PDA

View Full Version : I want a polymer framed 45

Jared
12-23-2019, 10:36 PM
I’m considering getting a polymer framed 45 Auto pistol. Most likely it’ll be a range toy, but I could find other uses for it. Local shop does have a used Glock 41, used Glock 23SF, and a used M&P 45c (1.0). I’d kinda like to hear any experiences anyone cares to share on any of these. I had a Smith M&P 1.0 45 before and kinda remember I didn’t care for it much but don’t remember exactly why.

Anyway, please share your experiences with poly framed 45s, what you liked, what you hated, etc. Of the 3, the G41 has my interest the most, but I’m open to being swayed in the direction of either of the others or something else entirely.

45dotACP
12-23-2019, 10:42 PM
The Glock 21 I used to own was easily more accurate than most production grade 1911s (Kimbers, Rugers, Colt's) and would probably hang in there with a number of higher end Springfield 1911s like the Operators or TRPs

I'm not alone in this...whatever Glock did for the 21 they really seemed to crack the nut on a phenomenally accurate duty grade pistol. I've heard similar stuff about the Glock 30.

Never shot a M&P45 or a Glock 41

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

NPV
12-23-2019, 10:45 PM
Are you sold on a striker gun? If not the HK45 is worth a look, IMO the best polymer 45 I’ve shot.

But the above poster does have a point the G21 is more accurate than it should be and a fairly flat shooting handgun. For my hands it’s a little blocky but YMMV.

Edit to add: I’ve only handled an MP45 but it also had a blocky feel, thick in the front to back dimension of the frame.

fly out
12-23-2019, 11:00 PM
PX4 Storm full-size? Grand Power P45? If you don't mind buying new, check them out. Both are very soft shooting. Probably won't find them used, locally, unless your used market is a lot more interesting than mine.

PD Sgt.
12-23-2019, 11:03 PM
I am a big fan of the M&P .45, both the compact and mid-size 1.0 versions. I have no experience with the 2.0 in .45. I have found them to be very accurate (IMHO the best of the 1.0 M&P line) and relatively soft shooting. The compact is very close in size to a G19, pretty much the standard for concealment/duty size pistols. On the downside the full size frame holds 10, as opposed to the G21’s 13, but to me it is more concealable/ergonomic. They are also available with a thumb safety, or one can be easily added if that is your preference.

I have had a Gen 3 G21, and found it also very accurate. I did not have it and my M&Ps at the same time, so I was never able to compare performance head to head. I sold it only because it was too blocky for me personally to carry concealed.

I have a HK 45c LEM, great pistol, and probably the most overbuilt polymer .45 you can buy. But it is spendy compared to the others, and for me not appreciably more accurate than my M&Ps for the cost. The main reason I have it is as a backcountry hiking pistol as it will run .45 Super loads.

Overall, I prefer the Smith as I shoot it the best, it is easy to work on, and I have had no problems with any of mine.

DIESEL
12-23-2019, 11:24 PM
I know not all here share my opinion on this but if you don't mind dropping some coin, my FNX TAC is one of the most accurate and fun to shoot pistols in the stable. I can easily put 250-300 rounds through it every time I go shooting and it's hard to wipe the smile of my face, plus 15 rnds per stick is AWESOME 👍. My wallet doesn't appreciate my affection for .45 but I sure do!

vcdgrips
12-23-2019, 11:44 PM
If you are already into Glocks, then the 21/41 is a natural pivot. If not, the concept of an M&P .45 with some Apex drop in trigger goodness would have me leaning strongly M&P.

I have maybe 500 rounds thru a Circa 2010 G21 SF. It was 6 inch accurate at 25 (more a reflection on me v. the gun), 1 ragged hole accurate at 10. Reliable with all factory 230 g loads to include WWB, Speer Lawman, Winchester Ranger and Golden Saber. It was also accurate and completely reliable with a reloaded 230 Plated Berry bullet over 5.4-5.6g of 231/HP-38 powder.

FWIW

Totem Polar
12-24-2019, 12:03 AM
The other option is to actually get a ".45" the Rock River Poly 1911. Totally underrated gun, IMHO.

Duelist
12-24-2019, 12:32 AM
If the g41 has your attention, grab it. If you don’t like it, sell it. If I wanted to run a .45 Glock, I’d grab a 30 and a 41 and be covered and happy.

