PDA

View Full Version : Which Hipster Gun would you buy? Beretta APX Target or Steyr L9 A2 MF?

arcfide
12-28-2019, 05:22 AM
Which of these would you pick up if you were going to pick one?

Zman001
12-28-2019, 05:40 AM
My vote is for the APX. I absolutely despise firearns with internal lock systems. Beyond often being poorly designed, they are nothing more than scars from an ugly past that have no business being on a firearm

Vandal320
12-28-2019, 05:47 AM
The APX.

revchuck38
12-28-2019, 06:04 AM
I'd go with the APX. I had an early Steyr M40 and liked it, but the grip angle was too different from standard. There's probably better holster support for the Beretta as well.

olstyn
12-28-2019, 07:00 AM
The Steyr has a way higher "weirdo" factor, and therefore if the goal is to buy a "hipster" gun, then between those two, with me having no real knowledge of either, it's the clear winner. :)

UNM1136
12-28-2019, 07:21 AM
You left out "huh?"'who?", "what?"

pat

JRB
12-28-2019, 07:26 AM
APX makes the most sense if you actually need to carry it or potentially use it as a defensive/competition/etc gun. Not sure I'd pick either of these pistols for that role, but if I had to grab one for it, it'd be the APX.

The Steyr is damn appealing from a 'space gun' sort of perspective. I love space guns for no damn good reason, so if this was a 'because I want it' gun that won't ever be used seriously, I'd get the Steyr.

psalms144.1
12-28-2019, 09:41 AM
I've had a long term love-hate relationship with Steyrs, both pistols and rifles, so, given those choices, I'd definitely for the the Steyr. Plus, it has MF in the name, so, how could you go wrong?

farscott
12-28-2019, 09:51 AM
While neither appeals to me as a firearm, I would opt for the Beretta as a means to support a company that truly supports American gun rights. The move from Accokeek to Gallatin was expensive in terms of money, time, training, and lost production, and showed Beretta literally put its money where its mouth is.

Greg
12-28-2019, 10:15 AM
I'd buy more ammo instead.

PS - You forgot the "Mods here are shit" option.

Cypher
12-28-2019, 10:17 AM
CZ75B

If I really wanted to be hipster in .40 S&W

Doc_Glock
12-28-2019, 11:32 AM
Steyr all the way.

call_me_ski
12-28-2019, 01:00 PM
I’d go with the Steyr. I had an M9-A1 that I regret selling. I will buy an A2 MF next year.

Alpha Sierra
12-28-2019, 01:10 PM
CZ75B

If I really wanted to be hipster in .40 S&W

CZ 75 a hipster gun? Maybe ten years ago..........

Alpha Sierra
12-28-2019, 01:13 PM
APX Target.

Last month I got a P-10F OR as a possible gateway to Carry Optics, and 1K rounds into it I'm still not sure I like it.

I had no idea Beretta had a striker fired, optics ready pistol ready to go. Might have to look into that.

pangloss
12-28-2019, 01:21 PM
I have an APX Centurion. It only has 350 rounds through it, but so far I've not had any problems with it. Most of the posts I've read about the APX pistols say that they are solid pistols. Reports on the Steyrs are hit and miss, but if your decision is based solely on the hipster factor, then I'd probably pick a Steyr MF. The Steyr Forum is a pretty quiet place, but you might want to read some posts there before you make up your mind.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
12-28-2019, 01:23 PM
APX, all day.

Arbninftry
12-28-2019, 01:35 PM
If you want to be a hipster, why rule out the Maxim 9.....

https://silencerco.com/maxim-9

That's some real HIPSTER sheet right there:cool:

Rex G
12-28-2019, 02:04 PM
I still cannot wrap my brain around what “hipster” means, exactly. As I understand hipster clothing styles, there is no room for one’s external reproductive organs, much less for an AIWB’ed or IWB’ed pistol. Does a hipster carry the pistol the pistol in the purse, er, bag? Is the true main question, “Which gun is best to carry inside a messenger-style bag?”

At the most basic level, I will take a Beretta APX, any day. If I had to start over, from scratch, with no auto-pistols, no magazines, no holsters, from absolute zero, I would probably opt for the Beretta APX system.

Jared
12-28-2019, 02:12 PM
I had an APX full size not long after they came out. I kinda let it go because at the time the sight options weren’t great. I’m tempted to try one again. Mine breezed through the 2000 round challenge with no issues at all. It was a very fun pistol to shoot timed drills with. Ergos were very good for me as well.

