PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Mid Hikers

rd62
12-25-2019, 08:59 PM
Hoping to take advantage of some after Christmas/end of year sales and pickup a new pair of mid-hikers. These will be for foul weather, camping with the scouts, mild hikes, casual and range wear.

I've had a couple of pairs of Merrells and was happy with them until my last pair, which did not hold up near as well.

Considering Merrells, Salomons, Keens, Vasque, and Oboz.

Any recommendations? I wear a 13 and would benefit from a wide likely.

randyho
12-25-2019, 09:05 PM
Add Asolo to your list.

blues
12-25-2019, 09:07 PM
I have four pair of Oboz but they are all low. They provide excellent support, (which I require), and have held up well for me on rough and graveled roads and trails.

I have been less than enthused by my last few pair of Merrells...and Keen, which fit me well, were less than satisfactory in terms of overall durability.

Oboz have my vote currently. I'd recommend looking at the Bridgers.

Up1911Fan
12-25-2019, 09:08 PM
I really like the Salomon 3D mid GTX.

Clusterfrack
12-25-2019, 09:50 PM
I wore my Salomon Outline Mid GTX on a hike today. I have around 100 miles on them, and they are the best light trail boots I’ve used. They can be improved by adding a quality insole.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/outline-mid-gtxr.html#color=9534

Greg
12-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Everybody has different feet. You have to figure out what fits you.

I saw Asolo recommended above and I swear they are shaped for chimpanzee feet. Others love them.

When you do find something that fits, buy extras.

ST911
12-25-2019, 10:37 PM
recent thread: Durable Boots for Hiking and Work ?
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?34974-Durable-Boots-for-Hiking-and-Work

recent thread: Winter Boots
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?39326-Winter-Boots

Lots of good discussion in both threads that will answer your question.

Cypher
12-25-2019, 10:57 PM
The quality of Vasques has gone way down since they started making them in China

I had a pair that literally fell apart after 6 months of wearing them at work. The sole was some kind of injection molded plastic. I wore a hole in it in 3 months and took it to my cobbler and he said they couldn't be resoled.

I haven't looked at a pair of Vasques since.

AKDoug
12-26-2019, 03:52 AM
I've been wearing Scarpas this year. I'm very happy with my Stratos lows and Moraine mids. Honestly, I like the lows so much I hardly wear the mids.

Cypher
12-26-2019, 04:00 AM
I'm going to make the same recommendation I always do. Check out the Belleville 700 series ACU boots. They have a polyurethane midsole that when you're walking on pavement you can feel the give in it. They're Gortex lined, I've worn them in rain, mud and snow and have yet to have a pair leak. They're not fashionable but for your intended purpose to they don't need be and they are less expensive than the other boots that were mentioned.

I don't know if there's a military installation near you but around here you can find them brand new in the surplus stores for round twenty bucks a pair.

cornstalker
12-26-2019, 08:13 AM
I have had good luck with Meindl and Zamberlan. I bought a pair of Keens in April and have completely destroyed them already. I love Salomon but the toe boxes are too narrow for me.

scjbash
12-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Keens are extremely comfortable pieces of shit. Which sucks because they used to be good shoes.

GJM
12-26-2019, 08:47 AM
I would add Salewa, Arcteryx and Inov8 to your list. Those are the brands I wear daily.

TAZ
12-26-2019, 08:51 AM
I’ve had good luck with Asolo and Lowa for serious hiking aka back country heavy pack type work. Day hikes, with little to no load and such Keen and Merrel, but they wear fast. For me they also won’t work with loads.

fixer
12-26-2019, 11:40 AM
Keens are my go to every day shoe. But for trail work I use the Salomon X ultra 3 mid gtx.

I’ve used Keens exclusively for steel toe work boots and every day shoes for many years. However the Targhee pair I got are not like the Keens I’m used to. The gluing is coming undone and threads and stiching are coming undone. The US made work boots are really fantastic and wear like tool steel.

More than likely going to Salomon for every day shoes from here on.

littlejerry
12-26-2019, 11:50 AM
I have a strong preference for low drop and minimally supportive shoes. Highly structured boots typically give me aching feet, blisters, and make me feel clumsy in the woods.

I wear the Altra Lone Peak mids when possible. They aren't durable but they are cheap and keep my body happy. Living in the south I also don't need waterproof boots.