In fact, there’s a used 30SF at my LGS at a favorable price I’ve thought about a lot lately. I’d have to trade something, though, and I don’t want to trade anything.

MattyD380
12-24-2019, 12:33 AM
I don't really like Glocks. I can't shoot a Glock 19 worth a damn.

But the one time I shot a Glock 30, the rounds went right where I wanted them. ...which I wouldn't give any credence to, but, others seem to report better-than-normal accuracy with Glock .45s. I read somewhere they have 8 lands and grooves vs. the normal 6. Not sure that has anything to do with it... but maybe.

I also shot a Glock 36 in that same outing. Also very accurate, but I had one FTF. Probably limp-wristig.

Personally, I've owned an HK45c and a USPc .45. Of the two, I guess I liked the 45c better. It was extremely accurate, but the DA trigger was absolutely horrible. And the grip ergos weren't great for me. The USPc had a much, much better trigger, but the ergos were even worse. For me, anyway. Of the two, I shot the 45c better.

LockedBreech
12-24-2019, 12:44 AM
My M&P45 2.0 4.6” is a truly exceptional pistol in every way. It would be one of my first choices to hand if the shit really hit the fan.

That said, the G21 is also an outstanding choice for reasons already articulated. Provided it fits you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonInWA
12-24-2019, 01:00 AM
It's probably the least "natural" of my Glocks to pick up and shoot, but my Gen 3 G21 is also probably the most intrinsically accurate, and dead nuts reliable. Best, Jon

OlongJohnson
12-24-2019, 01:24 AM
How did we get this far without anyone saying a used USP .45 FS?

HK45 is very similar. If you get along with the oval grip rather than the Ol' Slabsides, it may be better.

JRB
12-24-2019, 01:32 AM
I can't imagine needing a poly .45 and not starting with a G21 or M&P45. If you want a DA/SA the answer is a USP45 or an HK45.

Personally I'd lean toward the G21 or USP45 because of my experience with them, but I'd carry any of the above with confidence.

Vandal320
12-24-2019, 02:28 AM
No love for the PPQ.45?

john c
12-24-2019, 02:28 AM
I've had a couple of G21s, and they never "worked" for me the way the 9mm versions do. I grabbed an M&P 2.0 45 full size and never looked back. These are excellent pistols. The 2.0 triggers don't require an apex upgrade, in my opinion.

Maca
12-24-2019, 07:11 AM
I have carried an HK 45C LEM for several years before moving to a Glock 19x, and it is an awesome gun. Last year the prices came down a lot, and they are now hovering around 750, which is a steal in my opinion.

Unless your other guns are Glock, in which case I suggest you maintain consistency, I see no reason not to get the 45 or the 45C. By the way, I prefer the squared grip of the 45C after owning multiple examples of each.

JTQ
12-24-2019, 07:28 AM
We have this thread on the PX4 45 https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?29478-Beretta-PX4-Storm-45-High-round-count-long-duration-usage

The late Stephen A. Camp with the PX4 45 https://hipowersandhandguns.com/shooting_the_45-caliber%20beretta%20PX4.htm

Patrick E. Kelley has this video on the PX4 45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqTu1cOINh0

- He had accuracy problems with heavy bullets, but the guys in our PX4 45 thread didn't.

Here's Patrick E. Kelley with the Grand Power 45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhkoJgl1i7I

Whirlwind06
12-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Another vote for the G41 it's big a blocky but very accurate and reliable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

45dotACP
12-24-2019, 08:15 AM
The other option is to actually get a ".45" the Rock River Poly 1911. Totally underrated gun, IMHO.I second this. I'll probably be inclined to say it's more accurate than all of the guns listed thus far.

Considering most of RRA's standard 1911s are similar in cost to a Dan Wesson or Les Baer, the fact that it's 850-900 dollars makes it one of the better values I've seen in the 1911 world as well.

Borderland
12-24-2019, 08:29 AM
I just bought my first polymer pistol. Swore I would never own one but I've been very curious about the HK45 for a long time. I found a used one by chance at a local store and decided to just scratch the itch. So far I'm happy with it but only had it out one time. Prices on those have dropped to the point where they should at least be considered. I can get a new one from a local dealer for $650. That's pretty crazy considering they used to be around 1K.

Nephrology
12-24-2019, 08:48 AM
I've owned a gen 3 Glock 21 and a pair of M&P45s (1.0, full size and midsize.) the only one left is the midsize M&P.