LockedBreech
12-28-2019, 03:03 PM
I had an APX full size not long after they came out. I kinda let it go because at the time the sight options weren’t great. I’m tempted to try one again. Mine breezed through the 2000 round challenge with no issues at all. It was a very fun pistol to shoot timed drills with. Ergos were very good for me as well.

While I agree the sight and holster options are limited presently, I think in the current $300-350 range there’s probably nothing that touches it in the reliability/quality department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared
12-28-2019, 03:32 PM
While I agree the sight and holster options are limited presently, I think in the current $300-350 range there’s probably nothing that touches it in the reliability/quality department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that you can get Ameriglo Spartans from the BUSA website for the APX, I don’t have much of a complaint about sights anymore. JMCK has holsters. In its current price range, if it ain’t the king, it should at least be the crown prince. I am kind of concerned about it’s future since it’s now in the discount bin, but S&W has kept the Sigma models around in the discount bin for a looooong time now, so maybe the APX will live a long life

arcfide
12-28-2019, 03:38 PM
I still cannot wrap my brain around what “hipster” means, exactly. As I understand hipster clothing styles, there is no room for one’s external reproductive organs, much less for an AIWB’ed or IWB’ed pistol. Does a hipster carry the pistol the pistol in the purse, er, bag? Is the true main question, “Which gun is best to carry inside a messenger-style bag?”

At the most basic level, I will take a Beretta APX, any day. If I had to start over, from scratch, with no auto-pistols, no magazines, no holsters, from absolute zero, I would probably opt for the Beretta APX system.

LOL

For the purposes of this poll, it's to highlight the fact that this choice isn't based on "I need serious aftermarket support and all the logistical support from established brands" kind of thing. In short, I'm picking out two options of intentionally quirky SFA, polymer pistols that are in an affordable price range that exhibit "non-mainstream" characteristics that I find innately appealing from a design, engineering, and shooting perspective.

To put some context on this, I sold a 686 because I liked my Chiappa Rhino better, I currently have an APX set up for daily carry that works well for me. I got a Px4 as my first polymer handgun after testing a bunch of them, long before Langdon did his magic or testing on them.

I'm in a funny position because of Christmas of being able to purchase a handgun in this price range but not more ammo. So, I figured, why not pick up one of the fun guns that I've been wondering about and think would be fun to shoot. The APX Target is a chance for me to try out the grip frame, long slide, and green striker kit all in a nice configuration as well as get "spare parts" for my existing APX, and it would work for carry in a pinch. It also gives me a chance to play with optics on a handgun if I want.

However, the Steyr is something I've always thought was interesting, and I lean heavily towards guns with extreme grip angles (I really like the extreme grip angle on the Rhino). However, the lack of texturing on the previous Steyrs vs the APX held me back. Now that they have those uber-hipster Trapezoidal sights combined with improved texturing all the way up the side of the gun, I'm really interested in picking on up to try.

So that's where I'm standing, and I kind of want both. The APX would be a bit more "in line" with what I already have, but the Steyr would let me play around with feeling a different platform than what I've shot for a long time, and the hipster factor (= fun factor for me) is very high, so there's that. In short, I know that I will like the APX, but I kind of want to branch into new territory just for the experience.

Navyguns
12-28-2019, 08:39 PM
Quite honestly the ultimate hipster gun starts with a C and ends with a Z.

Some say, that CZ owners smell like garlic hummus and that they have weekly mixers where they read Emily Dickinson poetry and drink microbrew IPA. All we know them as is the CZ hipster mafia.

orionz06
12-28-2019, 08:54 PM

Nobody does, they just use it whenever they wanna describe someone younger than them that does something they don't like.

GardoneVT
12-28-2019, 08:56 PM

Some say, that CZ owners smell like garlic hummus and that they have weekly mixers where they read Emily Dickinson poetry and drink microbrew IPA. All we know them as is the CZ hipster mafia.

My Star Megastar .45 would like a word with you.

farscott
12-28-2019, 09:11 PM

I will raise the CZ with the Grand Power K100 MK 12 models. Those combine a rotary action, a steel sub-frame inside the polymer frame, an amazing DA/SA trigger, and the ability to run the pistol "cocked-and-locked".

