PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you use your turn signal in a turn-only lane?

LittleLebowski
12-23-2019, 09:05 AM
This is muy importante, answer as if your life depends on it.

BehindBlueI's
12-23-2019, 09:07 AM
Yes.

Using a turn signal isn't a conscious decision for me.

orionz06
12-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Turn signal always.

APS-PF
12-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Yes out of habit but also others on the road might not know it's a turn only lane.

farscott
12-23-2019, 09:20 AM
I use a turn signal to enter the turn-only lane, but I do not use the turn signal during the turn. A good example is exiting the interstate in a turn-only lane, say moving from I-40 to I-65 in Nashville. I use the signal to enter the turn-only lane, but I turn the signal OFF once I am in the exit-only lane. I then use the turn signal to merge onto I-65. I would use the turn signal if I had to exit the exit-only lane for some reason, say an emergency vehicle on the shoulder or the exit being closed.

My thought is the turn signal indicates the intent to change lanes or to change the road on which the vehicle travels. Once the vehicle is in the exit-only lane, the intent is clear.

Duelist
12-23-2019, 09:23 AM
Always use them. Always.

Lives do depend on it.

LittleLebowski
12-23-2019, 09:23 AM
I can't stand sitting there and listening to the damn thing. #ModsHereAreShit (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=ModsHereAreShit)

Nephrology
12-23-2019, 09:29 AM
I engage my turn signal every time I turn. On empty rural highways, in the small roads and through-ways of my apt complex. If my wheel is going right or left, my turn signal is on to let you know, appropriately in advance of the turn.

Completely blows my mind when people do not return the favor. It takes <1 second. there is no downside to doing so.

echo5charlie
12-23-2019, 09:29 AM
I live on a dead-end street and I used the turn signal turning into my fucking driveway. At 3am. In a blizzard. And I asked myself WTF I was doing.

So yes, I do use my turn signal 99.99% of the time. That 0.01% that I forget requires a few minutes to mentally reset myself.

ssb
12-23-2019, 09:33 AM
In town or changing lanes, always. My car has a camera in the passenger side mirror that activates when I turn on the passenger-side signal, which encourages me to use it. I've gotten lazier, however, to the point where if my turn is not affecting traffic (i.e. merging on an interstate, changing from one interstate to another in the designated lane for doing so, etc.) I won't use it.

blues
12-23-2019, 09:38 AM
I pretty much use it all the time I'm turning. And turn it off if it doesn't go off automatically for some reason.

Shoresy
12-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Yes.

Using a turn signal isn't a conscious decision for me.

I engage my turn signal every time I turn. On empty rural highways, in the small roads and through-ways of my apt complex. If my wheel is going right or left, my turn signal is on to let you know, appropriately in advance of the turn.

Completely blows my mind when people do not return the favor. It takes <1 second. there is no downside to doing so.

I live on a dead-end street and I used the turn signal turning into my fucking driveway. At 3am. In a blizzard. And I asked myself WTF I was doing.

So yes, I do use my turn signal 99.99% of the time. That 0.01% that I forget requires a few minutes to mentally reset myself.

All of this. If the wheel is turning (or about to) the signal is on. And yes, not necessarily "3AM in a blizzard", but not necessarily NOT "3AM in a blizzard". I've done it enough at the driveway, and been in enough blizzards in the middle of the night that two have probably coincided.

BWT
12-23-2019, 09:43 AM
Yes,

It’s a signal. I’ve ridden with people who flip out (ETA:) when people won’t let them in... without their signal on. Or speeding up and trying to merge in and only turn the signal on when they’re merging. I’m like “you’re already merging at this point screw it - you’re already half way in the lane”.

SD
12-23-2019, 09:45 AM
Do you use your turn signal in a turn-only lane
No; of course it is used at/during turns, lane changing, and keeping left for shoulder obstructions "move over". Along with signaling my intention and direction of movement, mirrors are incorporated with this activity. What is troubling are the I don't give a fuck-drivers, they change lanes without signaling or even looking. Best of all are the drivers that refuse you to merge, change lanes, these special fuckers deserve a special place in Hell! Here in Nastyville, Tennessee the interstate system was poorly designed to start, compounded with significant population growth (urban-sprawl) and heavy commercial vehicle traffic and zero traffic enforcement and you get this nightmare we try to travel in everyday!

trailrunner
12-23-2019, 09:48 AM
The only time I would *NOT* use a turn signal would be if I was being pursued by the cops in a high-speed chase. Since that's never going to happen ;) , I always use my turn signal.