All 3 are great guns. the Glock 21 was a bit too chunky for my hands and I wanted something else more badly at the time, but I occasionally think about trying out a gen 4. the M&P is also a great gun and is perfect for travel to mag capacity limited states, and much easier for me to get a solid purchase on.

I think you'd be happy with either the glock 21 or the M&P 45. Won't go wrong. If your hands are on the smaller side, I'd probably steer you to the M&P.

lwt16
12-24-2019, 09:00 AM
I have a Glock 41 that is very accurate at the 25 yard line. I also have a 30S that is a great little pistol.

Ammo I usually run is S&B 230 grain FMJ.

ranger
12-24-2019, 09:09 AM
I like my old STI 2011 45ACP. Especially now that "improved" mags are available. I had a G20 and G21 but they are just too big for my hands. M&P45 may be a great option for you.

SAWBONES
12-24-2019, 09:37 AM
"Polymer-frames .45 Auto guns I have owned"

H&K USPc .45 Auto;
I owned two of these, bought NIB when they were first released.
Both shot fine, reasonably precise and accurate (though not a patch on the H&K P7, which till then had been my standard for judgement of both accuracy and precision in handguns), but sold because, as a southpaw my right (support) hand thumb would frequently push the slide release lever pin toward the left, tying up the gun with slide back, in recoil.

Glock 21 Gen 2;
Bought new-used, only had to replace the exhausted slide lock spring.
This remains the bedside gun.
Blocky but manageable gripframe, soft-shooting, quite acceptable accuracy and precision, and altogether reliable.

Glock 30 Gen 3;
Bought two when first released, still have both, and carried one daily for some 5-6 years.
High accuracy and precision, thorough reliability, and even less "felt recoil", somehow, than the G21.
The best of the Glock .45 Auto guns IME, but then I have no experience with any of their .45 Auto models later than the advent of the G36.

Glock 36 Gen 3;
Bought two when first released. As accurate as other Glocks, albeit with "snappier" felt recoil, as expected.
Never reliable. Unpredictable failures to feed, at least every 50 rounds or so, in spite of good (premium commercial) ammo in different bullet weights (185, 230gr) and configurations (FMJ, JHP), and as shot by different people.
The narrowest functional range of reliability among all Glocks, IMO.
Sold both after years of trying to achieve consistent reliability via various tweaks and mods.
(I'm informed Glock has fixed the issues and that the current offering is reliable.)

Jhp147
12-24-2019, 09:56 AM
I have the M&P .45, both the full-size and mid-size 1.0 versions and carried and shot them on duty/IDPA for several years. Though going to 1911s since I retired, I would not hesitate to pick up and carry either one, especially the mid-size. It shot better than the full-sized one and I have no idea why. Never a feeding or extraction problem with anything I ran through it. A used one or LE trade may be cheap with the MP2s out. Drop in an Apex duty trigger kit. Or tune up the parts yourself and it's an even cheaper carry/fun gun. I took mine out of the safe for the first time in a year and a half this week and wondered how well I could shoot it compared to the Commander I've been carrying, it fits my hand pretty darn well. I have not shot any others.

Jim Watson
12-24-2019, 10:00 AM
I had a USP .45. Good in all respects except girth.
I had the use of a G21SF for a while, hoping the SF would matter. It didn't.
I could handle a M&P .45, a native ten shot, but by then I was into .45 Minor and did not know if the type would function on light loads.

My Buzzard's butt is plastic. (STI frame, same configuration as the extinct Eagle but assembled in local shop.) THAT double stack is manageable for me.

sparkyv
12-24-2019, 10:12 AM
I know not all here share my opinion on this but if you don't mind dropping some coin, my FNX TAC is one of the most accurate and fun to shoot pistols in the stable. I can easily put 250-300 rounds through it every time I go shooting and it's hard to wipe the smile of my face, plus 15 rnds per stick is AWESOME 👍. My wallet doesn't appreciate my affection for .45 but I sure do!

My SIL has one inbound. Hopefully we can shoot it in a few days!:cool:

JAH 3rd
12-24-2019, 10:13 AM
My M&P45 2.0 4.6” is a truly exceptional pistol in every way. It would be one of my first choices to hand if the shit really hit the fan.

That said, the G21 is also an outstanding choice for reasons already articulated. Provided it fits you.

