PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Still Manufacturing Gen 1 M&P Shield 9mm?

Nightvisionary
12-29-2019, 04:04 AM
I picked up a used near new Shield today at the LGS. I already have an M2.0 so I wasn't looking for another but at $199 out the door with original box, spare mag and accessories I can always use another quality 9mm to stage around the house. When I looked at the box it had an 06/10/19 manufacture date. I thought there would be more of a difference between the triggers but the M2.0 may be just slightly better. It's so imperceptible I almost can't detect a difference. The only significant difference is the grip texture. The 1.0 grip is somewhat smooth so I added grip tape. My M2.0 has a 2017 date so Im surprised they are still producing both models.

sickeness
12-29-2019, 06:59 AM
The 1.0 is on the approved for sale list in CA and is MA compliant too I think. They sell a metric ton of them in CA as it is the only single stack 9mm CCW pistol available to the general public other than the shitty Kahr PM9. That alone is a reason for them to keep making them.

358156hp
12-31-2019, 08:01 PM
I have a first gen M&P 9mm Compact with a date code of 030219, so your Shields date code doesn't surprise me at all.

CalAlumnus
12-31-2019, 09:03 PM
The 1.0 is on the approved for sale list in CA and is MA compliant too I think. They sell a metric ton of them in CA as it is the only single stack 9mm CCW pistol available to the general public other than the shitty Kahr PM9. That alone is a reason for them to keep making them.

Agreed, though there's a CA-specific model (with magazine disconnect safety, manual safety, and loaded chamber indicator). Just speculating, but it wouldn't shock me if at some point the CA variant becomes the only 1.0 remaining, since it's the only one that can be sold in California anyway.

Nightvisionary
01-02-2020, 04:56 PM
Agreed, though there's a CA-specific model (with magazine disconnect safety, manual safety, and loaded chamber indicator). Just speculating, but it wouldn't shock me if at some point the CA variant becomes the only 1.0 remaining, since it's the only one that can be sold in California anyway.

Mine does not appear to be California compliant as it has no magazine disconnect.