If I need something more durable I've had decent luck with Keen Durand hikers.

At this point I've just accepted that the cost of Happy feet is annual replacement of trail runner type boots.

blues
12-26-2019, 12:49 PM
I have a strong preference for low drop and minimally supportive shoes. Highly structured boots typically give me aching feet, blisters, and make me feel clumsy in the woods.

I wear the Altra Lone Peak mids when possible. They aren't durable but they are cheap and keep my body happy. Living in the south I also don't need waterproof boots.

If I need something more durable I've had decent luck with Keen Durand hikers.

At this point I've just accepted that the cost of Happy feet is annual replacement of trail runner type boots.

It's interesting how different our various needs are. The most comfortable sneaker-like shoe I found for hiking, which still provided great arch support to prevent my over-pronation was the Ahnu Ridgecrest. Of course it's not made anymore but I bought four pair while it was. The Oboz have either firmer support, (Bridger), or lesser, (Sawtooth II), but both exceed the Ahnu which is more athletic shoe like.

Having liked Keens in the past, I tried the American made Durand and felt like I was walking in a cinder block. It was probably the worst shoe I have tried on in years (for my feet), and sent it back immediately.

vcdgrips
12-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Executive Summary-Something from Salomon. Wordy post follows:

I was/am you. A hiker as driven by being a Scout dad, then prepping up for Philmont etc. Casual wear, trips to the range and classes etc.

I suspect that all the brands mentioned will do you just fine-I have specific experience with two directly and one anecdotally.

My go to boots for 65-70% of my Scouting career was a pair of Salomon 3D GTX. Very Comfortable. No Break in. My feet did not sweat in them from 30 ish to 70 ish degrees when mated with the Kirkland Brand Marino wool sock. I typically wear 13 but bought these at 13.5 of a deal on STP with no adverse issues at all. If I was going to do Philmont again, I would go with a Non Goretex Mid Salomon but those were not available in late 2013/early 2014 when I bought for Philmont. (0-30 I worn an REI/Raichle Gortex full leather boot with a glued on sole. Under 0 I wore a Sorel Pac Boot)

My hot weather "boot" was/is ( I still have the ones from 14) the Merrell Moab-NON GORETEX Ventilator to include 100 miles of train up and 100+ Miles at Philmont in 2014. No issues when mated with the socks mentioned above. They dried out very quickly when wet. I am typically a 13 but bought these in 14s given the amount of hiking I knew I was going to do in them.

Many Dads that had wide feet in my Troop solved their boot dilemma by buying Keen as they have a fairly wide toe box.

I am a big believer in wearing the lightest shoe possible for comfort/agility relative to the task at hand at the expense of durability as every pound on your foot is the functional equal. to 5+ pounds in a pack on your back.

I do not believe that any of the lighter, running shoe inspired, glued on sole boots (i.e. Salomon) are going to be as durable as the boot based one i.e. Asolo Fugitive. Those boots will not be as durable as a sewn on, welted, recraftable soled boot i.e. Alico, Zamberlan etc.. You also start doubling price and weight as you go.

FWIW.

PS Good on your for Scouting. You are making wonderful memories.

littlejerry
12-26-2019, 01:17 PM
It's interesting how different our various needs are. The most comfortable sneaker-like shoe I found for hiking, which still provided great arch support to prevent my over-pronation was the Ahnu Ridgecrest. Of course it's not made anymore but I bought four pair while it was. The Oboz have either firmer support, (Bridger), or lesser, (Sawtooth II), but both exceed the Ahnu which is more athletic shoe like.

Having liked Keens in the past, I tried the American made Durand and felt like I was walking in a cinder block. It was probably the worst shoe I have tried on in years (for my feet), and sent it back immediately.

I should probably elaborate and say I dislike the Durands for any kind of real mileage. They are durable enough to do work around our property without fear of a sharp branch stabbing my foot, and they are reasonably roomy so my toes don't get pinched. My common shoe problems are excessive arch support and narrow toes. I typically wear injinji toe socks or sock liners which also tend to spread out my toes even farther, so I'm always after a wide and roomy toe box.

Anything over 6 miles and I'm taking my Lone Peaks.