I have a 1.0 and 2.0 M&P 45 acp full-size. I like the 2.0 better. The 2.0 has a better trigger and the stippling on the frame secures the pistol in the hand better than the 1.0. Both have been 100% in function. I have a Glock 21sf gen 3. It just doesn't feel as good in my hand as the M&P........but my newly purchased Glock 17 Gen 5 feels great! I see S&W came out with the compact version ( 4" ) of the 2.0 if you want a more compact version.

M2CattleCo
12-24-2019, 10:23 AM
The only plastic 45s I've ever owned have been a couple of G21s and a G36. My 36 experience mirrored SAWBONES, that thing was never reliable with any ammo in any situation, nor was the one Glock replaced it with.

I had a Gen3 21sfRTF2 that was a great shooter, and I had a Gen4 that was as well.

They are not as tolerant ammo loaded to the ends of light and hot as a good 1911 IME, but that's really a non-issue. Stick with quality standard pressure ammo and they run.

I have cut the grip on a couple to take G30 mags with G21 baseplates. Makes about a 19 length grip with no gap and 10 rounds.

farscott
12-24-2019, 10:38 AM
After trying the HK45, HK 45C, and the HK USP45, I had Robar do a grip reduction on a G21.2. It is small enough to fit me, and I have small hands. I do not shoot it much, preferring my 1911-pattern pistols, but it has been as reliable as my 9x19 Glock samples.

HeavyDuty
12-24-2019, 10:48 AM
I have a very early 21.2 that was my late wife’s - she grabbed the first one she saw when it was first released. It’s a keepsake that won’t ever be sold; it’s big and blocky but oddly enough I shoot it well.

Much later I picked up a M&P45c 1.0 which has been great, it’s the only M&P I plan to keep. I Apexed it and also have a second FS top end. It’s very accurate and an overall good shooter.

My newest poly 45 is a G41. The Gen4 grip works well for me, and accuracy is excellent. Reliability has been 100% but I’m only about 1200 rounds in.

SW CQB 45
12-24-2019, 12:44 PM
I have been around G21 since 1992 and I was issued one in 1993. AFN710 was the serial number. That gun was assigned to me for 17 years before they were replaced.

It ran good, I did experience some misfires which according to Glock instructors was a limp wrist. I am a big guy, been around the gym since the 80s and attempted to duplicate a limp wrist... could not do it. We experienced broken extractors on early G21 and Glock had to change extractor design and modded the ejection port area. Ammo was also an issue in the early days for us. Back then Admin wanted cheap, so they bought bagged ammo with concave bases and Wolff. I recall going to a Glock Instructor Workshop many moons ago with Wolff. As a test, we left our cases of ammo on tables at the range overnight. The next day... it was still there. HA! We were good at clearance drills with stuck cases. When Admin change..... we started buying quality ammo and problems went away.

I have been an armorer since 98 and we just traded out the last of the G21. Biggest complaint for G21 was "the gun is too big" to a 126 officer dept. So we switched to G17/19 and now the biggest complaint is my gun shoots left (HA!)

I have seen a lot of firing pin and firing pin safety contact, denting and heard of misfires with the older (first issued guns). I observed a brand new G20 out of the box misfire with a slow deliberate trigger press but would fire with a hammer press.

I fixed a lot of those guns (g21) with plus trigger bars.

G21SF and Gen4 G21 very little issues, we inspected every year.

Keep your firing pin channel clean and inspect wear on your firing pin and firing pin safety annually and G21 should be good to go.

Totem Polar
12-24-2019, 12:53 PM
pinging Lost River, that dude has put some rounds through polymer .45s... plus, he probably has a pic of a beater Glock set against a perfect impressionist Idaho sky or something. This thread is starting get boring without pics.

Whirlwind06
12-24-2019, 01:08 PM
A pic [emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191224/d11e1a08df26ced3c2dd55a33ac46f51.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Baldanders
12-24-2019, 01:32 PM

One of my friends has the "non-TAC" version of this and it is a hell of a shooter. Fits my hand well for a 14 shot .45.

I love my cw45, but "mine works, yours may not, etc." I doubt it's what the OP is interested in, anyway. Check my thread on it if you care.

lwt16
12-24-2019, 01:43 PM

I'm mid 80s at the 50 yard line with it.

