PDA

View Full Version : Future Beretta - Langdon Wish

Poconnor
12-23-2019, 02:59 PM
I love my Langdon tuned 92 LTT and PX4 Compact so much that I sold my HK P30s. Now with release of a 92 LTT compact I think another Beretta deserves to become a LTT model. Ever since I was injured and did not bounce back I have been thinking about an orthopedic / elderly years carry gun. I think the tip up barrel Beretta model 86 would be a great investment for old age or injury. Believe me; ordering a left hand holster after rotator cuff surgery is not good. I had a model 86 back in the 90s. I bought it for a woman I was seeing that did not have the hand strength to rack a glock 19 slide or the grip strength to handle a colt detective special for more than 50 rounds. Side note- when she shot my HK P7 she would put the whole magazine.in one ragged hole at 10 yards. The girl is long gone and the beretta when soon after. I never really liked any of my 380s to put them in the never sell pile. I still have the P7.

GyroF-16
12-23-2019, 03:44 PM
I love my Langdon tuned 92 LTT and PX4 Compact so much that I sold my HK P30s. Now with release of a 92 LTT compact I think another Beretta deserves to become a LTT model. Ever since I was injured and did not bounce back I have been thinking about an orthopedic / elderly years carry gun. I think the tip up barrel Beretta model 86 would be a great investment for old age or injury. Believe me; ordering a left hand holster after rotator cuff surgery is not good. I had a model 86 back in the 90s. I bought it for a woman I was seeing that did not have the hand strength to rack a glock 19 slide or the grip strength to handle a colt detective special for more than 50 rounds. Side note- when she shot my HK P7 she would put the whole magazine.in one ragged hole at 10 yards. The girl is long gone and the beretta when soon after. I never really liked any of my 380s to put them in the never sell pile. I still have the P7.

This may be the only gun that would tempt me to buy a .380

Poconnor
12-23-2019, 04:05 PM
It’s so big for a 380 it might as well be 9mm. But the 380 works for the low recoil requirement for injured / arthritic hands

fpnunes
12-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Beretta has made some fine firearms in it's history and the 86 is certainly a neat part of the collection. I personally own an 87 in .22lr that i will never part with. Unfortunately, Beretta due to modern economics will never likely make the 86/87 firearms mainstream again. It is too busy focusing on the 92/APX lines. It would be nice though.

BTW, good decision on the P7. Amazing engineering and I think that every firearm enthusiast should own one. I sold off my two years ago and it was a huge mistake.

ccmdfd
12-23-2019, 06:27 PM
Had one several years ago, but sold it less than 6 months after the purchase.

I have arthritis, and the 86s recoil impulse was quite unpleasant. Really painful.

The only 380 which I've found comfortable to shoot, quite surprisingly , is the G42.

Still have that one

of course ymmv

cc

CraigS
12-25-2019, 04:47 PM
You might want to look at the two M&P EZs. Came out couple years ago in .380 and a couple weeks ago in 9mm. As I understand it they make it easy to rack by going to an internal hammer action. Think like this. To rack a normal striker gun you are pulling against the recoil spring and the striker spring. In this design you are pulling against a recoil spring and a hammer spring. But because of the geometry of the hammer movement and the slide movement the effort to pull the hammer spring actually decreases as the slide moves rearward.

BillSWPA
12-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Had one several years ago, but sold it less than 6 months after the purchase.

I have arthritis, and the 86s recoil impulse was quite unpleasant. Really painful.

The only 380 which I've found comfortable to shoot, quite surprisingly , is the G42.

Still have that one

of course ymmv

cc

This is an interesting observation, and not surprising. Straight blowback guns have less pleasant recoil than an equivalent size, weight, and caliber gun with a tilt barrel or other barrel that moves rearward with the slide. The tilt barrel is a neat feature but perhaps is not the complete solution to the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Watson
12-25-2019, 05:51 PM
I once got to shoot the 86. It is not as easy to operate as you think, based on the little .25s.

CLaw
12-25-2019, 07:47 PM
I feel that the only thing missing from the LTT line is RDS capability. I’m still not sure RDS is where it is at yet, but it is the future...

spence
12-25-2019, 09:10 PM
I feel that the only thing missing from the LTT line is RDS capability. I’m still not sure RDS is where it is at yet, but it is the future...

It may be the wave of the future, but it's not something I am anywhere near ready to go anywhere near.

Bigghoss
12-25-2019, 09:27 PM
If I could wish for any Beretta...

https://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/_thumbs/Images/handguns/italy/hg137/1287740849.jpg

rcbusmc24
12-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Just the thought of a LTT 93R is..... titillating....

No.6
12-26-2019, 01:40 AM
As much as I admire the Cheetah may I suggest a newer and an equally old alternate project?

- New: Ft. Smith PPK/S: also .380, accurate out of the box (and fast) could really use sights, a solution for the sharp frame, and for the F/G PX4 converters a decocker as a bonus.

- Old: Cougar. Owning a 8045 is a full-throated endorsement of the PX4 and also why I haven’t bought one.

AdioSS
12-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Just the thought of ANY 93R is..... titillating....

FIFY

Even if Beretta offered 93R’s in Semiauto only that could not be converted to the 3-shot burst or full auto, they would sell plenty.

MattyD380
12-26-2019, 02:24 PM
While we’re at it... bring back the 1951.

We’d basically have a more slender, single-stack, single action 92. Of course with better sights, better grips, better safeties and a better finish.

medmo
12-26-2019, 07:56 PM
My LTT dream? A trigger bar for the Px4 Compact Carry that is similar to the LTT 92 Optimized Performance Trigger Bar. That would be a dream come true.