I also have a tendency to overpronate, but my solution has been regular hip stretching and strength building. The probation is still there as evidence by the wear on my shoes but I don't suffer any kind of injuries despite doing 10+ mile runs and 10-50 mile rucks.

rd62
12-26-2019, 01:55 PM
Executive Summary-Something from Salomon. Wordy post follows:

I was/am you. A hiker as driven by being a Scout dad, then prepping up for Philmont etc. Casual wear, trips to the range and classes etc.

I suspect that all the brands mentioned will do you just fine-I have specific experience with two directly and one anecdotally.

My go to boots for 65-70% of my Scouting career was a pair of Salomon 3D GTX. Very Comfortable. No Break in. My feet did not sweat in them from 30 ish to 70 ish degrees when mated with the Kirkland Brand Marino wool sock. I typically wear 13 but bought these at 13.5 of a deal on STP with no adverse issues at all. If I was going to do Philmont again, I would go with a Non Goretex Mid Salomon but those were not available in late 2013/early 2014 when I bought for Philmont. (0-30 I worn an REI/Raichle Gortex full leather boot with a glued on sole. Under 0 I wore a Sorel Pac Boot)

My hot weather "boot" was/is ( I still have the ones from 14) the Merrell Moab-NON GORETEX Ventilator to include 100 miles of train up and 100+ Miles at Philmont in 2014. No issues when mated with the socks mentioned above. They dried out very quickly when wet. I am typically a 13 but bought these in 14s given the amount of hiking I knew I was going to do in them.

Many Dads that had wide feet in my Troop solved their boot dilemma by buying Keen as they have a fairly wide toe box.

I am a big believer in wearing the lightest shoe possible for comfort/agility relative to the task at hand at the expense of durability as every pound on your foot is the functional equal. to 5+ pounds in a pack on your back.

I do not believe that any of the lighter, running shoe inspired, glued on sole boots (i.e. Salomon) are going to be as durable as the boot based one i.e. Asolo Fugitive. Those boots will not be as durable as a sewn on, welted, recraftable soled boot i.e. Alico, Zamberlan etc.. You also start doubling price and weight as you go.

FWIW.

PS Good on your for Scouting. You are making wonderful memories.

Thanks! Very good info!

blues
12-26-2019, 02:58 PM
I also have a tendency to overpronate, but my solution has been regular hip stretching and strength building. The pronation is still there as evidence by the wear on my shoes but I don't suffer any kind of injuries despite doing 10+ mile runs and 10-50 mile rucks.

I hear ya. My overpronation is structure related. I found out during my law enforcement physicals that I have scoliosis, (I didn't even know what it was), and Morton's toe / foot / neuroma where the second toe appears to be longer than the big toe, but it's actually just the structure that makes it appear so...and causes several issues. That also normally causes rolling inward. Now I know why I was prone to certain injuries from running...or long hikes without a built up arch. (I'm relatively flat footed but like a pronounced arch for support.)

I don't have issues from long hikes or rock climbing. I think lifelong weight training / deadlifting in particular, has helped keep injuries away for the most part. I've given up running for less jarring cardio like rowing.

Wish I had learned much earlier just how important good shoes were to well being.

txdpd
12-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Nushoe can resole EVA foam and polyurethane midsole boots. If you supinate or pronate badly the midsole will take a set, when they get resoled, nushoe will shave off the old sole and glue the new one with a cant.

HAIX is another brand worth looking at. I recently got a replacement pair of Protector Prime boots after the soles on the other ones delaminated after 4 years, I only wore them when chainsawing and running some power equipment, so maybe 30 days of use. I contacted HAIX, made my case, sent them in and they replaced them. Only drawback is the new ones are orange.

2xAGM114
12-27-2019, 12:33 AM
Oboz.

Rex G
12-27-2019, 06:03 AM
I don’t know about seasonal discounts, but Danner has been my go-to, no-break-in-needed brand for as long as I can remember. The stitch-down sole models can be re-soled and refurbished by Danner, or by your locally-favored cobbler. The Vibram soles wear more quickly than the Kletterlift soles.

I am about to order another pair of Mountain Lights, probably brown colored, for a less-duty/military look, and send two back for re-soling.

fixer
12-27-2019, 12:53 PM
I would add Salewa, Arcteryx and Inov8 to your list. Those are the brands I wear daily.

Man I have a hiking boot addiction already... didn’t need to see these Salewa.