45dotACP
12-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Thread is useless without pics

Technically, a polymer .45

The flyer there is something I take full responsibility for, but that's one of my better 5 shot groups at 25 yards. In better shooters hands or when benched, I've heard guys report inch and a half groups at 25 yards. Granted it's about the same weight as an alloy framed 1911 so it really isn't that light.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191224/d127e95eca23872e7eb319003859cdcb.jpg

4given
12-24-2019, 02:42 PM
I have a XDm-45 4.5" I don't carry it, it is a range toy and downstairs stash pistol. I installed a Powder River drop in trigger. I bought it because it fits my small hands better than the Glock SF.

I have grown to like it quite a bit so much so I bought the XDm-10 4.5. Same frame size. Nice woods pistol. Comes stock with a fully supported chamber. Put a Powder River trigger in it too and a stronger recoil spring for my full house handloads and so it doesn't sling the brass from here to eternity.

Lost River
12-24-2019, 02:49 PM
pinging Lost River, that dude has put some rounds through polymer .45s... plus, he probably has a pic of a beater Glock set against a perfect impressionist Idaho sky or something. This thread is starting get boring without pics.

:cool:

This?

https://i.imgur.com/soAPnl3.jpg

Accuracy example (back when I actually practiced).

I was coyote hunting with a friend. Got done with a set (unsuccessfully) and walked back to the truck to go try another spot to call. Off in the disance was a Jack that was looking at us. I told my friend "I am going to shoot that Jack in the head." I produced my G21 and held right between the hare's ears and plunked a 230 grain round into it's head.

* It was really just a lucky shot, but I played it off like it was no big deal and had him snap the pic. :)

https://i.imgur.com/WLgmMRe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bSpcSYb.jpg

I walked out and using my LRF, lasered back to the truck. It was 63 yards. That is what you can expect from your typical G21 and a good trigger.

I can tell you that today, I absolutely cannot shoot that well, and last Friday I was shooting my G21SF, alongside a newly acquired USP FS, and I really sucked since I don't shoot a fraction of the rounds compared to a few years back. That and it was a wee bit chilly out in central ID when we were playing on the range!

I have long used a G21 as an outdoors gun for when I am retrieving meat, after the initial pack out, and when in wolf country. Same for the G30S. Excellent accuracy.

https://i.imgur.com/srddawg.jpg

I shot USPSA with a G21.2 and then a G21.3 for quite a while and can attest to their long term reliability. Very solid guns. The 21.2 was a duty gun until the Gen 3 came out. It now resides at my fathers and sees periodic use still, though not nearly as much as it used to. Honestly I think they are one of the better .45 handguns ever built for duty use, if you have medium to large hands.

https://i.imgur.com/RUk1fDR.jpg

The G21 certainly ranks among the top duty grade .45s ever built.

HK USP/HK 45
Glock 21
S&W 4506
Sig 220

Totem Polar
12-24-2019, 02:59 PM
:cool:

This?

https://i.imgur.com/soAPnl3.jpg

How ‘bout that.
:)

Jared
12-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Ok, honestly prior to posting, I was leaning a little more to the G41. Now Lost River and the others have me leaning more G21SF. Decisions decisions.

Lost River
12-24-2019, 03:36 PM
What is your intended use for the pistol?

Will you put an RDO on it?

Will you use it in the field?

Jared
12-24-2019, 04:03 PM
What is your intended use for the pistol?

Will you put an RDO on it?

Will you use it in the field?

Probably mostly range use. I won’t put a red dot on it. I may get some 10 round mags and see if it’s reliable with those in the event I end up needing a carry pistol in a 10 round restricted area

Trooper224
12-24-2019, 04:26 PM
I was issued a Glock 21 for about half my LE career and it was my sidearm for most of my time on SWAT. Thousands upon thousands of rounds fired with only one single issue, consisting of a light primer strike. Solid choice. I have to say though, I'm impressed by the M&P45. A buddy had a full sized model and the ergos were great, a really sweet shooter. It was also a nail driver, quite unlike any of the M&P 9's I've tried.

El Cid
12-24-2019, 06:11 PM
OP, I’m a big fan of Glocks. I carried a Gen 3 G21 on duty for several years and was very fond of it. Never an issue. I have a Gen4 G21 now that is very soft shooting, reliable and accurate. As far as plastic 45’s it’s my favorite but I will admit I haven’t tried them all. I have a USP45C that’s great but I prefer the G21. I plan to snag a G41 one day but I’m waiting to see if the 45’s get the Gen 5 treatment.

