .22" were aware of the issues with that idea.

TicTacticalTimmy
12-29-2019, 08:29 PM
Much like the S&W EZ .380 I dont see this as any type of Glock killa or optimized self defense solution for the kind of folks that visit this forum.

However, much like the aforementioned S&W, this could be a great solution for a recoil sensitive shooter. 20 round mag, low recoil, affordable enough for the non-enthusiast, centerfire reliability. all of this beats both a 22lr of any kind and a 9mm that never actually gets practiced with.

At $.40+/rd it isnt cheap, but not crazy expensive either. Add a PS90 and you have a well rounded defensive solution for the recoil shy or physically weak non-enthusiast that wants to defend themselves. If they are a poor replace the PS90 with an SR22 for cheap practice and one of the upcoming Ruger 5.7 carbines.

By the way, if you guys havent shot a 5.7 or PS90 before I highly suggest you try one out, especially the PS90. Lots of fun, just incredibly ergonomic and easy to hit stuff with at the ranges it is optimized for.

ECVMatt
12-29-2019, 08:51 PM
After reading this thread and others like it, I am left wondering if anyone still shoots for fun? I mean, just take the truck out to the desert (or where ever you shoot) and have fun? Think this gun, if it comes to be, would be fun to shoot. I might not take it to war, but I would definitely take it to the desert to shoot jackrabbits or up to the mountains to shoot ground squirrels or have an informal shoot off with my buddies. Just wondering.....

Jim Watson
12-29-2019, 09:17 PM
Weak market.
Manufacturers are frantically searching for something to sell. So Ruger picks up a foreign kickshsw. And Colt starts making double action revolvers again. Even on Rodeo Drive, Nighthawk is importing expensive revolvers because fancy 1911s are not enough and dressing up Colt autos because FN killed their dresser Browning line.

olstyn
12-29-2019, 09:55 PM
After reading this thread and others like it, I am left wondering if anyone still shoots for fun?

Apologies - I can't speak for everyone else who was a bit negative, but I didn't really mean to be a downer. If you've got the budget for $0.40+/round for fun and/or the patience for reloading frustrating cartridges for fun, then by all means, have at it - it's 100% valid. :)

I personally don't have the budget for that, so I don't tend to think along those lines.

JRB
12-30-2019, 02:15 AM
Being a self-admitted space gun enthusiast, I immediately loved the P90 and F2000's when they debuted. Same for the 5-7 pistol.

But it was a case of it being best to NOT meet your heroes - the P90 is fun as hell in full auto, but few SMG's with big magazines and no recoil AREN'T fun. As JodyH said, it's very easy to shoot and train someone to shoot it, but it's largely underwhelming in semiauto and the trigger is weird. Same for the FS2000. I'm not entirely certain that the price increase in weapon, ammo, and setup for a PS90 is worth it vs a Ruger PCC with Glock magazines full of Gold Dots for someone with compromised strength and recoil sensitivity.

The 5-7 I really wanted to love, and they're also fun to shoot, but my run of the 'cost of gun + cost of ammo + is it really that fun + what else can I use it for' math doesn't add up to me wanting to own one. The safety is super weird to get used to, too.

If I ever have the pleasure of bumping around the wilderness in Coyote and Rabbit territory again, I get the feeling I'd be a lot happier with a single-action, K-frame, or N-frame on my hip instead of a 5.7. Though I can see the appeal of 5.7 for such a role from a strictly utilitarian perspective.

Joe in PNG
12-30-2019, 02:18 AM
Hard pass- as in I'd have a hard time passing on it.

Polecat
12-30-2019, 02:43 AM
Looks like the HK P46 4.6 prototype.

TGS
12-30-2019, 07:42 AM
After reading this thread and others like it, I am left wondering if anyone still shoots for fun? I mean, just take the truck out to the desert (or where ever you shoot) and have fun?

Yes. Mainly revolvers and rifles for when the purpose is fun, though.

Hambo
12-30-2019, 08:24 AM
After reading this thread and others like it, I am left wondering if anyone still shoots for fun? I mean, just take the truck out to the desert (or where ever you shoot) and have fun? Think this gun, if it comes to be, would be fun to shoot. I might not take it to war, but I would definitely take it to the desert to shoot jackrabbits or up to the mountains to shoot ground squirrels or have an informal shoot off with my buddies. Just wondering.....