Squib308
12-28-2019, 09:55 PM
owned an APX and Steyr M9
still have the APX
Steyr was sold
has some redeeming qualities but just too weird and near zero industry support
the lack of striker block on the steyr also weirded me out

FNFAN
12-28-2019, 10:04 PM
The Steyr has a way higher "weirdo" factor, and therefore if the goal is to buy a "hipster" gun, then between those two, with me having no real knowledge of either, it's the clear winner. :)

If I were a hipster, I'd rock a pair of Steyr GB's :cool:

Clusterfrack
12-28-2019, 10:10 PM

Garlic hummus: NO!
Who is/was Emily Dickinson?
Microbrew IPA: fuckyeah!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191229/5dfaefe7e6ca0ad6caec03659d7e1146.jpg

Alpha Sierra
12-28-2019, 10:25 PM

My weekly CZ hipster mixers involve no poetry, just ammo; and the IPA comes after the shooting............

JAD
12-28-2019, 10:31 PM

Exactly this. No gun that is currently produced qualifies as a hipster gun. My token hipster gun is the pretty pedestrian P7. P5 and P9 are both mo’ HG. HK4 would get it done. VP70 is the only polymer HG in my book. Sphinx AT84, MAB PA15, pretty much anything Star if you’re a cheap hipster but let’s call out the M28; but really, if I can name it it’s not very hipster.

Alpha Sierra
12-28-2019, 10:32 PM
Aren't S&W wheelguns hipster enough?

I mean you're carrying something basically unchanged since 1898...........

olstyn
12-28-2019, 10:44 PM
Garlic hummus: NO!
Who is/was Emily Dickinson?
Microbrew IPA: fuckyeah!

I agree about the beer and I've never read any of Emily Dickinson's work, but c'mon man, garlic hummus is delicious. :)

LockedBreech
12-29-2019, 12:39 AM
I don't think CZ counts as hipster considering almost every time I mention my various Beretta 92-series guns I get a comment "Have you tried CZ?!"

That said, I do really enjoy my CZ-75B Omega. It's a very solid gun.

Willard
12-29-2019, 12:42 AM
APX without a doubt if restricted to the two. If not, I'd go with: 1) PX4CC from Langdon Tactical top pkg or 2) One of the 92 variants from Langdon.

pangloss
12-29-2019, 01:15 AM

46472You laugh, but just today I saw a post for two GB mags for $375. I seriously thought about it for a couple of minutes as I would dearly love to shoot a match with my GB.

Getting back to the OP, I would definitely set up duplicate practice and carry pistols before anything else. I honestly enjoy shooting more when I have duplicates.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Alpha Sierra
12-29-2019, 07:23 AM
I sold a 686 because I liked my Chiappa Rhino better
WUT???

I'm in a funny position because of Christmas of being able to purchase a handgun in this price range but not more ammo.
How does that work? Based on your other thread, more ammo is what you need.

I lean heavily towards guns with extreme grip angles
I wonder if that has something to do with your struggle over gripping a pistol

Bigghoss
12-29-2019, 08:20 AM
If you want to be a hipster it's gotta be .357 Sig or .45 GAP.

#ModsHereAreShit (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=ModsHereAreShit)

arcfide
12-30-2019, 02:30 AM
WUT???

I know, I know.

How does that work? Based on your other thread, more ammo is what you need.

We all need more ammo, but this is a Christmas gift sort of thing and the specification is to purchase a firearm, not ammo. I think it has to do with the "cool factor" of the gift itself being a part of the gift.

I wonder if that has something to do with your struggle over gripping a pistol

I'm not sure in which direction you are implying the struggle, but the Chiappa Rhino is without a doubt one of the easiest to control handguns in my collection and a pleasure to shoot, and it has the sharpest grip angle by far. However, most of my shooting happens with an APX, which I wouldn't consider as having an extreme grip angle.

Alpha Sierra
12-30-2019, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure in which direction you are implying the struggle, but the Chiappa Rhino is without a doubt one of the easiest to control handguns in my collection and a pleasure to shoot, and it has the sharpest grip angle by far. However, most of my shooting happens with an APX, which I wouldn't consider as having an extreme grip angle.

I think you look for hardware solutions to a software problem.

But if you think a steeper (from vertical) grip angle is the key, sell everything and buy a pair of Glocks.

Tod-13
12-30-2019, 09:35 AM
*sigh* Why no APX Carry RDO?

ETA: What is with manufacturers selling red dot guns without offering suppressor height sights?

call_me_ski
12-30-2019, 11:11 AM
If you shoot a CZ it is very likely that your wife’s boyfriend shoots a Glock.

Why is it always like this?

Alpha Sierra
12-30-2019, 10:35 PM
If you shoot a CZ it is very likely that your wife’s boyfriend shoots a Glock.