I prefer the Gen 4 pistols in 45 since they have a better texture and the “SF” frame dimensions as a starting point. I get slide bite from Glocks and need the factory beavertail or Grip Force Adapter. That fits much better on the Gen4/SF than original Gen 1-3. Also the Gen 4’s have a double recoil spring. Feels like a 9mm with 230gr ball.

I had a Gen3 21sfRTF2 that was a great shooter, and I had a Gen4 that was as well.

You sir are gonna cost me money. I had no idea such a glorious pistol existed! I have a 17 and a 34 with RTF2 frames. They are ideal as duty / match / HD / field guns in my opinion. The grip is like locking the gun into your hand. The only area I don’t prefer them is concealed carry as my clothing and skin would not hold up. Lol!

M2CattleCo
12-24-2019, 06:14 PM
I was all excited too but the one I had was not near as grippy as the small frame RTF2s.

El Cid
12-24-2019, 06:18 PM
I was all excited too but the one I had was not near as grippy as the small frame RTF2s.

Interesting. I prefer to buy used guns in person so I’ll have to pay close attention. I do wish Glock would offer most of their full size guns in both the RTF (Gen4) and RTF2. They’d sell almost double the guns. At least to suckers like me.

Totem Polar
12-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Sadly, not mine anymore. Went to a great home, though.

fatdog
12-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Sadly, not mine anymore. Went to a great home....

Found an IWB that works well with the oversized frame, and it got carried all day today in fact, will go up in the woods for some overlanding with me tomorrow evening!:)

Accuracy of this gun is on par with anything Wilson/Baer/Brown/Nighthawk make. Reliability has been perfect. It is definitely a sleeper in the market.

fatdog
12-25-2019, 12:02 AM

Bigghoss
12-25-2019, 02:40 AM
LEO trade-in G21 gen 4's and M&P45 1.0's are cheap right now. Get one of each, shoot them and decide which one you like more, be unable to decide and keep both.

Bigghoss
12-25-2019, 02:55 AM
https://i.imgur.com/WLgmMRe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bSpcSYb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/srddawg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RUk1fDR.jpg

"I'm Lost River and even my boring plastic shit is cooler than yours."

Tokarev
12-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Take a look at the SIG P320 45.

I have one that shoots like a tight match pistol.

SIG is changing stuff up for 2020 and it looks like the full size is getting dropped from the lineup. At least on the commercial side of the house. But the 4" carry and compact models should still be available. The carry model should actually be a nice gun. Sort of SIG's version of the Colt Commander.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

John Hearne
12-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Take a look at the SIG P320 45.

I have one that shoots like a tight match pistol.

I would strongly second this. The one I shot was very accurate and the grip small despite 10+1 of America’s cartridge.

Screwball
12-25-2019, 08:41 AM
Had a PX4 in .45. Shot great, but 9/10 rounds for a full size isn’t too positive for me. I’d put the P320 in the same boat, unless you have small hands. My 30S is good to go, in a smaller package, and has the same capacity (if not more if you toss in a 13 rounder). Standard capacity is 10, so that gives you the ban state coverage.

Glock is probably the way to go, considering the aftermarket and magazine standardization. But again, hand size notwithstanding. You can tell if Glock did it all over again, they likely wouldn’t have done the 13 rounders... did the 36 Slimline, SF frames, then the .45 GAP... all to make the grip smaller. If the 13 rounder wasn’t a standard, probably would be around 10 rounds with a stagger like the PX4.

Tokarev
12-25-2019, 08:49 AM
I would strongly second this. The one I shot was very accurate and the grip small despite 10+1 of America’s cartridge.Yes. Grip size is not outrageous as can be the case of some other designs.

Slide dimensions are the same as the 9/40. Only the length of the mag well/grip is stretched to accommodate the longer cartridge.

I'm hoping (but not going to hold my breath) that an X grip module is on the way. That grip with a manual safety would be a nice carry piece.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

revchuck38
12-25-2019, 08:58 AM
Because of this thread, I decided to give my PX4 the day off and dug out my full-size M&P45 1.0. It's an old friend. :)

DavidS
12-28-2019, 12:21 PM
No love for the PPQ.45?

Well, I do love mine, with TruGlo TFX Pro night sights.

Cheers,
Dave

Jared
12-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Ok, so I went back to the shop and handled them all. The M&P is off the list. I’m just not digging it. The other two Glocks would probably do. I liked the G21 SF a little better than the G41, but.... it has the ambi mag release. I swore there were issues with the ambi release on the G21’s but can’t remember for sure. Can anyone refresh my memory please?