No, I have Contender barrels from .17 Mach IV to .357 Herrett because I need them for "serious" work. :rolleyes: ;)

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 01:40 PM
A Gold Dot load in the works?

http://kygunco.com/Blogs/

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 02:49 PM
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/speer-gold-dot-57-x-28mm-ammo-40-grain-jhp-25728gd-p-110196.aspx

ECVMatt
12-30-2019, 06:00 PM
I will admit that I am into strange rifles and cartridges, one of my favorite being the .256 Winchester. With all of this talk of mainstreaming the 5.7, I would like to see a Ruger M77/57. It has a close COL with the .357, so the existing platform should work. It would be a fun varminting rifle that would hold 7 or 8 rounds in a Ruger rotary magazine. Wow I have really gone down the rabbit hole on this one, sorry guys; back to handguns!

Tokarev
12-30-2019, 06:26 PM
I will admit that I am into strange rifles and cartridges, one of my favorite being the .256 Winchester. With all of this talk of mainstreaming the 5.7, I would like to see a Ruger M77/57. It has a close COL with the .357, so the existing platform should work. It would be a fun varminting rifle that would hold 7 or 8 rounds in a Ruger rotary magazine. Wow I have really gone down the rabbit hole on this one, sorry guys; back to handguns!A takedown 10/22 in 5.7 might be nifty.

Not the PCC. That gun is too heavy. But then again lightening up the bolt to cycle the little 5.7 might be enough to shave a pound off that gun.

RAM Engineer
12-31-2019, 06:02 PM
Slide top window. 🙄

HCM
12-31-2019, 08:26 PM
A takedown 10/22 in 5.7 might be nifty.

Not the PCC. That gun is too heavy. But then again lightening up the bolt to cycle the little 5.7 might be enough to shave a pound off that gun.

Given the caliber is completely useless for anything but shooting rodents and small game why not just skip all the b******t and make a 10 shot or higher capacity Ruger single action revolver in 5.7 and be done with it.

Tokarev
12-31-2019, 08:42 PM
Given the caliber is completely useless for anything but shooting rodents and small game why not just skip all the b******t and make a 10 shot or higher capacity Ruger single action revolver in 5.7 and be done with it.Or a bolt action carbine of some kind would also be acceptable.

With a locked breech the 5.7 could probably be hot rodded pretty nicely.

Rick R
12-31-2019, 08:45 PM
Remember when the 9mm was considered to be too anemic for serious defense or LE use? But modern bullets have allegedly improved it to the point that darn near everyone (including me) has one in their holster.

It might be interesting to just sit here quietly holding my own beer while we see how the Speer Gold Dot or other yet to be announced bonded/enhanced/magic fairy dust loadings perform as the round matures.

Tokarev
12-31-2019, 09:06 PM
Remember when the 9mm was considered to be too anemic for serious defense or LE use? But modern bullets have allegedly improved it to the point that darn near everyone (including me) has one in their holster.

It might be interesting to just sit here quietly holding my own beer while we see how the Speer Gold Dot or other yet to be announced bonded/enhanced/magic fairy dust loadings perform as the round matures.

The Gold Dot looks interesting. Leaked photos online appear to show a hollow point that looks like it was pulled from a 22 Mag. Maybe that's a hoaxed photo.

A company called Elite Ammo makes a 45gr solid copper HP. Earlier loads appeared to use a Barnes bullet but the current load appears to use a Maker bullet? something like that might have some practical value. What's the minimum expansion velocity for such a bullet?

zaitcev
12-31-2019, 09:35 PM
After reading this thread and others like it, I am left wondering if anyone still shoots for fun? I mean, just take the truck out to the desert (or where ever you shoot) and have fun? Think this gun, if it comes to be, would be fun to shoot.
An astute observation. What Ruger is making here is their own equivalent of KelTec PMR30. Nobody asked for either of these guns. They are large, low recoiling, have a great magazine capacity, and use an oddball, small caliber cartridge. Both produce an impressive fireball. All these characteristics are right up the alley of a recreational shooter. No doubt, users of Ruger-57 will press it into other applications: competition, home defense, and hunting, just as they did with PMR30.