LangdonTactical
03-19-2020, 12:14 PM
My LTT dream? A trigger bar for the Px4 Compact Carry that is similar to the LTT 92 Optimized Performance Trigger Bar. That would be a dream come true.

So close, just give me about 4 to 6 weeks.

Polecat
03-19-2020, 03:39 PM
Ernest, acan the barrel on the 92s be any shorter? Say like a 3.5” Heck 3.25” like tru sub?

EVP
03-19-2020, 03:49 PM

This is all I want on my Langdon wish list for Christmas!

Although a single sided decocker for the new style decocker/safety levers and a low profile mag well would be great stocking stuffer‘s. Hahaha

CLaw
03-19-2020, 03:55 PM
Count me in on some of that too...

I’m ready right now! lol

This is all I want on my Langdon wish list for Christmas!

Although a single sided decocker for the new style decocker/safety levers and a low profile mag well would be great stocking stuffer‘s. Hahaha

Winegamd
03-20-2020, 12:25 AM
Ernest, acan the barrel on the 92s be any shorter? Say like a 3.5” Heck 3.25” like tru sub?

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/anib-rare-walther-p38k-1974.html

Gumby
03-20-2020, 11:19 AM
My dream 92 would have a barrel length of 100mm. OAL-190mm, OAH-135mm, OAW-35mm and weight of 30 ounces empty. Yep, I'm dreaming.

JSGlock34
03-20-2020, 11:30 AM
I know Ernest's forte is the TDA, but I don't think Beretta quite hit the mark with the 92X Performance. Would love to see his optimal SA configuration, perhaps built on a M9A1 frame and a Vertec slide to match the LTT lineup.

MattyD380
03-20-2020, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I’ve always thought a 92 with a 3 to 3.5 inch barrel would be cool. Walther P5s and P38Ks have come up before in reference to this topic (I think I brought it up, at least once) because they use the falling block system like the 92–and they’ve got short barrels.

I guess they’re different animals, though, based on what Ernest has said. Maybe the Walthers have more leeway with barrel length because they run dual recoil springs on both sides of the gun. I dunno... just speculating.

Also, since we’re talking about subcompact 92s...

That’s kinda what they did with the 9000s. Though it manages to use a tilt barrel system, while retaining the open-top slide. Which is kinda neat. Everyone seems to hate that gun, though—I’ve never shot one. Kinda sucks they didn’t do a better job with the 9000. The intent seems to be more or less what a lot of people have been wanting.

pastaslinger
03-20-2020, 02:45 PM
I know Ernest's forte is the TDA, but I don't think Beretta quite hit the mark with the 92X Performance. Would love to see his optimal SA configuration, perhaps built on a M9A1 frame and a Vertec slide to match the LTT lineup.

A single action only 92x LTT performance would be interesting... Very interesting...

LangdonTactical
03-20-2020, 03:56 PM

That is a good idea, wish I would have thought of that ;-)

CLaw
03-20-2020, 06:22 PM
That is a good idea, wish I would have thought of that ;-)

Thx JS... Now I need something else....

beenalongtime
03-21-2020, 09:42 AM

I have a Beretta adjustable trigger # E00252, that I acquired in a parts buy (had a stainless extended mag release I was after), wouldn't that do the same thing on one of the guns with a trigger job?

JSGlock34
03-21-2020, 10:16 AM
I have a Beretta adjustable trigger # E00252, that I acquired in a parts buy (had a stainless extended mag release I was after), wouldn't that do the same thing on one of the guns with a trigger job?

I'm not sure I'm following regarding the trigger...but I don't think changing the trigger on the 92X Performance (or any other 92) gets to what I'm envisioning.

I think the driving criteria in the 92X Performance's design was almost entirely on making the gun as heavy as possible for IPSC/USPSA competition. I also don't think it was actually focused on creating a Beretta you would use in single action (the 92X Performance is clearly aimed at competing with the CZ Shadow 2 in Production Division, which does not permit a Condition One start). And it certainly wasn't designed for tactical or defensive use, which is fine, but I'd like to see a Beretta 92 that was meant to be carried cocked and locked.

I don't want to carry a ~50oz pistol. So I'd dump the steel Vertec frame and Brigadier slide to start, which is basically a different design entirely.

I'd imagine an aluminum frame M9A1 base (with the LTT specified relief under the trigger guard area) paired with a Vertec slide. Essentially a LTT 92 with a frame mounted safety for cocked and locked carry. Maybe revive the 92 Combat branding to distinguish it from the Performance and other models?

In any case, I'm looking forward to whatever Ernest is cooking up!

beenalongtime
03-21-2020, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure I'm following regarding the trigger...but I don't think changing the trigger on the 92X Performance (or any other 92) gets to what I'm envisioning.

I'd imagine an aluminum frame M9A1 base (with the LTT specified relief under the trigger guard area) paired with a Vertec slide. Essentially a LTT 92 with a frame mounted safety for cocked and locked carry. Maybe revive the 92 Combat branding to distinguish it from the Performance and other models?

In any case, I'm looking forward to whatever Ernest is cooking up!
The trigger has the adjustment screws in it, but not as easily adjusted as the Performance.
In the other thread, where someone posted a picture of their 92D vertec slide they acquired, then send it off to Josh at Allegheny as he does the mod to a slide mounted safety; it could be done.

I wonder how the demand would be just for the D Vertec slide, so he could do the mods in house, or on a customers full size LTT, or for those who want to buy just the slide for a D model?

medmo
03-21-2020, 09:18 PM
So close, just give me about 4 to 6 weeks.

Oh, dang! Looking forward to giving one a test drive. Combined with the 11# spring (soon possibly 10#) and the TJIAB this is going to be one truly mind blowing TDA.