Show me on the doll where you were touched by CZ shooters.............

call_me_ski
12-31-2019, 12:10 AM
Show me on the doll where you were touched by CZ shooters.............

http://somewhatmanlynerd.com/gifs/charliemolested.gif

arcfide
12-31-2019, 02:38 AM
I think you look for hardware solutions to a software problem.

But if you think a steeper (from vertical) grip angle is the key, sell everything and buy a pair of Glocks.

It might seem that way, but I don't think that's what I am doing. It's just a type of gun that I appreciate and enjoy. I find them more fun to shoot and generally more enjoyable. I mean, after all, I specified a hipster gun. I want to improve my shooting, but I'm also not going to ignore other enjoyable aspects of firearms just because they won't necessarily help me improve my skill.

rayrevolver
12-31-2019, 10:46 AM
Easy, get the new MF Steyr, MF!

The cheap Steyrs sold by CDNN in the 2000s was the first 9mm I purchased for myself. It doesn't come out of the safe much (last shot in 2013) but I recall very flat shooting and quick cycling. I need to get a timer and shoot it back-to-back with the G34. A cheap $12 part helped the trigger smoothness (BT Steyr Glide-Rite https://www.btguiderods.com/category/steyr-acc/), not sure if the newer pistols need this.

Overall I had 6.5 stoppages associated with 2 specific mags in 3200 rounds. If I was smart, I would have set aside those mags but I didn't. It was sidelined when I started carrying a G26.

I only wish the L models were similar to a G34 vice G17 with respect to barrel length. I have been trying to pair down to pistols I will shoot, so getting the new MF is probably not going to happen for me. Maybe.

TeflonDon
12-31-2019, 10:44 PM
Easy, get the new MF Steyr, MF!

The cheap Steyrs sold by CDNN in the 2000s was the first 9mm I purchased for myself. It doesn't come out of the safe much (last shot in 2013) but I recall very flat shooting and quick cycling. I need to get a timer and shoot it back-to-back with the G34. A cheap $12 part helped the trigger smoothness (BT Steyr Glide-Rite https://www.btguiderods.com/category/steyr-acc/), not sure if the newer pistols need this.

Overall I had 6.5 stoppages associated with 2 specific mags in 3200 rounds. If I was smart, I would have set aside those mags but I didn't. It was sidelined when I started carrying a G26.

I only wish the L models were similar to a G34 vice G17 with respect to barrel length. I have been trying to pair down to pistols I will shoot, so getting the new MF is probably not going to happen for me. Maybe.
The APX is the better choice... Better than CZ P10c too...

gatorboy
01-01-2020, 08:38 AM
I will raise the CZ with the Grand Power K100 MK 12 models. Those combine a rotary action, a steel sub-frame inside the polymer frame, an amazing DA/SA trigger, and the ability to run the pistol "cocked-and-locked".

You can get them in 10mm too!

kcevans
01-01-2020, 10:33 AM
I would go with the Steyr. I have an original M9 and M9-A1. The M9-A1 I purchased new and have close to 5K rounds through it, once it was past the 200 round break-in period it has been 100% reliable. The M9 I purchased used from a friend of mine that is in law enforcement. He purchased the M9 new for IDPA use and as a general beater piece. It was used for multiple matches per month along with several firearms classes for several years. When I purchased it the pistol it was over 25K rounds and it is one of my favorite pistols to take to the range.

Once you get used to the grip angle and the trap sights these pistols are extremely fats to shoot. When shooting an IDPA match I will still 50% of the time grab the used, well-worn M9. If you ever have a problem with a Steyr pistol, Jeff at their facility in

Choose what fits you best and go shoot a couple of thousand rounds.

rayrevolver
01-01-2020, 10:44 AM

A new indoor shooting range opened up, our first in the county, and they have rentals. So I might be able to shoot the APX or P10c.

After reading the thread on Glock shootability and thinking about low bore-axis, I found this link below. I post it not to argue about bore-axis, but to talk the "alignment index" the author came up with. It seems to show how the strikers force your wrist to lock down.