Tokarev
12-31-2019, 09:47 PM
An astute observation. What Ruger is making here is their own equivalent of KelTec PMR30. Nobody asked for either of these guns. They are large, low recoiling, have a great magazine capacity, and use an oddball, small caliber cartridge. Both produce an impressive fireball. All these characteristics are right up the alley of a recreational shooter. No doubt, users of Ruger-57 will press it into other applications: competition, home defense, and hunting, just as they did with PMR30.

Except the KelTec and the ammo it shoots is quite a bit less expensive than the -57 and the 5.7 cartridge.

If Ruger really wanted to make a gun to compete with the KelTec they would have done just that. Maybe that's what this project started as but it didn't end that way.

Internet rumor has it that one of FN's sales guys now works for Ruger. If that's true he was probably one of the vocal advocates behind this new gun.

CCT125US
12-31-2019, 10:31 PM

Yes, absolutely. The confusion may lie in how fun is defined. In my case, and I suspect others here as well, fun is defined as the constant grind of getting better, refining fundamentals, and becoming more accurate in a shorter time frame.

As far as turning loaded rounds into empties, just for funsies, nothing wrong with that at all.

HCM
12-31-2019, 11:30 PM

Sure, but why plink with a 5.7, an expensive round that duplicates the performance of cheaper 22 mag ?

The P90 is a fun gun to shoot but 5.7 is more expensive than 9mm.

JodyH
12-31-2019, 11:31 PM
Compared to my Serbu Super-Shorty a 5.7 pistol is the very definition of practicality.

btw: if you've never taken a Super-Shorty, a case of #8, a case of clays and thrower to the range you don't know what fun is.
Extra fun if it's dusk and you try to track the clays by the muzzle blasts.
You can pretend your a WW2 Brit AA gunner fending off the Nazi blitz bombers.

Nightvisionary
01-01-2020, 05:19 PM
TFB 5.7 Speer Gold Dot

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/01/speer-gold-dot-5-7x28mm-ammunition/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Speer-Gold-Dot-5.7x28mm.png

Nightvisionary
01-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Sure, but why plink with a 5.7, an expensive round that duplicates the performance of cheaper 22 mag ?

The P90 is a fun gun to shoot but 5.7 is more expensive than 9mm.

You are comparing 22 Magnum Rifle Ballistics with 5.7 Pistol ballistics.

My KelTec PMR 30 Pistol in 22 Magnum gives velocities equivalent to 22 LR fired from a Rifle. An cheap FN 5.7 it is not.

JTMcC
01-01-2020, 07:11 PM
As a lifetime "heavy for caliber" type guy, it isn't my thing but I'm also a "my parents are getting old" type guy.
My Mom is in her 80's and a lot of guns she could use/handle in her 70's are a no go.
I see large capacity, low recoil, easy to use handguns in that light now. Much better than no gun.
Good for Ruger and I hope they sell big time.

JodyH
01-01-2020, 07:23 PM
If that Gold Dot is reliable in a P90 my "family carbine" will get stoked with 50 of them.
I keep a P90 topped with a Trijicon SRO accessible to my wife and 17 year old son as their "go to" HD firearm.
While both of them are better than average shooters with pistols and AR's neither of them are really enthusiasts.
They can both run the P90 like a boss, even after not handling it for months.
Myself, I'll probably reach past the P90 and go straight for a M4 (of either the Benelli 12ga or FN 5.56 variety) but that damn little P90 is the shit for handing off to a "part timer".

C'mon Ruger, sell a million of these things!
I like where this is going as far as reviving ammo manufacturers interest in developing 5.7 loads for the civilian market.

HCM
01-01-2020, 08:34 PM
If they want to make this thing viable they need and optics ready version. It would give them something the FN 57 doesn’t have

JodyH
01-01-2020, 08:59 PM
If they want to make this thing viable they need and optics ready version. It would give them something the FN 57 doesn’t have
^^This^^
A well designed RMR slide cut on a 5.7 handgun would be the shiznit for long range small critter shooting.

Alembic
01-02-2020, 08:14 AM
Based on the trend,

if, 30-06/308 = .45/.40

and, 7.62x39 = 9mm

does .556 = 5.7 ?

just a thought.

Nightvisionary
01-02-2020, 04:47 PM
Based on the trend,

if, 30-06/308 = .45/.40

and, 7.62x39 = 9mm