JAH 3rd
12-28-2019, 04:36 PM
Ok, so I went back to the shop and handled them all. The M&P is off the list. I’m just not digging it. The other two Glocks would probably do. I liked the G21 SF a little better than the G41, but.... it has the ambi mag release. I swore there were issues with the ambi release on the G21’s but can’t remember for sure. Can anyone refresh my memory please?

The Glock 21 I had with the ambi mag release problem had a picatinny rail, not the Glock rail. I really can't recall what I did with the pistol.....been a few years back. Don't have it now. I eventually got the G21 SF gen 3 with the Glock rail and it works great.

newyork
12-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Is the gen 4 21 not as desirable?

Surprised there’s not more suggestions for HKs

El Cid
12-28-2019, 06:17 PM

I love my Gen4 G21’s. Much softer shooting than my Gen 3 was. The only reason I haven’t bought anymore 45ACP Glocks is I’m waiting to see if they will get the Gen5 treatment. If I had to carry a 45 on duty I’d want a Gen4 G21.

Jared
12-28-2019, 08:26 PM

Honestly, if there was a used G4 G21 in there, or even a new one, I’d probably have never started this thread. I know those are gtg. I’m mostly trying to save some coin by buying used and the three I mentioned in my OP were what was available used at my local shop.

TheNewbie
12-28-2019, 09:05 PM
I love my Gen4 G21’s. Much softer shooting than my Gen 3 was. The only reason I haven’t bought anymore 45ACP Glocks is I’m waiting to see if they will get the Gen5 treatment. If I had to carry a 45 on duty I’d want a Gen4 G21.

A Gen 4 Glock 21 is tempting, but like you, I want to see if a Gen 5 is coming.

iveschris
12-28-2019, 09:14 PM
I've got an unmod'd (no finger groves) gen I or II, two gen IIIs, and a gen IV glock 21. The latter three have the same adaptations/mods: aftermarket recoil spring guide and spring; "-" connector; grip reduction and finger groove removal (mostly by the ever-reliable Lane Owens DBA Cold Bore Customs; he did my '20 as well), and tritium night sights (best results with Ameriglos). My shooting performance is almost indistinguishable among the four with Federal HSTs.

Although the modifications may seem excessive to some, after working through making early-generation S&W M&Ps live up to their potential or Springfield XD Tacticals be reliable, mod'g the '21s proved to be a value though not perhaps a bargain. i transitioned out of 1911s (for the decade before) due to the high potential for my work gun ending up in an evidence locker (private security contractor in a big, eastern city; happened to a co-worker). The glocks worked out the best, sold or traded off the others.

There seem to be some great prices on used, LE-trade '21s nowadays. This circumstance would seem to make a polymer-framed .45 even more of a value.

IN MY HANDS, the .45 has been more accurate and at least as reliable than any other Glocks (or the S&W or Springfield).

NPV
12-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Honestly, if there was a used G4 G21 in there, or even a new one, I’d probably have never started this thread. I know those are gtg. I’m mostly trying to save some coin by buying used and the three I mentioned in my OP were what was available used at my local shop.

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/glock-gen4-night-sights-very-good-condition-p-33569.html

john c
01-01-2020, 07:59 AM
Sadly, not mine anymore. Went to a great home, though.

Why did you let it go? I'm seriously looking at getting one, or maybe a steel framed version.

LockedBreech
01-01-2020, 12:27 PM
https://www.recoilgunworks.com/glock-gen4-night-sights-very-good-condition-p-33569.html

One of my favorite sites for LE trade ins. Accurately graded. I got an Excellent from there that truly was. Only reason I haven’t gotten one of their VG trades is I’m banking on them getting more excellent /unissued ones in

Wise_A
01-01-2020, 09:02 PM

There's been a few. Personally, I think a USP45 FS would tick every box a shooter can have:

*Affordable, especially if you're willing to grab an LE trade-in
*Flexible manual of operations--hammer down/safety off or cocked and locked
*Upgrade the DA/SA trigger to Expert components for non-stupid money
*Swap over to an LEM trigger (light or heavy), or convert to DAO

On the downside, if I'm remembering correctly, the slide can't be milled for a low-set 'dot. You'd have to use a dovetail mount. A plain-Jane FS has more holster options than an Expert, but still maybe not as varied as the ubiquitous G-Lock. Magazines are more expensive than Glock's, and of course, there's the HK mag release, which is not everyone's cup of tea.

here are lots of complaints about the grip, but I find mine a little more comfortable than the 26/19/17/34.