I was behind someone yesterday going from a busy road (Ox Road) into a shopping center and then through the parking lot. The person made three turns, yet did not use their turn signal a single time. I just don't understand why not.

Darth_Uno
12-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Back roads out where I live, no. Nobody is usually around.

Any time there’s other traffic I use my turn signals as much as possible, including turn only lanes. Not so much out of courtesy, but so you can make an informed decision and not run into me.

TGS
12-23-2019, 09:58 AM
No; of course it is used at/during turns, lane changing, and keeping left for shoulder obstructions "move over". Along with signaling my intention and direction of movement, mirrors are incorporated with this activity. What is troubling are the I don't give a fuck-drivers, they change lanes without signaling or even looking. Best of all are the drivers that refuse you to merge, change lanes, these special fuckers deserve a special place in Hell! Here in Nastyville, Tennessee the interstate system was poorly designed to start, compounded with significant population growth (urban-sprawl) and heavy commercial vehicle traffic and zero traffic enforcement and you get this nightmare we try to travel in everyday!

Perspective.

I led a motorcade in Nashville for a week and it's probably some of the easiest traffic I've ever had to work in.

JTQ
12-23-2019, 10:04 AM
I always use my turn signal.

I can't stand sitting there and listening to the damn thing. #ModsHereAreShit (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=ModsHereAreShit)
However, my 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis has developed an annoyingly fast signal, it is not the normal speed the car started out with, and it does drive me nuts. If I'm stopped at a light for an extended period of time, I'll turn the signal off.

SD
12-23-2019, 10:16 AM
TGS Thanks for the encouraging comment on local traffic as compared with your experience elsewhere. This motorcade that you lead for a week in Nashville, was this a private affair, or was it working as a LEO assignment? Before living here I resided in Georgia and travelled Atlanta pretty much daily and found it to be much more "driver-friendly".

farscott
12-23-2019, 10:25 AM

However, my 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis has developed an annoyingly fast signal, it is not the normal speed the car started out with, and it does drive me nuts. If I'm stopped at a light for an extended period of time, I'll turn the signal off.

That means either you have a bad (open circuit) bulb or the flasher relay needs to be replaced. The easiest way to check is to turn on the emergency flashers and walk the perimeter. If the lights are all lit, it is the relay; if not, you know which bulb(s) to replace.

Robinson
12-23-2019, 10:27 AM
I swear drivers here in GA don't realize their vehicles are equipped with turn signals. Either that or they'd just rather make you guess what their intentions are.

I almost always use my turn signal even in a turn-only lane.

BN
12-23-2019, 10:33 AM

What Farscott said. Either the people in front or behind you aren't seeing any signal. I'll be behind somebody and seeing the fast flash, and I know their front bulb is burned out.

JohnO
12-23-2019, 10:37 AM

I always wonder about the people/cars I inevitably encounter on the road, those who drive along oblivious to their flashing turn signal for miles and miles. Literally the light is on/flashing and no one is home!

BehindBlueI's
12-23-2019, 12:09 PM
I swear drivers here in GA don't realize their vehicles are equipped with turn signals. Either that or they'd just rather make you guess what their intentions are.

I almost always use my turn signal even in a turn-only lane.

I just assumed that somewhere in Tennessee there was a line and cars sold further south weren't factory equipped with turn signals.

Totem Polar
12-23-2019, 12:23 PM
Like much of life, it depends.

I damn near always use my turn signal if my car is moving—even pulling into my own driveway at 2am with not another soul on the road.

*However*, comma, that deal that you (LL) and others describe where you’re sitting in a dedicated, carved out lane at a light, waiting for the green arrow to permit you to turn left? I turn it off as soon as I stop, because I don't want to listen to it click either. Especially if I’m in a lane with cars stopped in front and behind me. No point in suffering.

I voted the shit mod party line, btw.

LittleLebowski
12-23-2019, 12:28 PM
Why don't people use their rear defrost when they should?