Anywho, I am very happy with the Gen 5 Glocks and my groups at 25 yards.

https://www.guntweaks.com/pistol-bore-axis-comparison-what-is-low-bore-axis.html

https://www.guntweaks.com/uploads/1/9/6/5/19655623/alignment-index-striker-guns-guntweaks_1_orig.png
https://www.guntweaks.com/uploads/1/9/6/5/19655623/alignment-index-hammer-guns-guntweaks-1_orig.png

Alpha Sierra
01-01-2020, 11:11 AM
After reading the thread on Glock shootability and thinking about low bore-axis, I found this link below. I post it not to argue about bore-axis, but to talk the "alignment index" the author came up with. It seems to show how the strikers force your wrist to lock down.

https://www.guntweaks.com/pistol-bore-axis-comparison-what-is-low-bore-axis.html

https://www.guntweaks.com/uploads/1/9/6/5/19655623/alignment-index-striker-guns-guntweaks_1_orig.png
https://www.guntweaks.com/uploads/1/9/6/5/19655623/alignment-index-hammer-guns-guntweaks-1_orig.png

The same is true when I compare my trigger finger angle between my P-10F and P-09

Alpha Sierra
01-01-2020, 11:12 AM

Objectively or subjectively?

TeflonDon
01-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Objectively or subjectively?

All the opinions in this thread and opinions about generally reliabile handguns are strictly subjective. I'm a CZ fan. I own their hammer fired handguns. Just do not think the P10c offers anything over others in the market or does anything better. It does have better aftermarket support, I'll give it that much, but you can still find pretty much everything you need for the APX. The APX is also well built and reliable, but has benefits over the P10 and is more affordable. This is just for me, but I shoot the APX better than my M&P 2.0, Glocks, XD's, and the P10c...

Alpha Sierra
01-01-2020, 04:52 PM
All the opinions in this thread and opinions about generally reliabile handguns are strictly subjective. I'm a CZ fan. I own their hammer fired handguns. Just do not think the P10c offers anything over others in the market or does anything better. It does have better aftermarket support, I'll give it that much, but you can still find pretty much everything you need for the APX. The APX is also well built and reliable, but has benefits over the P10 and is more affordable. This is just for me, but I shoot the APX better than my M&P 2.0, Glocks, XD's, and the P10c...

Fair enough. I'm beginning to get over the grip differences between my new P-10F (about 1300 rounds through it in the last month and a half) and the P-09 that I normally use for USPSA Production (5900 rounds since last May) and the P-01 that I carry.

In any case, I have a metric crapton of CZ magazines (both for the 75 variants and for the P-07/P-09/P-10) so the cost of switching over subjective or minor advantages is just too high.

Never shot an APX so I won't comment on it.

Grecco
01-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Owning both,
IMHO the APX is a better all around pistol.

Beretta1526
01-02-2020, 01:29 PM
After about 100 rounds out of each of them, I still like the APX more than the Steyr, but my first shots of both were a very different situation. The APX, my first three shots were in the 7 and 8 ring, then came in to the bull's eye. The Steyr L9 A2 was one ragged hole about 2" in diameter. The APX carry was all in the bull's eye, but that's a slightly different animal.

claymore504
01-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Not sure why the term hipster is used, but I would pick the APX for sure.

wasserpistole
01-22-2020, 11:59 AM
I have a Steyr L9 which has been fantastic! I have had it for about 3 years. Never a failure in any way. I've shot probably about 3,000 rounds through it. Lots of hand loads (some mild, some hot) lots of factory ammo. It is very accurate, and once you put a Talon grip on it, wow perfection. The trigger is just under 4 lbs and has a short reset. The trapezoidal sights are actually excellent. You can aim with the tip if you require fine precision or the whole sight if you need general accuracy and speed. Most people that have tried it have really liked it! When you look inside you see the quality is far above most other manufacturers.

I bought it on sale for $375. Can't beat that.

Greg Bell
01-22-2020, 01:40 PM
P7m8 is the alpha hipster gun

arcfide
01-24-2020, 05:38 PM
Okay, I made my decision, and today I picked up an APX Target.

revchuck38
01-24-2020, 05:51 PM

Targets or it didn't happen. :)

arcfide
01-24-2020, 05:52 PM
Targets or it didn't happen. :)

Working on it! My Software/Recoil management thread means I also have to provide shot timer results too. ;-)

Alpha Sierra
01-24-2020, 05:57 PM

You gonna put a red dot on it?

arcfide
01-24-2020, 06:03 PM
You gonna put a red dot on it?

At some point, it's almost a certainty. Right now I'll run it with just the irons, but I've been hovering around the RDS idea for a long time.

Alpha Sierra
01-24-2020, 06:06 PM
At some point, it's almost a certainty. Right now I'll run it with just the irons, but I've been hovering around the RDS idea for a long time.

Do it now. You'll thank me later.

arcfide
02-02-2020, 11:44 PM
Do it now. You'll thank me later.

If only the budget permitted such...decisiveness.