That said, there's really nothing wrong with the 21/41, or a 30.

NPV
01-01-2020, 10:35 PM
A little more enabling, these types of deals have me considering getting one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/850806088

TheNewbie
01-01-2020, 10:52 PM

That is a good deal.

MrInox
01-02-2020, 12:04 AM
My choice is the 45 shield. Most size efficient yet accurate and easy to shoot polymer 45 on the market. Almost the same capacity as an m&p45c or hk45c but in a much smaller gun. I was never impressed with the 45acp glocks....g21, g30, g30s.....all too big and chunky for me and none of them shot as well for me as my shield does......

revchuck38
01-02-2020, 06:52 AM

Bastard! :) Ordered. I've passed on all the other deals I've seen because they didn't have the thumb safety like the full size I already have. Now I have to order some more .45 bullets. And another holster. And probably some more stuff.

HeavyDuty
01-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Bastard! :) Ordered. I've passed on all the other deals I've seen because they didn't have the thumb safety like the full size I already have. Now I have to order some more .45 bullets. And another holster. And probably some more stuff.

Damn, that was a good deal! I really like my 45c 1.0 that I bought when they first came out, and recently converted it to thumb safety. I even have a second FS top end for when I want to do the CCO thang.

revchuck38
01-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Damn, that was a good deal! I really like my 45c 1.0 that I bought when they first came out, and recently converted it to thumb safety. I even have a second FS top end for when I want to do the CCO thang.

They had a total of five, they're LE trade-ins. I don't think I got the last one. Just sayin'...

HeavyDuty
01-02-2020, 10:08 AM
They had a total of five, they're LE trade-ins. I don't think I got the last one. Just sayin'...

I’ll leave them for others - mine fills my needs. An Apex kit really improved my trigger, I put them into all of my M&Ps.

Totem Polar
01-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Why did you let it go? I'm seriously looking at getting one, or maybe a steel framed version.

Hey John, I missed answering this the first time, apologies. The short answer? Probably stupidity, it’s a great pistol! The longer answer is that I got out of 1911s, so I’ve slowly sold them all off. The 1911 really is a bit of an expert’s gun, and I’m not the same level expert as many here. I’m pretty much sticking to /glocks and wheelguns for social/training.

That said, as I think back on all the 1911s I’ve owned (Colt, Kimber, DW, a bunch of Springers), this is the one that sticks out. It handles and shoots waaaay above it’s price class. In my opinion, not only is it the best answer in a sub-1k 1911, it shoots so well and it is fit well enough that it’s my ONLY answer, personally. I can’t believe that the Poly isn’t more popular; it runs like a cross between a DW valor and a Glock 17.

If you’re wanting a working-class 1911, at least get a look at one of these RR Polys up close before buying something else.

As to the steel RRAs, the only thing I know about them is that they have a great rep among the 1911 guys I know. I doubt very strongly that they suck.

But, man, that Poly. Less fatiguing to shoot than an all-steel Gov’t AND lighter. Free lunch stuff. JMO.

NPV
01-02-2020, 06:38 PM

Down to three and I’ve been able to resist this far. How did I go from singing the praises of HK to now debating buying and M&P all in the same thread. This forum sucks the money from my wallet.

newyork
01-02-2020, 06:59 PM
You’ve almost lured me in too. Thankfully (?!) I’m broke lol

Baldanders
01-04-2020, 02:31 AM

That was a steal!

revchuck38
01-10-2020, 08:31 AM

It came in yesterday. Looks like it was cleaned and turned in and then sat in a drawer until sold. Very little holster or barrel hood wear.

I took it to the range and put a magazine of hardball through it to make sure it shoots to POA, and it does. Then I ran 55 rounds of 230-grain standard velocity HST (five full mags with one in the tube) through it and it runs fine. I had time for a couple more mags of coated RNL handloads before it got too dark.

I do need to replace the magazine springs, both in the magazines that came with the gun and the other 12 I have. Brownell's is out of factory ones, but Wolff has theirs. I also want to replace the RSA just on GP, and it looks like the factory is the only source for any but the full-size. Just part of buying a used gun.