BehindBlueI's
12-23-2019, 12:28 PM
I turn it off as soon as I stop, because I don't want to listen to it click either.

I can't stand sitting there and listening to the damn thing.

Is the 8 track player in your car busted or what?

You guys probably won't be enthralled with this if you are annoyed by your own turn signal noise (skip to about 43 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ301QEoo9Y

Totem Polar
12-23-2019, 12:30 PM

Because they’re broken. Both the defrost, and the drivers. Otherwise they would.

Is the 8 track player in your car busted or what?

You guys probably won't be enthralled with this if you are annoyed by your own turn signal noise (skip to about 43 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ301QEoo9Y

That is awesome. I should do that with my ‘86 town car and "breaking the law" by Judas Priest. That would be some ironic shit, right there. :D

You know what I hate? The seat belt buzzer in my wife’s jeep. That thing comes on and starts dinging in my left ear the minute the car starts to roll—I get it: seat belts save lives. But not while pulling from one parking space to the loading zone to pick up or drop off gear, and not pulling forward in line at a gas stop.

2 tons of iconic, American, bad-ass "trail rated," forge-36-inches-of-water muscle and freedom on 4 knobby-tired wheels, and the thing nannies my behavior like a 23-year old gender studies grad student. Freedom™️ my ass.

Old Man Winter
12-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Is my wife in the car?

RoyGBiv
12-23-2019, 12:35 PM
+1
If I'm in a turn lane with nobody behind me, turn signal is on.
If I'm in a lane of traffic with no turn lane, turn signal is on.
If when somebody pulls behind me in a turn lane, turn signal turned off.
When the light goes green for my turn, turn signal on.

Duelist
12-23-2019, 12:42 PM

Because the guy that put the tint in broke it. I got three lines that still get hot.

rd62
12-23-2019, 01:08 PM
Turn signal

MichaelD
12-23-2019, 01:10 PM
I can't stand sitting there and listening to the damn thing. #ModsHereAreShit (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=ModsHereAreShit)My wife is the same way; the clicking drives her nuts. I make it a point to only signal as I get in the lane, then turn it back on when the light is about to go green when she's in the car. Otherwise I always use the signal in a turn-only lane.

Zincwarrior
12-23-2019, 01:25 PM

I am the same. I will signal getting into the lane and then once the vehicle is moving again. If I am sitting at a long light I will stop until the light changes.

LittleLebowski
12-23-2019, 02:04 PM
Because they’re broken. Both the defrost, and the drivers. Otherwise they would.

I see it all of the time on newer vehicles.

Totem Polar
12-23-2019, 02:11 PM
I see it all of the time on newer vehicles.

That narrows it down, then. ;)

Darth_Uno
12-23-2019, 02:17 PM

That is awesome. I should do that with my ‘86 town car and "breaking the law" by Judas Priest. That would be some ironic shit, right there. :D

You know what I hate? The seat belt buzzer in my wife’s jeep. That thing comes on and starts dinging in my left ear the minute the car starts to roll—I get it: seat belts save lives. But not while pulling from one parking space to the loading zone to pick up or drop off gear, and not pulling forward in line at a gas stop.

2 tons of iconic, American, bad-ass "trail rated," forge-36-inches-of-water muscle and freedom on 4 knobby-tired wheels, and the thing nannies my behavior like a 23-year old gender studies grad student. Freedom[emoji3481] my ass.

Yes, my 17 Silverado is far more obnoxious about it than my 13 Silverado. 13 is “ding ding, put it on or don’t, I did my job”. 17 is, “ding ding ding ding dingdingdingdingdingputyourseatbeltonyoutrumpvotin gpieceofshitdingdingding”, until it badgers me into compliance.

Totem Polar
12-23-2019, 02:23 PM
Yes, my 17 Silverado is far more obnoxious about it than my 13 Silverado. 13 is “ding ding, put it on or don’t, I did my job”. 17 is, “ding ding ding ding dingdingdingdingdingputyourseatbeltonyoutrumpvotin gpieceofshitdingdingding”, until it badgers me into compliance.

Right? There are times when you just want to ease into a level spot amongst the rocks overlooking a river and put up the rooftop tent without the desolate, wilderness night air being cut by "dingsingdingding" carrying across miles of pristine water. Fucking farcical. It’s like Cohen-era SIG designed the buzzer.

ETA: and don’t get me started on using the horn to signal that the doors are locked when you trigger the key fob. Even an entry-level kia or Hyundai springs for a 50 cent noisemaker to chirp gently when locking/alarming. The American SUVs... someone has probably died of cardiac arrest while sitting on a Starbucks patio because of a horn going off in a parking space next to them.

Doc_Glock
12-23-2019, 02:33 PM
I'll stand up with all you do gooders and say I use them selectively.

People around I need to communicate with: use. No one around: don't bother for the most part.

GyroF-16
12-23-2019, 03:58 PM
Yes.

AND

The mods here are shit.

revchuck38
12-23-2019, 04:17 PM

Because they don't know what they're for. Same goes for rear window wiper blades.

0ddl0t
12-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Turning right? Always.

Turning left? When entering the turn lane, but I keep it on only if doing a U-turn.

TC215
12-23-2019, 07:00 PM

The biggest part of the problem is that no one in Nashville knows how to drive.

Joe45
12-23-2019, 07:04 PM
Yes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CS Tactical
12-23-2019, 07:40 PM

I'm puzzled when I see people in newer cars and their windows are all fogged up and they don't use the defroster. :confused:

0ddl0t
12-23-2019, 10:31 PM
I'm puzzled when I see people in newer cars and their windows are all fogged up and they don't use the defroster. :confused:

Seeing your location reminds me of all the Elk Grove McMansions I see with 3+ car garages yet few seem to actually use them to park their cars. Hello people, put away all the crap you have stacked in there and you can just hop in your car & drive to work with clear windows every morning...

Arbninftry
12-23-2019, 10:48 PM
Unless I am driving in the Middle East

Lex Luthier
12-23-2019, 10:53 PM

Check all of your signal lamps. If one is going or is blown out, it will double the speed of the on/off impulse.

Borderland
12-23-2019, 11:02 PM
I never use them.

Uses more fossil fuel which is hard on the environment.

0ddl0t
12-23-2019, 11:12 PM
Check all of your signal lamps. If one is going or is blown out, it will double the speed of the on/off impulse.

Yup. It can also happen if you replace traditional bulbs with LEDs without matching the original resistance.

GJM
12-23-2019, 11:48 PM

It is possible they are using their defroster, but have “recirculate” selected, which makes their windows fog even with defrost on. I know a woman who sold her Land Cruiser and got a Cherokee, or vice versa, because her windows were “always fogged” when she drove to Vermont to go skiing. She was t amused when I pointed out “recirculate.”

The main reason to use a turn signal is if your vehicle is equipped with “lane assist,” because using the signal stops lane assist from squawking at you when you change lanes. :p

beenalongtime
12-23-2019, 11:56 PM
This is muy importante, answer as if your life depends on it.

Well, today, I was wondering about how this was worded.

Did I drive along side of you, while you drove for miles, with your right turn signal on, five miles before deciding to get in the turn only lane? (eventual right)

CS Tactical
12-24-2019, 02:46 PM
Seeing your location reminds me of all the Elk Grove McMansions I see with 3+ car garages yet few seem to actually use them to park their cars. Hello people, put away all the crap you have stacked in there and you can just hop in your car & drive to work with clear windows every morning...

Garages are for cars??? ;)

I'll say this, my garage would be to narrow for both are cars in at the same time. At least to keep my wife from rubbing paint between her can and mine :o

CS Tactical
12-24-2019, 02:48 PM
It is possible they are using their defroster, but have “recirculate” selected, which makes their windows fog even with defrost on. I know a woman who sold her Land Cruiser and got a Cherokee, or vice versa, because her windows were “always fogged” when she drove to Vermont to go skiing. She was t amused when I pointed out “recirculate.”

The main reason to use a turn signal is if your vehicle is equipped with “lane assist,” because using the signal stops lane assist from squawking at you when you change lanes. :p

From the specific type of people that does this consistently and how they drive, I'll bet 20 P-F dollars that they just don't think it's a problem.

Darth_Uno
12-25-2019, 12:40 AM

I built my home with a 44’ wide 4 car garage. I can still only get two vehicles in there. Granted one half kinda evolved into a workshop that I’m not really inclined to clear out just to park my work truck inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie
12-25-2019, 12:48 AM
Yes. Always.

Hambo
12-25-2019, 08:01 AM

You need to move to Florida. No AWB and turn signals are totally optional. Want to change lanes, just move your car into it whether there's room or not. Motherfuckers should know what you want to do without you having to signal them.

For the record, I'm one of six people in the state who use signals all the time.

Olim9
12-25-2019, 01:09 PM
I view turn signals like a manual safety on an AR15

Almost no one that I see uses them.

awp_101
12-26-2019, 11:11 AM
Dedicated turn lane only? Depends, is there a cop around? :cool:

J0hnny
12-26-2019, 11:34 PM
Hell yeah I signal, always when moving it's responsible. Like others have said I'll wait for the turn lane green to activate

Drang
12-26-2019, 11:40 PM
WA Supreme Court just ruled that turn signals are mandatory, even in turn only lanes.
(@SidheShooter...)

Court: Turn signals always required to turn, change lanes in Washington

The Washington state Supreme Court has unanimously ruled that drivers must use their signal every time they turn or change lanes on a roadway.

Thursday’s ruling reverses a Court of Appeals ruling that said a signal is required only when public safety is affected.

The high court ruled that the plain language of the law requires drivers “to ensure turns and lane changes are done safely and with an appropriate turn signal."

I think "only when public safety is affected" might have been a tad vague...

41magfan
12-27-2019, 06:14 AM
Sometimes, but not always.

In my state the law requires drivers on streets, highways and public vehicular areas to signal before starting stopping or turning from a direct line if another vehicle may be affected. Changing lanes is a turn requiring a signal under this provision of law.

rcbusmc24
12-27-2019, 06:46 AM
So.... Currently I'm in Seoul SK doing the deployed Marine thing... Turn signals are optional here it appears. Had to run a convoy of busses, cargo trucks, vans and SUVs from near the DMZ into Seoul. I almost murdered this entire country... Stop living up to the stereotypes, please.

TGS
12-27-2019, 07:00 AM
TGS Thanks for the encouraging comment on local traffic as compared with your experience elsewhere. This motorcade that you lead for a week in Nashville, was this a private affair, or was it working as a LEO assignment? Before living here I resided in Georgia and travelled Atlanta pretty much daily and found it to be much more "driver-friendly".

Working as a LEO, all over the city area including that relatively nasty section that was under construction on the SW side a few months ago.

I used to think DC/NOVA was bad when I was in the Marines, and then I left the Marines at got posted in NY. The stress levels for both my wife and I went down significantly when we moved back to the DC area, it's child's play here compared to NYC area, and Nashville wasn't even in the same league compared to DC.

The TN Trooper I was paired with had previously worked on a federal detail in DC, and his thoughts aligned with mine.

UNM1136
12-27-2019, 05:34 PM
Didn't vote.

It is a longstanding (30 years I have been driving) that any use of turn signals is a sign of weakness. Only prey would telegraph intentions. Predators with road rage seek out prey, not other predators.:cool:

I tend to use them, and was especially conscious when driving a marked unit on day/swing shift, because during that period of work traffic complaints seem to abound. BUT the 2013 Explorer Police Interceptor did things with the turn signal that was just....wierd.The vehicles' programming was trying to help with the control of the signal I am sure for Safety and Convenience &#0153. Fortunately the Interceptor in queston has been reassigned to bike patrol and Ford seems to have abandoned the concept. The newer Interceptors seem to have reverted to a simpler, more intuitive manner of use.

In all seriousness, I have three teens in the house, and the wife insists I set the example as prey, but I insist on my right and ability to contest the categorization as "prey", with threatened and actual violence.:cool:

pat

HopetonBrown
12-27-2019, 05:39 PM
I'll just say that I use a turn signal to convey my intentions, never to ask for permission.

Hambo
12-27-2019, 06:39 PM
I'll just say that I use a turn signal to convey my intentions, never to ask for permission.

And I will only use my truck mounted Bushmaster 25mm to convey how signals should be used, never out of anger. :D

Sensei
12-27-2019, 07:31 PM
There is a special place in Hell for people who don’t use their turn signal - right next to guys like Epstein, Gacy, and Bundy.